Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion Discussion, Part the Fourth

Options
1909192939496»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,979 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Because the RCC runs the politicians as always. Why has the Tuam forensic investigation not happened? Why are the various fines and penalties not been collected for the Magdalene laundries. All point to one thing.

Good for TD Smith to rake Harris over the coals a bit. Still, I'm not encouraged anything will change, I don't think there's a groundswell for protest about it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

In Italy, anti-abortion activists are moving into abortion clinics, not away from them:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/apr/16/italy-passes-measures-to-allow-anti-abortion-activists-to-enter-abortion-clinics

Arizona again blocks a vote on repealing the 1864 law. Second time. Just keep hitting yourselves in the head, GOP.

https://www.meidastouch.com/news/arizona-house-republicans-again-refuse-to-take-up-repeal-of-1864-abortion-ban

• Registered Users Posts: 33,938 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Some good news which I hadn't seen until now - Poland

12 Apr 2024
    17.08 CEST
    Summary of the day

The Polish parliament considered proposals on loosening the country’s near total ban on abortion.

The MPs looked at four bills: Two are aimed at legalising abortion up to the 12th week of pregnancy and another is focused on decriminalisation. The fourth seeks a return to strict 1993 laws.

The parliament voted on Friday afternoon to send all four bills to a special committee for consideration, despite differences of opinion within the ruling coalition.

The speaker of the Polish parliament, Szymon Hołownia, said his party backed the bills “out of respect for democracy and concern for the durability of the coalition.”
    Civil society groups and some MPs celebrated the move.

Miko Czerwiński, head of campaigns at Amnesty International Poland, said that “Poland’s parliament has taken a significant step towards ending Poland’s cruel and draconian restrictions on access to abortion.”

The Center for Reproductive Rights in Europe said that “this is an important first step towards aligning the law with the majority of European countries where abortion is legal on request.”

The president of the Polish Bishops’ Conference, the archbishop Tadeusz Wojda, urged Poles “to make this Sunday a day of special prayer in defence of the unborn.”

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,020 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

There is a growing reluctance within the Coalition, however, around making further changes, with one senior source saying it is hard to envisage any major change prior to the general election. Another Government source said they were not sure how much appetite there is for legislative change.

I wonder is this mindset part of the fallout from the referedum defeats. Whatever, I think it would be a big OG not to at least scrap the three-day waiting period, given the apparently overwhelming consensus around that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,938 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The funny thing is, I don't have any expectation SF would change it either - once they get into government the pressure on them to be socially "radical" 🙄 is off, and they still have a sizeable catholic conservative rump especially up north.

Meanwhile - the ASN don't exactly beat around the bush do they? 😁

https://www.asn.org.uk/

Thank you for funding abortions! 

👍️

If I still cared, I could use that as a means of proving to my local diocese I'm no longer a catholic in good standing 😛

Post edited by Hotblack Desiato on

Life ain't always empty.

Arizona finally passes a repeal of their ,1864 ban. Not quite repealed yet. https://edition.cnn.com/2024/04/24/politics/arizona-house-abortion-law/index.html

Advertisement