Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wales v England

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

jr86 wrote: »
    No I'd say England the tournament winners would be number 1 in that scenario

Well, maybe Wales if they take the Slam? Good performances in final two games vital for our RWC preparation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,165 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Looks a bit like England shot their load v us and then v France.

Ireland going to Cardiff and winning will re-establish Ireland’s credentials as number 1 Northern Hemisphere team heading to Japan.

You could argue that nobody will really know who the No.1 NH team will be going to Japan. In theory, it will be Wales if they win the slam, but there's probably very little at all between the top 3 (which will make for a fascinating tournament).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,245 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Today’ shows how important a full back is in the modern kicking game. Williams was flawless all game.

In the modern game full stop. England got away with kicking through against Ireland and France because the full back line was weakened and indisciplined on both occasions. Today they couldn't exploit such a weakness and suddenly the kicking game was less of a weapon for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Hopefully Scotland put up a fight but unlikely against England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,972 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I knew that England team were riding their luck and good PR.
    Wales took a long time to get to grips with them and the game did teeter on a knife edge.
    Scotland could turn out and beat Wales. Not much between the teams so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

Amprodude wrote: »

LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

So... can Ireland still win this?

Wales have no BP, England have a lot, but got none this game. Wales are so far unbeaten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,599 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

They denied us a tbp, they could just as easily do the same to England

Wales took a long time to get to grips with them and the game did teeter on a knife edge.

LOL again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

is_that_so wrote: »
    Well, maybe Wales if they take the Slam? Good performances in final two games vital for our RWC preparation.

Oh 100% but they said if we beat Wales

• Advertisement

LOL again!

What are you doing all the 'LOLing' about with no sensible comment? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭almostover

You just knew after that filthy spiral touchfinder by Biggar after a blocked kick in the 22 that Wales would win!

What are you doing all the 'LOLing' about with no sensible comment? :confused:

do you honestly think Scotland can best that Welsh side?

Akrasia wrote: »
    They denied us a tbp, they could just as easily do the same to England

Big difference in Scotland home Vs away. They're decimated with injuries now. Annihilated by feckin France

England will stuff them. Could put up a 3 figure PD in last two matches

• Registered Users Posts: 9,584 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

No I'd say England the tournament winners would be number 1 in that scenario

Nah. Even if England lift the Championship the momentum would shift to Ireland as number 1 Northern Hemisphere side if they can beat Wales going to Japan. I’d imagine Ireland would still be ranked number 1 from the Northern Hemisphere if we were to beat Wales.

Still waiting for an intelligent response Frankie... ;)

Big difference in Scotland home Vs away. They're decimated with injuries now. Annihilated by feckin France

France were much better today than they were against England and Wales

• Administrators Posts: 54,091 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Honestly Scotland won't beat Wales. At this stage it would be a huge upset.

England, Ireland and Wales are much of a muchness. Scotland are someway off that standard.

Nah. Even if England lift the Championship the momentum would shift to Ireland as number 1 Northern Hemisphere side if they can beat Wales going to Japan. I’d imagine Ireland would still be ranked number 1 from the Northern Hemisphere if we were to beat Wales.

Wales are up to 3rd in the world following their victory against England leapfrogging the English

• Advertisement

Yes.
    At home, with something to prove - entirely possible.

England apparently were going to beat all before them after Paris - I was ridiculed for saying they still were not convincing. A one dimensional team today.
    France were written off after the Eng game and bounce back to a convincing win over Sco.

Anything is possible, there isn't that much between the top teams here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭swiwi_

There is always a little coterie of fans who think too far ahead. Make sure you beat France at home first.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,584 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

England will stuff no one now. Wales trounced them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,165 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Yes.

England apparently were going to beat all before them after Paris - I was ridiculed for saying they still were not convincing. A one dimensional team today.
    France were written off after the Eng game and bounce back to a convincing win over Sco.

They were found a bit today alright, possibly a bit flattered by the Irish and French wins (where everything went right for them).

England will stuff no one now. Wales trounced them.

Hahaha except Ireland and France in the last couple of weeks? :D

Talk about recency effect :rolleyes:

swiwi_ wrote: »
    There is always a little coterie of fans who think too far ahead. Make sure you beat France at home first.

100%

Remember how Wales would be no match after the French game to some?

• Advertisement

Strazdas wrote: »
    They were found a bit today alright, possibly a bit flattered by the Irish and French wins (where everything went right for them).

Absolutely flattered. But it didn't stop some going off on a victory romp.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Elliot Daly is not a fullback or at least he’s not good enough there. He loses too many up and unders when it counts.

Was chatting with a friend prior to this that I still wasn’t convinced by England. They are very one dimensional.

Lovely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Ha.ha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭mangobob

Honestly i cant understand the tendency some folks have to make sweeping generalisations and draw premature conclusions from one or two games. When Wales played against France, some people were talking about how sh*te they were and that they have no chance for the tournament after that performance. England have been impressive for the last two games, now suddenly they are overrated again because they lost today. Talk of them being stuffed and trounced is really OTT imo. The margin was 8 points and they had Wales on the rack a few times in that game but couldnt close the deal. The truth is there is nothing between the 3 of us.

I had Wales as dark horses for the tournament and they showed today how quickly they can raise their game when necessary. I always regarded them as the most "French" like team of the home nations. They are an excellent team who can be very inconsistent - winning the GS one year and be vying for the wooden spoon the next. Clubs performing terribly in Europe but their international team can tear it up. They can be very pedestrian but then suddenly turn it on and play some superlative rugby. Above all they are very much a confidence team - they are a different beast when they have their tails up. And they will have their tails up in a big way when we arrive.

• Advertisement

Yes.

Frankie not for the first time, i feel you are allowing your anti-English bias to cloud your already dodgy judgement.
    Did you even watch Scotland today.
    Scotland will 'compete' with Italy for the Wooden Spoon, and anyone that thinks otherwise knows nothing about rugby.

Frankie not for the first time, i feel you are allowing your anti-English bias to cloud your already dodgy judgement.
    Did you even watch Scotland today.
    Scotland will 'compete' with Italy for the Wooden Spoon, and anyone that thinks otherwise knows nothing about rugby.

What has predicting that Scotland might beat Wales got to do with an anti English bias? Did somebody mention intelligence here? :rolleyes:

mangobob wrote: »
    Honestly i cant understand the tendency some folks have to make sweeping generalisations and draw premature conclusions from one or two games. When Wales played against France, some people were talking about how sh*te they were and that they have no chance for the tournament after that performance. England have been impressive for the last two games, now suddenly they are overrated again because they lost today. Talk of them being stuffed and trounced is really OTT imo. The margin was 8 points and they had Wales on the rack a few times in that game but couldnt close the deal. The truth is there is nothing between the 3 of us.

I had Wales as dark horses for the tournament and they showed today how quickly they can raise their game when necessary. I always regarded them as the most "French" like team of the home nations. They are an excellent team who can be very inconsistent - winning the GS one year and be vying for the wooden spoon the next. Clubs performing terribly in Europe but their international team can tear it up. They can be very pedestrian but then suddenly turn it on and play some superlative rugby. Above all they are very much a confidence team - they are a different beast when they have their tails up. And they will have their tails up in a big way when we arrive.

Wales were far from convincing against Italy too. They lifted their game today and came up against a fairly lame English team.

No reason why Scotland can't do that to them, they have form for doing just that against us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭GDK_11

mangobob wrote: »

Honestly his post is putre common sense. The top 3 are very close on a purely neutral basis. Unfortunately there a few idiots who can’t put their hatred of England to one side and just focus on the game itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,814 ✭✭✭✭bilston

awec wrote: »
    Honestly Scotland won't beat Wales. At this stage it would be a huge upset.

England, Ireland and Wales are much of a muchness. Scotland are someway off that standard.

Scotland, once again, have been the let down of the tournament...albeit they were missing their two most important players today...three in fact if you include Barclay.

Looks a bit like England shot their load v us and then v France.

Ireland going to Cardiff and winning will re-establish Ireland’s credentials as number 1 Northern Hemisphere team heading to Japan.

And will all the rugby played after the Six Nations but before the RWC have any bearing on this?

Wales have this habit of coming from nowhere and win a Grand Slam. They would be down at the end of the table one year competing for the wooden spoon and next year they beat everyone in front of them and win grand slam.. They are so amazing how they do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,460 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Wales have this habit of coming from nowhere and win a Grand Slam. They would be down at the end of the table one year competing for the wooden spoon and next year they beat everyone in front of them and win grand slam.. They are so amazing how they do it.

12th consecutive win. A clean sweep in the Autumn.

Hardly from nowhere like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

England showed great skill and some great plays in that match - and actually could have won it easily, they lost it when their discipline broke down, same as we did when we played the opening match.

Delighted for wales, they battled hard and it payed off.

Steve wrote: »
    England showed great skill and some great plays in that match - and actually could have won it easily, they lost it when their discipline broke down, same as we did when we played the opening match.

Delighted for wales, they battled hard and it payed off.

I agree, Wales really should have been chasing a bigger lead. England just seemed to completely lose their way.

• Advertisement

lawred2 wrote: »
    12th consecutive win. A clean sweep in the Autumn.

Hardly from nowhere like.

You are missing my point.

You are missing my point.

I got your point.

It doesn't apply this year though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,814 ✭✭✭✭bilston

When Wales get their tails up they are very hard to stop. I always felt that beating France in Paris first up was key for them. Mind you at half time today I thought England were going to cruise home.

We've two really good tests coming up. A rejuvenated France and a Welsh team likely to be going for the GS in Cardiff. In theory we could have a championship to play for, but that would require England not to get 10 points from the two weakest sides at home. That said I still remember the 2005 game and remember being gutted about letting Wales win the GS at home against us. It's likely to be the exact same scenario in 3 weeks time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

did Cory Hill actually touch the line for the first welsh try?? i thought he came up short?

9471571.jpg?type=article-full

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

fryup wrote: »
    did Cory Hill actually touch the line for the first welsh try?? i thought he came up short?

Yes

fryup wrote: »

Yep

• Site Banned Posts: 20,686 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I got your point.

Hasn't applied in a long time. Wales have been very, very consistent since 04/05. It's in fact unusual for then to finish 4th or 5th,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Wales are a beaten team. They won't do nothing in the 2nd half and England will sail to victory.

Reading from the start, I let the first 2 comments go, but a third, I hope you are getting some grief later in this thread....

You Farrell lover..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Can and wanting are two different meanings

Keep talking

• Advertisement

I got your point.

We will have to wait and see.

Advertisement