Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Oak before ash: in for a splash? An old saying with no known real link - however looking at vegetation and trees this Spring - the Oaks here seem to have put out leaves before the Ash trees

Here the Ash trees normally beat the Oak by a good margin as Oak is known to be more temperature sensitive. Around here at least this year's spring temperatures have meant the Oaks have started to put on leaf ahead of the ash trees. 

That said the last storm did a lot of damage to young leaves emerging a couple of weeks ago with the Horse Chestnut leaves suffering wind burn and the apple blossom getting a fair hammering.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭pauldry

I see Markree had 7mm of rain yesterday.

Sligo town had trace.

Think theres rain in the air today though after sunny morning the 1.5mm monthly total may increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

a lovely warm sunny morning in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Lovely morning. I watched the clouds climbing up the sides of the mountains before 6 am. The roof is ticking now as the sun is out. ... My seedlings are finally growing.. Bliss! west mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Only 1.5mm of rain here this month so far:

v6vyrNm.png

If today's building showers miss me today then it'll stay on this figure for another good while yet.

Gonzo wrote: »
    May is looking rather grim compared to last year, certainly very different to the May we had last year.

Clearly you have drawn the short straw with this month, but it has been very dry and quite warm (warmer than was forecast certainly) and pretty sunny over here in the west for most of this May so far.

New Moon

• Advertisement

Well i can confirm without a shadow of doubt that winter is over... Early today I found myself surrounded by a cloud of MIDGES and have several bites to show for it. The island is notorious for them so we pray for a breeze

But a lovely afternoon now..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Graces7 wrote: »
    Well i can confirm without a shadow of doubt that winter is over... Early today I found myself surrounded by a cloud of MIDGES and have several bites to show for it. The island is notorious for them so we pray for a breeze

But a lovely afternoon now..

The worst place in this country for me with midges was Achill Island. Was running for the safety of the car they were that bad.
    I presume achill isn’t too far from you Grace.

worst place I ever rented in Ireland was Glenamoy. I suspected the worst when I opened the bathroom cupboard and it was full of repellent.. But my old Northern Isle home was bad too; I saw grown men run inside and the sheep went demented

Donegal was bad too though... Here at least we get very few totally calm days

A sweet mild breeze out here now so no midges. I was out very early and stopped to take a photo on my NEW CAMERA!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Bucketing hail on the N7 near Rathcoole

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Artane2002

I'm luckily sandwiched between the two bands of showers here in Dublin 5, some weak sunshine getting through the clouds at the moment but it was a very nice day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Another horrible cold wet day in Letterkenny, pouring down hailstones at the moment...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

still cold here in Meath, the past week has felt more like February rather than May with temperatures rarely making it above 9C. Some very heavy showers earlier on in the afternoon.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Great day here near Tralee. Stunning sunshine and blue skies dotted with clouds , some quite big Cumulus but staying dry for the most part. Only rainfall was some heavy showers around 06.00 giving a needed 2.4mm . Again a fantastic evening if somewhat cool at 8.9C now after getting up to a very modest 13.6C today.

Short time ago , Ardfert Cathedral

AOtLqek.jpg?1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

A gorgeous day with high of 17 turned cold now massive hail shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Lashing rain here in my area of meath for the last hour or so, doesnt look much on the radar but its been fairly heavy

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

over 22mm of rain so far this month, most of that has fallen over past few days and doesn't include today's downpours. The next few days look dry and a welcome relief from the rain.

Great day here near Tralee. Stunning sunshine and blue skies dotted with clouds , some quite big Cumulus but staying dry for the most part. Only rainfall was some heavy showers around 06.00 giving a needed 2.4mm . Again a fantastic evening if somewhat cool at 8.9C now after getting up to a very modest 13.6C today.

Short time ago , Ardfert Cathedral

AOtLqek.jpg?1

Lovely photo of a place I loved! Thank you.

Chilly in the extreme and just now a ( much needed) heavy shower. Yesterday "afterevening" was lovely, warm, sunny .... Maybe today will warm up later..

west mayo offshore

Another beautiful sunrise this morning. Have been blessed the last few months to see a lovely sunrise a few times a week.
    This weekend supposed to be nice, last weekend was nice, Easter weekend was nice. Not a bad Spring in my book :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Dull and cloudy here really hoping we get some sun and warmth today. Be nice to go outdoors without a jacket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭pauldry

A lot of "isolated" showers moving towards Northwest coast on satellite.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Another great start to the day in Castlebar with good sunshine.its been a great run of weather here for the past few weeks, however its cool,currently 9 degrees in a light northerly.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Absolutely gorgeous in easy Galway
    Not as cool as expected
    Great run of weather especially at weekends which is better again

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Overcast morning in Dublin 16. 8.6c atm.

Dull and cloudy here really hoping we get some sun and warmth today. Be nice to go outdoors without a jacket.

I'm in Clonmel. Not accurate. Sun is shinning, I'm in my t-shirt since 8:30 .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,543 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Another beautiful sunrise this morning. Have been blessed the last few months to see a lovely sunrise a few times a week.
    This weekend supposed to be nice, last weekend was nice, Easter weekend was nice. Not a bad Spring in my book :)
    Yeah I think it has been a great spring,fair enough it was cool/cold at times but plenty of bright weather the majority of the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Yep cool out of the sun but it's been quite bright especially the weekends so not bad at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

I'm in Clonmel. Not accurate. Sun is shinning, I'm in my t-shirt since 8:30 .

The sun certainly was not shining at 8.50 this morning. Sun is in and out now and to me it’s def not T-shirt weather yet. Most people on the street now in jackets.

Glorious... Only word that will suffice... just.... glorious. west mayo offshore paradise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

A lovely bright start to the day in Castlebar, we have had really good levels of sunshine this week.

Advertisement