Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cupra Born

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Can you clarify exactly what setting you mean?

In the "CLIMA" screen there is the "Air-conditioning" on/off toggle. There is also a button labeled "A/C".

Have both on all the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

"Air-conditioning" is just the main climate system/fans being turned on, not sure why they labelled it like this as this just means the system is on and heating or cooling the car depending on the temperature. A/C is the actual air conditioning, that will dehumidify the air, reduce moisture and keep you cool in Summer.

So yes drive with both on if you can. If you still get the musty smell and the system has been on the whole time then your A/C may not be working correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Dutch Roll

I agree on leaving the A/C on all the time. Makes for a nicer interior environment, you can notice the lack of the dehumidifying effect as soon as you turn it off.

I'm getting a warning "12V supply is currently restricted. Please drive carefully". Before I go trawling through VW ID3 fora, has anyone gotten this?

I should mention, I have tested my 12V battery and its fine.

• Advertisement

Now its saying "Error: 12V supply. Please visit workshop."

Often getting out of the car and leaving it for 10-15 minutes is enough for that to go away, if it persists it's off to the dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,849 ✭✭✭CoBo55

It isn't, it needs a new battery you were unlucky to get a dud. It's a well documented issue, VAG skimping on battery quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Eleusis

It's certainly confusing calling the climate control on/off button air conditioning. and then having a sub button inside called A/C. I had thought the A/C was simply when you need cooling that is colder than outside air. I'm a little shocked that this has to be on to dehumidify the cabin as this means you have to use the refridierent aspect just to get air quality control.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

A/C can be on with warm air too. Every car I've ever owned I have felt (and smelt) a difference between the dehumidifier effect of a/C and simply just running the fans.

• Advertisement

"I'm a little shocked that this has to be on to dehumidify the cabin as this means you have to use the refridierent aspect just to get air quality control."

That's what air conditioning is though, if you turn A/C off then you just have outside air coming through the fans. This is fine for the most part as fresh air will balance out the stale air you're breathing into the cabin but on wet days when you're getting into the car from the rain it usually isn't enough and the A/C is needed to combat the humidity. It's a sealed system though so it's not like you're breathing in refrigerant. Every car is like this.

You don't need A/C on but it uses so little battery there's no point turning it off. Let the climate sensors work in the background to control humidity.

The issue is a lot of EV owners drive with the climate systems turned off to prevent heat using the battery but this is completely unnecessary for daily driving, and ends up not bringing in fresh air from the fans resulting in humidity and foggy windows.

Uses 200-300 watts to have the AC on. I suppose if it's really hot it uses more?

It will use up to 1kW when it's above 20°C and it's working hard.

The car uses 200-300w idle, there's times when turning AC on doesn't change the consumption as it's not needed just monitoring humidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

This has been the way with pretty much every car manufactured in the last 25 years.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,567 ✭✭✭patmac

What actual range are people getting out of this in winter? Looking at a few posts in here I'm guessing just over 200?

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Mr Q

ID.3 here but same thing. Based on my 40km commute this morning I used 13% so over 300km in todays conditions, average speed in mid to high 60s.

Monday was wet, windy and colder, so the range was down to 240ish for me in those conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,849 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Mine absolutely savaged the battery on Monday too🥵 it was a horrible day for driving. Like yourself I say I'd get a sweaty 300km from 100% it would be a single figure finish though 🫣. For comfort, this time of year I usually expect 270km.

Currently getting around 330-350 although I've been driving with a very heavy foot the last week or so, heat up a little higher when the baby is in the car. Last Winter I saw around 290km at the lowest and that was with several journeys at 120kph with passengers, heat on full etc.

20" wheels, heat/AC on as needed, mix of 60-80-100kph roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

My climate has been on permanently since I got my EV and on auto as well.

On a 28 kwh Ioniq I only lose 10 kms having climate on.....

Granted the impact does vary from EV to EV.....

The Ioniq is my first EV so can't speak for others. But if you run the climate on auto the Ioniq is clever enough to realise that energy demand for using the heat drops over the course of a journey.

I suspect a lot of the "I turned on the heating and the range dropped by half" people are using the heating manually - ie as if no automatic climate control type feature.

Which on the Ioniq would drop the kms a bit.

Not sure if I drove over oil or my tyre grip has disappeared overnight. The car slid momentarily through a roundabout near my house last night as if it was a patch of black ice. It had a yellow box painted on it a while ago and in the wet with a tiny bit of speed you can tell the grip isn't there but nothing like last night.

Two different roundabouts today, the back end was getting loose as if I was doing it on purpose but without me trying. In the past, on a roundabout I know is a bad road surface in the wet with ESC Sport on I can get the back end a bit loose but I need to give it a bit of extra acceleration for that. This was without any input from me. I might actually take an alternate route home and drive through that particular roundabout without being silly and see if it keeps traction.

Either way I'll be giving Cupra a call! If the fronts are worn a fair bit I might keep all 4 service plan tyres for the front and get a good set on the rear out of pocket.

• Advertisement

My tyres were doing the same and I replaced them, but they were clearly worn.

2 particular spots, 1 near a roundabout and the other slowing up for a speed bump near work I always slid a bit. Doesn't happen anymore near work but I don't go near the roundabout it happened on anymore due to a new road opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Rexell1

Does anyone else find the wipers are a disaster in very heavy rain? They seem to be configured for LHD & not changed for our RHD. The movement pattern spashes the water across the drivers line of sight for a moment before the 'second' wiper clears it, usually happens on pasenger side - so less of a nuisance. I'm finding it makes the front right blindspot even more noticeable in bad weather.

Yep, they are set up for LHD. Same as the half a glovebox the rest taken up by the fuses.

Pretty common cost saving method unfortunately

Do they give you crap tyres on the service plan? If yes then good idea to get on the front and buy your own rears. Do they have a standard tyre they have in all cupra dealers does anyone know? Also can you choose all-weather over the summers? Those summers are lethal in ice.

I got same tyres as came on the car when changing under service plan. Bridgestone Potenza I think they're called

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭the perfect ten

The tyres on our 77kWh e-Boost are the Bridgestone Turanza Eco Edition.

The Continental EcoContact 6 are on my 20" and are the worst tyre I've driven on. They're also the cheapest tyre available in that size from the premium brands. I know VW give the option of Goodyear and Bridgestone on smaller sizes but not sure about 20" and not sure if Cupra give a choice.

I suppose even if they do give me a choice I think I'll still put my own on the rear, no point spending another 12+ months on eco tyres that can't put the power down in the wet.

You won't get a choice of all seasons though I don't believe they're very common here.

I'm a confident snow/ice driver, however a back wheel drive EV is on another level to what iv driven before on ice

My first school run after getting new Cupra born and was icy morning. One of the worst I have ever driven on. Road is tight for 2 cars to pass each other. Came to a windy hill section. Noticed a car coming down very very slowly. Waited for them to come down. I proceeded up then with caution. Road is glass, car stops going up back wheels now spinning instead. Now a transit at the top of the hill waiting for me. A jeep and another car behind me waiting also. I'm stuck on the hill. Only way is back now, which was a problem as it was moving back by itself. Even with foot on brake it's sliding back down the hill. Somehow made it back down even though I felt I had little control of where is was sliding. Jeep and car also reversing behind me to allow me to turn in laneway. Relief immeasurable that I hadn't damaged my car on 2nd day of having it

Lesson: Not driving in winter in Cupra born again on summer tyres. Especially living in countryside where roads rarely salted.

Bring on the all-weather tyre. I might just put them on the back and swap them during winter.

Tyres(Bridgestone turanza eco) are utter crap on ice. To not even be able to hold me on the road. It wasn't a steep hill either.

All seasons don't generally do well on ice either from what I hear from people in cold climates. You'd need proper Winter tyres from the likes of Nokian.

In theory the EV should be better, at least when driving in wet conditions or poor road surfaces I notice the Born is a lot more composed with the traction control and it feels less noticeable, sometimes I see the blinking light but don't feel anything. In my ICE you'd get the clunky wheel hop or it would really struggle to get power down. EVs seem to act quicker due to how software can control the motor. With the right tyres technically it should drive better than ICE, but being a heavy EV and RWD probably has its own challenges on icy roads.

• Advertisement
Advertisement