Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

km79 wrote: »
    The first thing to say is the sample size is very small for him at county level . So I hope and would love to be very wrong
    If he was younger and had a different intercounty coach I’d be more optimistic
    But he is 27 years old and our tackle ing in he real has gone down hill since Buckley left

O Hora is VERY loose in the tackle at that level. Lot of head high tackles. And that’s at league not championship pace
    I’d have serious doubts that can be coaches out of him at this stage

You could argue Vaughan was very loose as well when he came in but he was a serious player for us. It depends really where he is played and if he was on the half back line then he does not need to be as tight as in the corner. I wasn't aware he was 27 which would lead the question why he didn't make it before now. I thought he was around 23 or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,418 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

You could argue Vaughan was very loose as well when he came in but he was a serious player for us. It depends really where he is played and if he was on the half back line then he does not need to be as tight as in the corner. I wasn't aware he was 27 which would lead the question why he didn't make it before now. I thought he was around 23 or so.

I already said earlier that O'Hora has dipped in and out of football. Dabbled with MMA for a short while. He is very much a free spirit.

seligehgit wrote: »
    Excellent list

Can't off the top of my head think of any worthy of inclusion but shall ponder same.

Can't argue with the top 2 but I'd have Zippy much higher,ditto Andy Moran.

Keith Higgins top 3 IMO.

TJ Kilgallon was another fine footballer who could easily move in.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,052 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Full list is 20 so I'd imagine all the names mentioned here will get in

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Agreed.

He wouldn't make my top 10 though.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,052 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Actual top 10:
    Keegan, McHale, Higgins, Nallen, Moran, MacDonald, Boyle, Clarke, Padden, O'Shea

Actual top 10:
    Keegan, McHale, Higgins, Nallen, Moran, MacDonald, Boyle, Clarke, Padden, O'Shea

Ya a good list although I am not totally sold on Padden. I think of some other guys like Kevin Cahill who was probably the best full back we have had in a long time, another Kenneth Mortimer who was excellent in the corner. One guy who had the raw talent but never got into the Mayo set up till later on was Kevin O'Neill. I can never understand why he never made serious in roads on the county scene as he had loads of talent.

I think overall Keegan and McDonald are the finest footballers to have worn the jersey.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Ya a good list although I am not totally sold on Padden. I think of some other guys like Kevin Cahill who was probably the best full back we have had in a long time, another Kenneth Mortimer who was excellent in the corner. One guy who had the raw talent but never got into the Mayo set up till later on was Kevin O'Neill. I can never understand why he never made serious in roads on the county scene as he had loads of talent.

I think overall Keegan and McDonald are the finest footballers to have worn the jersey.
    Kevin O’Neill had a bad knee injury which he never came back as good as he was (physically fit wise )

What a Player in his Hayday ! ! !

Totally agree Audioslaven.

Keegan would be top dog for me with Ciaran Mc numero deux.

Kenneth Mortimer would be a top 10 pick for me instead of Willie Joe.The finest corner back in the country when in his pomp.

TBF to Kevin O Neill who was a very gifted ciotog injuries I believe hindered his career.I am not sure managers had the necessary faith in him.

Did'nt he head off to the US at one stage?

For such a troubled position historically for Mayo the Ballagh man Kevin Cahill was probably the finest full back we had in modern times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭statto25

Actual top 10:

Maybe I'm out of touch but surprised to see Conor Mortimer not in there. He shot the lights out for consecutive years in the 2000s and was an excellent forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,418 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

statto25 wrote: »
    Maybe I'm out of touch but surprised to see Conor Mortimer not in there. He shot the lights out for consecutive years in the 2000s and was an excellent forward.

Even as a youngster I couldn't see what people saw in him. He wouldn't win a ball in a contest with a wet paper bag.

Yet another list.

Top 20 footballers in Connacht

1. Padraig Joyce
    2. Dermot Earley
    3. Lee Keegan
    4. Ja Fallon
    5. Mickey Kearns
    6. Michael Donnellan
    7. Tony McManus
    8. Harry Keegan
    9. Liam McHale
    10. Keith Higgins
    11. Kevin Walsh
    12. James Nallen
    13. Sean Og dePaor
    14. Andy Moran
    15. Ciaran McDonald
    16. Eamon O Hora
    17. Michael Meehan
    18. Mickey Quinn
    19. Pat Lindsey
    20. Johnny Hughes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭statto25

Even as a youngster I couldn't see what people saw in him. He wouldn't win a ball in a contest with a wet paper bag.

