Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway's traffic issues

Options
18911131455

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 25,940 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble


    xckjoo wrote: »
    They aren't cars. We have different sets of rules for them (contra flows, bus lanes, bike lanes, etc). A bit of extra distance isn't an issue on a bike though. Elevation changes are a much bigger challenge. Most people I've met that cycle commute already take longer routes to avoid things like hills and dangerous parts of the road. Not too many trikes out there....

    PS thanks to nox for perfectly demonstrating what I was talking about with intuition vs fact backed information

    Thanks for missing the point yourself.

    "Bike lanes" misses the point that the nature of cycling is changing. We need to think more widely, because the very.meaning of "bikes" is changing.

    Bicycles are not allowed to go contra flow on one way streets in Galway. There is legal provision to allow this but so far the council have chosen not to use it - thankfully.

    I know of two three-wheelers regularly used in Galway. Likely there are others.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo


    Thanks for missing the point yourself.

    "Bike lanes" misses the point that the nature of cycling is changing. We need to think more widely, because the very.meaning of "bikes" is changing.

    Bicycles are not allowed to go contra flow on one way streets in Galway. There is legal provision to allow this but so far the council have chosen not to use it - thankfully.

    I know of two three-wheelers regularly used in Galway. Likely there are others.

    I've no idea what you're getting at and I cycle daily. You're arguing that we can't bring in one ways because of bikes and the like, yet at the same time saying the way they are being used is completely changing. Electric bikes eliminate the issues of distance and hills so that goes against your point. There's provision for contra flow bike lanes so they can be brought in if needs be. You just seem to be against any changes because they are changes


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,917 ✭✭✭Storm 10


    Cemetery cross is a car park they are cutting down trees at the Cemetery why this time of day bloody lunancy


  • Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986


    Sure yet again storm that's more if it .
    They wait until a Friday to do it .
    During the week it was the burst pipe that hadn't obviously been fixed properly .
    I keep saying it
    " GALWAY IS A CITY BEEN RUN BY IDIOTS THAT COULDNT RUN A VILLAGE "


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden


    Sure yet again storm that's more if it .
    They wait until a Friday to do it .
    During the week it was the burst pipe that hadn't obviously been fixed properly .
    I keep saying it
    " GALWAY IS A CITY BEEN RUN BY IDIOTS THAT COULDNT RUN A VILLAGE "

    I worked in the council for a brief period in the 2000s and you wouldn't believe the chaos and incompetence in there. It's an art form actually.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986


    I worked in the council for a brief period between in the 2000s and you wouldn't believe the chaos and incompetence in there. It's an art form actually.

    I see it every day snow garden.
    Clowns in charge of clowns .
    Nothing surprises me anymore regarding the muppets that run this city.
    Fiasco after fiasco .
    They wouldn't last one week in the private sector .


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭what_traffic


    "Bike lanes" misses the point that the nature of cycling is changing. We need to think more widely, because the very.meaning of "bikes" is changing.
    https://www.theguardian.com/environment/bike-blog/2019/apr/26/if-you-build-them-they-will-come-record-year-for-cycle-counters?CMP=share_btn_tw
    "
    Cycle lanes are one of the most efficient and healthiest ways of moving people. A single bike lane can transport five times as many people as a motor traffic lane, without the air and noise pollution. This is good news for everyone, whether you drive, walk or cycle – or breathe.
    "


  • Registered Users Posts: 25,940 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble


    https://www.theguardian.com/environment/bike-blog/2019/apr/26/if-you-build-them-they-will-come-record-year-for-cycle-counters?CMP=share_btn_tw
    "
    Cycle lanes are one of the most efficient and healthiest ways of moving people. A single bike lane can transport five times as many people as a motor traffic lane, without the air and noise pollution. This is good news for everyone, whether you drive, walk or cycle – or breathe.
    "

    I totally support having dedicated lanes for low-powered two and three wheelers (bicycles, tricycles, eBikes, scooters etc) - provided they're grade-separated from pedestrians and cars and buses, and don't impede bus-stops and bus-shelters. Ideally I'd like to see them on separate tracks to the left of footpaths, or in the central median space. I also support allocating *some" current car-parking areas for such vehicles.

    Because they're healthy. Because they reduce the amount of road space needed to move people around on wheels. And because there are enough pepole who want to use them for jouirneys that aren't walkable to make it worth catering for them.

    But calling such things "bike lanes" is like calling quality public-transport corridors "bus lanes". It misses the point about the evolving nature of the vehicles (Galway Glider sounds so much nicer than Gluas!), and about the essential nature of what is included.


    Oh .. and seeing as I'm calling for names: streets where I believe we should prioritise having low-powered lanes: Dublin Rd, Monivea Rd, Parkmore Rd, Doughiska Rd, Ballybane Rd, Salthill, Headford Rd. Not necessarily in that order - but the first two are places where buses I'm in are regularly held up by bicycles.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭what_traffic


    xckjoo wrote: »
    There's provision for contra flow bike lanes so they can be brought in if needs be.

    Have been in the last two City Development plans - but we still wait.....


  • Registered Users Posts: 25,058 ✭✭✭✭zell12


    The road surface above the 'fixed' water main at Bodkin junction is falling in.
    Another fixture imminent.
    :pac:

    I'm going to bet: Friday of a sunny bank holiday weekend at 4pm


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986


    Zell12 ... Same as eglinton street from brown Thomas down to courthouse .


  • Registered Users Posts: 25,058 ✭✭✭✭zell12


    Ruling on proposed Galway ring road is postponed
    An oral hearing, lasting several weeks, will take place in the city soon


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view


    zell12 wrote: »
    Ruling on proposed Galway ring road is postponed
    An oral hearing, lasting several weeks, will take place in the city soon

    It's becoming a nightmare. Just like years ago when the same type of flat earthers did everything they could to stop Mutton Island


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭what_traffic


    ?Cee?view wrote: »
    It's becoming a nightmare. Just like years ago when the same type of flat earthers did everything they could to stop Mutton Island

    Why only Nightmare now?
    Mutton Island is a not a bad example at all. But I am going to flip it as it has parallels here. Mutton Island has been a huge failure really from a Civil Engineering perspective. Cannot expand to accommodate growing City. City needs to build another waste treatment plant as a result.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo


    ?Cee?view wrote: »
    It's becoming a nightmare. Just like years ago when the same type of flat earthers did everything they could to stop Mutton Island


    It's not going to fix anything. Building more roads has been proven time and time again that it causes a greater increase in the volumes of traffic in the area. No getting around it. It's already been a monumental waste of money and will be an even greater one if it goes ahead. But people can't think beyond more roads=more better so I generally don't bother arguing the point.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view


    xckjoo wrote: »
    r so I generally don't bother arguing the point.

    Thanks!


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo


    ?Cee?view wrote: »
    Thanks!


    For what? :confused:


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view


    xckjoo wrote: »
    For what? :confused:

    for not bothering to argue the point :D


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun


    ?Cee?view wrote: »
    It's becoming a nightmare. Just like years ago when the same type of flat earthers did everything they could to stop Mutton Island

    Due process needs to be followed
    Building a road without proper public transport activation measures and routing right through many established city suburbs and scenic areas is always going to create debate and potential opposition ,
    In the meantime the relevant authorities should immediately work on additional PT works such as Park and Ride, Tuam Road bus corridor, and the 2 greenways ( Moycullen Galway, Barna Galway ) as transport options with monthly targets for activation.


  • Posts: 24,714 [Deleted User]


    xckjoo wrote: »
    It's not going to fix anything. Building more roads has been proven time and time again that it causes a greater increase in the volumes of traffic in the area. No getting around it. It's already been a monumental waste of money and will be an even greater one if it goes ahead. But people can't think beyond more roads=more better so I generally don't bother arguing the point.

    If you can’t see how vital the bypass is you are either blinded by your anti-car opinions or have a very poor understanding of galways traffic.

    It is one of the single most important and vital things neeeded for the county and city for many many years.

    It should be fast tracked as an emergeeny requirement and exempted from the majority of buracuracry that will hold it up.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,917 ✭✭✭Storm 10


    Galway City traffic is a nightmare, like posters have said the bypass is an urgent requirement to solve the traffic going from East to West and vice versa, Dublin, Cork and Limerick have Tunnels and they have had massive improvements in their traffic, nothing compares to the traffic situation in Galway and anyone that says its not required is leading a very sheltered life or just does not care what is happening here.


  • Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭cgcsb


    Storm 10 wrote: »
    Galway City traffic is a nightmare, like posters have said the bypass is an urgent requirement to solve the traffic going from East to West and vice versa, Dublin, Cork and Limerick have Tunnels and they have had massive improvements in their traffic, nothing compares to the traffic situation in Galway and anyone that says its not required is leading a very sheltered life or just does not care what is happening here.

    Or perhaps they do care and just have a more enlightened view.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep


    So there is plenty of evidence that building more roads leads to more traffic congestion ie. it doesn't fix the problem, it makes it worse.

    If you're interested here is some reading:

    https://www.citylab.com/transportation/2018/09/citylab-university-induced-demand/569455/

    https://www.wired.com/2014/06/wuwt-traffic-induced-demand/

    https://www.citymetric.com/transport/does-building-more-roads-create-more-traffic-934

    What some of these touch on is that new roads still get built but these are political decisions based on what people think they want rather than evidence or data driven. In other words we're going to waste more than a half a billion euros and probably another ten years before an actual solution is looked at because peoples feelings, opinions, 'commonsense' etc is given more credence than evidence and data.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo


    If you can’t see how vital the bypass is you are either blinded by your anti-car opinions or have a very poor understanding of galways traffic.

    It is one of the single most important and vital things neeeded for the county and city for many many years.

