Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread VIII (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

One interesting and positive Barnier comment from todays meeting. Just paraphrasing but he said something like this. "In a hard Brexit, the EU won't do any business with the UK until the Border and the GFA are protected."

Makes the Brexitier phrase ‘they need us more than we need them’ sound even more deluded.

The whole thing is a complete disaster with absolutely no winners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

All the headbangers abandoning ship now.wouldn't mind that lad too much given that a few months ago that Britain had got screwd after ww2.i wonder if marc of the territorial army fame's letter today was peak brexiteer hot air and that come Friday brexit is cancelled

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

How Teresa May is still in power is beyond me, she was burnt toast long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Ironically, UKIP and the Brexit Party could wind up stopping each other getting MEPs, if this Welsh poll is representative:

http://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1115320751459057664

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Gael23 wrote: »
    If there was someone even semi competent in opposition they would have wiped the floor with May and the Tories by now. Corbyn is less of an opposition and more of a complicit facilitator.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,387 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Gael23 wrote: »

Because the task she has is so impossible and unsolvable that no one in their right minds would want it at this point and time. Replacing her doesn’t solve a thing

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Ironically, UKIP and the Brexit Party could wind up stopping each other getting MEPs, if this Welsh poll is representative:

They have up to ten member constituencies, where that'd return one each (albeit said constituency had 4 UKIP last time I think). Not many constituencies are as small as Wales.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Amusing opener from Newsnight. Not sure it helps the political atmosphere in the UK though.

https://twitter.com/BBCNewsnight/status/1115367558541004800

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

Just tuned into Claire Byrne show- first off bloody Hermann Irexit Kelly running for the EU parliament- the parliament he wants us out of lol. Our very own euro shop Farage

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭WhiteMan32

"TM to consider giving MPs vote on second referendum" - too good to be true?

Read more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Gintonious wrote: »

Mairead Mcguinness is always a solid reliable performer. A definite asset in all this and voice of sanity for ireland in Europe

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

road_high wrote: »
    Just tuned into Claire Byrne show- first off bloody Hermann Irexit Kelly running for the EU parliament- the parliament he wants us out of lol. Our very own euro shop Farage

The UKIP/Brexit party guy made me especially angry. "Michel Barnier is using the years and years of pain in Ireland as a negotiating chip". Has he no self awareness about being an Englishman talking to an Irish audience about years and years of pain? As for Ireland being used as a negotiating chip, that was Britains plan until they went all in on their first hand and lost their shirts, to extend the analogy.

Also liked Mairead McGuinness saying if the Brexiteers were in power, for all their talk, theyd run a mile. A point rarely made on BBC, Sky etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,849 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Go wan Guy

Irish common sense in UK politics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

By God I hope he miserably fails. Hopefully the electorate see through him. It would be an absolute waste to vote him In.

By God I hope he miserably fails. Hopefully the electorate see through him. It would be an absolute waste to vote him In.

There’ll always be a certain audience for associated looney tune candidates with various anti establishment agendas.

That Nathan Gill is a shocking arrogant twat.

And the said twat is going to run again...dear Christ they hate it so much they want to run again and again. Arseholes like him make me want a No Deal push out

• Registered Users Posts: 53,849 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I always find SNP come across very well and can understand why they are very popular in Scotland. They seem to be only capable MP's in Westminster and i'm a big fan Nicola Sturgeon.

Brexit is kinda a win win situation for them, that if it happens Scottish Independence is closer than ever or if Brexit is canceled they stay in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,999 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

These twerps regularly heckle Donald Tusk and Michel Barnier in the European Parliament along with their messiah Farage. They're a bunch of vandals.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

And the said twat is going to run again...dear Christ they hate it so much they want to run again and again. Arseholes like him make me want a No Deal push out

Mod note:

Youve been warned about this type of contriubtion a number of times. If you cant make your points without curse words then maybe the politics forum isnt for you

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Strazdas wrote: »
    These twerps regularly heckle Donald Tusk and Michel Barnier in the European Parliament along with their messiah Farage. They're a bunch of vandals.