He was a natural forward though, something we know is hard to come by in Mayo. Tackling wasn't his strong point but neither was Colm Coopers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭muddle84

He was a good scorer, but i always thought the ball had to be handed to him. I wouldn't mention him in the same sentence as gooch, I always thought gooch could win his own ball.

Not to mention the fact he f*?ked off when the county needed him most.

muddle84 wrote: »
    He was a good scorer, but i always thought the ball had to be handed to him. I wouldn't mention him in the same sentence as gooch, I always thought gooch could win his own ball.

Not to mention the fact he f*?ked off when the county needed him most.
    Hit and miss !

blinding wrote: »
    Kevin O’Neill had a bad knee injury which he never came back as good as he was (physically fit wise )

What a Player in his Hayday ! ! !

Ya i heard about the injury but I do think managers just didn't go for him. He was two years ahead of me in Jarlath's when he came in as a fifth year student. He was over age so he couldn't play for them. He went out on alot of days on his own to belt balls over the ball. He was just so talented and its a real pity it never got realized to its full potential. I would have put him in the McDonald bracket but it never worked out.

That is so true. He could not catch a ball above his head but he was very accurate. It always came home in finals where he was marked out of it. He was decent but he would be nowhere near the top 10. Kenneth and Trevor were far superior footballers maybe didn't have the same skill level as him, but their attitude and strength made them better footballers from a team's perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Ya i heard about the injury but I do think managers just didn't go for him. He was two years ahead of me in Jarlath's when he came in as a fifth year student. He was over age so he couldn't play for them. He went out on alot of days on his own to belt balls over the ball. He was just so talented and its a real pity it never got realized to its full potential. I would have put him in the McDonald bracket but it never worked out.

I remember one of my first days being inside Croke Park was watching us get mauled off Cork in an All Ireland Semi-Final, think it was '93. O' Néill got an All Star for his performance despite us being destroyed.

He had a renaissance then thirteen years later being involved in the '06 run to the final. Just a pity he wasn't involved more in his prime.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

That is so true. He could not catch a ball above his head but he was very accurate. It always came home in finals where he was marked out of it. He was decent but he would be nowhere near the top 10. Kenneth and Trevor were far superior footballers maybe didn't have the same skill level as him, but their attitude and strength made them better footballers from a team's perspective.
    I would agree and disagree
    Kenneth was a very skillful footballer
    A different skill set but still skillful. Don’t forget he played centre forward when he captained us to beat Galway in Tuam in 99!
    I would have Kenneth as the best of the 3. A blend of Conors skill and Trevor’s work rate and aggression .
    I couldn’t believe it when I seen Harrison picked ahead of him on the Blogs team .........

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭White lighting

As an outsider i think hes been Mayo's best foward with Andy Moran the last 15-20 years. Offered way more from play than the likes of Cillian who to be fair is a great ball winner but is as stiff as a plank and largely ineffective outside his free taking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

I have tbh on something else too
    I have seen Tom Parsons in some of these lists
    I think that’s rose tinted glasses due to his positivity in recovery
    He had a couple of really good seasons?
    There are at least 5/6 midfielders ahead of him. Seamie o Shea for example doesn’t seem to get any credit. Hugely important player for us . And actually complemented Parsons quite well without getting the same plaudits due to his steadier style

Maybe I’m being harsh ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BandMember

Actual top 10:

I'd have TJ Kilgallon and Kevin Cahill on that list ahead of Padden and McHale. No contest.

Not just that list, but a lot of players are vastly overrated based on one incident or game which made their name, but when you look at their career in total, was actually not great at all. It's like that old saying about how it's harder to get off the team than it is to get on it....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

There are at least 5/6 midfielders ahead of him. Seamie o Shea for example doesn’t seem to get any credit. Hugely important player for us . And actually complemented Parsons quite well without getting the same plaudits due to his steadier style

Maybe I’m being harsh ?

A good point, some fans see the positives in some players and focus on the negatives in others, for whatever reasons. Often not intentional and most of the time subconsciously.

Probably down to our expectations of that player and a whole host of other things. It's also hard to be balanced and not pay attention to highlights/lowlights as well.

The one thing I'll say about Tom is that, under Buckley, I think he was the best Mayo midfielder in the tackle I've seen and at his peak, and was up there with anyone in the country in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

Maybe I’m being harsh ?

I've always thought that about Seamie O'Shea too. Was a crucial player in many of our big championship games over the last decade. Even last summer he gave us a huge boost after returning from injury to play in the Kerry, Meath, Donegal and Dublin games.

Tom Parsons was very good 2015 - 2017 but didn't have the longevity of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭muddle84

RedDevil55 wrote: »
    I've always thought that about Seamie O'Shea too. Was a crucial player in many of our big championship games over the last decade. Even last summer he gave us a huge boost after returning from injury to play in the Kerry, Meath, Donegal and Dublin games.

I have to agree on Tom Parsons, he seemed to find his place in the team in 2015 and had two absolutely fantastic years in 2016 an 2017. There was nothing to say his form wouldn't have continued but 2 outstanding years doesn't put him in the top 10!

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

Actual top 10:

Granted I'm too young to remember Padden and even McHale, but Aidan O'Shea should be a good bit higher on that. I also couldn't believe Cillian O'Connor was only 15th. Without him, we wouldn't have got very far at all the last 10 years.

Tom Parson did a bit of an Kevin O'Neill on it as well but came back with a bang and had a few great season. I really though he was going to rule it when he came in so young and worked so well. It went downhill for a few years.

It's funny how some guys work and some don't. The lucky ones get a second bite and tend to make the most of it. Andy only started to get good when he hit around 25/26. Other guys like Gill from westport, pat harte looked so promising but never really stepped up. Sometimes I think it is all about belief in their own ability and maybe just lack the bit of confidence to drive it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,892 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Granted I'm too young to remember Padden and even McHale, but Aidan O'Shea should be a good bit higher on that. I also couldn't believe Cillian O'Connor was only 15th. Without him, we wouldn't have got very far at all the last 10 years.

It`s a shame you never got to see Willie Joe play People nowadays talk about high fielders that can catch a ball over their heads when fielding, Willie Joe could do that and more. When you thought it was gone, he could field it behind his head. I`m from Donegal, but any conversation I have had with GAA people in my own county or any other, when it comes to the great fielders, anybody who ever saw the man play has him up there with the greats.
    He was always a player that, to use that old expression, wintered well, and from knowing people that played with him at county, not a lover of dark nights training, but come long evenings and dry pitches Willie Joe was in in his element.
    There may have been other faults to his game, but when it came to the primary objective, at least in those days of fielding a high ball in a crowded midfield, Willie Joe Padden was a master of the art. And will long be remembered as so by those that were lucky enough to have seen him play

charlie14 wrote: »
    It`s a shame you never got to see Willie Joe play People nowadays talk about high fielders that can catch a ball over their heads when fielding, Willie Joe could do that and more. When you thought it was gone, he could field it behind his head. I`m from Donegal, but any conversation I have had with GAA people in my own county or any other, when it comes to the great fielders, anybody who ever saw the man play has him up there with the greats.
    He was always a player that, to use that old expression, wintered well, and from knowing people that played with him at county, not a lover of dark nights training, but come long evenings and dry pitches Willie Joe was in in his element.
    There may have been other faults to his game, but when it came to the primary objective, at least in those days of fielding a high ball in a crowded midfield, Willie Joe Padden was a master of the art. And will long be remembered as so by those that were lucky enough to have seen him play

There is a famous Mayo supporter around Ballinrobe who used to say "Willie Joe would jump so high he would pull a crow from the sky". He really had some bounce

• Advertisement

charlie14 wrote: »
    Twas a great sight to See. Against bigger men. The Mark would have been great for him and Mayo at that time. They played Kerry in a semi-final once and Kerry just send out Seanie Walsh ( a damn fine player in his own right )in the Second Half just to Break the Ball. Willie Joe was only a young fella then.

He must be up there with the Best High Fielders of All Time !

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement