Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : 2019 and Winter 2020

Options

Comments

Lights are dimming intermittently here, now could be the Well Pump, maybe herself has the Washing machine on I don't know because the well pump can dim the lights , we try use the machine on the night rate etc. I will check in a little bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Sparks and thunder here now,SE Tipp

Just heard Thunder here about 4 Km North of Carlow Town.

Nice big Flash and bang here now, only sheet lightning, enough to tempt me to unplug my ham radio.

Rainfall radar shows it should be over soon hopefully get something nice.

Another flash and bang........

• Advertisement

I have to say that the rain on the radar looks much heavier than is actually falling.

Some more flashes and bangs, not very active really, all sheet lightning.

According to the radar, Dublin looks like it could get some decent rain , probably not much lightning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Can hear some decent rumbles in the distance, north Kildare. Rain getting heavier.

Kamili wrote: »
    Can hear some decent rumbles in the distance, north Kildare. Rain getting heavier.

Yeah probably what was over here can hear it to the north now. Not very active at all and not a lot of rain despite what the radar says. Only sheet lightning. In bed now can still hear rumbling but not worth staying up for.

• Advertisement

Some nice bangs and flashes seems to be more over Wicklow, Baltinglass, Dunlavin . I’d say parts of Dublin will get it soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Was woken up a few minutes ago by the longest rumble I can remember. Looking at Euclid it was a positive strike, hence the duration.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

South Dublin here, a downpour woke me at about 3am, had to close the bedroom window then sat up watching it for a bit! Only a few flashes and rumbles but the rain was something else

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

IMO Monday is an interesting day as we see upper parameters more likely to be seen in Spring or Autumn or Winter for that matter. Quite cold upper pool of air and 850hPa temps. The charts currently showing the passage of a trough during peak afternoon diurnal temperatures, giving good lapse rates and quite possibly producing convective showers and possible thunderstorms migrating W to E during the afternoon. Probably see hail in the showers also especially as Cb's mature crossing the country.

DiRE5Oc.png

VXBLC22.png

lh3YUuF.gif

RMA0pRn.png

NpaEY22.png

v2hBDQF.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Some lightning near Rathowen(Between Longford and Mullingar)

Trough passing over the country tomorrow from W to E . Quite a cold upper pool of air for the time of year coupled with diurnal heating producing convection during the afternoon making their way Eastwards and some developing into Cb's which will quite possibly produce scattered thunderstorms.

Might get hail tomorrow also.

Not a lot of DLS overlap but a decent amount of LLS.

Interesting convergence along Eastern coasts tomorrow, might see a fair bit of activity here towards late afternoon / early early evening.

kTTo551.gif

anim_blz9.gif

SiFTkJU.png

JBhENSB.png

KmggEVX.png

wBw6ZbT.png

GHhFS8N.png

XVhrP5A.png

3TyIDHi.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭vickers209

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

A couple of sparks already this morning in north Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

TS moving in over the Clare coast. Good view from Galway city. Was driving so I couldn't get any pictures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Storm 10

TS moving in over the Clare coast. Good view from Galway city. Was driving so I couldn't get any pictures.

Rumble of Thunder Galway Bay

• Registered Users Posts: 21 LoxontheRox

Heavy downpour woke me up , lights flicking and a nice crack of thunder, just outside Lisdoonvarva

Lights at 08:18 am ?

I didn't have lights on at 06:30 having breakfast ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

Anyone confirm sparks on the south coast (Bunmahon - ish)?

487939.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Can confirm Lightning to the East of Waterford City after a heavy shower passed through. Also to the South of Dungarvan

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

14:39h :: 3 rumbles of thunder there now at Cork Airport in last 3 mins. Not showing on detector maps right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Tazio wrote: »
    14:39h :: 3 rumbles of thunder there now at Cork Airport in last 3 mins. Not showing on detector maps right now.

AHHHH so i wasn't hearing things.

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    AHHHH so i wasn't hearing things.

I heard it also,very loud .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Almost certain I Just heard a rumble of thunder in Blackrock, Dublin. Fairly dark clouds overhead a few mins ago with light enough rain now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,117 ✭✭✭pad199207

Thunder heard in Dublin City Centre

Advertisement