Farage barely even shows up. He has the 6th worst attendance record of all MEPs in the entire EU parliament

• Registered Users Posts: 17,999 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Farage barely even shows up. He has the 6th worst attendance record of all MEPs in the entire EU parliament

He's scarcely a "politician" at all. I would describe him more as a TV / media personality.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

He's scarcely a "politician" at all. I would describe him more as a TV / media personality.

As a politician, Farage is a triumph of style over substance. Or, to put it another way, he's all fur coat and no knickers. And so he plays beautifully to the great unwashed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Plus trying to cheat the abhorrent EU out of money by trying to get the EU to pay for his EU assistant who is not actually an EU assistant!

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/jan/12/nigel-farage-eu-salary-docked-claim-misspent-public-funds

Says it all about him!

I listened to some of his radio show this evening (I don't know why I do it to myself) - they font let many remainers on - and you'd notice when the odd one does get on, they don't get to stay on nearly as long as the Leavers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,543 ✭✭✭✭briany

It's funny how the right wing of the British press and public have really taken to calling Jeremy Corbyn a Marxist, and therefore should not be trusted with Brexit. The tone they say it with makes it sound like Marxist = convicted criminal. Also, using it to describe Jeremy Corbyn is direct evidence that they're either being provocative, haven't read Marx, or even googled the term. Not that those wont to call Corbyn a Marxist care about such subtleties.

Meanwhile the actual reason not to trust Corbyn on Brexit is that he is stubbornly playing party politics as much as the other crowd and has so far failed to hold the process to account.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Honestly this whole "Irexit" thing stink's of a 5th column subversive group of either Brexiteer rejects from the UK trying to interfere in our country (POORLY) to try and bolster their United Memedom vanity project or possibly another paid Russian front to try and break up the EU. Hopefully it burns out like the likes of Renua: all waffle but ultimately a big massive turd in terms of quality only fit for the electorial bin.

http://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1115320751459057664

If it result's in Nigel Farage not getting elected then happy days and poetic karma for it happening. Need people who give a damn bout their country and people in there not parasitical rejects out for their own benefit and causing nothing but trouble while stirring the pot.
    The UKIP/Brexit party guy made me especially angry. "Michel Barnier is using the years and years of pain in Ireland as a negotiating chip". Has he no self awareness about being an Englishman talking to an Irish audience about years and years of pain? As for Ireland being used as a negotiating chip, that was Britains plan until they went all in on their first hand and lost their shirts, to extend the analogy.

Also liked Mairead McGuinness saying if the Brexiteers were in power, for all their talk, theyd run a mile. A point rarely made on BBC, Sky etc.

It the problem with the UK media over there atm they let these Brexiteer wasters constantly run their mouths unchallenged and unwilling to call out the gaping flaws in their arguments. That Mairead McGuiness outtake is the exact kind of putting them on the spot approach that's needed with them, she literally points out their "no deal" is a literal void of nothingness and any deal's they do get are either inconsequencial and tiny or they have to wait at the back of the line after the EU and take what they're given.

The whole problem the Brexiteer's have is that they cannot accept that alone they're not only powerless but subject to the whim's of bigger players. They fail to grap reality or worse would rather mislead people for personal gain.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

As a politician, Farage is a triumph of style over substance. Or, to put it another way, he's all fur coat and no knickers. And so he plays beautifully to the great unwashed.

The EU are hinting that Farage and co. won't be given the same free reign to disrupt the Parliament that they were given in the last session.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

The EU are hinting that Farage and co. won't be given the same free reign to disrupt the Parliament that they were given in the last session.
    He wasn't that disruptive. He was hardly ever there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

And how would they achieve that exactly?

It's a Parliament and he would be an elected representative. They can't start getting into anything murky like censorship as that will be just grist to the mill of Brexiteers and anti EU factions across Europe.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement