Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway's traffic issues

• 15-02-2019 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭

It's such a sh1tshow right now a radical solution is the only way. I'm prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt.

I've always been a fan of a one way dual carriageway, coming in Lisosban\College road and going out Bohermore\Tuam road (or the other way round).

Sounds interesting
    An ‘Inner City Access Route’ will be two-way, linking Lough Atalia to the N6, via Fairgreen Road, Bóthar Uí hEithir, Prospect Hill, Bóthar na mBan and Headford Road. Fairgreen Road is currently three lanes, including a bus lane, and is a one-way system. The bus lane will be removed and road changed to two-way.

https://connachttribune.ie/plans-for-radical-changes-to-galway-citys-traffic-flow-090/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Fairgreen Road is a one way system? Am I reading this correctly? Or will be a one way system?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,779 ✭✭✭✭flazio

It'd certainly be handy if there was a bus lane the whole way in from the Galway clinic to the coach stations. Especially for the expressways and their rivals. Not sure Irish Rail will like it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

Anyone that drives in galway every day knows it's a mess .
    It's nuts allowing on street parking ( it's all about money for city hall )and expecting roads to operate 2 way .
    Back the west is a joke . So is mill street .
    Anywhere there is a school it's chaos with drop offs and pick ups .
    All roundabouts need pulling out and rush hour cctv operated traffic lights/ management need to be installed .
    PROPER ENFORCEMENT AND SIGNAGE .... Needs to a priority .
    It needs to be done 7 days a week not the usual galway Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm bull**** .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,870 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Eglinton street is a joke with cars parking on the yellow lines while they go into the post office, yesterday morning there was a big hold up as buses and trucks tried to move but due to cars parked there was no space for two lane traffic and of course no Garda or Wardens to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

We all know of the traffic issues in general, it's not new.
    Keep this thread on topic - items proposed in the plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

Can't wait for major changes to galway traffic issues .
    Totally agree that some roads ...eglinton street / foster street should be no parking allowed .
    The main roads tru a city should be kept clear to allow traffic especially buses pass tru .
    The key to all these plans will be proper enforcement .
    Will that enforcement be there ?
    Galways record of above is extremely poor .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

The irish way is when something is inadequate you make do. Look at the parking at UCHG, despite a multistory to help, there's long lines at every paid car park so hundreds park on double yellows all around the campus because what else are people to do?

So I know what you mean about enforcement but until something proper is provided people will thumb their nose at it en masse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Johnny_BravoIII

I have no issues with traffic in Galway as I just don’t drive in the crazy 30 mins when everything is driving to work even though most could start at staggered times etc. I don’t get into the city until after 9 and have zero hold ups even crossing the city. In the evening don’t leave work till after 6 and again fly home with no issues.

I have no issues with traffic in Galway as I just don’t drive in the crazy 30 mins when everything is driving to work even though most could start at staggered times etc. I don’t get into the city until after 9 and have zero hold ups even crossing the city. In the evening don’t leave work till after 6 and again fly home with no issues.

Was going to explain the situation, but couldn't be arsed once I saw the username

• Advertisement

Bizarre.
    Returned to Galway last year after 6 years away. Its the most disappointing aspect to living here. I'm here for the foreseeable but it makes me question my decision. Galway is possibly the worst planned city in Ireland with the worst traffic. Its truly horribly with no signs of improvement. The plan to build a road through an dangan over the corrib is near- sighted and likely the end of the romantic version of Galway.

Its just another polluted cogested city with reduced quality of life for its citizens compared to many other EU cities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

Ah yes, the "I'm alright jack" school of urban planning lead cheer leader is here.

jjpep wrote: »
    Ah yes, the "I'm alright jack" school of urban planning lead cheer leader is here.

The point was that there is more to it than the usual “ban cars” or similar line that gets thrown around by some.

Build the bypass, get collective and more sensible across the board staggering of work start times as it makes a massive difference to traffic levels if everyone isn’t going at the same time. The difference in not just the city but all the traffic on roads into the city between driving the at 8:30 or driving then at 9 is massive.

Backward old school strict 9 to 5 fixed hours by many employers is a cause of a lot of the traffic in the city along with schools which again could have staggered start times to help ease the glut of traffic in the same time period.

More working from home etc is another thing that needs to be encouraged for those who can do it. If large numbers of peope were doing one day per week even from home it would ease traffic significantly.
    Bizarre.
    Returned to Galway last year after 6 years away. Its the most disappointing aspect to living here. I'm here for the foreseeable but it makes me question my decision. Galway is possibly the worst planned city in Ireland with the worst traffic. Its truly horribly with no signs of improvement. The plan to build a road through an dangan over the corrib is near- sighted and likely the end of the romantic version of Galway.

Its just another polluted cogested city with reduced quality of life for its citizens compared to many other EU cities.

