Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Race Across The World - BBC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,362 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Have the uncle and nephew had a falling out yet? I get the feeling they're getting the most out of the trip with their approach and hope they win

Feel sorry for Jo, realise the son has his own issues but he's very demanding

For the brother and sister, I don't mind them, the brother seems to have his head screwed on, he's very competitive but the sister doesn't seem as arsed

The other couple, don't mind the guy with the hearing aid, I'd say his partner has him under total control, she's very bossy and not very likeable

• Registered Users Posts: 28,812 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Ah jeepers, that's a shame...to get so close and have to drop out is awful.

Kudos to that mother, though!!

Lizzie seemed genuinely upset about it. Jen - that limp hand she offered - shudder :(

This is listed on my Sky planner as episode 8/9..... I wonder do they split this last leg into two shows?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    This is listed on my Sky planner as episode 8/9..... I wonder do they split this last leg into two shows?

Virgin media has some other show starting at 9 so it's just an hour.

Very disappointed for jo.

Oh would they ever give over with all the soppy personal relationship stuff :mad::mad:

• Advertisement

I'm going to mute the portions that top bun is on and look at my phone for it. Cant take it anymore.

Is this going to turn into who can run fastest? :D

Whatever happens the siblings have no luck at all, lost 24hours with the brothers fit and were waiting at that town for 24 hours looking for work and eating chicken. They may have snatched defeat from the jaws of victory

Budget-conscious Rob might have his moment in the sun yet! :D

OMG, I soooooooo want to visit that part of the world again some time :mad:

• Advertisement

I'd laugh if those two pairs are absolutely killing themselves uphill, and the young ones are there first all the time :D

Thank God!!!! Great episode too!

PieOhMy wrote: »
    Thank God!!!! Great episode too!
    It was well done at the end, in fairness!

Made all the better by the hysterics from Jen :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Delighted it was the uncle and nephew that won. A really nice gesture by them to donate half the winnings to South American charities.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

That was fairly epic end to the show, great entertainment. Glad Emon and Jamuil won, and great gesture by them to donate some of the money. Feel bad for Jo that she didn't get to the end but I think she realised fairly early her son had no interest in winning the race so just enjoyed the experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,648 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Great show. Thoroughly enjoyed the last 4-5 weeks.

Bit of a step up on the last leg I thought. What was the point of giving the couple a 4 hiyr lead on the last stage at 2am only to have their lead neutralised by sitting around in the bus station until 6am when the two lads then turned up. Glad those 2 lads won in the end mind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,648 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Bit of a step up on the last leg I thought. What was the point of giving the couple a 4 hiyr lead on the last stage at 2am only to have their lead neutralised by sitting around in the bus station until 6am when the two lads then turned up. Glad those 2 lads won in the end mind you.

I assume that you have 24 or 48 hours, or some fixed time, from when you arrive at a checkpoint to when you're released for the next leg. If that happens to be at 2 in the morning, bad luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Poochie05

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I assume that you have 24 or 48 hours, or some fixed time, from when you arrive at a checkpoint to when you're released for the next leg. If that happens to be at 2 in the morning, bad luck.

It was more obvious in the first series but think it’s 36 hours from when you arrive.

Pleased enough with the boys winning and very generous of them to donate half to charity.
    Argentina looks amazing, would love to visit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭trebor28

Every couple stays in the hotel for 36 hours, so it can make a huge difference what time you make it to the hotel in the first place, see it on other legs where pairs were leaving the hotel at like midnight only to have to go get accommodation somewhere else for the night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Delighted Jen didnt win, her meltdown at the end reminded me why shes unlikeable.

Poor Rob I say he got an awful earful (pardon the pun) once the cameras stopped rolling.

The uncle and nephew seem like lovely lads. Delighted they won.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JoeExotic81

Was giggling away at Jen's meltdown! She's a dose and a half.

This episode highlighted the ridiculousness of the 36 hour rule. It was also hilarious how all the teams were on the same final bus.

Jen wanting to see the penguins, and them choosing to work when they had enough, was bizarre and they paid big for that decision.

Great show though, loved it!

Next week is a catch-up with the 5 teams, I wonder if Rob escaped yet!!

And yes, I wanna go to Argentina!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,352 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I wanted Jen and Rob to win at the end, there I said it, screw all you Jen haters.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,651 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Couldn’t stop laughing at Jen dumping her stuff and then almost regretting it immediately, she’s an absolute pain but so entertaining.

