Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Pineapple1 wrote: »
    Did any read the back page of yesterdays Indo? "O'Leary eyes sponsor bid in new twist to Mayo dispute". What I'm reading is that he wants the sponsorship of Mayo GAA over Elverys and has put his bid in for it. I dont know about ye but I would hate to see Elverys gone from the front of any Mayo jersey. Its part of the green and red at this stage. Correcr me if Im wrong but this is the same chap who is in dispute with Mayo CB over all the funds he gave them....and now he is asking them to consider him for sponsorship?? Christ on a bike

Presumably the job of the new commercial manager is to generate some extra revenue. Naming rights is a quick and easy way to increase funds. Who cares what McHale Park is called once we are getting a massive sum for it. Don't get me wrong Elvery's have been great supporters of the county team but how much do we actually get from them? They are tied up with numerous other counties including Dublin which is hard to believe considering what AIG are pumping into them. You can be sure Kerry Group look after Kerry exceptionally as well. It's time we started making the most of the Mayo brand

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭boosabum

Presumably the job of the new commercial manager is to generate some extra revenue. Naming rights is a quick and easy way to increase funds. Who cares what McHale Park is called once we are getting a massive sum for it. Don't get me wrong Elvery's have been great supporters of the county team but how much do we actually get from them? They are tied up with numerous other counties including Dublin which is hard to believe considering what AIG are pumping into them. You can be sure Kerry Group look after Kerry exceptionally as well. It's time we started making the most of the Mayo brand

In agreement with you but their is also a social type pressure that plays it's part too which can inhibit the ability to realise the best financial deals.
    Let's say Guinness or Benson & Hedges wanted to buy the naming rights then you would have a lot of people saying that this isn't the GAA ethos even though it might be the best financial deal verus someone like McHale Farm Machinery or Allergan

I believe that a lot of local contractors were used when building the new stand as there was a belief that these people would be going to GAA matched there and bring theirs families in the future. It may have cost a big more than having firms from fermanagh or westmeath doing the work but the community aspect needs to be incorporated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Pineapple1

blinding wrote:
    I thought you were talking about the Ryanair Horror Man there for awhile .

Haha, perish the thought..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Best time to play Dublin is in the earlier rounds. They are basically still in pre-season mode and monaghan getting them early this year and beating them was key to keeping them up by the skin of their teeth.

Best of luck with that. ;)

Mayo have yet to record a win over Jim Gavin's Dubs in just the14 attempts.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Did any read the back page of yesterdays Indo? "O'Leary eyes sponsor bid in new twist to Mayo dispute". What I'm reading is that he wants the sponsorship of Mayo GAA over Elverys and has put his bid in for it. I dont know about ye but I would hate to see Elverys gone from the front of any Mayo jersey. Its part of the green and red at this stage. Correcr me if Im wrong but this is the same chap who is in dispute with Mayo CB over all the funds he gave them....and now he is asking them to consider him for sponsorship?? Christ on a bike

I think he just wants a look at the process and how it's awarded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Big day for Castlebar Mitchels tomorrow.

Mayo senior hurling championship final

Castlebar Mitchels v Tooreen @ 14.30

Half Time

Mitchels 0-7

Tooreen 0-10

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭naughto

irishgeo wrote: »
    I think he just wants a look at the process and how it's awarded.

Definitely this from what’s being said there has being no tender process and just kept elverys on as sponsor.

Wasn’t there something that elverys nearly went in to administration only for the employees could be totally wrong on this yet they coukd sponsor the county team

seligehgit wrote: »
    Half Time

Mitchels 0-7

Tooreen 0-10

Full Time

Mitchels 1-13

Tooreen 0-18

A brave effort by the Castlebar lads.A late goal made things interesting but ultimately the aristocrats of Mayo hurling fully deserving of their victory.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

He's looking to see how his money is being spent, its hardly an unreasonable request from what is apparently a very large sponsor. Governance is a massive issue and being able to show transparency should be a prerequisite. The county board need to be accountable for their spending, it shouldn't be a black hole. I would suggest giving him a say in how things are run but he should definitely know what his money is being spent on.

As for Elverys on the front of the shirt, Mayo GAA should be looking for the best possible deal, theres no room for sentimentality, if Mayo were to fall away you can be sure Elverys would be looking for a better deal or moving on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Great for Knockmore to get the league win on Saturday, even if it was an anti-climax, Ballina rolled over, 13 points wasn't flattering to Knockmore, Naughton, Keith Ruttledge, Shane McHale and King were all excellent
    Clarke was the only Ballina man who looked like he wanted to be there but for him it could have been a lot worse
    Word was that two of their players wouldn't come from Dublin to play as they had nothing to play for, as we said Saturday night whatever happened to the bitterness?
    I remember in 1996 Crossmolina going for the league and had to come out to us in October, it was like a championship match, we tore into them, beating them meant Davitts won the league the following week

Anyway our first senior title since 2003, its only the league but its nice to have something, we've gone from a county title every 3/4 years to not winning anything in 16 years, hopefully they can take the step up to Ballintubber in the next year or so. Orme and Naughton are two high quality forwards, the kind you need to be winning the county

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Ah will miss this unfortunately as am doing a certain run around the Big Schmoke on the Monday. I thought it was the week after.

Should be an enjoyable day out though and 10e admission is reasonable enough too. Be curious what team will line out

Green&Red wrote:
    He's looking to see how his money is being spent, its hardly an unreasonable request from what is apparently a very large sponsor. Governance is a massive issue and being able to show transparency should be a prerequisite. The county board need to be accountable for their spending, it shouldn't be a black hole. I would suggest giving him a say in how things are run but he should definitely know what his money is being spent on.

