Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

"Mayo GAA is delighted to announce we have agreed an extension to our sponsorship with Intersport Elverys.They will continue to be our title sponsor until 2025 for which we are very thankful.
    We are also delighted to announce an extension of sponsorship agreements with Smyths Toys Ireland and O Neills Sportswear."

https://mayogaa.com/news-detail/10064999/

It will be interesting to hear what monies will accrue to Mayo GAA.

More positive news.

Liam Moffatt has hit the ground running as chairman.

Mayo GAA appoints oversight committee for governance and finance.

https://westernpeople.ie/2020/07/27/mayo-gaa-appoints-oversight-committee-for-governance-and-finance/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,480 ✭✭✭flasher0030

seligehgit wrote: »
    More positive news.

Liam Moffatt has hit the ground running as chairman.

Mayo GAA appoints oversight committee for governance and finance.

https://westernpeople.ie/2020/07/27/mayo-gaa-appoints-oversight-committee-for-governance-and-finance/

The tax guy. Frank Walsh. Is that Louis Walsh's brother.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Would the Mayo county board ask him in the years ahead? I doubt it.

IMG-20200728-153129-2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭westsidestory

Would the Mayo county board ask him in the years ahead? I doubt it.

IMG-20200728-153129-2.jpg
    Think we dodged a bullet when he was not given the Mayo gig, seemed bit naive defensively to put it mildly with the sheep purloiners. One thing talking the talk on the Sunday Game and the 'hot zones', a different beast on the sideline calling the shots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭muddle84

I always liked him as a pundit on the Sunday Game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

The tax guy. Frank Walsh. Is that Louis Walsh's brother.

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

"Mayo GAA is delighted to announce we have agreed an extension to our sponsorship with Intersport Elverys.They will continue to be our title sponsor until 2025 for which we are very thankful.
    We are also delighted to announce an extension of sponsorship agreements with Smyths Toys Ireland and O Neills Sportswear."

https://mayogaa.com/news-detail/10064999/

It will be interesting to hear what monies will accrue to Mayo GAA.

I wonder did we get anymore money from elverys. They weren't throwing alot into the pot to be honest for a team with huge exposure.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,881 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Think we dodged a bullet when he was not given the Mayo gig, seemed bit naive defensively to put it mildly with the sheep purloiners. One thing talking the talk on the Sunday Game and the 'hot zones', a different beast on the sideline calling the shots.

As said earlier I always liked him as a pundit on the Sunday Game and admired him for giving up a well paid number to put his money where his mouth was, but being at the Roscommon v Donegal super 8 game in Hyde Park a few years ago, naive defensively is an understatement
    Roscommon were absolutely brutal defensively.

As a manager i thought he was far too nice with Roscommon. Cunningham has done a much better job with largely the same group of players. The team has a real bite and much more physical with Cunningham.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭BandMember

Couldn't agree more! Keep him as far away as possible!! Having said that, the likelihood is pretty much zero as he'll want that clown of a brother in law with him and nobody will ever accept that. Just like last time.

BandMember wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more! Keep him as far away as possible!! Having said that, the likelihood is pretty much zero as he'll want that clown of a brother in law with him and nobody will ever accept that. Just like last time.

I'd have reservations about appointing Kevin McStay but as charlie14 quite rightly mentioned he was'nt afraid to leave the Sunday Game studio and dip his head into the inter county scene.

Many have said he was handed an All Ireland with St. Brigid's with all the ground work the previous incumbent put in.Re Roscommon I am not so the talent/defensive material was there albeit they were poor defensively.You can't work miracles.

Perhaps I am giving him an overgenerous pass re same.

I firmly believe he treated very shabbily by the county board pre the joint managers appointment.

I have listened to him on podcasts as he is Mayo to his very core and like his brother in law was a wonderful servant of the green and red.

It is pretty unnecessary for you to label as fine a servant of the green and red as Liam Mc Hale a clown.

