Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Artane2002

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Today is as poor as it gets, atrocious day in Dublin with ongoing rain after rain.

Models aren’t inspiring either... definitely don’t want to see these kinds of charts very close to Summer with extensive northern blocking. I’m getting recollections of 2012. As I said previously, I’m very pessimistic about this coming Summer.

I was in the Wicklow Mountains near Bray and thought it was poor there but it's absolutely shocking in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Similar in Castlebar, just 2.8mm of rain

It's been a bright but cool day here today.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Extremely heavy rain here at the Grand Canal basin all day. A lot of roads flooded. Looking at the radar, it certainly doesnt look like its going to lift anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Sunny here since early this morning. Warm in the sunlight but very cold in the shade.

Ground conditions very dry.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

really nasty afternoon out there, loads of surface water, gutters overflowing. 2 very wet and cold days in a row now. May doesn't get worse than this.

Next weeks warmth has been downgraded alot over past 48 hours as well with temperatures more likely to reach 15C or 16C at best, instead of the low 20s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,278 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Today is as poor as it gets, atrocious day in Dublin with ongoing rain after rain.

Models aren’t inspiring either... definitely don’t want to see these kinds of charts very close to Summer with extensive northern blocking. I’m getting recollections of 2012. As I said previously, I’m very pessimistic about this coming Summer.

how do you not like posts on boards? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Bit of rain for the east while the south and west are dry for once :p

Sunny and partly cloudy here. Warm in the sun and cold enough in the shade.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,278 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Gonzo wrote: »
    really nasty afternoon out there, loads of surface water, gutters overflowing. 2 very wet and cold days in a row now. May doesn't get worse than this.

Next weeks warmth has been downgraded alot over past 48 hours as well with temperatures more likely to reach 15C or 16C at best, instead of the low 20s.

ah jaysus - I'm beginning to get seriously concerned now

maybe I'll put that parasol purchase on hold

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

The snow symbol just came up on the Davis. Could May get any worse

• Registered Users Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭acequion

Bit of rain for the east while the south and west are dry for once :p

Sunny and partly cloudy here. Warm in the sun and cold enough in the shade.

Just thinking the exact same. For once we here in the west are getting a bit of a break while it sounds shocking over east in Dublin. I won't be too smug about it though as I'll be in Dublin on Saturday and don't want a day like ye've had today!

Meanwhile, here in Tralee it's a nice bright calm day with good sunny spells, but cold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

Does anyone know if MTCranium posted a summer 2019 long range forecast yet?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

pad199207 wrote: »
    The snow symbol just came up on the Davis. Could May get any worse

Same with me...

Sun's out again in Dublin 16 after earlier rain.

Looks like some hefty showers now in the midlands moving slowly east.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Same with me...

Sun's out again in Dublin 16 after earlier rain.

Looks like some hefty showers now in the midlands moving slowly east.

sun out here too after a very wet few hours. That shower over the midlands looks fairly intense with some thunder. Showers could get going in the Dublin area again later with more heavy bursts. Tomorrow looks showery too, then finally a chance of some dryness from Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,512 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Improving now at last in Dublin with patches of blue sky. Felt like that train of rain showers would never end.

EDIT: Didn't last long, mean looking cloud just arrived.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

First rain of the day in Arklow now
    Nice day up until then
    It looks like a narrow slow moving shower
    Can see blue sky either side of it

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Looking like next weeks dry spell could be gone by next weekend. Have a trip planned with a few visitors around Ireland for weekend and a few days after, looking like it could be a complete washout if the charts verify. Would be very disappointed if that came off but would be typical of this country tbh. The weather is rarely good when you want it to be. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Looking like next weeks dry spell could be gone by next weekend. Have a trip planned with a few visitors around Ireland for weekend and a few days after, looking like it could be a complete washout if the charts verify. Would be very disappointed if that came off but would be typical of this country tbh. The weather is rarely good when you want it to be. :P

we could be back to a cold, unsettled north-easterly after next weeks slightly milder conditions have passed, but that's out in FI for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Thunder booming away suncroft Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Thunder in the distance here in Kildare

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Hold on a second didn’t someone say a heatwave for next week? Is this now gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭acequion

I sympathise. I rarely plan trips in Ireland any more, preferring to do them spur of the moment if good weather arrives. And if not I'd rather be at home when it's rainy and miserable. We have some stunning places to go in this country but you need the weather to enjoy them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,638 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

acequion wrote: »
    I sympathise. I rarely plan trips in Ireland any more, preferring to do them spur of the moment if good weather arrives. And if not I'd rather be at home when it's rainy and miserable. We have some stunning places to go in this country but you need the weather to enjoy them.

Not from my perspective, of course views look nicer in good weather, but i like scenic spots even it the weather isn't great. I can enjoy walking on a beach in wet weather. With proper clothing the weather need not always be an obstacle to enjoyment.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭YanSno

Looks like this current pattern will continue on further into june.Am still sticking with July being best month for nice warm settle weather where High Pressure will be close to our south-east. Winds will vary from south west to south east.

Hold on a second didn’t someone say a heatwave for next week? Is this now gone?

next week was originally looking quite warm, but this has been downgraded, we are now looking at low to mid teens in the east and possibly 17C or 18C in the west next week, then after that it looks like a return to the cold conditions similar to what we have now. May is looking rather grim compared to last year, certainly very different to the May we had last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,638 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

YanSno wrote: »
    Looks like this current pattern will continue on further into june.Am still sticking with July being best month for nice warm settle weather where High Pressure will be close to our south-east. Winds will vary from south west to south east.

I presume you look at global weather drivers to come to this conclusion?
    So why is it that you see July as being a settled month?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Gonzo wrote: »
    next week was originally looking quite warm, but this has been downgraded, we are now looking at low to mid teens in the east and possibly 17C or 18C in the west next week, then after that it looks like a return to the cold conditions similar to what we have now. May is looking rather grim compared to last year, certainly very different to the May we had last year.

Thanks Gonzo someone should tell the media this there’s a lot of people going around today talking about heatwaves etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭YanSno

I presume you look at global weather drivers to come to this conclusion?
    So why is it that you see July as being a settled month?

Long range model has been hinting for a fairly settled July for quite some time now.Long range as we know are very unreliable but i believe in the trend. Some see a repeat of 2012 meanwhile i see more likely it will turn out to be similar to 2013 where the month of May was quite cool IMT was around 10c followed by a warm settle July where average was around 17c and highs of 27c.
    Lets see how this pans out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Not just the east coast getting the bad weather at the moment, has been utterly miserable in Letterkenny all week as well. Non stop rain since I got up this morning and have had the heating on for hours every evening, had to order more oil yesterday..:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Spring....... May......Got a photo earlier from inlaws with white stuff on their hills in Wicklow. Hope that jet stream moves sooner than soon.

Advertisement