Totally agree with this. Perhaps I worded it the wrong way in my post and it came across as me slightly defending the county board (which I never do, lets just say it like that, I have zero grá or time for them). Just wanted to clear that up. And yes O'Leary has every right to see where his money has gone to and no fan's passion should be exploited the way his has. I just thought it was bizzare, that the county board would entertain a man for sponsorship who dared question them about something he has a right to Q them on.

While I'm here aswell, finally got around to listening to Kevin McStay's interview with Mike Finnerty. Enjoyed it, such a shame he never got a shot at the Mayo job, we will never know though will we, he seems 110% certain he will never manage again, especially Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Sounds like he wants to stay on
    Tbh I think most of them will now
    One last push........

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

km79 wrote: »
    Sounds like he wants to stay on
    Tbh I think most of them will now
    One last push........

I can get where lads want to stay on and play with the same team mates they have played with for years, but that can cause problems not just short term but long term.
    From my own experience I have seen the damage cliques can do in similar situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

charlie14 wrote: »
    I can get where lads want to stay on and play with the same team mates they have played with for years, but that can cause problems not just short term but long term.
    From my own experience I have seen the damage cliques can do in similar situations.

True but the reality is that a lot of these players are still far superior to any possible replacements
    Higgins oddly is prob the exception in that he has real competition for his spot and probably should be a squad player if he does come back
    If he is told that though he may not come back

Clarke is still our best keeper option. I think that argument has firmly been put to bed now .
    Barrett very good for the most part
    Boyler was outstanding. Seamie sorely missed when he wasn’t there
    Obviously Andy is gone but I don’t think there will be the mass exodus people were predicting.
    And we added a few forwards last year so hopefully a few more break through in other sectors this year and we get some luck with injuries
    We are due some

League draw has not been kind though
    And championship not much better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭muddle84

True but the reality is that a lot of these players are still far superior to any possible replacements
    Higgins oddly is prob the exception in that he has real competition for his spot and probably should be a squad player if he does come back

Clarke is still our best keeper option. I think that argument has firmly been put to bed now .
    Obviously Andy is gone but I don’t think there will be the mass exodus people were predicting.
    And we added a few forwards last year so hopefully a few more break through in other sectors this year and we get some luck with injuries
    We are due some

I wonder on the keeper, i think its time we had another option in goals....or maybe a new goalkeeping coach?

I also didn't think Seamie was missed, i thought Ruane was missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭spakman

We are due some

Did Rory Byrne not reopen the goalkeeping debate with his performance for Mitchels v Ballagh?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Lads Seamie is not that old and is an option for us in MF where we are struggling with numbers. I think James needs to invest in 2 young GK's through the winter. This is now a 3 years project so he needs to find a replacement for Clarke. Hopefully Clarkie stays on this year though. Drake Crowe & Regan are three that are definitely gone so along with Andy & Ger Caff some spaces are there for the taking. I'd agree that there is a role in the squad or Higgins, we cannot afford to loose him and Andy in the same off-season

Oisin Mullin was absolutely outstanding in the junior final. Playing in MF he scored 3 points. One off either foot and another directly from the throw-in at the start of the second half. I would expect him Tommy Conroy Ryan O'Donoghue Gary Boylan & Towey to all play a part in the FBD and hopefully the early part of the league as well.

spakman wrote: »
    Did Rory Byrne not reopen the goalkeeping debate with his performance for Mitchels v Ballagh?

TBF he was outstanding.

He's a very solid option with a good kickout and I've rarely seen him falter under the high ball.

Surprised he hasn't been seriously considered previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

We are due some

I can fully understand why, especially county players,who have come so close so many times to the summit would want to give it another go. I can understand why a manager who took a team to that level would want to keep those players in his squad in that for him or her they have been tried and trusted.
    I`m not necessarily the case in this instance but from what I have experienced there is a massive onus on the manager in cases like that to not just manage a team, but to manage the expectations of all the players in the squad, not just those that have been tried and trusted in the past. Get that wrong, and the short term result can have repercussions going well into the future.
    It is probably a harsh term in the context, but in reality players who have soldiered together for years will develop bonds and will look out for each other. Especially when there is competition for individual places.

Again, while it may seem harsh, for me anyway the only and best way for a manager to deal with this is to inform all his intended squad at the outset that in reality old loyalties mean nothing, and that every position is up for grabs, no messing will be tolerated and then let the chips fall where they will.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭PressRun

Higgins will struggle to keep his place next year, imo. I thought he was exposed more than once this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭irishgeo

We need to win Connacht full stop. We should be beating Galway and Roscommon and stop going through qualifiers and picking up injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

irishgeo wrote: »
    We need to win Connacht full stop. We should be beating Galway and Roscommon and stop going through qualifiers and picking up injuries.
    That's what made 2019 so disappointing after the league win.

They made a balls of the Roscommon game and that scuppered everything.

Kerry gave Dublin a run for their money in the first game, Mayo could have equally done that had they won Connacht and taken a different route.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Lukekul

TBF he was outstanding.

He's a very solid option with a good kickout and I've rarely seen him falter under the high ball.

Surprised he hasn't been seriously considered previously.

I'd have to disagree with that in a big way, without the Bird and since Danny Kirby seems to have gone off the boil his kickouts have been exposed I feel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Any word on the county board meeting Wednesday night? Been outta the loop last few weeks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement