Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interdepartmental HEO Competition 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Ollie321

Where would I find a list of the numbers of HEO's similar to that of the mobility map which shows the number of CO/EO positions per location, or does such a list even exist?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Ollie321 wrote: »
    Where would I find a list of the numbers of HEO's similar to that of the mobility map which shows the number of CO/EO positions per location, or does such a list even exist?

I’ve looked for such a list from forsa with no success.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Anna1976

Did everyone get the text on Friday looking for EOI's for Meath?
    Does anyone have any more information on this, they must have exhausted the panel for Meath already? Great opportunity for anyone who didnt put that county down but is withing travelling distance to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Dilloghan

Has anyone been placed on a panel and been given a number but had to wait a period of time for a position? I've contacted PAS and was told they are doing demand led interviews for this competition and are not obliged to set up panels. Wondering are there panels for some counties and none for others or how are they doing it ? I do know people have sat interviews and got positions straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Read the thread and job application. No opportunities is some counties.
    Majority of positions are in Dublin.

• Advertisement

Dilloghan wrote: »
    Has anyone been placed on a panel and been given a number but had to wait a period of time for a position? I've contacted PAS and was told they are doing demand led interviews for this competition and are not obliged to set up panels. Wondering are there panels for some counties and none for others or how are they doing it ? I do know people have sat interviews and got positions straight away.

I think both these scenario's are happening, I know some people have been given an OOM after interview and are waiting to be placed and then for other counties people are only being called to interview as positions become available.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Paddy Houlihan

I have been offered a position in social welfare. I think it may be as a community welfare officer has anyone any idea what this role is like?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭trinib

I have been offered a position in social welfare. I think it may be as a community welfare officer has anyone any idea what this role is like?

In my current job I work closely with Cwo's.
    Both seem to like their job.
    It's very busy in our location, I'm sure it's the same countrywide.
    You will need to have a thick skin and enjoy working with the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Divisadero

One of the positives (depending on your perspective) is that you generally won't have any staff to manage. So no large section to worry about. If you are based in an Intreo (Dole Office) at any rate that is my experience of the role. You do your own work in the main. A mix of desk work and at a public window during clinic times. In some offices the clinic might only be two or three days a week. As already stated you will need a thick skin as you are the last resort for payment. People who don't qualify for a 'regular' payment or are awaiting a decision on same will come to you. You will deal with severe aggression at times and also with vulnerable people with real issues who may threaten suicide in extreme cases. You will be behind a screen and there is usually security too. But not every day is like that.

So it's not a job that suits everyone. Having said that most CWO's I knew with a couple of exceptions liked their work. Also all staff especially CO's in Intreo offices have to deal with the same issues for a lot less money and may also have Managers on their back. But as you are the last resort it is more likely that you will experience difficult customers. Also as a HEO you could be managing the whole Dole Office for the same salary so it's a matter of perspective. There are plenty of positives. There is also job satisfaction in helping some who are genuinely in a desperate situation.

Finally the comradery can be great working in Dole offices. I think the environment is a factor. Some Govt. offices as you may already know can be the complete opposite and the day can drag.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭EO2019

Divisadero wrote: »
    You will be behind a screen and there is usually security too. But not every day is like that.

Just a slight correction to this in that a lot of CWO’s have to do house calls. Obviously not with Covid-19 but in general the job can involve visiting vulnerable /old/sick people in their homes - assessing residences for emergency means payments related to kitting our houses etc you use your own vehicle and claim back mileage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Divisadero

EO2019 wrote: »
    Just a slight correction to this in that a lot of CWO’s have to do house calls. Obviously not with Covid-19 but in general the job can involve visiting vulnerable /old/sick people in their homes - assessing residences for emergency means payments related to kitting our houses etc you use your own vehicle and claim back mileage.

Interesting I was referring to Intreo Offices and where I worked the only staff making house visits were Social Welfare Inspectors. I'm not doubting what you're saying by the way. We had CWO's in another office perhaps they did that kind of work. We also had HEO's with a dual role. They would work mainly as Inspectors and do CWO work as well. Anyway I think it can vary from office to office.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭EO2019

My sister is a CWO in an intreo centre and both her and my friend (cwo in branch office) are required to do house visits (neither are cwo/inspectors though I do know others who have started the dual role).

Editing to add I’m not doubting it may be done differently in different areas but just for context. It also doesn’t bother either doing house calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭RWC15champions

Every CWO in the country would have to do house calls to a certain degree, they just don't all announce that they are heading out for an hour, or might do it on their way home from work.
    As mentioned already the role will suit some people but not all, thick skin and empathy are a must. Any CWO I know (over 20 in total) seem to enjoy the work.
    One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that some CWO's are located in Direct Provision centres as part of their role. That's a very tough gig by all accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭doc22

If you are coming up the ranks you'll know the score in a dole office(most HEOs come from within), inspectors/CWO/Intreo Manager is tough work, plenty want to move to case officer role and others are out on sick leave due to stress. Dual role is common practice as otherwise you're essentially doubling the work for a claim having two HEOs dealing with the same person, it's poor management to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Sinzo

The CWO role is a great job. It can be very challenging at times but is generally very rewarding. You will be quite independent in your daily work and you manage your own geographical area. If you get the chance you should take it.

Its challenging but rewarding and unlike many other HEO roles you dont have to manage staff. Managing staff can be a bit of a nightmare.

Best of luck...

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Paddy Houlihan

Thanks for all the feed back, I will be coming from a different government department so it will be all new but looking forward to the change.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Furby2020

Will there be a new HEO competition this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Forthebuzz

mur.c wrote: »
    Will there be a new HEO competition this year?

Id say not until early next year

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Connected99

Hi,

Has there been any movement at all on this recently?

Any interviews (Skype etc) being held?

Thanks!!

Hi,

Has there been any movement at all on this recently?

Any interviews (Skype etc) being held?

Thanks!!

I was placed number 16 for Kildare and am being placed on the 7th of Sept.

• Advertisement

Anna1976 wrote: »
    I was placed number 16 for Kildare and am being placed on the 7th of Sept.

Thanks...

I'm waiting for Clare but no interviews have ever taken place.. No demand apparently for the HEO grade...
    The very best of luck in your new Job!!

Forthebuzz wrote: »
    Id say not until early next year

Will the end date of this panel be extended I wonder?
    Think March or April 2021 is current closing date...

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭BMHOPE

Thanks...

I'm waiting for Clare but no interviews have ever taken place.. No demand apparently for the HEO grade...
    The very best of luck in your new Job!!

Are you down for Limerick too? Seems to be a bit of movement on that one.

BMHOPE wrote: »
    Are you down for Limerick too? Seems to be a bit of movement on that one.

Nope Co Clare was the only county I selected at the time!! :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 42 rusty1983

Has anyone been called for an interview since March?

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭De Danann

Can anyone who got placed so far tell me how much the take home pay is monthly please?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭HannahR31

De Danann wrote: »
    Can anyone who got placed so far tell me how much the take home pay is monthly please?

(1,326 and some change a fortnight)

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭De Danann

HannahR31 wrote: »

(1,326 and some change a fortnight)

Thanks Hannah!

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭TrishaK

Has this competition come to a complete standstill?? Has anyone been called for Leitrim or Sligo? If so what was your oom?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

standstill for me.. loosing hope at this stage.

Advertisement