Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claire Byrne show. Her name was Clodagh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

Statement from Department of Ed being read on Claire Byrne just now.

Edit: basically just urging parents who have any child protection concerns to contact TUSLA.

Jaysus, how would parents know if the vice principal was **** off on the premises?????

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

That’s something I hadn’t heard of before now. Have you any references/links. Thanks.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/victims_of_crime/victims_and_compensation.html
    What does the scheme of compensation cover?
    The scheme pays compensation for expenses and losses suffered

As a direct result of a violent crime or
    While helping (or trying to help) to prevent a crime or save a human life.
    Who can claim compensation?
    The injured person (the victim) or, if that person has died, their immediate family can claim compensation under the scheme.

Exceptions whereby you cannot claim on the scheme-
    Exceptions to the scheme
    No compensation will be paid:

If the loss you suffer is less than €63.49
    If you and the offender were living together as part of the same household when you suffered the injury
    If your injury is the result of a traffic offence, unless the Tribunal decides that there was a deliberate attempt to run you down
    If you do not give reasonable assistance to the Tribunal

So if a randomer murders a family member the surviving family can claim compensation under the crimnal fatal injuries scheme. But if you are living with the murderer then the surviving family are excluded from the scheme. As said typical payouts are circa €50,000 in the event of a murder which is the same as the debts the Coll & Connolly family have incurred since the death of Clodagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

Muahahaha wrote: »
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/victims_of_crime/victims_and_compensation.html

Exceptions whereby you cannot claim on the scheme-

So if a randomer murders a family member the surviving family can claim compensation under the crimnal fatal injuries scheme. But if you are living with the murderer then the surviving family are excluded from the scheme.

That's more of the sh*te that domestic murders are somehow lesser when actually they're just as bad and often way worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

BBFAN wrote: »
    Jaysus, how would parents know if the vice principal was **** off on the premises?????

It was just a generic statement really. Apart from sympathising with the family it didn’t read as being specific to this case tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

I didn’t watch the show but it’s time the Department of Education said something.

The pressure is on now, hopefully the Colls get answers soon, they are so dignified in their grief.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,875 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Mrsmum wrote: »
    That's more of the sh*te that domestic murders are somehow lesser when actually they're just as bad and often way worse.

Sounds like it alright. I wonder what the thinking was behind such an exclusion. Apart from the obvious that you mention.

One would imagine that DV charities would have been on to this anomaly pdq. But I may have missed something.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 408 ✭✭SoundsRight

The school WiFi would presumably have parental settings on it. Still, if he had an addiction he would have found ways round it.

Re the cross dressing, might be have discussed that topic with the pupils, to gauge what the reaction would be when his news broke?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Tomhammer

That’s something I hadn’t heard of before now. Have you any references/links. Thanks.

I got a check in the post unexpectedly after a family member was murdered

Was only in the hundreds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Balagan1 wrote: »
    We are all speculating!

But the issue of the 'enjoying' the killing is researchable.

An extract from his note, published by the Irish Daily Mirror, read: "All the good stuff we did I was really into it."But I think there was some sort of psychosis that made me enjoy that yet in the next moment I was the complete opposite.“I’m sorry for how I murdered them all but I simply had no other way."

How do we know the note is genuine, or just made up by the Daily Mirror - hardly a reputable source? The content sounds very tabloidy, and reflects badly on Hawe .... not what you would expect from a narcissistic controlling person. Either way we do know on top of everything else he tried to disinherit Clodagh's family ... what a pr1ck ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Tomhammer

I can say that Tusla may have avoided this catastrophe, that's how they work in these situations, they'd be looking closely at him and defusing the risk to his family.

Its not a definite for someone in that self -appointed bubble ,school and gaa etc.

They may have given him a soft landing ,even relocate and just his wife working.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

professore wrote: »
    How do we know the note is genuine, or just made up by the Daily Mirror - hardly a reputable source? The content sounds very tabloidy, and reflects badly on Hawe .... not what you would expect from a narcissistic controlling person. Either way we do know on top of everything else he tried to disinherit Clodagh's family ... what a pr1ck ....

There was a letter and an additional note left by Hawe for the family and which were found after the murders

Ms Hawe’s family only saw this suicide letter after 16 months.

They have referred to this letter and note and it has been mentioned in at least one of the interviews.  

It is interesting that although it is reported he died intestate, he took time to transfer money so it would go to his extended family and instructions that his brother was to have their car.

He comes across as a psychopathic control freak who wasn't prepared to risk his family leaving him under any circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/ciara-campbell-murder-gordon-molloy-14087439

At least the Colls dont have to suffer like this Mum and Hawe thankfully is dead and not whinging to get out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/ciara-campbell-murder-gordon-molloy-14087439

At least the Colls dont have to suffer like this Mum and Hawe thankfully is dead and not whinging to get out

That's truly awful. Can't believe I hadn't heard that case at all. He should he put away for ever more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

The 2 cars are still parked outside the house and the blinds down. I wonder if it'll be demolished?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 408 ✭✭SoundsRight

The 2 cars are still parked outside the house and the blinds down. I wonder if it'll be demolished?

The Dunne family's home in Wexford wasn't demolished, I believe. They were only renting though, perhaps the landlord couldn't afford to lose it. Might be different here given it's in the hands of the family. I'd bulldoze it. Wouldn't want any trace that that man ever existed.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,156 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I cant imagine the house will be demolished. the house where Joe O'reilly killed his wife Rachel was eventually sold.

