Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cupra Born

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭CoBo55

You need proper winter tyres, all season yokes are useless and are very expensive and look terrible and and and.... Just get proper winter tyres especially if you're living in what you've just described.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Eleusis

Not quite that simple. Cause I don't need that much more grip. I do t need to fly around at speed. Main goal is to make sure I make it up a few hills. Also it's only really that icy a handful of mornings a year. So seems extreme to add winter tyres that wear fast in dry. That's why I thought a happy medium was all weather when first ice of the year and switch them out maybe mid Feb as we are unlikely to get bad ice after that. I think winter tyres are for harsher climates.

Maybe find 2 steel wheels and a pair of part worn winter tyres put them by for next year. Proper winter tyres are fantastic they make a huge difference.

If you need to get to work that week, yes. Better to be looking at them than looking for them😊 2 wheels and tyres from a breakers would be cheaper than sliding along the ditch.

Is it that easy to get steel wheels from a breaker. What other cars wheels fit a Cupra born?

• Advertisement

I haven't actually measured them but I'm sure VAG haven't gone to the bother of making a bespoke wheel for the Born I'd wager another car in the Volkswagen group has the same centre bore and stud pattern.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I believe Germany have a law where you need Winter tyres for a certain period of the year, it's even an option on the VW configurator.

Shouldn't be too had to get spare VW size wheels. At the end of the day if you definitely can't take a detour and need to take a certain road then it seems like your only choice.

The app keeps telling me the car is in offline mode which it isn't, anyone else getting this error? The tronity app is working perfectly, in fact the Cupra app is showing the correct battery percentage etc but with this annoying bar stating the car is in offline mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Ha shappened from time to time, normally corrects itself after a short time. I dont think I have had it since the software update a few months ago mind you.

Thanks for replying, no different to the Skoda app so☺️. The nicer weather has seen a nice improvement in battery usage, all good 😉

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭joe1303l

eBay.de is often a good source for used winter wheels with tyres. A set would get you through several winters if you only have them on for 3 months a year. https://www.ebay.de/itm/364714419990

I think he was just trying to be a smart guy, I wouldn't bother doing searches on his behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Finally got to take a test drive in one of these. Lovely cars, price comes in at €40k with metallic paint and 20" wheels.

A slight worry is the range reduction in winter time, the dealer advising not to charge the battery above 80% to maintain it's health, the AC reducing range by 50km and finally the larger wheels also reducing range. Are all these normal or do they just not want to sell the car?

Thats the same for any EV. Charge to 100% when you need it. I do every week and I havent seen any ill effects, range is just as good as the day I bought it. Showing 176km done since charging on Friday, 156 kms left which is 332kms. Will last until this Friday before charging again.

I have 30k kms on a Born over 18 months and 2 winters and its averaging 16kwh per 100kms, the range is always sufficient for me anyway. I wouldnt worry about the 20" wheels as regards effect on range, I'd worry about them more from a comfort point of view.

Range is about 250 at its very worst, 400 at its very best, nearly always somewhere 300 to 350 from a full charge. When its low you charge it, thats a fact of life with EVs. You plug it in at home and forget about it or plug it in in public and occupy yourself for however long it takes, its not a massive effort to charge that some people make out.

Post of the year. I genuinely don't know the answer to that bloody annoying question, what range has it got😡😡😡. I just plug it in when it's needed. My LTA wouldn't be as good as yours, I'm showing 17.

I think mine is 17.6😉. We're like the lads in Jaws😆

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Mr Q

I just seen the details of the Born VZ coming later this year. 322bhp and 545NM RWD.

Does this mean a general facelift for all Born models is coming at the same time?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Izzy77

It's fab! It's got a nice Fr type badge on the back and the green colour is gorgeous. Wonder what price range it will come in at 🫣

• Advertisement

I'd be slightly interested in the VZ if it was 58kWh. Don't want the cost or weight of an 80kWh battery in a hatchback. Can already feel the weight of the 58kWh pack when pushing it in the corners.

Then again it would also need to be sub €50k and this would be a good excuse for them to up prices again.

EVs are more efficient at higher power, I'd say range with a 58kWh wouldn't be much worse off than the current 204hp.

Post edited by DaveyDave on

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Mr Q

I would be similar, much more interested if they made a 58kWh version.

Based on the new ID.4 I think the range would increase with the new motor, assuming wheel/tyre sizes stayed the same.

Having issues where the car keeps changing the routine to charge immediately even though I have it set to charge at preferred times. Costing me a fortune cause it's not charging during the cheap ev night rates.

At my wits end with it cause it just does what ever it wants. Tried setting in cupra app and in car. Anyone had this issue that know how to solve?

What's actually happening? I'm assuming you know it's location based, with mine I always have to check that charge immediately isn't showing on the screen when I'm getting out of the car at home, if it is just tap the screen and the option to select charge at preferred times will be below it, select it. Annoyingly it keeps defaulting to charge immediately.

Yea the problem is it defaults to charge immediately. Stupidly it means you have to get back into the car to change it or open the slow app

That's what I said, it's just a matter of two taps.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Same for my wife. Keeps defaulting to charge immediately but a quick few taps before leaving sorts it. Still, shouldn't be happening.

Broke the feckin tabs on the cabin filter cover trying to get it off. You pull or squeeze something on the side and slide it off but there's two tabs on the bottom I was holding one at a time and came off with much effort. So if you're inspecting your cabin filter, be careful!

Seems like it should still stay in place ok, might try wedge a sticky pad in there to keep it secure.

Advertisement