Delighted the uncle and nephew won, thought they were a bit bland at the start but seeing how they reacted after seeing the kids in São Paulo and how good they were in the care home I really warmed to them. Lovely gesture to donate £10k to charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Caprica

I thought it was a very exciting episode, a great end to the series. Jen’s hysterics only added to the entertainment. Bursting into tears at the final bus stop, ditching her bag, nearly running back to get it, constantly saying she couldn’t do it. Rob was very patient with her. After all the days and weeks on the road, separated by only 20 seconds at the end. Hard believe it was that close.

I’m glad Emon and Jamiul won and them giving half the prize money to kids charities was a lovely gesture. I think all the way through they worked well together, did they ever have any arguments/disagreements? I thought the clips of Jamiul on his inhaler meant he was going be able to race to the finish.

Dom & Lizzie really rose their luck but weren’t far of wii I got in the end. I was sorry to see Jo drop out but they weren’t going to make it. If a little less of their budget was spent on Sam feeding himself instead of trying to economise they might have got their.

Argentina and Ushuaia looked amazing.

Caprica wrote: »
    I thought it was a very exciting episode, a great end to the series. Jen’s hysterics only added to the entertainment. Bursting into tears at the final bus stop, ditching her bag, nearly running back to get it, constantly saying she couldn’t do it. Rob was very patient with her. After all the days and weeks on the road, separated by only 20 seconds at the end. Hard believe it was that close.

I’m glad Emon and Jamiul won and them giving half the prize money to kids charities was a lovely gesture. I think all the way through they worked well together, did they ever have any arguments/disagreements? I thought the clips of Jamiul on his inhaler meant he was going be able to race to the finish.

Dom & Lizzie really rose their luck but weren’t far of wii I got in the end. I was sorry to see Jo drop out but they weren’t going to make it. If a little less of their budget was spent on Sam feeding himself instead of trying to economise they might have got their.

Argentina and Ushuaia looked amazing.

I have to say I found it very exiting! That ending is amazing, even throughout the episode they all overtook each other a few times, the winners put in 40 hours on a bus at some point too?
    Robs plan of having X amount for the final stage nearly paid off too if they had just had enuf for a taxi the last bit of the way but ultimatly it was the cool heads that won it for the lads, can you imagine Jen thinking of bartering her ipod for a taxi ride? Also the lads had the foresight to leave their bags in a pub. Rob and Jen didnt cop that they should ditch them too untill it was too late and she was already throwing a massive wobbler!

Jo's fate was sealed two episodes ago when they decided that the most desired outcome of the race would be the experiences they have on the way and then opening up the purse strings to fund them. Tbh it's a testament to the lady that they got so close at all it really is.
    I would like to know out of curiosity how much the siblings missed the bus by on the previous day, that was the difference for them.

Also its seems like Argentina is a big winner from the show too based on a few posts here, it's really on my radar now as a place I would like to see sometime!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,352 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

As per The Amazing Race, contestants should have to carry their bag to the checkpoint as opposed to being allowed to ditch them in preparation for a foot race.

While the 20 second difference between first and second led to dramatic scenes I actually thought the final leg was a little underwhelming from a race point of view. The final moments in Singapore last year seemed a lot more challenging if I remember correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

Great series again. Part of me wishes the producers would forbid the bartering of carried items. After all, why not just be allowed to carry an extra 100 in currency. Also how did the two guys that won afford that last bus? Perhaps it was a free hotel bus? Anyways I enjoyed the programme and it was a shame that Jo could not make it to the end. She deserved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

They could have tried to hitch a lift or something else to benefit from their 4 hour lead I suppose.

Great show. I am delighted the two lads won.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Really enjoyed that finale last night and Jens meltdown at the very end was the cherry on top, I just didnt want to see her win it even though Rob was alright. Glad the two lads did it and as others said fair play to them for donating the £10k, they were under no obligation to do that.

PieOhMy wrote: »
    Robs plan of having X amount for the final stage nearly paid off too if they had just had enuf for a taxi the last bit of the way but ultimatly it was the cool heads that won it for the lads, can you imagine Jen thinking of bartering her ipod for a taxi ride?

I actually think Jen and Rob lost the entire race on that taxi ride to Rio Grande. When the other two couples showed up for the exact same bus they simply had to get ahead of them by using a taxi and they had way more money than the others. The narrator said that the taxi ride was £250 and that they were £40 short. Any price in south America is negotiable but they didnt even try to haggle and just took the bus with the others on board, bad mistake. Even if that specific taxi wouldnt drop his price they would have found one who would, £210 is more than a weeks wages in Argentina and plenty would bite your arm off to earn it for a day and a halfs work. Had they got a ride to Rio Grande they would have opened up a gap of a couple of hours and then hitch the final 200km to Ushuaia. I dont think they were up for hitching either so it wasnt in their thinking.

Great show, its really gone up a level year on year with this series being the best yet. Looking forward to next years version already.

Advertisement