Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread VIII (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I think we should wait and see

• Registered Users Posts: 19,387 ✭✭✭✭road_high

branie2 wrote: »
    I think we should wait and see

May is going to Brussels (again) this week isn’t she? So assume something will be agreed (or not) there

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

road_high wrote: »
    May is going to Brussels (again) this week isn’t she? So assume something will be agreed (or not) there

I think that they will agree to another extension.
    I'm fed up with EU playing softly softly to UK. Total waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Irish Praetorian

Scoondal wrote: »
    If a country takes actions that breaks an internationally recognised peace agreement, then the UN can impose sanctions on such a country. Either that or Mrs. May revokes article 50.

The UN can only really implement sanctions through the Security Council, which counts amongst its members...the UK. Now this current UK government does have something of a record when it comes to ineptitude but the prospect that they might forget to veto sanctions proposed against themselves is still fairly slim.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

The Tory party is apparently giving in to fighting the EU elections

https://twitter.com/jessicaelgot/status/1115294199941861376

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,728 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

It looks to be in the balance what will happen, it all depends on the UK, the EU will have a hard decision to make, but I think we would all love to move on from the current process which started near 3 years ago, and the UK still have not left, still not able to decide in parliament what it wants.
    Everyone is just fed up of going around in circles and seemingly no further advanced. Maybe the merry go round had one last spin this week, we can't take many more.

I think that they will agree to another extension.
    I'm fed up with EU playing softly softly to UK. Total waste of time.

Part of me really agrees with you but I don't want Ireland to suffer the inevitable collateral damage in the process. Longer term we need to further orientate away from the U.K. alright

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

prawnsambo wrote: »
    But does that reflect the ECJ decision? Afaik, it stated that it could be revoked according to the country's constitutional provisions. And since the Gina Miller case established that parliament had to approve the A50 notification, does it not then also mean that parliament has to approve its revocation?

Well, according to this article, because parliament gave May the power to invoke A50, it also gave her the power to revoke A50. Essentially, she just has to write a letter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

So anyone know what’s goung to happen before Friday?!

Nobody knows. Personally, I bought as much as I could from my Amazon list this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,728 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Well, according to this article, because parliament gave May the power to invoke A50, it also gave her the power to revoke A50. Essentially, she just has to write a letter.

The only problem with revocation is it can't be used as part of a tactic to re-start exit talks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

RobertKK wrote: »
    The only problem with revocation is it can't be used as part of a tactic to re-start exit talks.

If recovation happens it should put a pause on the 2 year timer under Article 50 and not restart it.

RobertKK wrote: »

Agreed. It's not the hokey cokey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

Agreed. It's not the hokey cokey.

The only thing I am going to miss about Brexit is this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,999 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Every single time she meets Juncker, Merkel, Macron etc, it seems to be nothing more than a PR stunt aimed at the home audience.

Mr.Wemmick wrote: »
    The only thing I am going to miss about Brexit is this thread.

I’ve a feeling it’s going to go on and on ...

The UN can only really implement sanctions through the Security Council, which counts amongst its members...the UK. Now this current UK government does have something of a record when it comes to ineptitude but the prospect that they might forget to veto sanctions proposed against themselves is still fairly slim.

Okay. But could Ireland not bring it up at general assembly and see what support we have? I think that an international peace agreement is important in UN.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MikeSoys

if there is a no deal (not likely i feel) ftse stocks will be cheap.

Okay. But could Ireland not bring it up at general assembly and see what support we have? I think that an international peace agreement is important in UN.
    To be fair, the Palestinians have been trying that for years and you can see how far they have gotten with a far more grievous situation. Just another reason to dislike the UN, but alas, this brings us off-topic.

Let's not forget that the UK electorate voted for Brexit and then voted for their MPs in an election. This is how we have arrived at this situation.

To be fair, the Palestinians have been trying that for years and you can see how far they have gotten with a far more grievous situation. Just another reason to dislike the UN, but alas, this brings us off-topic.

But we are Ireland with the backing of 26 other European countries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,999 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Let's not forget that the UK electorate voted for Brexit and then voted for their MPs in an election. This is how we have arrived at this situation.

And the fact that May didn't get an overall majority would suggest that support for Brexit was already wavering somewhat - the Brexiteers tend to gloss over the GE and instead claim that everyone who voted for the Tories and Labour were endorsing Brexit (a ridiculous claim and an obvious lie).

EU should say no more extensions. UK parliament has voted against "No Deal Brexit". Therefore, UK should revoke Article 50 until they are able to carry it through. UK should stop wasting everyones time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

The British Government are organizing EU elections for May 23rd but intend to exit before this date and not actually run them

That's according to a #10 spokesman

Strazdas wrote: »
    And the fact that May didn't get an overall majority would suggest that support for Brexit was already wavering somewhat - the Brexiteers tend to gloss over the GE and instead claim that everyone who voted for the Tories and Labour were endorsing Brexit (a ridiculous claim and an obvious lie).

For people who do not live in UK, we do not care about what UK people want or voted for. That's their problem. We care about what the government of UK wants to do. If we knew that we could move forward.

But we are Ireland with the backing of 26 other European countries.
    I imagine the Ukrainians thought something similar when they were being invaded and when they had the support of more than 26 European countries. Alas the world we live in is one of realpolitik and grubby political squabbling, as it is with the UN so it is with Brexit and I suspect Britain will end up with an education in this fact fairly sharply if it goes down the route of No-Deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Anteayer

The big issue for the UK is the Irish American caucus in both the Democrats and Republican sides of the house would react to the UK when it sells a trade deal. They've only recent seemed to comprehend how much power the Irish American community holds if it's organised behind an issue.

There's a lot of realpolitik got the UK to face too as there was a lot of US backing for that NI peace process.

Laois_Man wrote: »
    The British Government are organizing EU elections for May 23rd but intend to exit before this date and not actually run them

That's according to a #10 spokesman

How ridiculous does that sound?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,620 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I imagine the Ukrainians thought something similar when they were being invaded and when they had the support of more than 26 European countries. Alas the world we live in is one of realpolitik and grubby political squabbling, as it is with the UN so it is with Brexit and I suspect Britain will end up with an education in this fact fairly sharply if it goes down the route of No-Deal.

Ukraine isnt in the EU though.

How ridiculous does that sound?

The EU parliament is going to feel deeply respected. Can they not just pause and reflect for one single moment on how self-defeating stunts like this are? No, obviously.

• Advertisement

Strazdas wrote: »
    Every single time she meets Juncker, Merkel, Macron etc, it seems to be nothing more than a PR stunt aimed at the home audience.

Yes that “spat” she orchestrated a few months ago with Junckers was purely for domestic consumption- oh look at me standing up to the evil EU!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement