Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Snymans are(n't) Forever

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,645 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Munster should sign Owen Farrell on a one year loan contract.

Heh, would be entertaining but never going to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 13,038 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Munster should sign Owen Farrell on a one year loan contract.
    Has a lot of positives for him. Still gets to wear red and to see a bit more of his dad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Has a lot of positives for him. Still gets to wear red and to see a bit more of his dad.

He also comes fully equipped with a scowl

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

stephen_n wrote: »
    He also comes fully equipped with a scowl

Perfect. He's already got pashun.

Perfect. He's already got pashun.
    He'll want to be captain though and POM won't stand for that without a stare off.

• Advertisement

1. He has family in Ireland
    2. He won't be playing for a Competitor
    3. He will get plenty of down time when Carbery plays
    4. A year loan is fine with everyone
    5. He can experience a different setup in another Lions contributing country in the season before the Lions tour
    6. His surname is Farrell for f**k sake
    7. He can get more game time at 12
    8. He's used to playing alongside South Africans

That's 8 reasons I came up with in just a few minutes. There is definitely at least another 8 or maybe even 9 out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

1. He has family in Ireland
    2. He won't be playing for a Competitor
    3. He will get plenty of down time when Carbery plays
    4. A year loan is fine with everyone
    5. He can experience a different setup in another Lions contributing country in the season before the Lions tour
    6. His surname is Farrell for f**k sake
    7. He can get more game time at 12
    8. He's used to playing alongside South Africans

That's 8 reasons I came up with in just a few minutes. There is definitely at least another 8 or maybe even 9 out there.

You forgot we don’t have a wage cap.

Will be interesting to see if players that do opt to play abroad get to still play for England. Desperate times and all that

stephen_n wrote: »
    You forgot we don’t have a wage cap.

I'm not entirely kidding here. There are 20 - 30 players at Sarries that have no business playing in the Championship. The French teams are focusing more on internationally eligible talent, Toulon has said it's changing it's model to develop talent instead so options might not be as forthcoming.

Lyon have come out already looking for Farrell and Itoje, but I think the provinces can offer something a little more flexible for these guys if they want to treat the year as a bit of a sabbatical.

If Leinster can't hold onto Fardy next season Itoje would be an able replacement.

This is like that song 'it's raining men' only instead of men it's 'seasoned international professional rugby players'.

Eod100 wrote: »
    Will be interesting to see if players that do opt to play abroad get to still play for England. Desperate times and all that

Lions selectors won't care and it's a good time in the world cup cycle to take a NZ style sabbatical.

• Advertisement

Lions selectors won't care and it's a good time in the world cup cycle to take a NZ style sabbatical.

It's a fairly unprecedented situation but even still dunno I see him coming to play here. You make a good pitch though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

And the money to sign Farrell and other Sarries comes from where exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,142 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

There's going to be guys available that won't cost a fortune? Barritt for example? Wray is another. Farrell would be an insane signing! He would put Munster right back in the picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭mun1

Dubinusa wrote: »
    There's going to be guys available that won't cost a fortune? Barritt for example? Wray is another. Farrell would be an insane signing! He would put Munster right back in the picture.

With sexton a bit old and regularly crocked , could your Leinster boys not do with a good 10 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Dubinusa wrote: »

The ones that don’t cost a fortune are the ones they should be keeping!

Those guys are used to massive wages, even Barrit and Wray. Plus the odd house thrown in...

mun1 wrote: »
    With sexton a bit old and regularly crocked , could your Leinster boys not do with a good 10 ?
    We'll just take back the one you took off us and broke thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭mun1

prawnsambo wrote: »
    We'll just take back the one you took off us and broke thanks.

You talking about the Auckland boy Carberry ?

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭lotmc

I don't see a load of sarries guys going off for a year, then back. A few problems come to mind:

Sarries are clearly well ahead of the salary cap. How would this be fixed by lads taking a year off? Problem will arise again in a year, presuming they achieve promotion, when the lads come back again. Unless they take big pay cuts - that's a very bitter pill to swallow.

One-year stints are very unusual, as most teams use longer term planning. Typical contracts are 3 years.

It's a big decision for a player to move elsewhere, and again they (and their partners / family) might not like a lack of certainty.

I think there will be a rush for the exits, likely to start immediately, as players look for some form of certainty in their careers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,178 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Also the rules stipulate that the team must be compliant with the cap for 2 seasons. It's yet to be confirmed but, if that's applied, Saracens will have to spend a minimum of 2 seasons outside of the top flight.

As discussed earlier, this isn't Saracens going on hiatus and trying to find a way to be competitors for silverware in 18 months when back in the top flight. This is a matter of Saracens trying to find a way not to go out of business in the next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,906 ✭✭✭jacothelad

I think that the team that finishes bottom apart from Saracens should be required to be in a play off with the second place finisher in the Championship. That will keep the rest of the season competitive......

mun1 wrote: »
    You talking about the Auckland boy Carberry ?
    Nobody of that name ever grew up in Athy and played for Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

lotmc wrote: »
    I. How would this be fixed by lads taking a year off?

I think the "loan" or one year deal are more about not permanently losing some of their top players

obviously some players will have to go permanently but if the likes of Farrell or Itoje etc. are happy to play elsewhere for a year and return Sarries would be prioritising that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Buer wrote: »
    Also the rules stipulate that the team must be compliant with the cap for 2 seasons. It's yet to be confirmed but, if that's applied, Saracens will have to spend a minimum of 2 seasons outside of the top flight.

I don't think this will happen. The rules weren't written for this sort of eventuality.

Their punishment for breaking the cap in 2018/19 was a 35-point deduction. Punishment for breaking it in 2019/20 was relegation.

If you then deny them promotion after one season based on non-compliance for 2019/20, then you're punishing them twice for the same offence. I can't see that going unchallenged and tbh it's hard to see how it would withstand such a challenge.

If they're compliant with the salary cap next year, they'll have to be allowed straight back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭randomrb

I don't think this will happen. The rules weren't written for this sort of eventuality.

Their punishment for breaking the cap in 2018/19 was a 35-point deduction. Punishment for breaking it in 2019/20 was relegation.

If you then deny them promotion after one season based on non-compliance for 2019/20, then you're punishing them twice for the same offence. I can't see that going unchallenged and tbh it's hard to see how it would withstand such a challenge.

If they're compliant with the salary cap next year, they'll have to be allowed straight back up.

I could be wrong but I believe that technically there is no salary cap for the championship

randomrb wrote: »
    I could be wrong but I believe that technically there is no salary cap for the championship

Maybe but think its nominally the Premiership cap probably based on assumption no Championship club would be anywhere near it. Plus would need to be following it to be promoted

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭randomrb

Eod100 wrote: »
    Maybe but think its nominally the Premiership cap probably based on assumption no Championship club would be anywhere near it. Plus would need to be following it to be promoted

They would need to be under to get promoted but if they are having difficulties getting under (bearing in mind paying off a player to end a contract early counts towards the salary cap) then it might give them the leeway to let some contracts run out.

If munster were looking for players to grab a good shout would be Koch to bring a bit more quality to the tight five

The rules for teams in the championship coming up are to prevent front loading to avoid the cap.

Pay all your squad three years wages in year one and then nothing when promoted.

I think Sarries if compliant next year will be let up. I already think they've been fairly severely punished, not unjustified but a two year hold in the championship would be very harsh - potentially a second effective relegation if they were to otherwise qualify.

• Advertisement

Next game is Kings in Cork. Casey, Healy, JOS and Knox should be starting a game like this.

Advertisement