Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Still dry here but wind song echoing..chilly out so staying in.. west mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 23,453 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Meanwhile, from Saturday night things looking up. Weather really settling down and temperatures on the rise.

ECM1-120.GIF?08-12

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Notably cool (mean national max) temps for the first week of May over the last 45 years or so. LTA is between 13c and 14c.

1979: 9.1c :eek:
    1982: 10.2c
    1985: 11.3c
    1996: 11.3c
    1981: 11.4c.
    (Met Eireann)

Will be interesting to see what first week in May this year will bring in terms of cool max temps. My guess would be around 11.5c to 12.5c. Cool for the time of year for sure, but given that sun is very strong at this time of year, it is unlikely to feel unpleasent to any great extent when out and about. Healthy weather all round if you ask me.

Looks like I underestimated a little. Mean maxima for the first 7 days of May came in at 12.7c, which, believe it or not, is on par, or even a little higher than for the same period in 2015 and 2012.

This chart (from WeatherModels.com) shows the forecast ECM EN mean pressure pattern for May 19th. No sign of an Atlantic breakthrough but does look like parts of the Continent could be in for some serious convective weather during the 3rd week of May.

Gn2r1nd.png

One to keep an eye on perhaps.

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Awful day here 8 degrees and raining just starting to clear now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Papers all aboard the heatwave. Were set to sizzle seemingly

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

So 5 consecutive days in excess of 25 degrees then.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭acequion

Oh ffs this country really goes from one extreme to the other. I'd be happy with a nice bright but stable 20C ish at the moment. This going from 10 up to 20's and right back down again does my head in!

So 5 consecutive days in excess of 25 degrees then.....

I don't think that's the criteria for a heatwave in early May, but yeah, there talking balls anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭joeysoap

If I hear anymore about global warming....cold, damp and miserable in Dundalk today. It’s the sort of weather that makes you reach for the brochures.....and then we get a spell of hot weather, and people are going round saying ‘ Why would you go abroad when you have weather like this’

Or the red tops coming out with sh*te like ‘ hotter’ than the Algarve. Yeah right - one fcuking week out of 52.

Rant over.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I don't think that's the criteria for a heatwave in early May, but yeah, there talking balls anyway.

I did a record of Irish heatwaves last year using that arbitrary definition and 105 Irish stations' data. The only May heatwave I found using their respective data was 24-28 May 2012 at Glenties Hatchery, Co. Donegal when it had a 5-day mean max of 26.6c.

Other heatwaves in the record have all occurred during June to August {1947, 1955, 1957, 1972, 1976, 1983, 1989, 1995, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2013, 2017, 2018} with the exception of September 1959 at Kilkenny and September 1991 at Oak Park.

Data from Met Éireann.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Cold here in Arklow this evening
    Light rain/drizzle and ne gusting over 30kmh frequently

sryanbruen wrote: »
    I did a record of Irish heatwaves last year using that arbitrary definition and 105 Irish stations' data. The only May heatwave I found using their respective data was 24-28 May 2012 at Glenties Hatchery, Co. Donegal when it had a 5-day mean max of 26.6c.

Other heatwaves in the record have all occurred during June to August {1955, 1957, 1972, 1976, 1983, 1989, 1995, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2013, 2017, 2018} with the exception of September 1959 at Kilkenny and September 1991 at Oak Park.

Data from Met Éireann.

Is the criteria 5° above the average for 5 consecutive days or is it 5 days above 25°?

Could you have a heat wave in January say 5 days of 15°?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Very cool in the wind this evening, unpleasant for May.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭compsys

Is the criteria 5° above the average for 5 consecutive days or is it 5 days above 25°?

Could you have a heat wave in January say 5 days of 15°?

I always thought it was 5 days in a row where the temp is 5 degrees above average widely. So for May would be 5 days of around 19 or 20 degrees.

The July and Aug average max in Ireland is around 20 degrees, which is probably why people quote 25 a lot.

compsys wrote: »
    I always thought it was 5 days in a row where the temp is 5 degrees above average widely. So for May would be 5 days of around 19 or 20 degrees.

The July and Aug average max in Ireland is around 20 degrees, which is probably why people quote 25 a lot.

No, the arbitrary definition of 25c or more for 5 consecutive days was created by Met Éireann for historical comparisons.

The WMO definition is for 5 consecutive days with a temperature deviation of at least +5.0c above average.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

a truly miserable day in Meath today from one end to the other, non stop rain all day ranging from drizzle to light to heavy bursts and gusty winds at times, cold and dark all day. Today's high was 9C, a typical wet day in January. Fire lit since 5pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

A nice day in the west and the sun shone through a few times but a biting wind would chill you. I took the young fella for a spin on the bike and started with 3 layers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Rain is only really starting here in Kildare now. Been dry with just some drops blowing in the wind at around lunchtime.

Horribly cold. May my H*le

• Registered Users Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Gonzo wrote: »
    a truly miserable day in Meath today from one end to the other, non stop rain all day ranging from drizzle to light to heavy bursts and gusty winds at times, cold and dark all day. Today's high was 9C, a typical wet day in January. Fire lit since 5pm.

Your house must be like a sieve... Following this thread you've had the fire on almost every day. Must cost you a fortune

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

lawred2 wrote: »
    Your house must be like a sieve... Following this thread you've had the fire on almost every day. Must cost you a fortune

Probably not
    Lots of people have sheds full of timber not used in December and January
    Only 8c here max today and weve had the heating on every evening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Probably not
    Lots of people have sheds full of timber not used in December and January
    Only 8c here max today and weve had the heating on every evening

Ah yeah.. that's a fair point. Was a mild winter alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Very wet and miserable here now in Kildare. Rain is coming down heavy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Wet and cold both now and yesterday in Dublin 5. If you want me to be honest though, I was expecting yesterday to be more miserable than it was (like more rain and more windchill).

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

made an executive decision to estivate until the weather warms up. A bitter sneaky full on wind. west mayo offshore

and rain has just arrived.. shivers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Sunny morning in cork city with a bit of warmth, warmer then the last few days

Artane2002 wrote: »
    Wet and cold both now and yesterday in Dublin 5. If you want me to be honest though, I was expecting yesterday to be more miserable than it was (like more rain and more windchill).

Wind was a bit much to be honest but I was expecting worse for rain.

Awful morning too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

another cold, dank day, was dryish earlier but heavy rain now again, temperature 8C. This May has been absolutely miserable so far.

Today is as poor as it gets, atrocious day in Dublin with ongoing rain after rain.

Models aren’t inspiring either... definitely don’t want to see these kinds of charts very close to Summer with extensive northern blocking. I’m getting recollections of 2012. As I said previously, I’m very pessimistic about this coming Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Gonzo wrote: »

I knew we would pay for the February warmth. We normally would have stopped the fire by now too. I had to cut extra timber as a consequence of this weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭pauldry

May has been very dry in Sligo so far

1.5mm of rain on rain gauge thus far

Sunny but cold today and not a lot of rain for next 7 to 10 days either

Advertisement