Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : 2019 and Winter 2020

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

pad199207 wrote: »
    Thunder heard in Dublin City Centre

Yeah heard thunder down here also earlier
    Some cloudscapes today
    Given it's nearly 4pm now,its not as active today in the east as I thought it would be,yet anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 7,117 ✭✭✭pad199207

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Yeah heard thunder down here also earlier
    Some cloudscapes today
    Given it's nearly 4pm now,its not as active today in the east as I thought it would be,yet anyway

Report came from the father

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Some threatening looking clouds over the airport

You wouldn't be surprised to hear thunder when the likes of these little wall cloud showers are about
    Taken from the Tesco carpark in Arklow a few mins ago
    Temp has also dropped at my station some 3c to 14.8c

Chapelizod now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Sky over Dublin city centre looks like it's spoiling for a fight

Monsoon rain here now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Sky over Dublin city centre looks like it's spoiling for a fight
    "Fight, Fight, Fight!"
    Let's see the 'sparks' fly...

*I should be so lucky :o*

Mortelaro wrote: »
    You wouldn't be surprised to hear thunder when the likes of these little wall cloud showers are about
    Taken from the Tesco carpark in Arklow a few mins ago
    Temp has also dropped at my station some 3c to 14.8c

I see these showers have considerably sparked now off the Wicklow coast

One from Dun Laoghaire today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,108 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Watching a cloud from my window dramatically increase in height in the last 20 minutes. Not large enough to become anything significant imo but a fascinating watch.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Sferic showed up here in N Kerry early this morning . Hit and miss showers but remained dry here near Tralee during daylight hours. Drove through some very heavy showers near Killorglin but would be dry a couple of Km's down the road.

7vyXeIF.gif

FHNPlhz.png

ftEFTxJ.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Trebor176

Sferic showed up here in N Kerry early this morning . Hit and miss showers but remained dry here near Tralee during daylight hours. Drove through some very heavy showers near Killorglin but would be dry a couple of Km's down the road.

7vyXeIF.gif

FHNPlhz.png

ftEFTxJ.png

Jesus, all the lightning

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭robclay26

Was flying into Dublin from Copenhagen this afternoon and the Ryanair plane got hit with lightning. Seen it myself And aircraft grounded for inspection after diverting to Belfast.
    Attached photo of the CB’s in the area at the time

Trebor176 wrote: »
    Jesus, all the lightning

It's not a lot really, the radar wouldn't look anything 99% of the time if the strikes didn't sit on the map for an hour or more.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

ECM showing a bit of convection potential running off or along Southern coasts later tonight / early morning.

Nice bit of Deep Layer Shear available and a convergence zone off the SW which might aid the development of some big enough convection that might become electrified but not sure . Might get a few sferics over water, or the Mountains along the SW might help give a bit of lift. Maybe Cork later ?

EuZLFKC.png?1

7q7i7Eo.png

WlLN723.png

clckUOu.png

9YrfiAs.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Decent cell sparking off the coast of Wicklow....moving away from the coast (obviously)! http://en.blitzortung.org/live_lightning_maps.php?map=12

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Hefty downpour now in Dublin 16. Expecting to hear thunder!

• Advertisement

Some small bit of potential for a bit of lightning showing up in the SW from both the ECMWF and Euro 4 in the early morning. Other models showing a small chance of activity in the W. Could be some heavy pulses of rain going through tonight, more so in the SW and W.

Some rain that.

20mm in the gauge in Naas

pad199207 wrote: »
    20mm in the gauge in Naas

*whistles*

That shower has just arrived here now in Dublin 16. Heavy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

DOCARCH wrote: »
    *whistles*

I was almost expecting to hear a clap of thunder in that one..

Kamili wrote: »
    I was almost expecting to hear a clap of thunder in that one..

Yeah, me too.

Seems to have passed quickly now. Just 2.2mm from it.

DOCARCH wrote: »
    *whistles*

Max rain rate of 138mm/hr

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭pauldry

Hvy shower n sligo.

Over 100mm........for the month now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Some lightning in the showers up towards north Mayo this morning

• Advertisement

Occluded front and trough passing down over the country tomorrow with reasonable CAPE readings giving some heavy convective showers and perhaps brief pulse type thunderstorms.

Blustery early on across the country and then easing to breezy later in the afternoon.

vHF1nDu.png

JTB7qYo.png

VpbGKir.png

iFZw4UY.png

kqsydds.png

Yxxt54G.png

Advertisement