Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : 2019 and Winter 2020

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

pad199207 wrote: »
    Oh momma

5-F43-AA30-A415-4-F29-A7-F2-32-D90-D0-D7090.png

That line is the 12 mile fishing exclusion zone as a point of reference
    So all those strikes near that line should be audible at the coast and visible at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 18,111 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Christ there's some amount of strikes showing up out of that cell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Just herd a rattle of thunder

• Registered Users Posts: 7,118 ✭✭✭pad199207

Those around Clifden/Inishboffin areas could be hearing thunder from new cell firing

• Registered Users Posts: 23,423 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Lightning strikes :eek:
    JZHXqW8.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Holy moly thank God that missed us

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

That cell off Galway is one bad tempered yoke. Had that gone overland it would've caused big problems

• Registered Users Posts: 23,423 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Getting more intense
    yO3cMFH.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,072 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Is a rainfall warning warranted for Galway on here?

People are looking at individual cells and expressing relief that it has missed them so far.
    But the root cause of the cells is the cold front and as the cold front moves eastwards new cells will be popping up along that front. And going by where they seem to popping up along the front it looks like Galway will be likely hit later on at this point in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

People are looking at individual cells and expressing relief that it has missed them so far.
    But the root cause of the cells is the cold front and as the cold front moves eastwards new cells will be popping up along that front. And going by where they seem to popping up along the front it looks like Galway will be likely hit later on at this point in time.

Good point. I'm no met expert but I would expect things to lift off once the front starts to cross warm land

• Advertisement

Good point. I'm no met expert but I would expect things to lift off once the front starts to cross warm land

It is a tough one to decide on.

Just by looking at the radar loop those cells that were off the Aran islands seem to have been caused by orographic lifting from the Kerry mountains along the front?

The front is currently east of those now.

I note that there's some showers building north of Galway city around headford.

It kind of looks like that's all the action over for today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Say that's the end of our Thunder threat nothing showing anywhere now just that big storm heading away

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

T9LMedZ.gif

New Moon

second opportunity this week of experiencing major thunderstorms,safe to say we wont be seeing these setups for a very very long time again.

frustrating to see the thunderstorms dance around Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

They are moving /have moved away the other direction already

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Ah well....as yet another memorable week of thunderstorm busts draws to a close. :(

Last night after the news ME showed the front going from the West to the East bringing the storms to the West Coast yet they seem to have gone in the opposite direction, absolutely nothing happening in the Country at present. Am I right in this or did they get it wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Reversal

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Last night after the news ME showed the front going from the West to the East bringing the storms to the West Coast yet they seem to have gone in the opposite direction, absolutely nothing happening in the Country at present. Am I right in this or did they get it wrong

The direction of travel of the front is not the same as the direction of travel of the individual cells. In a cold front the wind direction can change sharply at the front but the cells are kicked off ahead of the front

• Advertisement

Met Eireann have backed away now from any thunderstorms this afternoon.

pad199207 wrote: »
    Met Eireann have backed away now from any thunderstorms this afternoon.

Got it way wrong for today

Wasn’t hugely wrong it’s just they were about 50 or so miles too west I suppose.

Next chance is for a new round of thunderstorms to develop overnight tonight in the Celtic sea and to move up over Eastern areas.

That will probably be a bust too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Rougies wrote: »
    Some level of disregard for legibility you have going on there, took me a while to decipher the question!

Yes they are false returns. Easy way to tell is have a look at https://en.sat24.com/en. If there are no clouds, there is no rain or thunderstorm.

Sorry sometimes I find it difficult to convey in words what my mind does be thinking.
    Thank you for the confirmation of the false return.

Jaysus tis like some are trying to pin something on Met Éireann, as if they need to be blamed for something!

They never said there WILL be thunderstorms, they said there could possibly be, which to be fair was very accurate as the atmospheric conditions nearby were correct, evidence of this are the massive cells that got going just a few kilometers west of land.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Jaysus tis like some are trying to pin something on Met Éireann, as if they need to be blamed for something!

They never said there WILL be thunderstorms, they said there could possibly be, which to be fair was very accurate as the atmospheric conditions nearby were correct, evidence of this are the massive cells that got going just a few kilometers west of land.

I agree, I can never understand why people are always looking for a opportunity to blame Met Eireann - they are more often than not correct and it’s their website I always go to for my forecasts, I don’t pay attention to accuweather or anything else.

It was thrilling watching the sky this morning, the clouds were rotating overhead, moving in various directions, you could tell there was something vicious not too far away.

14j55z6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

North Kildare, near the meath border and the sky is looking increasingly dark to my southwest. Additionally, looking at sat24, it looks like something convective is happening in that same area.... Mid to North Kildare. Possibly something being kicked off by the Wicklow mountains?

• Advertisement

Just a question for the experts here if that storm today had a direct hit on Galway would we have been looking at a Red Warning for rain/hail and lightning, there would bound to have been a lot of lightning damage looking at it this morning.

Advertisement