Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Snymans are(n't) Forever

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,823 ✭✭✭✭phog

4 years, if that's true, it shows the value he is to a team.

Shame, we couldn't hold onto him

• Registered Users Posts: 17,018 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

First thing that struck me too. Might also suggest Toulon needed to really dig deep to get him to leave Ireland. They wanted their man and they got him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,049 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Contract length is a hard one to gauge without knowing the full contract details and other offers on the table for the player. For example, more years could mean a player being willing to accept less to reduce the risk to them.

Frisch is finally getting to go home to play in the top tier at 28 years old - an age when most people tend to want to start putting down roots. He could have easily taken less on a four year deal rather than getting more over two years and risking being on the move again in 2 years, especially with his form not being that great this year.

As a recent data point, Ross Molony, a back-up for most of his career, received a 3 year deal with Bath as a 29 year old. Generally accepted as a longer deal than he was going to get from Leinster but no one really pointed to the length as a sign that Bath had to dig exceptionally deep to get him.

The size of any transfer fee would be a lot more telling about how much they wanted him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭snotboogie

rumoured transfer fee is 300k and salary is 330k per year, double what he was on at Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,941 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Big loss for us, sad to see him go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭letowski

That would be quite a fee. As good a player Frisch has been for us, he hasn’t been as good this year compared to last. I imagine Tom Farrell will be signed as his replacement.
    Hopefully the province can produce a center of their own. The Pres centres that are representing the Irish underage teams look good prospects.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,018 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Hardly surprising that the midfield unit would regress a bit, losing a player of Fekitoa's quality, and bringing in a new player going through two seasons without a break.

Nonetheless, Nank has grown into a gem of a finding, and I'm sure that if Frisch did stay we'd see them really humming next season, with a well-earned rest for Nank, and a full pre-season training together.

Alas, not to be, it seems. Hopefully one of SOB or Farrell step up, but I do think a Frisch-Nank sophomore season would have been something to behold.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Tom Farrell if its true is a pretty massive downgrade from Frisch. I wonder if you'll be able to snag another centre with that 300k.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Taking 3 points when on offer is a very underrated tactic these days.

I am of the mind that you always take your 3 points. If Ireland did it last year, they would have reached a RWC Semi Final.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

There's some talk about Dan Kelly from Leicester being looked at. I know nothing about him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭jcon1913

FFS does anyone have an issue with this? We will be like the soccer Premiership in no time with this sort of money if these figures are right. Not that the ordinary punter can do anything about it.

Take the points. Yep, I'd usually agree but then when you score a try from the kick to the corner or two & go you're thinking "what do I know" 😂

Last year's SF, we got several opportunities to kick at goal, turned down a lot of them and failed to score from next play, which made the game a very tight game, after Leinster went ahead, they had an opportunity to kick for 3, they went to the corner and we turned them over and the DG was enough to win it. If they took the 3, would we have scored a try?

I think you have to trust the teams to make the correct decision without the benefit of hindsight but refusing some kicks at goal are more difficult to understand than others.

What's the issue?

The transfer fee? I think that's for buying out the contract.

The salary? If you look at the likes of Steve Thompson then they deserve every euro they earn, they've a very short career to plan for their families.

In saying that, I don't know if rugby can afford the salaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭letowski

Yeah I agree, Nankivell has been impressive and a good value signing. I think SOB and Nank could be a decent combo next season though.

Just for me, I think Nankivell is more of a 13 than a 12. It’s interesting that the Chiefs always played him at 13, while Munster and Tasman play him at 12. I think that because isn’t the biggest centre, he tends to use his feet more when carrying into contact off first phase and gets detached from his support. I think SOB at 12 and Nank to outside centre could unlock his talent more, as he has great feet and ball skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Stanley 1

Don't think Nanki has the speed to take an opposite OC on the outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭jcon1913

yeah ultimately it’s the fans that need to pay. That’s why they kiss their shirts- “buy the clobber guys “.

