Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : 2019 and Winter 2020

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Just a question for the experts here if that storm today had a direct hit on Galway would we have been looking at a Red Warning for rain/hail and lightning, there would bound to have been a lot of lightning damage looking at it this morning.

There wouldn't have been time for a red warning
    Rainfall rates would have brought localised flooding and there would have been widespread power outages from the lightning, only criticism comes from a 'during event's warning anyway if you follow?
    Enough information was given out anyway suggesting possible localised flooding both today yesterday and the day before for people not to have been caught unawares if you follow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

No mention of risk of thunder showers tonight on the latest forecast on met.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,118 ✭✭✭pad199207

Keep an eye around the North of Biscay

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

Another line of convective cloud has developed in the past 20 minutes in the east midlands. Probably won't come to much, if anything but like earlier, it's worth keeping an eye on.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,476 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

pad199207 wrote: »
    Keep an eye around the North of Biscay

Indeed, a noisy start to the day tomorrow possible in parts of the east.

hirlamuk-1-19-0.png?28-17

• Advertisement

Indeed, a noisy start to the day tomorrow possible in the east.

I Expect that to correct eastward in the morning with the focus closer to the east coast in the wake of the earlier fronts momentum, let's see

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

That was some storm today. Interesting that the ECM predicted a big storm which happened but did not get the track or exact location right. Predicted timing was quite good. AROME got the track of the precipitation right but underestimated the intensity. Checked Met Eireann rainfall prediction charts last night and they were very similar to the AROME.

Cloud top height at 13.30

uwbM514.png

uwpFmEr.png

bWAWWFD.gif

Nqpz0NF.png

7PAU6dX.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭Storm 10

How can there be so much lightning activity in that storm it's still as intense as ever off the North West Coast what is feeding all that lightning .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

Looks like things are about to kick off in Biscay. Good bit of convection has begun recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

How can there be so much lightning activity in that storm it's still as intense as ever off the North West Coast what is feeding all that lightning .

Huge convection and lots of ice in the cloud

• Advertisement

If that had hit any populated area there would have been a lot of buildings damaged by lightning, I have never seen anything like it and probably never will again

It was a mini version of 1985

Record high 850 temps and a cold Atlantic

A streamer is running north from Malin Head / Lough Swilly. It has produced some sparks, albeit well of the coast

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

If that had hit any populated area there would have been a lot of buildings damaged by lightning, I have never seen anything like it and probably never will again

There're storms as intense as that on the continent almost daily at this time of year, rare to see one so close by but the storm itself was nothing unusual

Some thundery looking skies here all evening with a lot of wavy instability in the cloud base but nothing much happening

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

ECM showing a good chance of thunderstorms from early, perhaps around 6am in the S to SE ( more the SE ) and spreading up towards the E into the early afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

ECM showing a good chance of thunderstorms from early, perhaps around 6am in the S to SE ( more the SE ) and spreading up towards the E into the early afternoon.
    The ecm has been woeful with ppn charts all week. In contrast the gfs has been doing very well

GFS 18z has the plume right up the east coast in the latter 1/3 of the night.

Nothing particularly heavy precip wise but still the potential for elevated cells.

Hirlam showing more intense precipitation potential.

Any chance of Thunder in the West tomorrow

They'll speak about the storm approaching the, eh, Faroe Island's for decades to come :troll:

https://en.sat24.com/en

• Advertisement

Sferics just southwest of Cornwall now in the plume.

Good sign of potential.

https://en.sat24.com/en/gb/infraPolair

Just saw lightning in it on sat24, not very active but here's hoping.

Yup, as expected it's kicking off - headed for southeast

https://en.sat24.com/en/gb/infraPolair

This is active now - lid being removed from the cloud tops and towers going up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Sods law says one of three things will happen.

1. It fires over the Irish Sea
    2. It fires west of Dublin. Good for Kildare bad for D6/D6w parts of Dublin
    3. It goes mental over Wicklow, hits the mountains and goes pop and we just get rain.

I would love, direct overhead thunder in D6 but its has not happened in years. (Last strike within 1km of my home was in 2008!!)

Estimated time of Boardsies being woken up in coastal Waterford, Wexford with a "wtf was that!?" - 5:15

Looks like Hirlam was spot on.

Cloud tops shooting up. Could be some localised flooding issues in the next few hours.

Don’t ya know it will all die a death the minute it hits land :(

pad199207 wrote: »
    Don’t ya know it will all die a death the minute it hits land :(

It won't ;)

• Advertisement

Getting more active by the hour, just hope it give something to Carlow before I have to head to bed around 10 Am and hope it doesn't decide to P1ss me off by heading more east or west lol. Or I hope I don't miss it by the time I get home lol.

Advertisement