Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Snymans are(n't) Forever

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,946 ✭✭✭✭phog

No surprise that Connacht offered a contract to Wootton, I always liked to see him on out teamsheet and was surprised at the time we allowed him go on loan. He's shown his worth to Connacht and earned himself a contract. Best of Luck to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

Tomtom364 wrote: »
    Munster have been playing dual playmaker with Flannery & Crowley in all of the A games so far.

When Joey came on in Cardiff JJ went to 12.

Now Joeys first start and JJ steps in to 12 instead of Scannell in the absence of a DDA + Farrell center partnership with Crowley on the bench (he has been great the last two weeks in the a games).

Have Munster and Larkham been luring us all into a false sense of "same old Munster" and are going to start flinging the ball around like Toulouse?

:D one can dream :D

plan B for final.

If Munster want to keep all those 10/12's then this type of setup will need to be their go to post De Allende.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Munster have been playing dual playmaker with Flannery & Crowley in all of the A games so far.

Now Joeys first start and JJ steps in to 12 instead of Scannell in the absence of a DDA + Farrell center partnership with Crowley on the bench (he has been great the last two weeks in the a games).

Have Munster and Larkham been luring us all into a false sense of "same old Munster" and are going to start flinging the ball around like Toulouse?

We did see a glimpse of this a few years back with players (especially Zebo) flinging the ball about in a semi final vs Leinster. The idea was right...the execution was pretty horrible.

Hopefully we'll see some interesting backline play tonight (and our wingers getting the ball - ideally with some space).

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

phog wrote: »
    No surprise that Connacht offered a contract to Wootton, I always liked to see him on out teamsheet and was surprised at the time we allowed him go on loan. He's shown his worth to Connacht and earned himself a contract. Best of Luck to him.

It was the correct decision at the time. Wootton had become surplus to requirements. The move worked out for everyone.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I've already seen Archer throw a pop pass from the deck and John Ryan throw an offload this season, so you never know! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Fineen gone off to hospital for a review. Hopefully just precautionary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Agree completely - There are another 2 Ennis players that have been on all the same NTS squads etc. all the way up alongside Ethan Coughlan who haven't so much as stepped on a field this season and no doubt many more in all the provinces..

And it's not just potential Professional candidates. It's going to be the same all the way through Underage rugby - Every age group is effectively going to be a year behind the normal development curve as a result of everything.

Virtually every Schools SCT and Club U18 squad next season will be made up of players that have never played at that level before.

That is true and just means all formats need to be adapted to get as many games as possible, even more than usual next season to try keep as many kids in the sport. 20s hopefully will see far more clubs than usual competing

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Looks like he’s got the all clear and he’s on the way home from hospital. Great to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

razorblunt wrote: »
    Looks like he’s got the all clear and he’s on the way home from hospital. Great to hear.

No "significant" spinal injury. Not quite all clear. Let's see how Monday's follow up goes first.

Great news on Wycherley. The time he was down plus going to hospital was very concerning. Hopefully nothing serious comes out of next week.

A lot of players have been in the 23 in the last 4 games so I imagine we'll see close to 15 changes for Benetton. There's a lot of players unavailable in the back five.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

We're blessed to have to backrow options we currently have, we haven't seen this level of quality across the backrow since the glory days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Stander retiring at the end of the season:eek:

yerrahbah wrote: »
    Stander retiring at the end of the season:eek:

That's a massive surprise. He'll be a huge loss to Munster and Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

What the hell?!

I did not see that one coming at all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭theVersatile

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

That is an absolutely super-classy statement from CJ. Quite touching.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

What a shocking piece of news. Nice statement from him.

Just when I thought he was starting to embrace passing and off loading he decides to retire. Sad day for the province and enormous boots to fill.

Hopefully send him home with some silverware now

• Registered Users Posts: 11,689 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Wasn't expecting that at all. Big news

• Registered Users Posts: 24,193 ✭✭✭✭Buer

That's massive. Absolutely huge blow to Munster and a significant blow to Irish rugby. I can't begrudge him anything though. Absolutely leaves everything on the field time and time again.

He mentions how green he was when he arrived. I'm not sure people remember/appreciate just how far off the current player he was. He was rarely in the Munster team at first. I recall they didn't even add him to the European squad. His fitness wasn't up to it and he looked like he was struggling to settle.

To see the exceptional player he has become is testament to his work ethic and talent. He's an exceptionally likeable fellow and I hope he has an enjoyable retirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

Totally shocked by that. He definitely could of gone a few more seasons. He will be a massive loss for Munster and us fans will miss him big time. You can’t begrudge a man putting his family first. We were lucky to have him. Such a quality player and by all accounts a sound fella in person.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Sounds like the Limerick weather finally got to him.

Fair play for going on his own terms. A talented prospect who made the absolute most of his physical abilities and achieved far above what many thought he would. Has had a dream career and will be remembered as one of Munster's greats. And most of all, a really decent, likeable human being.

I was gobsmacked when I saw the headline but the statement lays it out. He's got a young family, has played professional rugby for 10ish years, is out of contract and wants to go home. Fair enough. He owes us nothing.

One of the best foreign signings ever who completely bought into Munster. The line about Anthony Foley is a tough one to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭hold my beer

That came out of nowhere. He was an outstanding player for Munster and Ireland. All the best to him in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭AlfaZen

True Giant of Munster and Ireland. Fully behind his decision and he owes Munster and Ireland nothing. Proved a lot of doubters wrong.

The biggest sadness is we won't be able to give him the proper Munster fair well he deserves.

Go dtí go mbuailfimid le chéile arís CJ!

What a servant to Munster Rugby.

Will be a huge loss next season, ideally you'd want the likes of Coombes, Hodnett and Kendellen playing beside him and learning from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,449 ✭✭✭touts

Absolutely gutted to hear this. I hope they bring him back for a half time walkout in TP so the fans can say goodbye to him and let him know how much he meant to us when we all get back in the stadium.

Diarmuid Barron 2021
    Kevin O'Byrne 2022
    Rhys Marshall 2021
    Niall Scannell 2023

Scott Buckley Year 1
    Eoghan Clarke Year 3

James Cronin 2021
    James French 2022
    Dave Kilcoyne 2023
    Liam O'Connor 2022
    Jeremy Loughman 2022

Josh Wycherley Year 3

Stephen Archer 2022
    Keynan Knox 2022
    John Ryan 2022
    Roman Salanoa 2022

Tadhg Beirne 2022
    Jean Kleyn 2022
    RG Snyman 2022
    Fineen Wycherley 2021

Thomas Ahern Year 3
    Paddy Kelly Year 2
    Eoin O'Connor Year 2

Gavin Coombes 2023
    Chris Cloete 2022
    John Hodnett 2023
    Tommy O'Donnell 2021
    Jack O'Donoghue 2023
    Peter O'Mahony 2023
    Jack O'Sullivan 2023

Jack Daly Year 3
    Alex Kendellen Year 1

Craig Casey 2023
    Neil Cronin 2023
    Nick McCarthy 2021
    Conor Murray 2022

Joey Carbery 2022
    Jake Flannery 2022
    JJ Hanrahan 2021
    Ben Healy 2022

Jack Crowley Year 1

Damian de Allende 2022
    Chris Farrell 2022
    Dan Goggin 2022
    Alex McHenry 2022
    Rory Scannell 2023

Andrew Conway 2023
    Liam Coombes 2022
    Shane Daly 2023
    Keith Earls 2022
    Seán French 2022
    Matt Gallagher 2022
    Mike Haley 2023
    Calvin Nash 2023
    Darren Sweetnam 2021

Jonathan Wren Year 3

2021/22 NIEs:
    RG Snyman (capped), Damian de Allende (capped)

IN:
    OUT: Billy Holland (LK, retirement), CJ Stander (BR, retirement)

This memory deserves a post for the day that's in it as well:

https://twitter.com/Overthehillprop/status/1371768179094081537

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭sliabh 1956

There are tears in my eyes reading that statement what a player the ultimate warrior. If ever a player personified the Munster team ethic it was CJ.

Advertisement