Anyway it’s irrelevant what I think about it- it’s gonna happen one way or another.

Personally I like to see local guys playing for their local club- connections between players and the fans. Maybe I’m expecting too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

The value of taking 3 points was evident this evening in Croke Park

I didn't see the match yet but I'd be shocked if Leinster didn't kick to the corner from a penalty and score a try from the lineout or score from a tap & go.

There are times when it's obvious that the 3 points are the correct option and then there are times when you back yourself to go for a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,589 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

those numbers seem extremely high but if they’re even in the ballpark, it puts to bed the idea that a token Ireland cap or a few training squad call ups could have kept him here.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

A token Irish cap would have made him more valuable to Toulon even. He'd be guaranteed not to be away in international camps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,675 ✭✭✭nerd69

Token irish cap here being very disrespectful of coarse wonder what signifiys a non token cap beyond jersey colour

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

They're generally green and counted in single digits.

I totally agree and just to be clear…

The repeated suggestion from Munster fans on this forum was that we should have given caps to Frisch (and Healy, Kleyn and Haley) purely for the purposes of keeping them at Munster.

I think giving a guy a cap when he has no place in the wider scheme of things is the textbook definition of token

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

Bullshit. The repeated calls from munster supporters were because we recognise how valuable Kleyn, Haley, Frisch and Healy have been to a province with something to actually show for their endeavours over the past few seasons.

it's not bullsh1t. Go back and look at the posts.

I understand a lot of people are probably a bit embarrassed about saying that Frisch was leaving because he hadn't been picked for Ireland, and if we want to pretend it didn't happen, that's fine, I'll play along, but don't call me a liar.

You all piled in on Farrell and it is now very apparent that the guy just wants to leave - and who could blame him? He'd be mad to stay - but he is leaving for his own reasons.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,262 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

It’s honestly bewildering to me that you could come out and say something as strong as this about Frisch:

no place in the wider scheme of things

considering, well… you know exactly what I’m going to say.

We don't need to re-litigate Kleyn; regular posters here will be well aware of that. But add the above on Frisch and your previously calling Ben Healy "absolutely sh1te". Quote unquote.

You're quick to accuse all Munster fans of "piling in on Farrell" while simultaneously happy to post stuff like the above. Where does that come on the spectrum of "piling in on / abuse"?

Indeed, something else for you to consider; where was JGP when he was Frisch's age? Or even Ben Healy's age??

I think there’s a cohort of Munster fans that are completely fed up of this kind of post on here. And I don't blame them. Munster fans, more than most, will be aware of the value these guys have to offer.

Frisch wanted to play for Ireland, if he got capped, I think it's fair to say his decision would be to stay at Munster.

It's easy make a decision to leave when one door closes and another one opens but it's unfair to ignore the fact that his reason to come to Ireland and to stay here was gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,049 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

What door was closed? Zero members of Irish management have said Frisch was never going to play for Ireland.

He is simply behind the guys in the current set up, and justifiably so. He chose another door, one he might see as an easier option, more money, or simply going home.

You're absolutely reaching to claim you know what his decision would be. Nothing in that interview paints a guy who would have been satisfied with a token Irish cap or two against tier two sides.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

At the figures being mentioned he was always going to leave. Even if he'd been capped he wouldn't have been anymore than a bit part player.

Munster were able to bring him over because he was IQ. That's not the same as it being the reason he made the move. Munster were a step up from Bristol.

• Advertisement

And that’s why he’s here. Refreshingly, Frisch makes no bones about it. One of his prime reasons in turning down the opportunity to extend his stay with Bristol Bears beyond a year and instead relocate to Munster was to fulfil his ambition to play for Ireland.

You can decide if you think he made the decision to move because it was a step up if you want but I mean, it's in the article that I linked above, he turned an opportunity to stay with Bristol to come to Ireland (Munster) to fulfil his ambition to play for Ireland.

Advertisement