Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Race Across The World - BBC

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭BobbyBobberson

jimmii wrote: »
    Yeah no doubt that will come if it proves a success much like they do the hunted specials.

I prefer where the race element takes a back seat and it becomes more about the experience. I think as it goes on that's what will become more important for the racers which is the whole point of it really!

Yeah there is definitely an irony in there isnt there? The narrator at the start bemoans about not travelling through and then the concept is to get there as fast as possible :pac::pac:

One of the older women from the start was mad to enjoy it more.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,629 ✭✭✭corks finest

Dovies wrote: »
    Yep. On the same premise as the amazing race but no challenges to do along the way. They have been given their whole budget up front as opposed to a bit each leg but can earn more by working along the way which is good.

The kid is an annoying fecker!
    Never heard of the amazing race, will look it up. Yeah the kid was doing my head in too!

I have to say its enjoyable, some of decisions would make your head melt. I was laughing at them all trying to get out of London.
    Amazing race is ,,,,,,,,,, amazing,na its v good

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Yeah there is definitely an irony in there isnt there? The narrator at the start bemoans about not travelling through and then the concept is to get there as fast as possible :pac::pac:

One of the older women from the start was mad to enjoy it more.

Yeah they want to encourage people to enjoy the travel experience by trying to make them get there as quickly as they can? They should have made it who can the longest to get there with the budget they have! Let them get very creative with how they travel and where they stay!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,352 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I like the concept, without the race element it just becomes a travelogue.

Encouraging people to soak up a bit of culture along the way makes it not quite Amazing Race levels of competitivenes. It was interesting to see them root for the Yorkshire guys as they attempted to get the ferry, little did they no missing out would have been a blessing in disguise.

They've been given a once in a lifetime opportunity so it's a matter of balancing between being in contention for the prize and exposing yourselves to unique experiences along the way.

The two girls have definitely given up on the race anyway! Or at least thats the way it was coming across at the start.

Another good episode.

• Advertisement

Didn't think that myself. They thought their high speed / high cost strategy would have paid off massively but they struggled because they were last to leave and others spent similar amounts of cash.

Yeah I jumped the gun on that one, was wrong.

Any idea where next checkpoint is? Ho Chi Minh? The two lads have a serious lead now.

Big lead alright. Definitely not had as good a quality experience though you can see the dad is finding that a bit frustrating. I guess if they win they can spend the money on doing it all over again and taking their time to see things then!

Someone on Twitter had a theory that every couple had to do at least some sightseeing in order to have enough footage. What do you think?

It would certainly explain why the two mates went rock climbing after getting stuck at the border. When they were late to the hotel they then referred to the border as holding them up but not a day rock climbing.

Yeah, I'd assume its HCM. I thought there was only one more leg left. These final two are quite small in terms of distance compared to the one they've just done.

• Advertisement

The dad is a bit selfish tbh. His sulking about not being able to experience a Chinese village this leg is about as bad as anything the son has done. They can squeeze a stop off in on this upcoming leg now they've a bit of a buffer.

I don't think there's any forced sightseeing going on. Am I right in thinking the prize money is only 5 times the money they've been given to compete? Not sure if they're getting a salary too which would make it even less. I'd be more than happy to visit a few sights.

They got 2,600 and prize is 20k. Yeah they have a big whack of time anyway.

So prize money = 7.5 * competition money and like I said, I'm not sure if they'd be getting a 6 week salary from BBC/the production company on top of it.

It's not like their playing from a million like on The Amazing Race. That would be an entirely different proposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Limerick91

Enjoyed the show.
    I would think every couple had to do a certain amount of sight seeing and a certain amount of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,150 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I really enjoyed this. It does show just how far you can get (and how much you can get to see) on a relatively low budget if you're creative. Myself and Mrs Sleepy are hoping to do something similar to the route they took at some point in the future when the kids are grown (albeit adding a couple of weeks to the timescale to allow time to add in some more sight-seeing).

When you think about it 2,600 is about what you'd be paying for a 2 week cruise. I'd much rather a little discomfort on overnight trains/buses and a 2 month holiday.

The experience seemed to be the making of the young lad. I'd say he'll be off back-packing again as soon as he's earned enough to fund a few months of it (and his changed outlook by the end of the trip would make him far more likely to get off his arse and work imo).

Sleepy wrote: »
    I really enjoyed this. It does show just how far you can get (and how much you can get to see) on a relatively low budget if you're creative. Myself and Mrs Sleepy are hoping to do something similar to the route they took at some point in the future when the kids are grown (albeit adding a couple of weeks to the timescale to allow time to add in some more sight-seeing).

When you think about it 2,600 is about what you'd be paying for a 2 week cruise. I'd much rather a little discomfort on overnight trains/buses and a 2 month holiday.

The experience seemed to be the making of the young lad. I'd say he'll be off back-packing again as soon as he's earned enough to fund a few months of it (and his changed outlook by the end of the trip would make him far more likely to get off his arse and work imo).

Yeah for everyone else it seemed like it was a great experience for them but for him you really got the impression this could change the direction of his whole life. It was great to see. Was funny after the finish where the son was talking about the experience and how amazing it was and the dad was just next to him arms crossed having a sulk such a role reversal from the start!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Yeah for everyone else it seemed like it was a great experience for them but for him you really got the impression this could change the direction of his whole life. It was great to see. Was funny after the finish where the son was talking about the experience and how amazing it was and the dad was just next to him arms crossed having a sulk such a role reversal from the start!

Think he enjoyed chatting up the girls too :)
    Really enjoyed it and the new amazing race Canada is due to start in May I think!

Really enjoyed it and the new amazing race Canada is due to start in May I think!

Ha yeah I'd imagine he'll be straight back over to China he seemed to enjoy it there :pac:

I really enjoyed it too, more so than TAR.

The US Amazing Race has just had its premiere bumped forward to next Wednesday. I was planning on starting a thread about it as its a CBS reality tv showdown so it should get some interest from the Survivor and US Big Brother fans on boards. I must admit I only watch TAR when it features contestants from these shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Where can I watch the Amazing Race? I loved the Rsce Across the World, one of the best tv series I’ve seen in a long time. Educational and enjoyable.

• Advertisement

I could not stop laughing at him, the puss on his face. Really great series, so enjoyable to watch something like this without the celebrities doing it.

Loved the guilt of the winner when she would not tell Darron what route they took. Great insight into people's thoughts.

Really hope the young lad stayed out east, could easily fall back into a rut back home.

Great series, tbf, wouldn't have minded if any of the teams had won.

Really hope the young lad stayed out east, could easily fall back into a rut back home.

Great series, tbf, wouldn't have minded if any of the teams had won.

Yeah would be a shame if he just went straight back his mums house and onto the playstation!

Be nice to get an update episode see if the guys opened the bar!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

https://twitter.com/BBCTwo/status/1233001217237934080

Back next weekend, racing across Central and South America.

Excellent, really enjoyed this.

I had never heard of Ushuaia before seeing the advert a couple of weeks ago but since then its popped up in other things a few times! Funny how that happens sometimes. Probably a case of it always popping up but had just never paid attention to it.

Classic Baader-Meinhof phenomenon. I'll now start noticing it everywhere now as its not a place I've heard of either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭4Ad

Anyone watching this years series ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

Watched the last 3 weeks, really enjoying it, the hour goes by so fast. Its ways suprising how close they end up to each other in getting to the checkpoint as each other when they can be 100s of miles apart the day before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭4Ad

PieOhMy wrote: »
    Watched the last 3 weeks, really enjoying it, the hour goes by so fast. Its ways suprising how close they end up to each other in getting to the checkpoint as each other when they can be 100s of miles apart the day before.

I'm enjoying it too, I thought the first couple gave up too soon, I know they had lost half their money still.Considering the contestants have no resources, only a map they manage ok not to get lost or looking for a bed etc, and never get hassled in the streets, unlike myself, backpack=victim...hmmm, guess it is only tv..
    Still enjoying it, mainly the people and their characters and how they change, or your opinion of them change. Maybe thats the point of the show..
    Never heard of the Rainbow mountain before, looked stunning.

Advertisement