Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Snymans are(n't) Forever

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Cateym

Get in!!! Two bonus point wins in SA!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Aye, what a trip south! 2 BP wins, can't do any better than that. Right time of the season too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭ersatz

what a great performance by Munster, ruined the Lions game start to finish. Savage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭letowski

10 point tour to South Africa. Can’t complain really.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,773 ✭✭✭✭phog

Great result from both games, before the tour I was hoping to get a win & a LBP but couldn't see which game we'd win. But we won both with BP wins.

Fair play to Rowntree, his team selections for this tour were spot on

Murray & Crowley excellent in both games as was Beirne, JOD & Kendellen.

Munster winning scrum penalties in SA is a thing of beauty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,011 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Munster Rugby.

All about dat D.

<Insert "your mother" joke here>

• Registered Users Posts: 8,487 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

i was hoping for 4 points. 10 is a remarkable result.

A handy week off next week and then head down for a run in over the last 3 games

I'm genuinely concerned about Ulster & Connacht now, especially Ulster, they (like us) have no game next weekend, that gives Murphy another week to get an improvement and get players playing his system.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I'm not really. They still conceded 5 trys last night. We should be looking at 3 wins. We're a different team when we're close to full strength.

Top 8 is wrapped up and top 4 could be before we play Ulster.

Anyways, great win again. Leamy deserves every accolade thrown at him. And Rowntree got the tactics spot on over the last 8 days.

Great performances from so many of the players too. Keep that intensity up and 3rd should be the lowest we finish.

• Advertisement

murphy has so much harm caused by DMF to undo that they wont be contenders for a while, and the amount of players leaving makes it difficult to see them doing well next year.

Everytime Ulster looked to have put treviso to the sword last night they left them back into it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Congrats to Munster...superb tour of SA....treated the games with the respect they deserve and were rewarded massively....

In complete contrast to Leinster who ended up with their arses handed to them and will probably end up trophyless again this season...

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭fire_man

Havent been following munster too closely but do they only start playing when big games are over.They were terrible in champions cup and no as season nearly over they put a run together.

"Haven't followed the team in any great detail but by crikey i won't let that hold me back from slating them" 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭CptMonkey

We only won the league last year. What did your team win?

SA comms were keen to point out how effective the Munster defense was at pressuring the Lions. They remarked in particular on how deep the 10 needed to stand to have space and time, but nevertheless, they just couldn't get anything going. That's some achievement, considering the altitude, conditions and how freakishly athletic some of those Lions backs are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭ersatz

Most impressive part of Munster's performance for me. They were relentless in pressing and pressuring any passing the Lions attempted. Their ten looked depressed by half time and he didn't bring great kicking boots from hand with him. Also impressive was the level of encouragement coming from players for good tackles, turnovers, scrum success. Great spirit and Beirne looks to be a v good captain.

James Tracey on Premier Sports said that Beirne could be the Irish Captain.

John Smit (former SA captain) said during comms that he had a great way of dealing with the ref, accepting that chat from the ref but at the same time explaining stuff that he felt the ref missed.

• Advertisement

He has a very sympathetic countenance. Like, he always just looks like he is SUFFERING for his team. Might be an asset for marginal calls with refs. "Jesus, poor Tadhg, I'll let them off that one", kinda thing.

A poster last week was saying that Zebo wouldn't play the 80 mins, he did, and played 70 mins yesterday (subbed for Haley) and he had two good games for us. Yesterday, he chased back to claim a loose ball and protected it long enough for cover to arrive, saved a certain try when a score then for The Lions might have changed the outcome of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭letowski

I taught Conor Murray shows how he is still a valuable member of the squad during this tour. He is a great option at 9 when we’re on the road. His game management and kicking game can keep us playing in the right parts of the field. And you have has contribution on defense when we’re under pressure too. Glad he is back next season.

A week of for Munster and the opportunity to approach the last 3 URC games with a decent squad, options in many positions, confidence, home advantage, massive bench impact and the Irish media continually saying how much trouble we are in.

league champions. In third place 5 points off the league leaders and only 1 point behind the dubs.

We are not doing to bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

I'd love to share in the optimism, but, there is still a big concern with our front row stocks.
    We are essentially missing our starting front row for the season with no guarantee any of them will return in the future.
    Kilcoyne, Barron and Salanoa are all out for the remainder of the season pending updates on their rehab, with no return date confirmed as of yet.
    One injury in any position and we will be in a very serious situation coming into the playoffs, I don't think any of the academy players besides Donnelly are capable of stepping in yet.
    LhP: Loughman, Wycherley, Donnelly (Academy Year 3)
    Hk: Scannell, Clarke, Buckley
    ThP: Jager, Ryan, Archer

Killer was available for the run in last season, yet Loughman and Wycherly were preferred.

Salanoa was on the bench for the play offs.

I've no idea how you see either as starters.

Even Barron v Scannell is a 50/50 call.

As to the playoffs, if we get an injury, we still have two players available.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

hold on………… did you say available…???

😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Piers O'Connor to Connacht has been confirmed - which would indicate that Tom Farrell to Munster is indeed on the cards

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

All I meant was we have three rounds to go, and if one of our front rows picks up an injury that might take a month or more to recover from, we will be in a very tough spot.

When I put it that we are missing our starting front row, I meant it in the context that Kilcoyne, Barron and Salanoa were all in Ireland squads recently, so if they weren’t on the long-term injury list they could hypothetically be our starting front row. That was used as an emphasis as to how good the three are and what a loss to our depth they are.

We still have three players in each position but our quality in each position will suffer with one more injury to any of Loughman, Scannell or Jager. Archer and Ryan are actually in good shape, I’d be much more worried facing into a knockout match with a bench including Buckley or Donnelly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭El Vino

Berch says Farrell to Munster this was done weeks ago,

Advertisement