One can have issues with his ability on the line,allegedly archaic training methods.He may have upset players with some comments but...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,480 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I'd have reservations about appointing Kevin McStay but as charlie14 quite rightly mentioned he was'nt afraid to leave the Sunday Game studio and dip his head into the inter county scene.

Many have said he was handed an All Ireland with St. Brigid's with all the ground work the previous incumbent put in.Re Roscommon I am not so the talent/defensive material was there albeit they were poor defensively.You can't work miracles.

Perhaps I am giving him an overgenerous pass re same.

I firmly believe he treated very shabbily by the county board pre the joint managers appointment.

I have listened to him on podcasts as he is Mayo to his very core and like his brother in law was a wonderful servant of the green and red.

It is pretty unnecessary for you to label as fine a servant of the green and red as Liam Mc Hale a clown.

One can have issues with his ability on the line,allegedly archaic training methods.He may have upset players with some comments but...

Agreed about Liam McHale. He has been a very good contributor to Mayo footballer - as a player, and at least had the courage to go into management. Insulting them on a faceless forum is cowardly. And no basis for it.

Anyway,I think McStay would be an effective manager. Seems to have a cool head. And I think the experience that he has picked up on the Sunday Game has provided him with great insights in terms of tactics,team structures. We only see the final product of the SUnday Game - an hour or an hour and a half. But the hours that those guys spend in analysing game after game will surely have educated him on tactics. And liaising with the likes of Spillane,Brolly, Tomas O'SHea etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Agreed about Liam McHale. He has been a very good contributor to Mayo footballer - as a player, and at least had the courage to go into management. Insulting them on a faceless forum is cowardly. And no basis for it.

Anyway,I think McStay would be an effective manager. Seems to have a cool head. And I think the experience that he has picked up on the Sunday Game has provided him with great insights in terms of tactics,team structures. We only see the final product of the SUnday Game - an hour or an hour and a half. But the hours that those guys spend in analysing game after game will surely have educated him on tactics. And liaising with the likes of Spillane,Brolly, Tomas O'SHea etc.

An effective manager? He was so naive with The Roadies. Seemed to be trying to ape Horans early spell with Mayo with regards to whatever you score, we'll score more without any defensive strategy at all.

In fairness if there wasn't some substance to what McStay had as a manager they wouldn't have gotten to a club all ireland let alone win it regardless of what the previous manager had done. But I don't think he did a great job with Roscomon, I think he was too straight and the team didn't have the physicality that they have now.

With regards to McHale, its not personal but i just don't like him. I seen him talking about his love for Mayo football in the CLG Acla's clubhouse for the Off the Ball roadshow and how confident he was that we would win and all the rest of it. That was the week before the Dublin Semi Final last year. Coincidently he was sitting a few rows below me in the hogan at the match and he walked right past me 15 minutes before the game finished on his way out. I hate to see anyone leave a match early whether we're winning or losing you should always stick with the team to the end. It just added to my dislike of him, but i hate to see anyone doing that. Don't get me wrong i loved him as a player and he is without doubt in my top ten that ever played for Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

muddle84 wrote: »
    In fairness if there wasn't some substance to what McStay had as a manager they wouldn't have gotten to a club all ireland let alone win it regardless of what the previous manager had done. But I don't think he did a great job with Roscomon, I think he was too straight and the team didn't have the physicality that they have now.

With regards to McHale, its not personal but i just don't like him. I seen him talking about his love for Mayo football in the CLG Acla's clubhouse for the Off the Ball roadshow and how confident he was that we would win and all the rest of it. That was the week before the Dublin Semi Final last year. Coincidently he was sitting a few rows below me in the hogan at the match and he walked right past me 15 minutes before the game finished on his way out. I hate to see anyone leave a match early whether we're winning or losing you should always stick with the team to the end. It just added to my dislike of him, but i hate to see anyone doing that. Don't get me wrong i loved him as a player and he is without doubt in my top ten that ever played for Mayo.

