Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Snymans are(n't) Forever

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,037 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

aloooof wrote: »
    He may not even get in their starting 15 tho.

Donnacha should though.

Zebo seems to be a bench player these days

• Registered Users Posts: 23,737 ✭✭✭✭phog

He may not even get in their starting 15 tho.

That's true but I think a previous poster was looking for a reaction.

Zebo's partner had a baby in the last week so he could very well have been on parental leave earlier this week and might not even make the 23.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,037 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Eod100 wrote: »
    Maybe, maybe not but word was he was on his bench because his wife was very close to having their baby. May be different this weekend.

He was benched the last two games prior to last week as well

Team
    Munster: Mike Haley; Andrew Conway, Chris Farrell, Rory Scannell, Keith Earls; JJ Hanrahan, Conor Murray; Jeremy Loughman, Niall Scannell, John Ryan; Jean Kleyn, Tadhg Beirne; Peter O’Mahony (C), Jack O’Donoghue, CJ Stander.

Replacements: Kevin O’Byrne, James Cronin, Stephen Archer, Billy Holland, Fineen Wycherley, Alby Mathewson, Dan Goggin, Arno Botha.

Player Update: Tyler Bleyendaal reported stiffness this week and was unavailable for selection.

So JJ makes it back and Tyler is a faller - no luck at all with injuries.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Glad to see JOD back in the team, he had a brilliant start to the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Story with Tyler....? I always feel better with him somewhere in the 23...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,650 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Story with Tyler....? I always feel better with him somewhere in the 23...

Bottom of the post above: Player Update: Tyler Bleyendaal reported stiffness this week and was unavailable for selection

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

If it wasnt before then the home game vs Sarries is definitely a must win now.
    And now most likely we must pick up a win away to either Sarries or Racing.
    Not feeling overly optimistic in our chances to progress beyond the group stage at the moment.
    Reckon we will see a heavily rotated team for Edinburgh next week. A very tough series of fixtures after that.

yerrahbah wrote: »
    If it wasnt before then the home game vs Sarries is definitely a must win now.
    And now most likely we must pick up a win away to either Sarries or Racing.
    Not feeling overly optimistic in our chances to progress beyond the group stage at the moment.
    Reckon we will see a heavily rotated team for Edinburgh next week. A very tough series of fixtures after that.

Back to back matches vs Saracens were always going to be big games but even bigger now. At least Saracens got nothing away to Racing in round 1. I'd like to think we can win either Saracens at home or Racing away for 4, Ospreys at home for 5 and 1 or 2 lbps to put us on 17/18. Might be optimistic and may not top the group with that but should hopefully be enough to get us 2nd and a runner up spot. Huge few weeks ahead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,141 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Back to back matches vs Saracens were always going to be big games but even bigger now. At least Saracens got nothing away to Racing in round 1. I'd like to think we can win either Saracens at home or Racing away for 4, Ospreys at home for 5 and 1 or 2 lbps to put us on 17/18. Might be optimistic and may not top the group with that but should hopefully be enough to get us 2nd and a runner up spot. Huge few weeks ahead

Saracens can send a 2nd string to Ospreys in R5 and depending on the state of play after the back to back games will decide how they approach R6

I can't see them throwing Europe. If that's the case then why send out such a strong team yesterday. I think it's wishful thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,098 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Saracens can send a 2nd string to Ospreys in R5 and depending on the state of play after the back to back games will decide how they approach R6

I can't see them throwing Europe. If that's the case then why send out such a strong team yesterday. I think it's wishful thinking.
    Well the obvious reason is to re-integrate the RWC players in the team. They're away to Bath next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

They won't throw Europe I don't think, but they'll treat it more like Leinster do the Pro14 at times. Yesterday was the first game back for a lot of big players, likely as a warm up to get them into shape for the Bath game next weekend. I've a feeling we'll still see some of their first team players over the next couple of rounds, but they'll continue to throw in the young lads and 2nd stringers to start as well. I'd be surprised if we see a full strength Sarries team at all unless they get to knockouts.

