Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do Irish people support English teams?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,921 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Edgware wrote: »
    Funny how the Liverpool crew took years to realise that Suarez was a cheating racist scumbag. Everyone else knew it six years ago (when he was a Liverpool player)

You dont get the world class pantomine villains in the LOI...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

Scouse not English as a mate of mine says.

What's that I said, As the camera cut to a massive Union Jack with the Liverpool emblem emblazoned across it.

They were probably wearing these shirts :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

FFS. Was so happy to see Ajax doing so well and then that happens. A team outside the massive money of England and Spain etc.
    What's most annoying is the Irish commentators fawning all over Spurs and egging them on. Am I the only person cheering for Ajax?
    Argh!!! Sick.

FFS. Was so happy to see Ajax doing so well and then that happens. A team outside the massive money of England and Spain etc.
    What's most annoying is the Irish commentators fawning all over Spurs and egging them on. Am I the only person cheering for Ajax?
    Argh!!! Sick.

Ajax would normally get the neutral vote... lovely football and on budget are underdogs.
    But Spurs have never reached the final of top european competition so on history were also underdogs.
    Plus commentators have a vested interest in comebacks v match dead and buried by halftime.

I know, I'm just sick of English and Spanish teams with all the money... Well hopefully Spurs can do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

I know, I'm just sick of English and Spanish teams with all the money... Well hopefully Spurs can do it.

Screw Tottenham did you see their new place?

Its bigger than the club itself. Is a work of art, some seriously choice interior decorators obviously pored over every last detail right down to the each individual led light and the pints that pull themselves

Just because they’re a London borough meanwhile a club of Liverpool’s reputation and magnitude can hardly cobble together a new stand but it’ll never be a fortress...... they’ve gone down there two or three times already!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,581 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

the english teams bring something special to Europe - I do go to LoI , but ther just something - if you havnt been moved by the past 2 nights - you either hate sport or havent a pulse

Well I thought Ajax brought more to the competition than anyone has in years, it's unrivalled in this moneyed age, I think Monaco might have made a semi once but they're probably richer than Ajax. It's their wonderful youth system, and the real shame is they'll all be in Barcelona etc next season so this was really their only chance until the next wonder generation which could be decades away or may never happen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Well I thought Ajax brought more to the competition than anyone has in years, it's unrivalled in this moneyed age, I think Monaco might have made a semi once but they're probably richer than Ajax. It's their wonderful youth system, and the real shame is they'll all be in Barcelona etc next season so this was really their only chance until the next wonder generation which could be decades away or may never happen again.

I think their fans bring something to the game too judging by the Bob Marley music wafting it of the PA at halftime

It instilled a false sense of security which saw them concede twice after the restart leaving them paranoid for the remainder. It’s a pity; just see the game out and then you’ve ample time count all the little birdies you like

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Edgware wrote: »
    Funny how the Liverpool crew took years to realise that Suarez was a cheating racist scumbag. Everyone else knew it six years ago (when he was a Liverpool player)
    You dont get the world class pantomine villains in the LOI...
    True Killian Brennan has retired

• Advertisement

Greyfox wrote: »
    What about any team outside the top 6 or the hundreds of other middling teams or teams battling relagation?

If its enjoyable to watch them play support them, your allowed support any team you want to as long as its enjoyable but once you pick a team you cant ever change to a rival team. Im a Man Utd fan and have to admit last night is the perfect example of why Irish people support English football instead of LOI football.

