Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,892 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

blinding wrote: »
    Twas a great sight to See. Against bigger men. The Mark would have been great for him and Mayo at that time. They played Kerry in a semi-final once and Kerry just send out Seanie Walsh ( a damn fine player in his own right )in the Second Half just to Break the Ball. Willie Joe was only a young fella then.

He must be up there with the Best High Fielders of All Time !

He definitely is. He might not rank as high for training on winter nights though.
    Story I heard years ago. One dark night at county training with only half the pitch lit up, Willie Joe went to retrieve a ball that had just trickled off into the dark half of the pitch. A search party was being organised just as he re-appeared into the light. :D

Come the day when he was needed though, fitness was never a problem.What Willie Joe had could never be taught.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

So it's looking like we'll have a club and inter county championship after all.:)

Club games will kick off from Friday 31st July 2020.

County training resumes on the 14th September 2020 with the inter county schedule to commence no earlier than the 17th October 2020.

Not a lot of time to run it all off with far less favourable weather conditions than would be norm even taking account of the unpredictability of Irish weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,324 ✭✭✭naughto

Hope it's just the championship they play and forget about the league

naughto wrote: »
    Hope it's just the championship they play and forget about the league

I'm hopeful there's zero chance they'll complete the league.

Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

The GAA have put up the full Mayo Roscommon 2001 Connacht final on YouTube for anyone wants to wallow in sadness. Hard to believe we'd get to an All-Ireland 3 years later.

What's obvious watching is how much the game has changed even since then. A lot of hit and hope boots up the field were still going on in the early 2000's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

• Registered Users Posts: 15,035 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Say it ain't so.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,892 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Say it ain't so.

Amen to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

I think a lot of counties would probably be in favour of playing round 6 games as a "warm up" for championship. However, squashing relegation/promotion round 7 games into the middle of the championship in the middle of winter is just daft. And that is on the back of a very hectic club league and championship schedule

• Registered Users Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭irishgeo

km79 wrote: »

We are done for anyway i think. regardless of when its played.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭muddle84

I really don't want to play those games but if we were in with a chance of winning it again I'd be mad for us to play them so fair is fair i guess! There is a first time for everything but these lads always manage to scrape something together to hang on in the league so bring it on!!

In other news, Ah Ref is reporting that Donie Buckley is going working with Claregalway.

muddle84 wrote: »
    I really don't want to play those games but if we were in with a chance of winning it again I'd be mad for us to play them so fair is fair i guess! There is a first time for everything but these lads always manage to scrape something together to hang on in the league so bring it on!!

In other news, Ah Ref is reporting that Donie Buckley is going working with Claregalway.
    That will cost a fair euros. I wonder where the money is coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Carol25

Mayo v Dublin Alliance league game from this year is on Eir Sport 2 now.

Latest Mayo News Podcast.

John Maughan special.

https://themayonews.podomatic.com/enclosure/2020-06-23T11_49_00-07_00.mp3

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

League called off. Right decision IMO, didn’t see the point of flogging lads.

Anyone hear anything about the women’s county board?
    Allegedly the Connacht council have stepped in to take over the running of it as there is €19k in unaccounted for cheques (note unaccounted not missing), 10 of the county board have stepped aside until that question is answered. The chairperson allegedly reported this to the guards in December, who have no record of the complaint but are now investigating it. This seems to be a tiny fraction of what is being circulated on email to club secretaries.

Why can we just not be normal?

Green&Red wrote: »

Allegedly the Connacht council have stepped in to take over the running of it as there is €19k in unaccounted for cheques (note unaccounted not missing), 10 of the county board have stepped aside until that question is answered. The chairperson allegedly reported this to the guards in December, who have no record of the complaint but are now investigating it. This seems to be a tiny fraction of what is being circulated on email to club secretaries.

Have you a link to the league been called off?

RTE News website reporting it will be concluded and the championship will be a straight knock out ( No back door ).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

seligehgit wrote: »

RTE News website reporting it will be concluded and the championship will be a straight knock out ( No back door ).

This is also what I have been hearing.

I can see the point of finishing the league in the sense that it provides 2 games to prepare for championship. They may as well do that instead of challenge matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭boosabum

club leagues i think he is referring to

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Sorry, county league

• Advertisement

boosabum wrote: »
    club leagues i think he is referring to

I can see the logic of cancelling the club leagues. A lot had not started. Most of those that had started had only 1 match played.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,418 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Assume he means that the local leagues are called off. That is true. Just championship.plus the Michael Walsh leagues after it.

Green&Red wrote: »

Perhaps he means the mayo clubs league.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭spakman

I heard it was the club league that was scrapped, not the intercounty league, but I could have that wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭HBC08

Unfortunately for us the league will be played out.This was always going to be the case as the can do it in a week.
    The whole championship being played (possibly behind closed doors) and finishing Christmas week seems ridiculous to me.Who is asking for this? nobody wants it as far as i can see.
    I thunk they should write off the championship and let players

• Registered Users Posts: 7,324 ✭✭✭naughto

HBC08 wrote: »
    Unfortunately for us the league will be played out.This was always going to be the case as the can do it in a week.
    The whole championship being played (possibly behind closed doors) and finishing Christmas week seems ridiculous to me.Who is asking for this? nobody wants it as far as i can see.

Sky aig rte money talks even if no 1 at them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Who's asking for it and who wants it? Are you living in your own little world or something?

https://www.the42.ie/gpa-5-5129447-Jun2020/#comments

The vast vast majority of players want to return and they've even indicated to the GPA they want to return to training earlier than the guidelines. They also want the December finish to have it done before Xmas.

The GAA clearly want it given how much extra effort is being put in to organise it in strange circumstances. They also want the December finish so it doesn't mess with next year's calender.

The TV companies want it. And given how much talk there's been, the general public obviously want it rather than have nothing. You can guarantee that the semis and Finals in both codes will sell out and they'll again be some of the most watched events of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

I don't see HQ allowing the championship to commence if the only option is to play games behind closed doors. Loads of games in Croke park (Mr Prenty is already looking to play Connacht games there) with 50% capacity looks more likely providing the virus remains as contained as it currently is.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

I don't see HQ allowing the championship to commence if the only option is to play games behind closed doors. Loads of games in Croke park (Mr Prenty is already looking to play Connacht games there) with 50% capacity looks more likely providing the virus remains as contained as it currently is.

Just wondering about this. I think there's a reasonable chance of second wave coming in the autumn/winter. So games may have to be played behind closed doors if they go ahead. How will the GAA/broadcasters manage this? Will they try show every game (how feasible is this?)? Will they leave it to 5 minute segments on the Sunday Game? I know Public Health takes priority but if they are having championship games, the smaller counties can't lose out to the bigger counties in terms of coverage. That wouldn't be fair at all.

• Advertisement

PhoneMain wrote: »
    Just wondering about this. I think there's a reasonable chance of second wave coming in the autumn/winter. So games may have to be played behind closed doors if they go ahead. How will the GAA/broadcasters manage this? Will they try show every game (how feasible is this?)? Will they leave it to 5 minute segments on the Sunday Game? I know Public Health takes priority but if they are having championship games, the smaller counties can't lose out to the bigger counties in terms of coverage. That wouldn't be fair at all.

If there is a 2nd wave, I'd say we will see the cancellation of the GAA season.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement