Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sh*te your co-workers say

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Worked with the female version of that boss. Emails sent at ridiculous hours, to show how early / late she worked. She would go missing for hours from her desk, on personal stuff, so if her actual working hours were added up, they were probably the same as everyone else's.
    Shortly before we parted ways, I completed a particular piece of work, and sent it on for her review, on a Friday. She went into the office on the Sunday, to forward it, unchanged, on to the relevant department.
    'Look at me, I'm so busy, I come in at weekends to catch up... :D'

I work with a fella now who does it.
    Can't find him from 10 till 3 but a 10pm email and phone call the next morning to point out same email.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Tarzann

A few years ago I worked with 5 colleagues, who carpooled together each day from a midlands town to our Co. Kildare workplace, which involved using the M4 which is tolled near Enfield/Kilcock.
    They would proudly tell us how they avoided the toll every day by driving through Kilcock or Enfield, "would want to be stupid to be paying that" etc etc. Avoiding the toll added 10 minutes to the journey.

The toll is €2.90 each way, so 5 days per week = 10 tolls, or €29.00 per week between 5 of them = €5.80 each.
    10 journeys x 10 extra minutes = 100 minutes.

They valued the €5.80 in their pocket more than the 1hr 40 minutes of commute time per week, or valued their time at €3.49 per hour, that they would prefer to be squeezed into a car with their colleagues rather than at home.

At least 3 of these individuals were engineers whose job involved making data-based decisions...

I get wound up even thinking about it now!

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭mayo londoner

Have one of these also, comes in at 6.30 every morning for no apparent reason and doesn't leave till 7, lets the whole office know when she's coming in to work on a Saturday and has a habit of sending nonsense emails early in the morning CC'ing Directors. She's paid 9-5.15 and no overtime paid or time in lieu offered, not even a bonus or a thank you email from the Managing Director at Xmas, it's bizzare, worse thing is that she's been doing this for guts of 5yrs.

She'll let everyone know how busy she is (loudest person I know and everything is greatly exaggerated),is the office gossip and sticks her nose into anyones conversation. Married to the workplace for no extra reward, quite sad/pathetic really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Have one of these also, comes in at 6.30 every morning for no apparent reason and doesn't leave till 7, lets the whole office know when she's coming in to work on a Saturday and has a habit of sending nonsense emails early in the morning CC'ing Directors. She's paid 9-5.15 and no overtime paid or time in lieu offered, not even a bonus or a thank you email from the Managing Director at Xmas, it's bizzare, worse thing is that she's been doing this for guts of 5yrs.

She'll let everyone know how busy she is (loudest person I know and everything is greatly exaggerated),is the office gossip and sticks her nose into anyones conversation. Married to the workplace for no extra reward, quite sad/pathetic really.

Ah but my late night emailer literally dis sappers for have the day too.
    Not married to the workplace at all.
    Could be in the pub at midday for all we know

• Registered Users Posts: 10,825 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I can understand someone pretending to be working all kinds of times. It's pathetic, but it's rational: they're playing the system to try and get raises and promotions.

But someone who does it, actually does it, out of a genuine sense of loyalty to the company, I'll never understand. Someone said earlier that companies seem to demand our loyalty on a level akin to the 50s but without providing anything like the security or loyalty of a 50s company in return. They will spit you out as and when it is convenient for them to do so in the pursuit of profit. Being loyal to that is mental. But I think for some people it's just using the job to fill an empty void in their life anyway.

To quote The Wire: "the job will not save you Jimmy".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭anewme

A new mailbox was set up today from a central function.

Reply and let us know if you get this mail.

But how would you know you did'nt get it, if you did'nt get it.

I got it, but am not going to reply.

There will be a big drama.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Worked with the female version of that boss. Emails sent at ridiculous hours, to show how early / late she worked. She would go missing for hours from her desk, on personal stuff, so if her actual working hours were added up, they were probably the same as everyone else's.
    Shortly before we parted ways, I completed a particular piece of work, and sent it on for her review, on a Friday. She went into the office on the Sunday, to forward it, unchanged, on to the relevant department.
    'Look at me, I'm so busy, I come in at weekends to catch up... :D'

I will catch up at the weekend but rather than being that wanker I will compose all my emails but leave them as drafts to send on Monday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭seagull

Some of the mails sent out of hours are probably done just using the delay delivery option. Send a mail out at 5, but set it to only deliver after 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭mistersifter

There are companies now that prohibit sending emails outside of certain times.

should be done more to prevent sad b*stards hounding people outside of working hours.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

There are companies now that prohibit sending emails outside of certain times.

should be done more to prevent sad b*stards hounding people outside of working hours.

You do realise some people work along side the Americas and APAC and have no other option than to send out of hours mails

• Advertisement

You do realise some people work along side the Americas and APAC and have no other option than to send out of hours mails

Obviously I am not referring to such situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Um. Send the mail in your own normal working hours? The Americans will pick it up when they come in, same way you could pick up the mails the Asians send when you come in. You don't have to work outside contracted hours (except in exceptional circumstances) and nor should you.

What I slightly bizarre is people complaining about getting emails after hours or at the weekends but yet the same person has gone and logged in anyway to check emails clearly expecting emails...:confused:

Nobody is making you log in and check.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,301 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

just set replys not to send till 10pm , yeh i was working then !!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 croker99

anewme wrote: »
    A new mailbox was set up today from a central function.

Reply and let us know if you get this mail.

But how would you know you did'nt get it, if you did'nt get it.

I got it, but am not going to reply.

There will be a big drama.

What?

Maybe they have a list of all employees and by process of elimination they can find out those that didn't get it (or who are mental like yourself :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Anytime anyone sneezes.

"Ah Jaysus, lookout lads, it's the Coronavirus"

Amazingly, still not funny after the 20th time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

We have a workmate that has to tell us every single thing they are doing or going to do

Just do it and shut the F*** up. We don't need to know the details

• Registered Users Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭Ginger83

I'm nearly touching cloth here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭KaneToad

I've worked with plenty of people like this, over the years. I used to pity them but I guess they must derive some satisfaction/pleasure from behaving like this in their work life. Some people just live to work. Off with them - as long as I'm not expected to follow suit...

I used to work with one of these weekend emailers.

The same fella would also take annual leave and then insist on stopping by the office.

He'd arrive in wearing a Leinster jersey and lounge around the place talking shop to whomever would listen.

Like he just happened to be passing by and thought he'd pop the head in and check how everyone was getting on without him.

"LOOK at me wearing JEANS in the OFFICE. I'm casual, yet dedicated!".

Sap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭facehugger99

The same fella would also take annual leave and then insist on stopping by the office.

He'd arrive in wearing a Leinster jersey and lounge around the place talking shop to whomever would listen.

Like he just happened to be passing by and thought he'd pop the head in and check how everyone was getting on without him.

Sap.

I had a boss like this. He would sometimes pop into the office when he was on leave wearing jeans and a polo shirt.

He was usually a 'full-suit' guy but he told me that the 'message' of his attire was 'I'm here, but I'm not here'.

I remember thinking, 'couldn't you just not not be here?'

Sap.

What a gob****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,824 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

KaneToad wrote: »
    I've worked with plenty of people like this, over the years. I used to pity them but I guess they must derive some satisfaction/pleasure from behaving like this in their work life. Some people just live to work. Off with them - as long as I'm not expected to follow suit...

It’s living to work, their whole identity is tied into this, if they finish some work /project/task they can’t chill for 20 minutes . Problem usually with the ones I’ve known is they start volunteering to do work that isn’t even in the scope of their employment, then that becomes the expectation and their colleagues get lumbered with it too, people finishing Friday evening fûcked dot com, their tasks have increased 30% because Mr. “ahh sure we done mind doing that”. ‘WE’ :rolleyes: do your agreed allotted tasks under your job description and grade, NO extras, no matter if you do have 30 minutes downtime, not your fault... the minute you take on stuff giving a ‘dig out’ it will quickly become the expectancy and the responsibility of you and your colleagues.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭larko

I work with a large lady who is constantly on a diet. Every single day after she is finished lunch she says. ....."I'd eat that again".. maybe if you didnt down it like a pelican throwing down a fish you might savour it more. Can you kill someone with a blunt teaspoon?

Sap.

I worked with a similar one, he’d pop in Saturday morning, ask how we were all getting on, say he was on his way to abc, a big deal that he popped in you know.. then start giving the fellas on the production line a dig out, they didn’t need it and it wasn’t his job, but ‘super hero’ syndrome doesn’t credit itself.

Strumms wrote: »
    It’s living to work, their whole identity is tied into this, if they finish some work /project/task they can’t chill for 20 minutes . Problem usually with the ones I’ve known is they start volunteering to do work that isn’t even in the scope of their employment, then that becomes the expectation and their colleagues get lumbered with it too, people finishing Friday evening fûcked dot com, their tasks have increased 30% because Mr. “ahh sure we done mind doing that”. ‘WE’ :rolleyes: do your agreed allotted tasks under your job description and grade, NO extras, no matter if you do have 30 minutes downtime, not your fault... the minute you take on stuff giving a ‘dig out’ it will quickly become the expectancy and the responsibility of you and your colleagues.

Have a chat with him, tell him you are sick of taking on extra work ;)

Have a chat with him, tell him you are sick of taking on extra work ;)

It’s a work situation from a long time ago, when he was challenged about it we were dismissed out of hand by him... “nope I don’t care , I can help who I want, those guys should get a dig out”... he ended up having a major falling out with management and had to look for a transfer, that’s where it got him, meanwhile the rest of us left there were snowed under as a result of his ‘digging out’ he dug us a hole of never ending work the greedy attention seeking tool. I developed health issues I’ve just about kicked after 3 and a bit years... because mr ego who loved a pat on the back just wouldn’t say NO.

On a slightly different note, I have experienced ex employees coming in to say "Hello" and just hanging around sometimes years after they left. If you want to catch up meet in the pub or something not in the place of work. It is just weird.

Fcuk off.

• Advertisement

On a slightly different note, I have experienced ex employees coming in to say "Hello" and just hanging around sometimes years after they left. If you want to catch up meet in the pub or something not in the place of work. It is just weird.

Fcuk off.

Your an angry man PG :pac:

Advertisement