Rovers in Belgrade, Dundalk V Bate or Tel Aviv. Last minute equaliser in Alkmaar.a

I'd rather have been at all Dundalk ones than watch spurs or Liverpool on tele in my sitting room or in a pub but You can do both you know

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Rovers in Belgrade, Dundalk V Bate or Tel Aviv. Last minute equaliser in Alkmaar.a

I'd rather have been at all Dundalk ones than watch spurs or Liverpool on tele in my sitting room or in a pub but You can do both you know

I tried with Drogheda for a season. Miserable football, weather, nothing good about it. Prefer to watch quality on tv. Same reason I don't watch scratch cups around golf courses in Ireland, prefer to watch the best of the best on tour than average.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Some years ago I saw a documentary about a Buddhist monk in Myanmar. He came to his sister's house on his annual leave, and there was his teenage nephew wearing a Man Utd shirt, in the back of beyond in Myanmar. Each to their own. For goodness' sake have some people nothing bigger to worry about?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

valoren wrote: »
    Variety is the spice of life.

A person can play for their local outfit, play weekly 5 a side, they can go to League of Ireland matches time permitting, they can follow Liverpool because they were the dominant team in their formative years, they can follow AC Milan when they had Gullit and Van Basten, they can follow a Newcastle mid-90's outfit with their attacking tactics and hope they beat United to the title, they can lose their **** when Ole scores to win a United treble, they can appreciate the brilliant football of Arsenal's invincible squad in the 00's, they can wish to see everyone's second favorite team Spurs do well, they can relish in the brilliance of a Leicester City title run, they can hope Liverpool beat a team of mercenaries to a long awaited title, they can watch the excitement of the CL knockout games and pick a favorite, they can appreciate tikki-takka football, they can support the national team hoping they qualify for major tournaments and when they get knocked out or fail to qualify they can follow the likes of the great Spanish sides of the 00's and can even relish in the excitement of an England squad reaching a WC semi-final.

That type of fluidity let's the beautiful game flourish. Insular, black and white attitude's quell it. If you love football then there is plenty of variety and why Irish people follow English teams.

Very good post and the same can be applied to any sport, like the gaa following Kerry in the micko era, Dublin drive for 5, the hurling for the underdog to beat Kilkenny, like the golf having a favourite player like sevvy,Daly,tiger, and no connection to these people. It’s all about the love of sport which Irish people are mad about.

Came across this random article and thought it indirectly relevant...

http://cphpost.dk/news/sports/sports-round-up-football-manager-fan-travels-across-the-world-to-see-his-favourite-danish-team-play.html

When Danish second tier side Viborg FF took on HB Køge recently, it wasn’t overly surprising to know that there was a certain Michael Petersen in the crowd. His name is about as Danish-sounding as it gets, but there’s more to the story behind his presence in the stadium than one might imagine. Petersen is from Minnesota in the US and travelled thousands of kilometres to watch the team he has played in the popular PC game Football Manager for the past decade in real life. Among his achievements are multiple Danish Superliga titles and two appearances in the Champions League final, which he lost both times!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Ajax would normally get the neutral vote... lovely football and on budget are underdogs.
    But Spurs have never reached the final of top european competition so on history were also underdogs.
    Plus commentators have a vested interest in comebacks v match dead and buried by halftime.

Uefa Cup winners in 1984. :D

Spurs also play nice football, and we deffo don't have a Champions League teams budget.
    But you probably know all that already.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

greenspurs wrote: »

Spurs also play nice football, and we deffo don't have a Champions League teams budget.

All credit to the Uefa Cup winners of 1984 especially for beating a bunch of cheats in the final... well done Chris Hughton & Tony Galvin.
    But it's not the top European competition (European Cup - Champions League) sorry if I was unclear :)

Good luck in Champions League !

All credit to the Uefa Cup winners of 1984 especially for beating a bunch of cheats in the final... well done Chris Hughton & Tony Galvin.
    But it's not the top European competition (European Cup - Champions League) sorry if I was unclear :)

Good luck in Champions League !

Sorry, I didn't know the Uefa cup didn't qualify for your criteria...…

Thanks. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Greyfox

NIMAN wrote: »
    Plus a lot of Irish people are Liverpool fans cos they are glory hunters and Liverpool used to win everything when they were young.

This post shows a massive lack of football knowledge. Yes Liverpool have won trophies but its 29 years since they won the league and they have had to endure a long period of domination by Man United, so if you're still supporting Liverpool your a real football fan as you've had to look at another team winning the league repeatedly. The same way as Man United are dissapointing at the moment so if your still supporting Man Utd your a real football fan. And yes a person who watches his football team on tv every week IS a real football fan. Going to a match live is fun but watching it on TV can sometimes be more enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,022 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

This post shows a massive lack of football knowledge. Yes Liverpool have won trophies but its 29 years since they won the league and they have had to endure a long period of domination by Man United, so if you're still supporting Liverpool your a real football fan as you've had to look at another team winning the league repeatedly. The same way as Man United are dissapointing at the moment so if your still supporting Man Utd your a real football fan. And yes a person who watches his football team on tv every week IS a real football fan. Going to a match live is fun but watching it on TV can sometimes be more enjoyable.

Well, he has a point, but then most people choose football teams when they're kids. I support Liverpool because they were the first team I ever saw on television (The Big Match, Sunday afternoon) and because they won that match. IN fairness, though, I was 8 years old, and it;s kind of what 8 year old kids do.

I'm sure there are Untied fans in their late 20s/early 30s who follow United for similar reasons: they were the most successful team at the time. Maybe Chelsea fans a little younger and a generation of City fans still to come.

But y'know... kids....

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

I support Spurs - first game I can remember was the 81 cup final , Ricky Villa.....

My younger brother supports Pool - they were winning in late 80s-into 90s

My youngest brother supports Utd - cos they were winning everything when he was growing up.

My eldest daughter supports City - because they were/are winning trophies in the last couple of years.

My younger boy supports Utd , cos ………
    well, I don't know why , really :D:D

So , it goes to show that the majority of people do jump on a "bandwagon" …….

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

They've also won the cup winners cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

So , it goes to show that the majority of people do jump on a "bandwagon" …….

Its usually either that or a parent/relative supports them so you almost inherit your team or in my case a lot of Irish players played for Villa when I was a young chap so unfortunately I've supported them since.

RobMc59 wrote: »
    They've also won the cup winners cup.

That probably doesn't count either :D:rolleyes:

(anything pre-Champs League and Sky doesn't exist):D

That probably doesn't count either :D:rolleyes:

(anything pre-Champs League and Sky doesn't exist):D

It counts but in second in comparison with a Champions League win... but a European Cup would and sorry ye don't have any of them but Villa and Forest do :)

I think UEFA Cup was harder to win than Europa League, probably Cup Winners Cup on a par with Europa League?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Going to a match live is fun but watching it on TV can sometimes be more enjoyable.

As the GAA says, nothing beats being there. Getting involved in the displays, the chants, and the absolute scenes when a last minute goal against your rivals goes in... can't be replicated from your couch.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,154 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

It counts but in second in comparison with a Champions League win... but a European Cup would and sorry ye don't have any of them but Villa and Forest do :)

I think UEFA Cup was harder to win than Europa League, probably Cup Winners Cup on a par with Europa League?

i think they were all harder to win when they were knockout only. The groups let teams have a couple of off days, especially in the europa leage.

i think they were all harder to win when they were knockout only. The groups let teams have a couple of off days, especially in the europa leage.

I'm not sure if 'harder' is the word, I think you needed more luck on your side, or maybe that's the same thing :)
    The groups mean less likely to be sucker punched early doors by a CSKA Sofia or Galatasary. On the other hand, in a knockout only, a long shot probably did have more chance of going all the way if they upset a favourite?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

Supporting one of the slightly less really successful teams doesn't in any way make you a real fan because of that.

The fact you even think watching a game on TV can be more enjoyable says everything.

• Advertisement

Hoboo wrote: »
    I tried with Drogheda for a season. Miserable football, weather, nothing good about it. Prefer to watch quality on tv. Same reason I don't watch scratch cups around golf courses in Ireland, prefer to watch the best of the best on tour than average.

Stick to your TV, doubt anyone in United Park misses you.

Some people just prefer live football!

Advertisement