I cant imagine the house will be demolished. the house where Joe O'reilly killed his wife Rachel was eventually sold.

The house in Firhouse was also sold where the mother killed two boys and herself . I presume the bank own some part of the houses so its not cut and dry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

The fact that the blinds are still down is incredibly chilling.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

As in the house hasn’t been touched at all since that awful day?

This different case, in the news today, just shows how difficult it is to answer the question "why" when it comes to violent attacks, attempted murder and murder - in this particular case, thankfully the victim didn't die, but was severely injured.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/laura-kenna-37-found-guilty-of-attempting-to-murder-woman-walking-home-from-work-37880802.html

So you have this, on behalf of the defence:

"A consultant psychiatrist engaged by the defence testified that the accused was suffering from a mental disorder at the time, and so was entitled to the special defence of not guilty by reason of insanity.

Dr Stephen Monks of the Central Mental Hospital (CMH) told the jury that she was suffering from schizoaffective disorder, a chronic mental illness related to schizophrenia".

And this on behalf of the prosecution:

"However, a consultant psychiatrist engaged by the State disagreed. Professor Harry Kennedy, also of the CMH, testified that she was not delusional at the time, but carried out the attack in anger and out of a ‘sense of entitlement’; she told gardai she’d needed money.

Prof Kennedy said her attack would not come under the definition of insanity. He said that she possessed ‘callous’ and ‘unemotional’ personality traits and had the ability to ‘fabricate for her own interests’."

I'm just posting this to show the level of complexity and difficulty involved in answering the question "why did this happen?"- difficult enough to determine the mind of the person when they're still alive and able to stand trial- so much more difficult when the person is no longer around for some form of psychiatric assessment.

I hope the family get some form of answer. I think one of the few routes is maybe to have some form of consultation with an experienced Psychiatrist such as the people who were consulted in the above trial- maybe these people can at least start to explain to them, how someone "might" do such a thing- I know, not closure by any means but may provide some comfort.

• Advertisement

bigpink wrote: »
    As in the house hasn’t been touched at all since that awful day?

Possibly because of legalities surrounding probate or something. Who knows who can enter or what?

I wonder could JOR have benefitted from the sale. Strange also that the young sons appear to have been taken in by his parents. At least that is what I read somewhere, so open to correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Well maybe it's because you've lived in rural areas all your life that you can't see it.

I'm from Dublin but have lived in a rural area for the last four years, I've worked in another even smaller rural area for three years and all I ever here is about "how sound your man is", "he's from around here all his life, lovely family", "yeah but he's a lovely fella, mad into the GAA". and these are to describe the biggest scumbags I've ever met in my life.

You'd hear those clichés in any rural area, village, town or city in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

bubblypop wrote: »
    It's human nature to try to make sense of a tragedy like this.
    Clodaghs family are searching for an answer they will never get. They will never find out why he did it, because there isn't a reason why. There is no justification & no way to figure it out.
    So, yes they want details they assume are there that they don't have, they won't answer the question though.
    He committed unbelievably selfish, violent & heartbreaking murders, the only answer to 'why' is in his head.
    I feel terribly sorry for her family, & his, they lost everything too, I hope they are all receiving the counselling & help they need.

They might get some answers about the following
    1 what happened at the school
    2 what happened with the into
    3 Did the gardai investigate him being seen at the school after the murder

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

NIMAN wrote: »
    Why did AH move money between bank accounts AFTER he has murdered his family?

What was the purpose of that? Surely its all irrelevant at that point, when he knows he is about to kill himself?
    In order to make sure his fsmily got the money and not Clodaghs family!!!!!

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Candamir wrote: »
    No, I think it was just him being controlling to the very end. He even left instructions in the note he wrote about some of Clodagh’s jewellery that should go to her mother, and that his brother (I think) should get the car.
    As far as I’m aware, funeral costs will come out of a persons estate before any beneficiaries get anything.
    He may well have had issues with depression, but I fail to believe that he also didn’t have at least one personality disorder - Narcissistic Personality disorder being top of the list.

From what I can gather because Alan Hawe moved the money this then meant Clodaghs family had to pay funeral costs for Clodagh, Liam, Niall and Ryan.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

Unless a relative is a joint signature on the bank account of the person who died then the family would have to pay the funeral costs. The colls say they have debts of 50,000 to pay so presumably they paid for Clodagh and the boys costs. Whoever is executor of the estate if there is a will will then refund these costs once probate is granted. I think its been said that Hawe didnt make a will so not sure what happens here.

It must be terrible for the neighbours looking at that house and they cant move either, who would want to buy either house.

I think he only moved a couple of thousand euros from the joint account, it costs about six thousand euros per person in funeral costs and thats minimum cost, in Dublin anyway, maybe its different in rural places.

I'd rather sleep in hill house or Amityville than there. Surely you'd feel that living in such a tragic scene. imagine buying that gaff not knowing what happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Given the amount of time it will take to sort out estate would crowd funding not be an idea ?Even to cover some of the cost. Just a suggestion.
    I would expect the Indo paid them for the story. Given their costs I don't think anyone would have an issue with this.
    It's events like this that make me hope there is eternal life and judgment. Not eternity in hell but some punishment

Advertisement