Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Snymans are(n't) Forever

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Leamy was a very good player but no way he'd be ahead of POM, Wallace, Foley or Stander in any of the backrow slots.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Muck Savage 2020

With no rugby for the foreseeable future, I had a go at predicting the Munster Team that will be hopefully capable of challenging for the Heineken Cup in 2022/2023

Killer Marshall Knox
    Ahern Snyman
    Beirne Hodnett CJ (c)

Casey Crowley
    Daly DDA Farrell Conway
    Carberry

Bench: Barron, Josh Wycherley, Tom Clarkson , Kleyn , JOD, Murray ,Goggin , Gallagher

Not to mention the following squad players who will also have a big part to play:

Loughman, Wycherley, JOS, Coombes, Kendellen Healy, Sean French, Flannery, Nash, Haley

Future is bright but we will find it hard to hold onto all the young backrowers. Signings probably needed at 2 and 3!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,193 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Minor issue with your sub tighthead...

• Subscribers Posts: 41,202 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Buer wrote: »
    Minor issue with your sub tighthead...

dont they have enough already.......

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

Fairly poor selection but then Munster were never known for having a decent midfield or backline creativity.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2020/0408/1129440-best-xv-of-professional-era-munster-midfield/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

my head hurts from trying to read that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Supporters club been running poll on best team of pro era
    15 Zebo
    14 Dougie
    13 Tipoki
    12 Mafi
    11 Earls
    10 ROG
    9 Stringer
    8 Axel
    7 David Wallace
    6 POM
    5 POC
    4 DOC
    3 John Hayes
    2 Fla
    1 Claw

Bench votes still to come.

JDV or Dutchy ahead of Mafi.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

xxyyzz wrote: »
    JDV or Dutchy ahead of Mafi.
    That's not how a supporters internet poll works. The majority have spoken.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

That's not how a supporters internet poll works. The majority have spoken.

Yeah well... they're wrong :D

RTE are polling on the best Munster scrum-half; Stringer out in front with 65% of the vote, Murray on 32% and TOL on 3%

Something not quite right there.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,202 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

RTE are polling on the best Munster scrum-half; Stringer out in front with 65% of the vote, Murray on 32% and TOL on 3%

#justiceforDunc !

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

is there?
    Stringer key part of the two cup wins. Such long term partnership with rog etc

is there?
    Stringer key part of the two cup wins. Such long term partnership with rog etc

I think it's sentimental tbh. Stringer was a big fan's favourite but he was never as good as Murray.

He wasn't really a key part of the 2008 win either.

Not having a go at him, just thought the margin was striking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I'd say Murrays form in the last 18 months plays a part in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

It's a bit like having Leo Cullen ahead of Malcolm O'Kelly.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I think it's sentimental tbh. Stringer was a big fan's favourite but he was never as good as Murray.

He wasn't really a key part of the 2008 win either.

Not having a go at him, just thought the margin was striking.

You just answered your own question. He's a fans favourite and it's fans voting on the poll.

And he started all 6 pool games in 2007/08 so it's untrue to say he wasn't a key part

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Stringer is a cult hero. No surprise.

You just answered your own question. He's a fans favourite and it's fans voting on the poll.

And he started all 6 pool games in 2007/08 so it's untrue to say he wasn't a key part

And didn't get a single minute in the knockouts.

Just thought it was interesting that he was so far ahead despite being significantly inferior to Murray.

Cornish pirates streaming the 2010 British and Irish cup final against Munster on their website sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

It's come up here before. The 42 have an interesting article on the lack of Limerick players in the academy.

https://twitter.com/The42_ie/status/1248913684958609410?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

It’s a concerning development, one that elite player development manager Peter Malone, who has been in charge of the academy since 2012, says Munster aren’t ignoring

I think it might be worth having a look at what Peter is up to.....

This I also find strange:

“Only one of those five schools is a private school [Glenstal], which does make a small difference to how much resource the school can put into their rugby programme,” points out Malone.

He says “there isn’t the money” within Munster to pump more into the schools’ programmes, so the province’s support instead comes in the form of coaching expertise.

The likes of Sarries and the English clubs have all pushed money into the school's programmes, would it not make more sense to push some money into schools than a foreign signing? ok maybe a small bit of hurt up front but better long term gain?

Bleyendaal was handed another contract last year and I would expect on decent wages, no surprise he is out injured again. Would that money not have made more sense to be pushed into the schools?

Did they really need Mathewson on the books for a couple of months this season while they had plenty of options?

This is all money wasted, but then they say they have no money to push into schools

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    It’s a concerning development, one that elite player development manager Peter Malone, who has been in charge of the academy since 2012, says Munster aren’t ignoring

“Only one of those five schools is a private school [Glenstal], which does make a small difference to how much resource the school can put into their rugby programme,” points out Malone.

He says “there isn’t the money” within Munster to pump more into the schools’ programmes, so the province’s support instead comes in the form of coaching expertise.

The likes of Sarries and the English clubs have all pushed money into the school's programmes, would it not make more sense to push some money into schools than a foreign signing? ok maybe a small bit of hurt up front but better long term gain?

Bleyendaal was handed another contract last year and I would expect on decent wages, no surprise he is out injured again. Would that money not have made more sense to be pushed into the schools?

Did they really need Mathewson on the books for a couple of months this season while they had plenty of options?

This is all money wasted, but then they say they have no money to push into schools

At the risk of being accused of being a MOLF, I think Munster do have an issue with their financial priorities when it comes to signing players/developing them.

I think a lot of this is the feeling that Munster are a great club and should be winning, every year that they don't win combined with an aging crop of top internationals means they're willing to throw more and more money at winning now instead of building for the future.

This happens in the NFL as well where teams feel they're only one or two players away from a Superbowl team and they mortgage their future (i.e. draft picks) to get them.

Your posts are 3/4 years too late. Munster's current crop of young players is the best in quite a while. There's very few aging passengers in the squad keeping young players from getting opportunities. This was an issue a few seasons back when Munster subsequently had a large clear out. The "aging internationals" have potential replacements coming through.

You need stars. Pumping money into schools/underage is all well and good in the long term but it won't sell a single ticket in the short-medium term. I've said it before and I'll say it again: Leinster have big money foreign players too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Your posts are 3/4 years too late. Munster's current crop of young players is the best in quite a while. There's very few aging passengers in the squad keeping young players from getting opportunities. This was an issue a few seasons back when Munster subsequently had a large clear out. The "aging internationals" have potential replacements coming through.

You need stars. Pumping money into schools/underage is all well and good in the long term but it won't sell a single ticket in the short-medium term. I've said it before and I'll say it again: Leinster have big money foreign players too!

Not sure what Leinster has to do with the converation?

Are you saying that signing Mathewson and Bleyndall for this season has brought the crowds flooding into games? I would have thought the chance of seeing Casey playing for Munster would bring more fans than Mathewson at the start of the season

To be honest Bleyndall is knocking around years and is hardly a big crowd pull either. Even if he was ever fit

I am not talking about the new signing next year who will pull in crowds of course. But was it really wise money spent on those two?

If Munster want to release an article like the above, which is a piece to try and get money from IRFU, some of these questions need to be answered. Ploughing more money into Munster might be a waste of time if they dont use it correctly and when they identify players they don't give them a chance in the first team.

P.S. I have been posting about this a while now and get all sorts of accusations thrown at me.....

I'm not addressing Mathewson again.

We're all talking in hindsight. Bleyendaal's re-signing was possibly an error but Ben Healy is still an academy player. Without Bleyendaal that leaves Carbery and Hanrahan in the senior squad. Carbery if fit would have been away with Ireland. You need cover and Bleyendaal provides that.

Next year is a big one, all going well with Covid. Munster have spent big on two Springboks. We have to hope Carbery can come back fit and stay fit. The squad looks very strong and JvG will be in the hotseat. I won't say a trophy has to be won but Munster should be making a final.

I'm not addressing Mathewson again.

We're all talking in hindsight. Bleyendaal's re-signing was possibly an error but Ben Healy is still an academy player. Without Bleyendaal that leaves Carbery and Hanrahan in the senior squad. Carbery if fit would have been away with Ireland. You need cover and Bleyendaal provides that.

Next year is a big one, all going well with Covid. Munster have spent big on two Springboks. We have to hope Carbery can come back fit and stay fit. The squad looks very strong and JvG will be in the hotseat. I won't say a trophy has to be won but Munster should be making a final.

You have to consider value over replacement.

We have no idea but it's probably not an outrageous suggestion that Blyendaal is on around €150k a year.

If he doesn't get that contract renewal, you're down a senior player, yes. But you don't need a senior player as your third string. The upside is you have €150k to invest in schools, that's at least three or four full time coaches and a promising academy players gets the chance to get ten minutes every now and then in Pro14 dirt trackers.

It's an absolute no brainer. Resigning Blyendaal even ignoring his injury profile was a mad move. And people did say it at the time, myself included.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

troyzer wrote: »
    You have to consider value over replacement.

We have no idea but it's probably not an outrageous suggestion that Blyendaal is on around €150k a year.

If he doesn't get that contract renewal, you're down a senior player, yes. But you don't need a senior player as your third string. The upside is you have €150k to invest in schools, that's at least three or four full time coaches and a promising academy players gets the chance to get ten minutes every now and then in Pro14 dirt trackers.

It's an absolute no brainer. Resigning Blyendaal even ignoring his injury profile was a mad move. And people did say it at the time, myself included.

In fairness if you spend that money on coaches you have to spend it every year so it’s no longer available for squad wages even as the younger players progress so your down a senior player for the future.

salmocab wrote: »
    In fairness if you spend that money on coaches you have to spend it every year so it’s no longer available for squad wages even as the younger players progress so your down a senior player for the future.

You have to spend €150k every year on Blyendaal's contract and the player after that anyway. Money is fungible.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

troyzer wrote: »
    You have to spend €150k every year on Blyendaal's contract and the player after that anyway. Money is fungible.

Yes but if you employ these coaches then that’s basically that amount of money gone from the playing budget. You could surely make the same argument for any player then that’s not a shoe in for a place in the squad. I’m not arguing for Blyndell as I’ve never rated him but you could make the argument of any player being let go in favour of coaching kids.

• Advertisement

Shefwedfan wrote: »

you cant just push money into schools. Especially when there is so few rugby schools. Work with them but Munster are working a lot to get more clubs up to grade and that will be far better in the medium to long term. There isnt really the money to push into schools at the top end of schools game.

well Munster have to look at the medium and long term. You only really watch look at pro game and leinster do have big money foreign players but their age grade is far better than munsters so can focus bit more on top end. Munster need take short hit at top to make age grade development better in long term. A years salary for a foreign signing spent on internal youth development could develop several pros in the future. So which do you want?

Advertisement