Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

naughto wrote: »
    Donkey

Who?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,374 ✭✭✭irishgeo

the reply will be very interesting, no wonder the chairman has taken ill.

some on the county board dont seem to like him. judging by bad mouthing of him and contacting the Mayo Ladies Board.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

irishgeo wrote: »
    the reply will be very interesting, no wonder the chairman has taken ill.

some on the county board dont seem to like him. judging by bad mouthing of him and contacting the Mayo Ladies Board.

Thats in poor taste though im assuming you dont know the details?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭naughto

mayo.mick wrote: »
    Who?

Was on about the letter where they called o Leary a donkey and cc him in the email

• Registered Users Posts: 9,374 ✭✭✭irishgeo

i was joking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,026 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Blackjack wrote: »
    To be fair to him he’s not wrong in anything he has said so far. He’s highlighted where a lot of issues stem from and if I’m not mistaken you’ve said yourself in the past that if this group of players were to win an all Ireland it would be despite the county board and not as a result of much of what they have done. I may be misquoting you but I’m certain it was yourself.

Plus if he has the confidence to think that his exposed lad in a large crowd would put off a penalty taker then fair play to him. If we are to get into the ins and outs of his personal life I’d say in the role he does in his job he’s far from a donkey. People don’t do what he does without having quite powerful grey matter between his ears.

Anyway I don’t think the discussion on the mans personal life has a place here- he has his dealings to do with the County board and he’s given them quite a lot of money for specific purposes and he’s fully entitled to see that it’s spent on what it was agreed that it should be spent on. It’s money that needs to be spent anyway so if it comes from Peter to pay for what peter asked it to pay for then any money from Paul can be spent on the numerous areas that other money needs to be spent.

You probably are misquoting me, but then again I may have said it, and such a statement may have some truth to it.

My opinion of the County Board is that they are not as bad as many here make them out to be.
    It's easy to criticize them for negative things but people are slow to credit them for the positive things.

There was a lot of anger towards them a number of years ago when McStay was not given the managers job.
    But in reality not giving it to McStay was a smart move.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Agreed I don't think this is the correct forum for posting information of a personal nature even if it was made in jest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭Blackjack

You probably are misquoting me, but then again I may have said it, and such a statement may have some truth to it.

My opinion of the County Board is that they are not as bad as many here make them out to be.
    It's easy to criticize them for negative things but people are slow to credit them for the positive things.

There was a lot of anger towards them a number of years ago when McStay was not given the managers job.

No doubting it’s a thankless job, but it’s hard not to be annoyed when you see some of the carry on. Niall McGarry offered 10k of his own money to help appoint a commercial director and it takes over 2 years to get to the appointment.
    This whole three ringed circus with a man who’s willing to hand over very large sums of money if they provide business plans is something that was entirely preventable if it was handled correctly.

The McStay thing whether it was the right decision or not was handled appallingly. Getting the brother of a board member and his mate was probably as bad if not worse an appointment, and we all know what happened after that.

The problem is that they don't necessarily highlight the things that they do well. If people don’t know what you’re doing the’ll assume you are doing nothing, whether that’s the fair or not. The County board have not handled things very well on a number of fronts but there’s been too many very public cock ups in this current boards term when things on the field should have been the focus of effort and attention, not the continual firefighting and damage limitations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

BS, they messed it up by giving it to C&H, who did not want it and it all came tumbling down when the players went against the management. It would appear that they sounded out C&H to take the job when they didn't want Mcstay. At least he wanted the job.

I would argue there is more substance to Mcstay than Holmes. It is very clear that they made a complete balls of the process. These guys do not understand the simple concept of following an agreed process. It is as simple as that.

I'd argue there was a lot of anger towards the county board at the time and in the aftermath because of the ham fisted manner they handled the process.

Kevin McStay was treated very poorly and undoubtedly appeared to want the job far more than Pat Holmes/Noel Connolly.

Whither it was an issue around money or McStay's insistence that Liam McHale be part of his team it was handled very poorly.

Who's to say it was a smart move by the county board?Hindsight is a great thing.

IMO McStay had a lot to offer Mayo football and it's a shame he never got a chance to manage his native county as he evidently so badly wanted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

BS, they messed it up by giving it to C&H, who did not want it and it all came tumbling down when the players went against the management. It would appear that they sounded out C&H to take the job when they didn't want Mcstay. At least he wanted the job.

I would argue there is more substance to Mcstay than Holmes. It is very clear that they made a complete balls of the process. These guys do not understand the simple concept of following an agreed process. It is as simple as that.

