Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Snymans are(n't) Forever

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Neil Francis seems to think CJ will go to the Bulls quite quickly.
    Tbh...I think the chances of CJ walking away from rugby are almost zero....he just has too much to give..
    He'll take a break and hopefully play another season or 2 at home

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Tbh...I think the chances of CJ walking away from rugby are almost zero....he just has too much to give..

Did he actually say he’d go to the Bulls? Stormers surely if anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

What are the restrictions in SA regarding NSAQ players? I don't think there are any players at the 4 recent former Super Rugby franchises that aren't eligible for SA representation.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

He said he's not playing anymore. Id take him at his word. He's going farming ..and we won't see him playing down in SA

• Registered Users Posts: 11,320 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Neil Francis thinking would be a first for him.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

CJ always seems a straight up kind of guy, he never made a secret that he was going to return to the family farm, I'd imagine lockdown just heightened the gap between Ireland and South Africa for him and his family, I'm sure as a professional sportsman the whole bubble thing was manageable but for his wife and child it just proved too much. He was pretty much guaranteed a 2 year central contract which is a decent wedge so I can't imagine this is a money driven decision. I hope he gets to leave winning a medal with Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Neil Francis and the indo with a disparaging/click bait article about stander to make people think he’s a bad guy?

Shocked,
    Absolutely shocked

It’s not worth the paper it’s printed on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Buer wrote: »
    What are the restrictions in SA regarding NSAQ players? I don't think there are any players at the 4 recent former Super Rugby franchises that aren't eligible for SA representation.

Wouldn't be surprised if there were or are a couple of Zimbabweans knocking about, wiki of the current squad shows there's definitely a few in the Currie cup teams anyway.

Edit: one or two Namibians too.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

CJ could have signed immediately with the Bulls if he wanted to. I'm not getting the subterfuge angle.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,744 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Saw the Francis thing and he said he was "only speculating." Think it's an easy thing to throw out there without anything backing it up and if it happens (which I think is fairly slim chance) he can claim credit for being right. I'd take his stuff with a bag of salt at the best of times. It's barstool stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

It'll be some craic when the man retiring from rugby for his family rocks up at a Pro16 fixture in Thomond in his Bulls or Stormers kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Larbre34 wrote: »
    It'll be some craic when the man retiring from rugby for his family rocks up at a Pro16 fixture in Thomond in his Bulls or Stormers kit.

Was the calling out in the Leinster thread for this rubbish earlier not enough to think maybe this isn’t the right avenue to go down?

As above, if he wanted to play for someone else there is zero stopping him.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Yeah, I dont get this. He isn't using the retirement angle to get out if a contract early. He's just not re-signing. There would be no reason that he couldn't just move to another club in SA. The lengths some will go to in order to justify their bizarre and misguided need to be contrary is just odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭ersatz

I'd put CJ up there with Howlett and Nacewa in terms of his contribution to club rugby in Ireland, and add to that how much he has delivered in green. Definitely one of the biggest successes among our player imports. Good luck to him down on the farm.

It does open the door for some of our young back row friends in D4 to consider taking the train down to Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

I was really saddened by the news, but I hope CJ's made enough cash to be set up in his new life.

I respect him for making a tough but correct decision to stop taking punishment and ensure he has good health to enjoy life with his wife and family around him.

Regardless, I'll really miss CJ "one take" Stander running out in green and red.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

What are Munsters backrow options looking like now?

First choice:
    6. Jack O'Donoghue, 7. Peter O'Mahony, 8. Gavin Coombes; 20. John Hodnett

Second choice:
    6. Fineen Wycherley, 7. Chris Cloete, 8. Jack O'Sullivan; 20. Alex Kendellen

Third choice:
    6. Cian Hurley, 7. Jack Daly, 8. Daniel Okeke; 20. dunno

Don't think they need to be signing anyone from Leinster.

Big chance for Coombes going forward at eighthman.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Whitters22

What are Munsters backrow options looking like now?

First choice:
    6. Jack O'Donoghue, 7. Peter O'Mahony, 8. Gavin Coombes; 20. John Hodnett

Second choice:
    6. Fineen Wycherley, 7. Chris Cloete, 8. Jack O'Sullivan; 20. Alex Kendellen

Third choice:
    6. Cian Hurley, 7. Jack Daly, 8. Daniel Okeke; 20. dunno

Don't think they need to be signing anyone from Leinster.

Big chance for Coombes going forward at eighthman.

You could see Beirne playing a bit more at 6 going forward but that's dependent on getting RG back fit for next season. Shift Pete to 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

https://www.munsterrugby.ie/2021/03/17/press-pass-munster-v-benetton/

Liam Coombes did the presser so should be involved on Friday.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

ersatz wrote: »
    I'd put CJ up there with Howlett and Nacewa in terms of his contribution to club rugby in Ireland, and add to that how much he has delivered in green. Definitely one of the biggest successes among our player imports. Good luck to him down on the farm.

It does open the door for some of our young back row friends in D4 to consider taking the train down to Limerick.

Absolutely different categories completley, CJ came to prove himself, Dougie came to be earn a wage at the end of his career (expanded that into so much more), Nacewa a "journey man" club that was probably the best find in Irish club rugby history, if it wasn't for his 1 "cap" he'd have had a couple of World Cup medals with NZ or 50+ Irish caps.

For contributions to "club" rugby, which I would classify as professional provincial rugby, I would say John Langford, Jim Williams and Paul Warrick were the top for us.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Shaun Payne and Mafi deserve a mention as well. We’ve had some cracking imports over the years, not least put current 2, which just reminds me how much I’m looking forward to seeing Snyman once he gets back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭ersatz

Clareman wrote: »
    Absolutely different categories completley, CJ came to prove himself, Dougie came to be earn a wage at the end of his career (expanded that into so much more), Nacewa a "journey man" club that was probably the best find in Irish club rugby history, if it wasn't for his 1 "cap" he'd have had a couple of World Cup medals with NZ or 50+ Irish caps.

For contributions to "club" rugby, which I would classify as professional provincial rugby, I would say John Langford, Jim Williams and Paul Warrick were the top for us.

Not sure what you mean here? Did Langford, Williams and Warwick make greater contributions to Munster than CJ and Dougie? Or is there some qualitative factor because Dougie came as an established player after an international career (like Williams and Langford) while CJ came without a test pedigree and proved himself in Ireland like Warrick? (he did play 7s for Oz). And regardless of Nacewa's bizarre test career he's undoubtedly Leinster's most important non Irish player ever. CJ isn't that for Munster largely because they haven't won anything while he has been there even though he's been their most consistent player over the period.

• Munster: Jake Flannery; Andrew Conway, Alex McHenry, Rory Scannell, Liam Coombes; JJ Hanrahan, Paddy Patterson; Liam O’Connor, Diarmuid Barron, Keynan Knox; Cian Hurley, Thomas Ahern; Jack O’Donoghue (C), Chris Cloete, Jack O’Sullivan.

Replacements: Rhys Marshall, Jeremy Loughman, Roman Salanoa, Jack Daly, Tommy O’Donnell, Nick McCarthy, Ben Healy, Matt Gallagher.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭theVersatile

That's an interesting team to say the least

• Registered Users Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭phog

Good to see Gallagher back, first starts for Flannery and Patterson.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭phog

phog wrote: »
    Good to see Gallagher back, first starts for Flannery and Patterson.

Missed Hurley, I think that's a first start for him too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Hopefully the game starts on time...half of that Munster side have a 9pm curfew!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

Munster: Jake Flannery; Andrew Conway, Alex McHenry, Rory Scannell, Liam Coombes; JJ Hanrahan, Paddy Patterson; Liam O’Connor, Diarmuid Barron, Keynan Knox; Cian Hurley, Thomas Ahern; Jack O’Donoghue (C), Chris Cloete, Jack O’Sullivan.

Replacements: Rhys Marshall, Jeremy Loughman, Roman Salanoa, Jack Daly, Tommy O’Donnell, Nick McCarthy, Ben Healy, Matt Gallagher.

0 players from Limerick, first time ever?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Just tired of Rugby? Preserving his health? Or pissed off and decided to leave due to the massive abuse his partner got last year on twitter due to an alleged London trip during restrictions?

Best of luck CJ. I hope you look back on your time in Ireland fondly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

https://twitter.com/KieranMcC_SS/status/1371843857676173312

We wont be seeing Hodnett for a while

In better news, that moustache is incredible

Advertisement