    It should be fast tracked as an emergeeny requirement and exempted from the majority of buracuracry that will hold it up.


    Oh yes. I forgot we are all special snowflakes in Galway where the normal rules don't apply. Never mind that every single bit of research reaches the conclusion that it's at best not needed and at worst going to increase traffic jams. Nox has a feeling though. That's why should spend millions, bypass all regulations and dig up and pave over half the countryside.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer


    Storm 10 wrote: »
    Galway City traffic is a nightmare...

    It honestly negatively impacts the quality of life of many of its residents.

    I think it can make us not bother with lots of not strictly necessary trips (like the gym, a class, running an errand to local shops) when you only get a few hours of free time a day. Do I want to waste my time with traffic? I'm becoming a hermit who relies on Amazon deliveries rather than bother shopping in the town I live in. 45 minutes, if you're lucky, to drive from one side of town to the other is miserable. I've said it before about the school enrolment process, proximity to your local school should matter and would help take cars off the road when kids go to local schools.

    I understand and reject the simplistic argument that more roads = more cars so no difference. This is basic infrastructure because we're still 30 years behind the rest of europe. Ffs, we only just got a motorway to Dublin! I don't see the motorway stuffed to the hilt just because, god forbid, we build a road. Galway needs a bypass to keep that traffic out altogether.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo


    It honestly negatively impacts the quality of life of many of its residents.

    I think it can make us not bother with lots of not strictly necessary trips (like the gym, a class, running an errand to local shops) when you only get a few hours of free time a day. Do I want to waste my time with traffic? I'm becoming a hermit who relies on Amazon deliveries rather than bother shopping in the town I live in. 45 minutes, if you're lucky, to drive from one side of town to the other is miserable. I've said it before about the school enrolment process, proximity to your local school should matter and would help take cars off the road when kids go to local schools.

    I understand and reject the simplistic argument that more roads + more cars = no difference. This is basic infrastructure because we're still 30 years behind the rest of europe. Ffs, we only just got a motorway to Dublin! I don't see the motorway stuffed to the hilt just because, god forbid, we build a road. Galway needs a bypass to keep that traffic out altogether.


    But there's only a small percentage of cars make the journey that the bypass covers. Something like 3%. There's also no major population areas west of the river so it's not like (for example) the Athlone bypass that people use going to/from Dublin.

    Honestly lads, if I thought it would help at all I'd be all for it. If only to stop hearing everyone moan about it and moan about traffic :D

    Edit: Crap, I accidentally ended up in discussion about it after my earlier statement. I'm bowing out here


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver


    xckjoo wrote:
    But there's only a small percentage of cars make the journey that the bypass covers. Something like 3%. There's also no major population areas west of the river so it's not like (for example) the Athlone bypass that people use going to/from Dublin.
    Very fair point. West of Galway City is essentially a wasteland, bog area. I know there are villages there and An Gaeltacht residents will excuse me. The overall population density of Co. Galway is something like 35/sq. km which is ridiculous in continental European standards and density West of Galway City must be even lower, so who will be going there exactly, who is going to be bypassing and what? And all that for 600M quid? Cui bono?

    Building three bridges across the Corrib, one way system in town, and either a tunnel or a bridge between Roscam and town would help much more at lower cost, if we want to focus on road building at all.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭what_traffic


    McGiver wrote: »
    Very fair point. West of Galway City is essentially a wasteland, bog area. I know there are villages there and An Gaeltacht residents will excuse me. The overall population density of Co. Galway is something like 35/sq. km which is ridiculous in continental European standards and density West of Galway City must be even lower, so who will be going there exactly, who is going to be bypassing and what? And all that for 600M quid? Cui bono?

    Building three bridges across the Corrib, one way system in town, and either a tunnel or a bridge between Roscam and town would help much more at lower cost, if we want to focus on road building at all.

    One mans wasteland is another's carbon sink. Could be valuable land down the line....
    Your argument is sound though - people from Co Galway do not want to bypass Galway City - they want to get into Galway City.
    The Population Density of the present Galway City is poor as well. Don't even need to compare against a European City. Compare against itself historically.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko


    West of Galway is a waste land??. Its not like the People west of the river actually need to cross it the river. They of course should all be forced into the city!!!!. People on the east of the river also have no need to access the West of the river.!!!! God forbid someone should live on one side of the river and work on the other side of it. Sure its all a waste land


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver


    West of Galway is a waste land??. Its not like the People west of the river actually need to cross it the river. They of course should all be forced into the city!!!!. People on the east of the river also have no need to access the West of the river.!!!! God forbid someone should live on one side of the river and work on the other side of it. Sure its all a waste land
    No offence intended but by wasteland I meant very low population density, which is a fact however you want to spin it...
    I don't disagree with the access argument of yours but last time I looked I've seen several roads going from the west to the east on the map. Who do you need more roads for? There's no density.


This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement