Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Race Across The World - BBC

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Brilliant ending. I'd love to know how much money Jen and Rob had left over. Can't figure out why they decided to work in Bariloche - surely they had enough cash to make it to the end at that point? Fair to the 2 lads though ditching their packs - had more energy in the tank at the finish.

A celebrity version was announced last October at the same time as this season was confirmed. Not sure if it's been filmed yet, but I'd imagine it has and we'll see it at some point later this year.

Just binged this the last couple of days, really enjoyed it. Must be a phenomenal experience. Very fortunate people.

Uncle and nephew really embraced the whole experience and I think they'll have a lasting bond, and would have had, even if they didn't win. Worthy winners.

Rob must have had his hearing device on mute for a large portion of the journey, there's no other way he could have endured Jen for that journey.

The brother and sister did well but I think they'd have been better off on a team with someone else as their personalities just didn't mesh at all. The sister even said she'd rather someone like Mammy Jo's personality. Long term though I reckon the whole experience will do their relationship the world of good.

The mother and son were doing well until the son was allowed to get one particular meal (I forget where/which episode) and from then on he just wanted, wanted, wanted and the budget evaporated. He had been doing alright with his Cheetos but there was one food item that threw the train off the tracks.

The money belt couple, what an absolute sickener. That is definitely something I'd do, lose money or passport or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I bet when they got to the hotel and found out there was another kilometre sprint to the top of the hill they were absolutely sick. Jen looked defeated at that stage, she couldnt handle any more running.

Must say its pretty amazing what they've achieved, to travel those distances with no access to the internet for information is pretty impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,150 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

No access to the internet? It shows them using other's phones on some buses and presumably the checkpoint hotels would have wifi too.
    PieOhMy wrote: »
    There must surely be some logistical restrictions on the show to stop a team of demons racking up a few days advantage in the first 2 weeks, even if it ate up budget they would have the time to work or hitch hike.
    That's what the checkpoints are for: not knowing where you're heading for beyond 3/4 days away makes it impossible to build up too much of a lead early on.

Delighted I was wrong and that the two lads won it in the end. They seemed like the best people left in it at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,651 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I bet when they got to the hotel and found out there was another kilometre sprint to the top of the hill they were absolutely sick. Jen looked defeated at that stage, she couldnt handle any more running.

Must say its pretty amazing what they've achieved, to travel those distances with no access to the internet for information is pretty impressive.

Thought it was rough alright to have another 1KM sprint, but last years one of needing £20 or so to gain access to the roof was proper cruel. I didn't like the two lads who didn't have the money left to do that so I got a little bit entertainment out of that. :pac:

• Advertisement

Article that mentions the show here
    https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2020/apr/27/no-fly-zone-will-race-across-the-world-be-the-last-travel-tv-of-its-kind

The celebrity version has been postponed because of Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

That was a fantastic series. I never particularly wanted to go to S America before but I do now.

Emon seemed a bit stuck up at the start but really grew on me. The pair never complained ir bickered, made friends everywhere, and seemed to enjoy everything they did, especially the work. I'm really glad they won.

That was a fantastic series. I never particularly wanted to go to S America before but I do now.

Emon seemed a bit stuck up at the start but really grew on me. The pair never complained ir bickered, made friends everywhere, and seemed to enjoy everything they did, especially the work. I'm really glad they won.

The thing with them was that there was a number of times where you could see that one vehemently disagreed with what the other was saying/decision they made but they just sucked it up and got on with it. The whole Uruguay situation being the perfect example.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Article that mentions the show here
    https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2020/apr/27/no-fly-zone-will-race-across-the-world-be-the-last-travel-tv-of-its-kind

The celebrity version has been postponed because of Covid.

I think I'd rather the amateur version. Seeing vogue Williams ham it up for the cameras would take away a lot of what I like about this show. Pity but sure everything nice gets ruined in the end by making a celebrity version, at least wel always have top buns melt down as a memory to look back fondly on.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,150 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

It could be funny to watch the usual z listers that do these shows realising that they're not actually famous outside the bubble of the British tabloids... you can just imagine the idiots off The Only Way is Essex or the like trying to cadge a freebie in a third world country because "don't you know who I am?" or playing the "influencer" card to try and get ahead...

This show is much more interesting when it's ordinary people imho. It'd be too easy for any reasonably famous celebrity who'd have contacts and connections all over the place to help them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,352 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I can't see how the series would be that much different on a season with celebs to be honest.

PieOhMy wrote: »
    I think I'd rather the amateur version. Seeing vogue Williams ham it up for the cameras would take away a lot of what I like about this show. Pity but sure everything nice gets ruined in the end by making a celebrity version, at least wel always have top buns melt down as a memory to look back fondly on.

yeah the celebrity versions are always full of people you have hardly ever heard of anyway. I'd likely still watch it but would prefer the regular version. You already know that a celebrity version would include such scenes as one of them panicking at seeing a spider or a snake and the so called hilarity that ensures. The show becomes all about the D list 'celebrity' and their hilarious reaction to X or Y situation, rinse and repeat :rolleyes:

S.M.B. wrote: »
    I can't see how the series would be that much different on a season with celebs to be honest.

I think it would be different (for the worse)for the exact reasons outlined above. The genuine nature will be lost by people with media training and objectives.

I just have a feeling that Jen would have voted for Brexit.

Got a sense of no love lost between herself and Emon from an exchange there at the table

• Registered Users Posts: 12,362 ✭✭✭✭siblers

New season starts on 22-March on BBC, its a race across Canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭crushproof

Oh great, I was wondering if they were going ahead with another series. Shame it's just one country but makes sense considering everything.

... Just jump on the 5 day greyhound across the country and you're done!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭maebee

Fell on this by accident this afternoon on BBC 2 (a repeat of the first episode of the new series on BBC 1 last week). We thought it was excellent and are now hooked :).

One episode in and it has done Canada proud. The scenery, nature, wildlife, cinematography etc. are excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭delboy85

Am a big fan of the show.

I thought the opening episode was great. I was in Vancouver/Whistler/Vancouver Island about 12/13 years ago and it brought back some great memories. It really is a beautiful area.

Series 1 & 2 are available on BBC iPlayer if you have access to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Really enjoying this series. Canada is absolutely massive, and looks amazing too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭maebee

Lovely father/daughter scenes with Ladi and Monique last night.

Kevin and Claudia aren't the best at managing a budget 🤑

Cathie and Tricia have a wonderful friendship.

I don't know how Mobeen puts up with Zainib. She's painful.

p.s. I looked for a Spoiler Alert but couldn't find it. Don't think I'm giving anything away anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Caprica

Did anyone watch the Celebrity versions over the last few weeks? It was a four celebrities and a family member. The race was from Marrakesh to Tromso. Very entertaining, generally I don’t like celebrity versions of shows but this show worked well. All the people were very likeable. It built to a very exciting end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Yes, myself and the missus have been watching the celebrity version, seen 4 episodes.

None of the participants are that famous and come across as fairly ordinary. Kudos to the lad with the 2 artificial legs, massive challenge for him. Some interesting back stories too.

This season is also easy to relate to as we've been to a few of the places they've being going through in Europe. Some stunning locations in Switzerland and Slovenia.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭crushproof

Finally caught up on the celeb one, really good and all the better that I didn't know any of the celebs apart from the All Saints one.

Really disappointed to see the two young ones go out, felt they were dead certs to win!

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭MickH503

New series starts tonight on BBC1 at 9pm. (Will be repeated on Saturday at 3:45pm)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,664 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Good first episode, Japan looks so crazy.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

I loved the first episode of the new series too. I was in Japan a few times without a word of Japanese and getting around in the less urban parts can be very tricky.

Advertisement