Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forget biker.ie

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Agent_47

Posted for information in two posts, contacted administration as to how to view discounts section and my 10 Yr old account was closed for infractions!
    No email and no contact. Will stay away

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭CorkCBR6

What was very funny was when they opened their new Buying and Selling website.. that's why they didnt want to give newer people access to the Biker.ie buy and sell section!

Needless to say that site is dying a death! No are up at all..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

CorkCBR6 wrote: »
    What was very funny was when they opened their new Buying and Selling website.. that's why they didnt want to give newer people access to the Biker.ie buy and sell section!

Needless to say that site is dying a death! No are up at all..

Probably because the site was so popular people were joining just to sell their old tat and not contributing to the other threads...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

Probably because the site was so popular people were joining just to sell their old tat and not contributing to the other threads...

Yup, posters with one or 2 post all in the buy and sell section were marked men lol, still I bought (and sold) quite a lot through it in the good old days, you could have some sort of confidence knowing someone had been on the forum a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Same here..bu then you started to notice the "newbies" ...with their stupid questions.." whats a cbr600 ,no log book worth "....." what size helmet do i need"....where do i get tyres".....:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

bladespin wrote: »
    Found out over the weekend just how helpful it used to be resource wise, found out over the weekend there were lads on FB groups who didn't know who MAG were or what they did etc.

Saw that on FB...madness..

Miss all the old forums..

Lots of people won t do FB either cutting down on essential resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,228 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I heard mixed reviews on chop. On biker aything negative was deleted, members wanted to lick his hole or they'd be banned, so forget about anything you read on biker about him.

It was useful back in the day, but too many other sites are miles better. The vbulletin format is so bad too.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Needhome

Hes a mod on there,an a personal friend of the creator of biker.ie, he thinks hes the dogs boll*x an a wannabe dictator. Like silencing people for silly reasons an denying peoples right to express their opinions says it all what type of people those mods are. Chop is nothing but an old skool hippy out in the middle of nowhere fiddling around in his shed on bikes.
    Cienciano wrote: »
    I heard mixed reviews on chop. On biker aything negative was deleted, members wanted to lick his hole or they'd be banned, so forget about anything you read on biker about him.

It was useful back in the day, but too many other sites are miles better. The vbulletin format is so bad too.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭CorkBlackbird

Haven’t been on in years but remember Chopper being one of the more helpful ones

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Funny this thread got bumped actually because I was just talking a mate the other day or tried posting on there a few years back in the Workshop section (think that's what it's called) about some mechanical issue he was having and advice on what to do.

To be fair, the first response was apparently quite good and explained what he'd need to do on the bike, but it was pretty damn technical and this lad had no experience, space or equipment to get it done.

When he said that, but that he'd take it to a recommended mechanic near enough Dublin they lambasted him with comments and smart ass jokes about him not being a proper biker if he can't fully dismantle and repair it himself and a load of other stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Funny this thread got bumped actually because I was just talking a mate the other day or tried posting on there a few years back in the Workshop section (think that's what it's called) about some mechanical issue he was having and advice on what to do.

To be fair, the first response was apparently quite good and explained what he'd need to do on the bike, but it was pretty damn technical and this lad had no experience, space or equipment to get it done.

When he said that, but that he'd take it to a recommended mechanic near enough Dublin they lambasted him with comments and smart ass jokes about him not being a proper biker if he can't fully dismantle and repair it himself and a load of other stuff.

That's like the ideal summation of Biker.ie. Some decent posters and great advice, but ruined by the immaturity and circle-jerk nature of the core crew.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

That's like the ideal summation of Biker.ie. Some decent posters and great advice, but ruined by the immaturity and circle-jerk nature of the core crew.

It was basically my experience too.

Needhome wrote: »
    Hes a mod on there,an a personal friend of the creator of biker.ie, he thinks hes the dogs boll*x an a wannabe dictator. Like silencing people for silly reasons an denying peoples right to express their opinions says it all what type of people those mods are. Chop is nothing but an old skool hippy out in the middle of nowhere fiddling around in his shed on bikes.

Lol, if only you knew, having a giggle reading about Anto’s escapades, Chop isn’t Chop any more.

Lol, if only you knew, having a giggle reading about Anto’s escapades, Chop isn’t Chop any more.

How come?

Needhome wrote: »
    How come?

Not for me to say, sorry.

Not for me to say, sorry.

No botherz ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Test For Echo

Chop isn’t Chop any more.

Oh my, there's been a lot of changes since I joined biker.ie in 2008. Stopped by last night and it's truly sad to see the old place so quiet. It wasn't perfect but it was hugely entertaining back in the day if you didn't take it too seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gerry Hatrick

Used it as a resource way back when for bike related stuff even sold a few bikes to members on there. Gave in on it years ago when i mentioned i had no interest in road racing and received dogs abuse from a member and a mod.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I didn't realise it had died. They banned me many years ago when they heard I was a mod here lol. A few years alter I tried to register again as I really needed help with some stuff. They basically closed registrations. They said you could get around that by donating. I think I donated €20 and sent several pm's but my account was never activated.

Many people were sound and very helpful, but there was a solid bunch of complete arseholes that seemed to dominate, so really I have no sympathy....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Same experience ... loved the site years ago and found it great for info , if you weren’t sure bout carrying out maintenance or changing a part etc , there was loads of people there with great knowledge to advise you... then all that kind of changed ... there is/was a group of lads from Dublin that were the kings of the site... they insulted or made sneery comments about your posts... or it was their opinion that counted and everyone else could fuk off.... having been on it for years, I just stopped... had enough

There is an awful pack of pricks on this website too... but I don’t find that much in the motoring section of boards to be honest .... most very helpful

• Advertisement

Zascar wrote: »
    I didn't realise it had died...

It's not dead but it's on life support! Only a couple of posts each day it would appear. Met many of the members and mods over the years and each & every one of them was sound in person. Some of them were genuinely nuts.

It was one particular thread years ago - talking about knocking cyclists off the road - that put me off the place but I find that FakeBook groups are every bit as bad, and sometimes worse, than biker.ie ever was for macho bullsh!t.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Facebook has ruined most BBS type setups, the problem is that its not archived apart from Facebooks eye of Sauron.
    So you can't search out problems that someone else might have had before and fix it yourself.

I never used Biker.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Zascar wrote: »
    I think I donated €20 and sent several pm's but my account was never activated.

Many people were sound and very helpful, but there was a solid bunch of complete arseholes that seemed to dominate, so really I have no sympathy....
    Donate 20 quid lol mad sh1t.
    LillySV wrote: »
    Same experience ... loved the site years ago and found it great for info , if you weren’t sure bout carrying out maintenance or changing a part etc , there was loads of people there with great knowledge to advise you... then all that kind of changed ... there is/was a group of lads from Dublin that were the kings of the site... they insulted or made sneery comments about your posts... or it was their opinion that counted and everyone else could fuk off.... having been on it for years, I just stopped... had enough

There is an awful pack of pricks on this website too... but I don’t find that much in the motoring section of boards to be honest .... most very helpful
    Spat the cawfee:pac::pac:

I have a workin notion that in the main Irish motorcyclists are inclined to be slightly fookin odd, me occasionally included. On the other hand the opinion headbutters who populate the various parts of this gaf I just couldn't be arsed with.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

I used be very active years ago (joined in 08) and I remember the craic of 2 pages of fresh threads a day. Couldn't keep up with it most of the time.

A lot of lads from in and around the pale ruined it for the rest of us. A lot of lads who spent the weekends in sallys gap (which is fooking ****e btw).. I used bate around the back roads of west cork on a ktm 690smc and I was automatically a bogger.. a lot of straight line heroes on the site now.

Some seriously ****ing sound lads on there years ago.. I decided against Facebook in my mid 20s and guess I lost out on the so called groups??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

hedzball wrote: »

Some seriously ****ing sound lads on there years ago.. I decided against Facebook in my mid 20s and guess I lost out on the so called groups??

I find Shed 4 Bikers group helpful on facebook so i wouldnt tar everything on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

I used be very active years ago (joined in 08) and I remember the craic of 2 pages of fresh threads a day. Couldn't keep up with it most of the time.

A lot of lads from in and around the pale ruined it for the rest of us. A lot of lads who spent the weekends in sallys gap (which is fooking ****e btw).. I used bate around the back roads of west cork on a ktm 690smc and I was automatically a bogger.. a lot of straight line heroes on the site now.

Same as that, don’t do Facebook, Instagram, Twitter... biker.ie had been the nearest I got to it! Haha ... now here

FakeBook has become a cesspit so I tried spending more time on Twitter instead and, Jaysis, it's even worse :rolleyes:
    Last night was the first night I missed biker.ie in years, although the place nearly turned me into an alcoholic. I used to sit up into the small hours with a few beers, sitting back following the craic. Thankfully I quit drinking in 2010 :pac:

For all its faults, there really was no other site quite like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

Alright Hedzball! Used to use biker.ie the odd time, always respected whatever Hedzball had to say, sound fella and bought my first "proper" bike from him.

I used irishbikerforum.com a lot more as I found it easier to keep up with that, it wasn't as fast moving. Met a couple of good friends through that site and people were generally very sound.

Good to see this forum active though!

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

Fabio wrote: »
    Alright Hedzball! Used to use biker.ie the odd time, always respected whatever Hedzball had to say, sound fella and bought my first "proper" bike from him.

I used irishbikerforum.com a lot more as I found it easier to keep up with that, it wasn't as fast moving. Met a couple of good friends through that site and people were generally very sound.

Good to see this forum active though!

I found that pic of you "wheelying" the scooter the other day on my laptop got a good skit off it hahah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

Cienciano wrote: »
    I heard mixed reviews on chop. On biker aything negative was deleted, members wanted to lick his hole or they'd be banned, so forget about anything you read on biker about him......

HE is now living as a SHE nowadays by all accounts!!!

Advertisement