McHale is an interesting guy. He always seem to have had an 'uneasy' relationship with Mayo supporters who never seemed to really like him. I remember reading a good piece about it ages ago - was it in the "House of Pain" book? It explored why Mayo supporters didn't take to him.

I can never understand people leaving early either. Personally, I prefer to stay 5 - 10 minutes after the end to let the crowd disperse and can leave in some comfort then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

I left that same game with about 15 minutes to go as well. The game was done, there was a huge queue for the commuter train, staying any longer in Croke Park would have cost me at least an hour. I was up late from working a 24hr shift the night before and wanted to get the drive home done as quick as possible. Different story if the game was tight but everyone's circumstances are different, who know's what Liam's were. It seems a bit petty to hold it against him.

TBF that OTB roadshow was absolutely cringeworthy in it's pro Mayo bias when one considered how big of underdogs we were on the following Saturday.

I was embarrassed.Poor auld Damian Comer had to deliver the reality check that it was improbable Mayo would triumph.

Loved the PJ Loftus story.:D

https://twitter.com/offtheball/status/1159852287394758657?s=19

Agreed Liam McHale has appeared to have an uneasy relationship with the Mayo support.

I believe it was in part due to his relaxed personality and later introduction into the fold after all his basketball success.

I must read back House of Pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭BandMember

Did you not see any of his time in charge of Roscommon or the car crash ending in the Super 8's??? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

I was hoping macstsy would be kept on with the rossies he was doing a great job.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Analysing a game after the fact requires some form of understanding but I don't know how anyone would use it as a selling point for an intercounty manager.

I think he's a very "lite" manager. Comes in, creates a buzz and confidence in players but ultimately there doesn't seem to be much substance or tactical plan behind it. I can see how he could bring immediate success to a good bunch but wouldn't expect anything long term.

As for the cool head, nearly sure he lost the head a fair bit when the purple patch with the Rossies had passed.

PARlance wrote: »
    Analysing a game after the fact requires some form of understanding but I don't know how anyone would use it as a selling point for an intercounty manager.

I think he's a very "lite" manager. Comes in, creates a buzz and confidence in players but ultimately there doesn't seem to be much substance or tactical plan behind it. I can see how he could bring immediate success to a good bunch but wouldn't expect anything long term.

As for the cool head, nearly sure he lost the head a fair bit when the purple patch with the Rossies had passed.

You might be referring to this:

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/gaa/11444892/kevin-mcstay-incident

Brilliant throw in fairness. Although I remember Colm Parkinson making the point that he never meant to hit the linesman as it would be impossible to pinpoint the throw as well as he did, which is probably true!

Anywhere I can see the Mayo club football fixtures for this weekend?

The obvious place mayogaa.com

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

Attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Some will be streamed on Facebook pages - I’m fairly sure Balla‘S game and Belmullet V Ballaghadereen will be streamed if you want to watch, and MayoGaaTV have the Tubber v Aghamore game as well as Charlestown v Mitchells Tomorrow.
    They are showing Breaffy v Westport on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,597 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Lads...sorry in advance if I'm missing something obvious but where can you buy tickets for club games this weekend?

Hoping to pop into the Balla game this evening....have made contact with Balla and Mayo on Twitter but no reply yet..

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Lads...sorry in advance if I'm missing something obvious but where can you buy tickets for club games this weekend?

Hoping to pop into the Balla game this evening....have made contact with Balla and Mayo on Twitter but no reply yet..
    You can't buy tickets. Guaranteed all long distributed at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,597 ✭✭✭Cartman78

You can't buy tickets. Guaranteed all long distributed at this stage.

Ahh ok.... that's what I half suspected alright...cheers

• Advertisement

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Ahh ok.... that's what I half suspected alright...cheers

Some facility through the cairde maigh eo system as well. My dad got ticket for local club that way. Then clubs allocated the rest and then up to club to distribute.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement