Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Snymans are(n't) Forever

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

It really belittles the Pro14 final, but with this cray year, what else is new..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,951 ✭✭✭✭phog

It really belittles the Pro14 final, but with this cray year, what else is new..

It does but as you say this year is a bit of an exception.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

bayern wrote: »
    shouldn't effect Munster much compared to Leinster.

Getting yer excuses in early, bayern? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

aloooof wrote: »
    Getting yer excuses in early, bayern? ;)

won't need excuses. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

bayern wrote: »
    won't need excuses. ;)

You'll just be beaten by the better team...good man :D

• Advertisement

You'll just be beaten by the better team...good man :D

heard it all before. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,983 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

**** that draw is tough, lets hope we continue our strong home record in knockout European games

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

• Registered Users Posts: 23,951 ✭✭✭✭phog

With McCarthy heading back to Leinster and with Murray and possibly Casey both away during the international window then we were always going to have look for someone.

I know very little of Osborne but I hope he at least on par with McCarthy.

phog wrote: »
    With McCarthy heading back to Leinster and with Murray and possibly Casey both away during the international window then we were always going to have look for someone.

a notch below McCarthy, but a relatively reliable 9 who you can trust to make good decisions.

• Advertisement

Larkham fairly clear they are going all out at final, hardly surprising given JVG/Munster need a trophy/win over Leinster in a big game:

However Larkham would not be drawn on whether they will look to rotate their squad between the Leinster and Toulouse games, an approach which Stuart Lancaster has hinted Leinster may take, given the Pro14 final is sandwiched between the weekends of Ireland’s Six Nations meeting with England and the Champions Cup round of 16 ties.

“If you look at our cycle we’re not going past the (Pro14) final at this stage. It will literally be put everything into the final and we’ll move onto the next week after that,” Larkham says.

“We’re prepping everything for that final and they’ll be no focus from coaches on the rounds after that until the final is finished.”

https://www.the42.ie/joey-carbery-out-half-5376538-Mar2021/

• Registered Users Posts: 21,614 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Good stop gap until the likes of Coughlan gets into the academy and can progress or another SH gets brought into the academy. If Cronin is back from injury then he'd fall into the 4th choice slot, he's a step below McCarthy at the moment as bayern has mentioned, but he hasn't had any massive blunders or anything in the few appearances he's made.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

He got a start in Thomond awhile back, iirc after JGP had to pull out sick and did a lot better that day than I was hoping that day, seemed pretty decent to me.

We need the cover... Going to be difficult at times next season with Murray, Casey & Carberry away with Ireland... so hopefully JJ & Osborne gel well.
    I think he's like Casey is stature and game style? I'm struggling to remember

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

With McCarthy going, we were always going to bringing someone in.

From the IRFU POV it makes sense that its another Irish player low on gametime rather than a journeyman from overseas.

Hopefully we get a SH or two into the Academy for next season, Coughlan seems to be the best bet.

yerrahbah wrote: »
    With McCarthy going, we were always going to bringing someone in.

From the IRFU POV it makes sense that its another Irish player low on gametime rather than a journeyman from overseas.

Hopefully we get a SH or two into the Academy for next season, Coughlan seems to be the best bet.

Coughlan and possibly Ben Murphy from Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,053 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Would have liked to hold on to Patterson, he was very impressive on Saturday with the A team.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Have to say I was disappointed that we were signing another 9 as I'd love to see an Ennis player coming through, then I remembered that Coughlan is under 19 and not even an academy player yet so I should just cop the **** on :D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Clareman wrote: »
    Have to say I was disappointed that we were signing another 9 as I'd love to see an Ennis player coming through, then I remembered that Coughlan is under 19 and not even an academy player yet so I should just cop the **** on :D

The "lost year" is really going to skew the Academy development cycle.

Under normal circumstances , someone like Ethan Coughlan (and many others across the country) would have had a full season of AIL under his belt as part of his development curve along with multiple games for Provincial U19/U20 teams and possibly Ireland as well.

As it stands , he and many others only have at most a half dozen "A" or other Development games played.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭theVersatile

I wouldn't be too worried about the likes of Coughlan, Hurley, etc who have atleast had those A games and an Irish 20s camp. It's the guys who are in the system but you haven't heard of, who haven't had the chance to even play in A games, are the ones who are losing out on development.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

I thought they might offer Jack Stafford the chance of a 1 year contract, but maybe they rate Osborne more.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,053 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

https://www.otbsports.com/sport/reports-donnacha-ryan-to-leave-racing-92-at-the-end-of-the-season-1162895

Donnacha Ryan leaving Racing 92 at the end of the season, rumoured to be going to Vannes. No update on Zebo

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

There's eight back three players signed up next year and Earls should be available for more games. I can't see a Zebo return happening.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I wouldn't be too worried about the likes of Coughlan, Hurley, etc who have atleast had those A games and an Irish 20s camp. It's the guys who are in the system but you haven't heard of, who haven't had the chance to even play in A games, are the ones who are losing out on development.

Agree completely - There are another 2 Ennis players that have been on all the same NTS squads etc. all the way up alongside Ethan Coughlan who haven't so much as stepped on a field this season and no doubt many more in all the provinces..

And it's not just potential Professional candidates. It's going to be the same all the way through Underage rugby - Every age group is effectively going to be a year behind the normal development curve as a result of everything.

Virtually every Schools SCT and Club U18 squad next season will be made up of players that have never played at that level before.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,695 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Team out

Mike Haley; Calvin Nash, Damian de Allende, JJ Hanrahan, Shane Daly; Joey Carbery, Nick McCarthy; James Cronin, Niall Scannell, Stephen Archer; Jean Kleyn, Billy Holland (C); Fineen Wycherley, Jack O’Sullivan, Gavin Coombes.

Replacements: Kevin O’Byrne, Jeremy Loughman, John Ryan, Thomas Ahern, Alex Kendellen, Paddy Patterson, Jack Crowley, Darren Sweetnam.

Im still convinced that Joey is in line for a call up against England

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

Im still convinced that Joey is in line for a call up against England

Definitely not going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Eod100 wrote: »
    Team out

Mike Haley; Calvin Nash, Damian de Allende, JJ Hanrahan, Shane Daly; Joey Carbery, Nick McCarthy; James Cronin, Niall Scannell, Stephen Archer; Jean Kleyn, Billy Holland (C); Fineen Wycherley, Jack O’Sullivan, Gavin Coombes.

Replacements: Kevin O’Byrne, Jeremy Loughman, John Ryan, Thomas Ahern, Alex Kendellen, Paddy Patterson, Jack Crowley, Darren Sweetnam.

JJ at 12. Been while since we've seen that. always thought he'd been better off as a 12.
    Hopefully see good bit more of Ahern and Crowley.

davo2001 wrote: »
    Definitely not going to happen.

Believe me, I hope you're right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

Munster have been playing dual playmaker with Flannery & Crowley in all of the A games so far.

When Joey came on in Cardiff JJ went to 12.

Now Joeys first start and JJ steps in to 12 instead of Scannell in the absence of a DDA + Farrell center partnership with Crowley on the bench (he has been great the last two weeks in the a games).

Have Munster and Larkham been luring us all into a false sense of "same old Munster" and are going to start flinging the ball around like Toulouse?

:D one can dream :D

Advertisement