Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Race Across The World - BBC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

PieOhMy wrote: »
    On reflection it must have been a very very incident free trip relatively sneaking, of the screen time that isnt dedicated to the racers personal circumstances the majority of time is spent either showing them in yet another bus station asking 'what time the next bus leaves' and 'how much' or the part where they spontaneously start jogging at the end. The balance being the narrator reading out the first few lines on the wikipedia page for the new location. Could be my mind playing tricks but I feel like the last season had more of a racing/ travel element but I could be wrong

Yeah have to say I felt this way to after the latest episode and the mother Jo revealing she has cancer was another wtf moment. Every single pairing has had some sort of adversarial circumstances happen in their life and it gets a bit tiring hearing about it all when you really just want to watch a travel show. Im not interested in hearing why the uncle left the nephews family in some heartfelt moment sitting on a beach, the personal aspect to it is often way overcooked.

Sadly this seems to be the way many reality tv shows have gone. Its the same with the Irish version of First Dates, the producers dont just want single contestants, they want single contestants whose lives have been visited by tragedy and who are willing to talk about it on a first date of all occasions.

I did enjoy the scenes at Iguazu waterfalls, its a stunning place. Not surprised that they are all running out of money in Brazil, its an expensive place to travel almost on a par with here in many ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

I actually don't mind who wins as long as the wife looses. Are they editing her to seem worse as this progresses or is she just loosing the plot altogether?

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JoeExotic81

I actually don't mind who wins as long as the wife looses. Are they editing her to seem worse as this progresses or is she just loosing the plot altogether?

If Rob doesn't divorce her after this, he's a sado masochistic!!

I'm almost sure when they were queueing to buy tickets, some Brazilian lad patted him on the back as she was nattering, in a "unluckyyyyy man!!" kinda way :D

Dom and Lizzie begging was all kinds of wrong. Wtf were they thinking?!

Poor Jo scrubbing toilets to ensure the man child gets his twelve meals a day.

I'm almost sure when they were queueing to buy tickets, some Brazilian lad patted him on the back as she was nattering, in a "unluckyyyyy man!!" kinda way :D

The wife has it sussed, when her sporadic random impulsive nature works out it's great and shes right yet again, but when his methodological way doesnt yield instant results hes all sorts of wrong, they hardly got to their great position at this stage by randomly winging it! He can't win with her! The going to the 'cinema' was funny tho and also when he went to get directions from a literal clown!!!!
    I know we only saw a few seconds footage of Argentina but it looks like a beautiful place, not what I was envisioning at all, have any of you guys traveled there?

The begging was such a strange decision and it was suprising how bad they were at hitchhiking, Lizze complaining about him not listening to her flying directly in the face of the lenghty piece last week where she is now confident and he wont impose decisions on her any more.

Jo also said that her son is also now invested in finishing the race but not one thing he said or did confirmed this at all! Maybe the part when he mentioned hed like 20k and she said that he was just after writing his car off!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭lertsnim

There are a lot of irritating people on this. I would like to see the uncle and nephew win it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,567 ✭✭✭patmac

I'd like Jo to win and keep all the money for herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,894 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

lertsnim wrote: »
    There are a lot of irritating people on this. I would like to see the uncle and nephew win it.
    +1

They're easily the most likeable (or least dislikeable) of the lot.

I'd have given that youngfella a kick up the arse a long time ago. Or sent him home. That mother should be put up for canonisation. (I know, I know, he has issues, but he really would try the patience of a saint!)

I was in Argentina a few years ago - stopping off before and after a visit to Antarctica - I wasn't expecting to, but I absolutely LOVED it! We did some hiking/trekking in Patagonia, and then four days in BA on the way home - apart from the shock of flying from ice and sea and sky straight into 35 degrees of a bustling city which lasted two of our four days, it was an amazing place, and felt really safe (my travelling companion was a bit of a nervous nelly, but I was happy walking everywhere at all hours of the day or evening, and we had no incidents at all).

Would love to go back sometime for a proper look around (like, for six months or something :D)

I could never do that race - would drive me nuts just because you have to skate past so many amazing places, because RACE!

patmac wrote: »
    I'd like Jo to win and keep all the money for herself.
    But you just know she wouldn't......

And yes, the two rich kids trying to beg tickets was just utterly toe-curling..... at least the husband and wife went around the place looking for work, but that was kinda morto as well!

I laughed out loud when it became clear that the fella just thought he was needed to go to the desk and arrange the purchase of the tickets - to see the penny dropping on all their faces was priceless :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

I cannot stand the wife of the guy with hearing problems. She always has a nasty comment.

The son that never stops eating is a total idiot. His mother is great.

The brother and sister. She does my head in. Constantly analysing everything. Leaves it to her brother to do everything and them complains that he never lets her do anything.

I hope the uncle and nephew win.

• Advertisement

Oh god this gave me a laugh, its so bloody true, that son is a complete child who never stops eating.

Had to laugh at the brother and sister trying to hitch hike at a petrol station instead of the road out of town to where they wanted to go. At least they got it right in the end and they got a free lift. Hitch hiking in south America is fine and easy but its expected you pay part of the fuel so they did well getting a freebie. I hitched from the Chilean/Argentinian border about 200km away to Salta in northern Argentina, cost me twice what the bus would of but there was only one bus a day at 10am and it was 5pm by the time I got over the border and didnt fancy sleeping at the border overnight so stuck the thumb out. 2nd car that came along picked me up, a sound Paraguayan couple who were going back to Paraguay from skiing in Chile.

I was thinking the same thing but I dont think its the editing, she is just an absolute head melt who has her husband whipped to do whatever she says and when things are her fault she will blame him anyway. Id say when shes watching it now shes horrified, her own family are probably nodding and winking though!
    I know we only saw a few seconds footage of Argentina but it looks like a beautiful place, not what I was envisioning at all, have any of you guys traveled there?

yeah Ive been twice and would highly highly recommend it. One of them was on a six month trip backpacking the entire continent, covering 10 of the 13 countries. Argentina was absolutely my favourite of them all with Colombia and Bolivia a close second. Buenos Aires the best city in the entire continent, even better than Rio. Argentina has great food, culture, music and scenery all mixed into one.

I wanted Jo to win but that son is just annoying me now so Im rooting for the uncle and nephew who are beige as fcuk but ultimately more tolerable than all the others. The race is getting interesting now because they are all getting very broke and have to work. Problem with that is wages arent going to be great and travelling out of the way to get there isnt worth it as the uncle and nephew found out by going to Uruguay to wash a boat for the day and then having to spend most of their days wages on a bed for the night while being hundreds of kilometers off the direction they needed to be heading.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Mac-Chops

Really enjoying this show having done a very similar trip a few years ago, starting in Quito.

Agree with other posters above about the lack of incidents, they must get a bit of help/protection from the production team at border crossings because there's no way they could all go that smoothly!

I can see Dom and Lizzie doing well now having broken their duck on the hitch hiking and the fact they've clawed it back to 9 hours.
    You'd imagine it'll play a big part now going south along the Ruta 40 and buses there being maybe the priciest on the continent.
    Myself and the mrs did it a good few times (before getting married! :pac:) and it varied from getting picked up straight away to 3 hour+ waits. Would be very surprised if the speedmeister herself, Jen, was able for that!
    Will be interesting to see the rows over waiting for an expensive bus vs chancing a cheaper hitching journey.

Mac-Chops wrote: »
    Really enjoying this show having done a very similar trip a few years ago, starting in Quito.

Agree with other posters above about the lack of incidents, they must get a bit of help/protection from the production team at border crossings because there's no way they could all go that smoothly!

I can see Dom and Lizzie doing well now having broken their duck on the hitch hiking and the fact they've clawed it back to 9 hours.
    You'd imagine it'll play a big part now going south along the Ruta 40 and buses there being maybe the priciest on the continent.
    Myself and the mrs did it a good few times (before getting married! :pac:) and it varied from getting picked up straight away to 3 hour+ waits. Would be very surprised if the speedmeister herself, Jen, was able for that!
    Will be interesting to see the rows over waiting for an expensive bus vs chancing a cheaper hitching journey.

Jen and her man have the most budget left, don't they?

But will she be able to get the spending past the budgeting husband???

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Mac-Chops

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Jen and her man have the most budget left, don't they?

But will she be able to get the spending past the budgeting husband???

I think so by a fair amount.

They (Read: she) will have the smell of blood now being in the lead and won't want to risk it. All well and good if the bus times work out and not waiting around for hours.

That's why I reckon the bro & sis could sneak it seeing as they may well be forced to hitch in places and could end up doing it much quicker that way if they're lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,162 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I think the couple will win it sadly. Rob's planning and organisation has them way ahead in terms of budget left and he said during the show that it was always their strategy to have a large amount (was it $600) for the last leg? It's a shame because she's an absolute dose (Twitter's having a field day with her!)

I think so by a fair amount.

They (Read: she) will have the smell of blood now being in the lead and won't want to risk it. All well and good if the bus times work out and not waiting around for hours.

That's why I reckon the bro & sis could sneak it seeing as they may well be forced to hitch in places and could end up doing it much quicker that way if they're lucky.

The issue with the brother taking a fit and the siblings having to sit out 24hours for medical reasons is having a bit more bearing now, they are doing really well getting back in the hunt at all!
    I really hope the Jo gets to finish the race too but the fact they were basically goosed having to work for a bus ticket and that they didnt even make the checkpoint by the end of the show is slightly ominous.
    There must surely be some logistical restrictions on the show to stop a team of demons racking up a few days advantage in the first 2 weeks, even if it ate up budget they would have the time to work or hitch hike.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Minier81

Do you think Jo and the spoilt brat will get to finish? Their funds are so low now. Jo is so patient, what a lovely lady.

Jen and the sister are so bloody annoying. And that begging was so wrong.

The two lads are probably the nicest all round team, but Jo and Rob are my favourites. Torn for who I'd like to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,361 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

The contestants aren't that bad. Hope none of them are getting that much grief.

Sleepy wrote: »
    (Twitter's having a field day with her!)

Savages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Anyone thinking of applying for season 3? I see residents of the ROI can apply. I wonder where the next one will be based -Asia maybe?

Anyone thinking of applying for season 3? I see residents of the ROI can apply. I wonder where the next one will be based -Asia maybe?

They did Asia last time. Africa would be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Africa would be cool but crazy! I must have a proper look at the application form.

I'd love to do it but I wouldn't have the nerve to head off through in Africa in the next few months all things considered! Anyone applying should make sure to ham up the misery in their background story to have a chance!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Love to do it too but then I watch an episode and 18 hours on a bus would be a nightmare! At my stage of my journey I like a bit of comfort!

Anyone got a link for the application??

I'd never do it (for reasons given above), but I'd love to see the criteria (apart from a serious sob story)

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Anyone got a link for the application??

I'd never do it (for reasons given above), but I'd love to see the criteria (apart from a serious sob story)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/showsandtours/take-part/race-across-the-world-series3

yeah hitch hiking could give them a huge advantage, long distance buses tend to depart either very early in the morning or else late at night so if they arrive at a bus station in between that they'll be sitting around for hours waiting on a departure. Better to head of out town and hitch in the hope they would get some trucker going all the way.
    I'd love to do it but I wouldn't have the nerve to head off through in Africa in the next few months all things considered! Anyone applying should make sure to ham up the misery in their background story to have a chance!

lol either a sob story or a partner who is a bit looped.

Africa seems like the next natural step for the show having done Asia and South America. Just gotta avoid Sudan, Congo, Angola and anywhere else at war.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Even taking account of the more sanitised version of travel that the contestants on this show benefit from (back up vehicles, medics etc) I don't think a trip down through Africa would be viable or safe.

I'd say they'd maybe do Eurasia again but maybe with a different route and different checkpoints this time, maybe try and get to Australia or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Caprica

I enjoying this season but I preferred last years trip through Central Asia as I have travelled there and I was great to see it again. Saying that I would now gladly do Central & South America, I’ve been quite impressed with Argentina so far.

I hope all the couples make it to the finish but I’m not so sure Jo & Sam will. I was glad Jo got to the Gaucho ranch, I think she deserved do something she wanted. I thought the clip where she was talking to the camera and Sam comes out in his snorkel and flippers was hilarious, it sums up their team. I know Sam is only 19 but I don’t think he has any concept of money or budgeting or decision making or responsibility. I don’t think he could travel on his own.

I went on to Twitter to see what people were saying about Jen and it wasn’t very nice and quite horrible at times, I hope she isn’t reading it. I think she is really struggling with his hearing loss, more than he is and it has put them under pressure. I’m going to say the editing has done her no favours. I think they have a good chance to win, they have a lot of money left so could just power through to the finish.

I think Emon & Jaimul come across as the most rounded and are both likeable. I was a bit disappointed with his big reveal. I thought they were building up to a coming out story so when he revealed he left for a woman, I was thinking that’s it? I’d liked to see them win. On the website, it says they only applied for the show 3 months in advance, i things you’d need more time than that.

Dom & Lizzie act just like two siblings, they get on, they fight, they make up. I found their begging a bit uncomfortable, not sure what they were thinking. It was interesting to see him reference how they were wanted for nothing growing but they seemed to have underachieved since then.

I don’t mind the backstory/sob stories it’s part of reality shows nowadays and I think helps to bond with participants. It’s an enjoyable show, I’m looking forward to season 3 whenever and wherever it will be. I hope there is never a celebrity version.

Advertisement