I don't think they will throw Europe (or suggest they would). Result of next 2 matches will decide a lot in pool for Munster and Saracens.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

I don't think they will throw Europe (or suggest they would). Result of next 2 matches will decide a lot in pool for Munster and Saracens.
    Rounded 3 and 4 generally do decide a lot but yeah these 2 games will say a lot when the top 3 have virtually identical points difference after opening rounds

• Registered Users Posts: 8,142 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Standouts for me were Haley, JJ and Conway. It was a great match! Munster hung in there and grabbed a draw.
    Loughman was impressive, pity he got hurt. Murray was good, imo. The Larkham effect is plain to see.
    Pity Donners chose to leave! He is immense. Brilliant player. POM was great the 1st 30 minutes.
    Larkham may just be what Munster need.

Rounded 3 and 4 generally do decide a lot but yeah these 2 games will say a lot when the top 3 have virtually identical points difference after opening rounds

Yup. Presumably Racing will get 9/10 points from their 2 matches v Ospreys to bring them to 16/17 after r3 and 4. Was always going to be a tough group.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭randomrb

The only potential positive is if we can beat Saracens at home they might field a weaker team in the away fixture as qualification will be less likely.

We just need to cheer on Bath this weekend to win and heap the pressure on them in the championship.

Thought Haley and Scannell both looked very sharp and looking forward to seeing the continued influence of Larkham in attack. If it wasn't for the ridiculous skills of Russel that would have been a relatively comfortable win.

Sounds like Anthony Watson and Cokanasiga are injured for Bath and likely to miss the game Saracens game this weekend, unfortunately.

We're in trouble at prop with Loughman & Killer out, outhalf is also a concern unless Joey is making a recovery.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

phog wrote: »
    We're in trouble at prop with Loughman & Killer out, outhalf is also a concern unless Joey is making a recovery.

Cronin and Liam O'Conner still available, but obviously we can't lose another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,179 ✭✭✭✭Buer

randomrb wrote: »
    The only potential positive is if we can beat Saracens at home they might field a weaker team in the away fixture as qualification will be less likely.

I think you'll need to beat them and ensure they leave empty handed. If Saracens go home with a losing BP, they're right in it and have every chance of making the quarter finals as a runner up due to the Ospreys being a mess and likely to give up 10 points to them.

Home wins plus 10 points from the Ospreys and Saracens are in the mix to qualify. A losing BP in Thomond and they're probably quite likely to do so (no runner up with 19 points has failed to qualify since the change in format). The longer they go on and are in with a shout, the stronger their line up will get.

If we're relying on Bath to do us a favour we're really in trouble..!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

randomrb wrote: »

We just need to cheer on Bath this weekend to win and heap the pressure on them in the championship.

Thought Haley and Scannell both looked very sharp and looking forward to seeing the continued influence of Larkham in attack. If it wasn't for the ridiculous skills of Russel that would have been a relatively comfortable win.

not a hope in hell of beating Saracens away if you cant beat Racing at home

not a hope in hell of beating Saracens away if you cant beat Racing at home

That's not exactly how sport works tho...

That's not exactly how sport works tho...

pretty good indicator, when do Snyman and De allende arrive? Munster as it stands dont look like title contenders but who knows what impact those two could have along with a bit of luck

pretty good indicator, when do Snyman and De allende arrive? Munster as it stands dont look like title contenders but who knows what impact those two could have along with a bit of luck

Only 5 teams have won their opening 2 matches. 7 unbeaten if you add Racing and Munster. Title isn't decided until May so bit early to decide that before pool stages are even over. And Munster have hardest pool by far. That hasn't been confirmed but if it is wouldn't be til start of next 2020/2021 season.

Only 5 teams have won their opening 2 matches. 7 unbeaten if you add Racing and Munster. Title isn't decided until May so bit early to decide that before pool stages are even over. And Munster have hardest pool by far. That hasn't been confirmed but if it is wouldn't be til start of next 2020/2021 season.

Racing are 10th in the top 14 on 18 points, Lyon are on 35 points at he top of the table.

Saracens are playing their B -team and Ospreys are a shambles....

Hardest pool my ass lol

Racing are 10th in the top 14 on 18 points, Lyon are on 35 points at he top of the table.

Hardest pool my ass lol

The bookies think otherwise, but since you seem to find this so laughable, which pool do you think is harder?

And I don't think you can read too much into the league position in France yet, with players returning. For example, Lyon had 3 players at the RWC. Racing had 10. Similarly, Clermont and Toulouse had 10 each also.

• Advertisement

Hardest pool my ass lol

Teams can bring different form into European competition obviously. 'B team' doesn't mean a whole lot when it comes to Saracens tbh. Treviso and Northampton are no great shakes so cancel out Lyon, no?

Advertisement