Couldn't agree more. That was a joke of an appointment and the process itself was a circus. In the end it took the player's to come together in order to put a stop to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Connacht FBD 2020

Quarter finals.
    Sligo v Roscommon

Semi finals
    Leitrim v Sligo/Roscommon
    Mayo v Galway

Connacht U20 championship 2020

Quarter final
    Mayo v Galway

Semi final
    Sligo v Roscommon
    Mayo/Galway v Leitrim

Mayo 2004-2006 selection to face the club selection in the John Morrison memorial match.

1. John Healy
    2. Gary Mullins
    3. David Heaney
    4. Gary Ruane
    5. Pat Kelly
    6. Ger Brady
    7. Trevor Mortimer
    8. Ronan McGarrity
    9. David Brady
    10. Kevin O Neill
    11. Ciaran McDonald
    12. Michael Moyles
    13. Conor Mortimer
    14. Austin O Malley
    15. Brian Maloney

So looking forward to seeing this curtain raiser.

Mayo team to face the Underdogs

1. Michael Schlingermann
    2. Ben Doyle
    3. Padraig O Hora
    4. James Stretton
    5. James Mc Cormack
    6. Stephen Coen (C)
    7. Oisin Mullins
    8. Matthew Ruane
    9. Gavin Durcan
    10. Fionn Mc Donagh
    11. Darren Mc Hale
    12. Jordan Flynn
    13. Gary Boylan
    14. Brian Reape
    15. Paul Towey

Substitutes

Ruairi Byrne
    Oisin Mc Loughlin
    Basil Mc Leod
    Barry Duffy
    Jack Irwin
    Keith Rutledge
    Cathal Slattery
    John Gallagher
    Steven Rochford
    Conor Naylor
    Dylan Cannon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Doubt Mattie Ruane will be up to much this evening. Was at Leeroys wedding in Doolin last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

seligehgit wrote: »
    Sponsors are beginning to cop on to the rip offs by County Boards and teams. Big money donors arent going to be conned by getting a photo with the team to hang behind the bar in Brooklyn

• Registered Users Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Underdogs living down to their name so far...

Enjoyable evening's entertainment seeing all the stalwarts.

Fair play to all and sundry who participated in the John Morrison memorial game.Club lads fitness was the big difference.

Ciaran Mc looks as fit as ever.Some wonderful foot passes.Lovely to see the children swarm around him for the autographs.Ronan Mc Garrity can still fetch a ball and retains a great ability to distribute the ball.

The Mort retains a lovely ciotog(Trevor takes no prisoners!:) )Austin O Malley an able target man.Brian Maloney showed well too.

Re the main event delighted to see the two goalkeepers get a chance.

More so Padraig O Hora deservedly got his opportunity and impressed.The backs in general played well as the Underdogs were poor and wayward in their shooting.Lots of pace about them.

Up front Gary Boylan Jordan Flynn and Darren Mc Hale really impressed.

Feeling very positive about what's coming through.

No idea what the story was with Ryan O Donoghue?

• Advertisement

seligehgit wrote: »
    Enjoyable evening's entertainment seeing all the stalwarts.

Fair play to all and sundry who participated in the John Morrison memorial game.Club lads fitness was the big difference.

Ciaran Mc looks as fit as ever.Some wonderful foot passes.Lovely to see the children swarm around him for the autographs.Ronan Mc Garrity can still fetch a ball and retains a great ability to distribute the ball.

The Mort retains a lovely ciotog(Trevor takes no prisoners!:) )Austin O Malley an able target man.Brian Maloney showed well too.

Re the main event delighted to see the two goalkeepers get a chance.

More so Padraig O Hora deservedly got his opportunity and impressed.The backs in general played well as the Underdogs were poor and wayward in their shooting.Lots of pace about them.

Up front Gary Boylan Jordan Flynn and Darren Mc Hale really impressed.

Feeling very positive about what's coming through.

No idea what the story was with Ryan O Donoghue?

I liked the look of O’Hora alright. McHale scored a few nice points but made a few mistakes. I was impressed with Jordan Flynn, very composed, very strong and with a bit of pace you wouldn’t expect from a lad his size. I thought Oisin Mullen came into it more as the game went on, he had a better second half.

Boylan was outstanding, though hard to know how much of that was down to the opposition too. They did keep switching the markers but couldn’t stop him from causing havoc.

Great win for Tooreen in the Connacht Intermediate Club Championship quarter final.

They ran up a big score.

Tooreen 0-29
    Four Roads 0-19

Fergal Boland got MOTM.

London up next.

Elverys have pulled the plug on there sponsorship

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Ah Jesus
    I have had serious reservations over the Mayo Foundation lads motives for the squabble with the county board since it went very public .........

Where did you hear this from?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭statto25

If that's true there there must be some major sh1t about to hit the fan

Where has this been reported? I had heard at the start of the year that Elverys wouldn't be renewing but still....

Was reported on another site

Was reported on another site

What other site?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement