Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Borderlands 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Spear wrote: »
    Do you doubt that Epic have the infrastructure in place to handle the traffic needed for a few million people downloading 50GB each at once? Cos I definitely doubt it. The release is going to be a disaster.
    Actual content delivery doesn't appear to be the problem in this case. Judging by his follow up tweets to the one above, it looks like whatever solution they have in place for pre-loading isn't ready for use in a game of this scale yet. Certainly makes sense that they don't attempt it, but if cloud saves, which they began rolling out two weeks ago to certain titles, also suffer the same fate then they're going have yet another batch of bad press on their hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,894 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,078 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

gizmo wrote: »
    Actual content delivery doesn't appear to be the problem in this case. Judging by his follow up tweets to the one above, it looks like whatever solution they have in place for pre-loading isn't ready for use in a game of this scale yet. Certainly makes sense that they don't attempt it, but if cloud saves, which they began rolling out two weeks ago to certain titles, also suffer the same fate then they're going have yet another batch of bad press on their hands.

I did a bit of poking around.

They're using AWS and the Akamai CDN. Akamai should be able to handle the demands at least, albeit a bit unevenly given their server distribution model.

The rest depends on how much they put on AWS and how it's configured.

I suspect the account authentication is probably the weakest link in the chain.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Spear wrote: »
    I did a bit of poking around.

They're using AWS and the Akamai CDN. Akamai should be able to handle the demands at least, albeit a bit unevenly given their server distribution model.

The rest depends on how much they put on AWS and how it's configured.

I suspect the account authentication is probably the weakest link in the chain.
    Bingo. Major Fortnite updates have already put their infrastructure to the test on previous occasions so yea, I'd wager the potential bottleneck lies elsewhere. My money would have been on the encryption/decryption process but the account auth side of things would probably fall under the same category, especially since they're dealing with a non-F2P game in this instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,486 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Didn't see this anywhere, zane's surname is Flynt and he's a brother of Captain/Baron Flynt.

• Advertisement

Borderlands 3 to incorporate Denuvo. No surprise really and I expect most, if not all epic exclusives to have it in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 12,486 ✭✭✭✭Varik

People bitch that DRM doesn't work and will be cracked inevitably but it only needs to last a short while.

Not sure about the point here with such a online connected game.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,260 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Anyone up for co-op on PS4 when this comes out?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

Vicxas wrote: »
    Anyone up for co-op on PS4 when this comes out?

I would be, eventually.

Usually I play through on my own first, get used to it all and then go nuts with others.

• Advertisement

Challenge content revealed
    If you're the type of Vault Hunter who loves a challenge, Borderlands 3 lets you test your skills to score some top-tier loot in the crucibles of the all-new Proving Grounds and the returning Circle of Slaughter arenas. Gearbox creative director Paul Sage announced these Borderlands 3 features in conversation with Geoff Keighley during Gamescom's Opening Night Live show in Cologne, Germany, revealing how these rewarding and highly replayable missions work.

Throughout Borderlands 3's journey across the solar system, you'll find Circle of Slaughter arenas sponsored by the combustion-obsessed weapons manufacturers at Torgue. Once you've signed up for a Circle of Slaughter, it's do or die; if you're downed and no one's around to revive you, your run is officially over and you can say goodbye to a big payout. You'll be up against an army of enemies who attack in droves across five rounds with multiple waves each, blasting everything that moves until no bandit, 'bot, or hostile beast is left standing. All the while, your delicate ears will be graced by the expletive-filled hollering of Mister Torgue himself, who provides some extremely colorful commentary and doesn't tolerate failure. If you're hoping to impress Mister Torgue and his impossibly massive pecs, you can show off some flair by completing bonus objectives like racking up kills via melee attacks, ground slams, or—if you really want to pander to your target audience—grenades. EXPLOSIONS!

Later in the campaign, you may be worthy of taking part in the Proving Grounds: themed gauntlets guarded by an Eridian known as the Overseer who wishes to test your mettle on behalf of the mysterious "Masters." Proving Grounds are races against the clock, tasking you with blitzing your way through three areas filled with baddies and beating a boss in 30 minutes or less. If you complete your chosen Trial quickly and efficiently you’ll earn better bounties, and for even greater rewards you can complete bonus objectives like beating the Proving Grounds without dying, completing it with a certain amount of time remaining, or managing to find and eliminate an elusive Fallen Guardian who roams the area. The chest that awaits at the end of the Proving Grounds always contains valuable loot, but you'll need to display true mastery if you want the best rewards.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,240 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Damn I was so sure I was going to go with Amara, but Zane is looking too damn good. Was messing around with his skill tree and a Clone/Shield build could be both strong and tanky. My biggest worry for Amara is her skills seem like they may be fairly weak against bosses.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Is this still an epic exclusive? If so, for how long?

I'm currently chipping away at BL2 (never played them and dont know why), its great fun so far so can defo see me getting the third, im playing Zero, which i think is the hardest class to get through the game, typical :rolleyes::D:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,820 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

nix wrote: »

I'm currently chipping away at BL2 (never played them and dont know why), its great fun so far so can defo see me getting the third, im playing Zero, which i think is the hardest class to get through the game, typical :rolleyes::D:pac:

You can buy it on PS4 or Xbox on launch if you like.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,078 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Until April 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

He's a boss killer. Bore can be extremely strong in certain situations. Zero was the first character I played. He's a bit melee orientated for a sniper but I liked him. Preferred the Maya and Sal but they were my favourite 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

TitianGerm wrote: »
    You can buy it on PS4 or Xbox on launch if you like.

Yuck! joypads :P

I'm in no rush to get BL3, i might cave if a load of my friends get it, but if i go from BL2 to BL3 so soon ill likely burn out on it, so the 6 month will work out for the better for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Crossover with Fortnite until release, thats kinda smart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Earlier on this evening I got to level 50 in Borderlands 2 without glitches. Such a chore to get there. I played it before but never went for a second replay. The game really comes alive. Most of you would already know this but I never read or watched videos so never knew.

I was doing that raid boss Haderax and god damn him and his self healing. I can't kill him and he can't kill me so we were just going back and forth. I got so close but never finished him. I just need to learn where he goes when he is self healing. I know you just shoot him with the toothpick to stop it but damn he does be in front of you one minute then up real high and if you miss he comes back with full health.

I am watching videos also of people playing Borderlands 2 and they have amazing weapons and shields they must be modding to get them as they can kill bosses with a few clips of ammo. My toothpick is bottom of the barrel so is the rest of my equipment.

Earlier on this evening I got to level 50 in Borderlands 2 without glitches. Such a chore to get there. I played it before but never went for a second replay. The game really comes alive. Most of you would already know this but I never read or watched videos so never knew.

I was doing that raid boss Haderax and god damn him and his self healing. I can't kill him and he can't kill me so we were just going back and forth. I got so close but never finished him. I just need to learn where he goes when he is self healing. I know you just shoot him with the toothpick to stop it but damn he does be in front of you one minute then up real high and if you miss he comes back with full health.

I am watching videos also of people playing Borderlands 2 and they have amazing weapons and shields they must be modding to get them as they can kill bosses with a few clips of ammo. My toothpick is bottom of the barrel so is the rest of my equipment.

I think any elemental damage stops Haderax from healing. Even just slag I think.

As for amazing weapons and shields and being able to kill bosses with a few clips, most of the time it's not mods, it's just builds using key skills and certain weapons which can just shred enemies, or in some cases exploiting bugs in the game. For example Sal has a skill called Money Shot, which causes the last bullet in a magazine to do way more damage. But there are weapons you can use to really ramp it up even beyond that, and add in a class mod which gives you 10 or 11 points on Money Shot and it can destroy almost anything. Likewise Zero has Bore which can do huge damage to some bosses with the right weapon.

The right build and weapons can increase your damage immensely, and especially if you go through Ultimate Vault Hunter Mode and level up enough for more skill points and better weapons. It's hard as f*ck though. Slag is an absolute necessity for the most part.

Reviews are mixed to say the least

The VG247 review – no
    USG – 4/5
    Polygon – third time’s a chore
    Destructoid – 9/10
    PC Gamer – 63
    Game Informer – 8/10
    ShackNews – 9/10

• Registered Users Posts: 55,453 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Sounds like if you love B1/B2, you'll love this too.

Good enough for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Why is there so much diversity in the scores? It's like looking at the user reviews in metacritic.
    I've seen enough online not to be worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,820 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Why is there so much diversity in the scores? It's like looking at the user reviews in metacritic.
    I've seen enough online not to be worried.

I think you'll see a lot more people complaining about this one because everyone is afraid to offend someone so the jokes will probably cause outrage.

Mr E wrote: »
    Sounds like if you love B1/B2, you'll love this too.

Good enough for me.

Yeah it almost seems like it doesn't quite hit the same heights as BL2, but it's better than TPS and with some QoL improvements. That'll do me anyway.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    I think you'll see a lot more people complaining about this one because everyone is afraid to offend someone so the jokes will probably cause outrage.

With Polygon yes they are like that, PCG are normally game 1st, outrage second.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,654 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Anyone buying this digitally?

Advertisement