I’ve had the opposite experience having moved by home in the last year, having read and listened to all the talk of traffic mon to fri in Galway for the last few years while living in a different part of the country I am very surprised how easily I am commuting in from well out the county by just avoiding peak times by 30 mins. I expected my commute to significantly longer or that I’d have to avoid peak times by longer in order to limit by dealing with traffic but it hasn’t panned out that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

The point was that there is more to it than the usual “ban cars” or similar line that gets thrown around by some.

Build the bypass, get collective and more sensible across the board staggering of work start times as it makes a massive difference to traffic levels if everyone isn’t going at the same time. The difference in not just the city but all the traffic on roads into the city between driving the at 8:30 or driving then at 9 is massive.

Backward old school strict 9 to 5 fixed hours by many employers is a cause of a lot of the traffic in the city along with schools which again could have staggered start times to help ease the glut of traffic in the same time period.

More working from home etc is another thing that needs to be encouraged for those who can do it. If large numbers of peope were doing one day per week even from home it would ease traffic significantly.

Or just get people to use more public transport to get around. Sounds easier than convincing thousands of workplaces to completely change their working habits (which they may not be in direct control of anyway). Do we stagger school starting times as well? How do we tie them in workplace starts for parents? I would assume most jobs that can be done from home already offer the option to workers so unless we mandate that people must work from home if they can, I don't think that'll change things much.

I have no problem with encouraging public transport use but I have a major problem with tactics which try to do so by various anti-car measures creating hard-ship for the many many people who public transport will never be an option for (me being one of those people).

As for my other suggestions I stand by them, many work places already operate with flexitime etc so it’s just a matter of it becoming the done thing. I don’t think you will have any difficulty in “forcing” anyone to work from home as anyone who has the option is going to use it, why wouldn’t they.

There are already some staggering of school start times, not sure about Galway city but I know there are some schools that don’t start until 9:15 or 9:30 while others start at 9 etc. I know where I was living for the past few years having the two local schools not start at the same time significantly helped traffic in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

One more time, and last I hope
    Stay on topic - the proposal in the linked article in OP.

Any posts not directly relating to article is offtopic
    Offtopic posts will be removed, so don't make them long as you will just waste your time when it's deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Are there any timelines starting to appear for this stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,276 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Yet another junction:
    A new link road between Sandy Road and Seán Mulvoy Road will instead be built.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Goofy

Are there any plans or images of this available? I can't find anything on the council website.

I went along to the Greens Galway Transport Talk last Friday. For those of you interested there is about an hour on the new transport plan. https://www.facebook.com/GreenPartyIreland/videos/373986873185076/

• Advertisement

<offtopic>

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭what_traffic

zell12 wrote: »
    Yet another junction:
    A new link road between Sandy Road and Seán Mulvoy Road will instead be built.

Not a bad idea - but states that Cemetery Cross is still to be retained as a 4 arm roundabout rather than traffic lights? This is weird considering the no of traffic controlled junctions will be all around it and also close proximity to them.

bobbyss wrote: »
    Fairgreen Road is a one way system? Am I reading this correctly? Or will be a one way system?

No TWO way. This part of the scheme is poorly thought out IMHO.
    Draws private Car traffic into the City Centre

There is a typo in the article which creates the confusion

https://connachttribune.ie/plans-for-radical-changes-to-galway-citys-traffic-flow-090/
    "
    An ‘Inner City Access Route’ will be two-way, linking Lough Atalia to the N6, via Fairgreen Road, Bóthar Uí hEithir, Prospect Hill, Bóthar na mBan and Headford Road. Fairgreen RoadBóthar Uí hEithir, is currently three lanes, including a bus lane, and is a one-way system. The bus lane will be removed and road changed to two-way.
    "

Galway City Council plan to CPO houses in Woodquay to accommodate this as well at St Brendans Ave(junction of Dyke Rd/Headford Rd)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭ratracer

Galway City Council plan to CPO houses in Woodquay to accommodate this as well at St Brendans Ave(junction of Dyke Rd/Headford Rd)

This line!!

So for any of this to work, Galway City Co need to CPO houses, I presume for demolition? In which case, this "traffic plan" will be years in the making, by the time CPO's are complete.

ratracer wrote: »
    This line!!

So for any of this to work, Galway City Co need to CPO houses, I presume for demolition? In which case, this "traffic plan" will be years in the making, by the time CPO's are complete.

Yes for demolition, that part of it could be delayed..... but owner of property might be pleased to be CPO'd. Who knows TBH.
    This junction: https://goo.gl/maps/an3SRZhaq5N2

• Registered Users Posts: 9,491 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

The article mentions the removal of car parking. From my experience of Galway there seems to be a good big of illegal parking wherever legal parking ends blocking buses and larger traffic causing tailbacks. Cutting down on parking completely to create or lengthen bus and cycle lanes should hopefully dissuade illegal parking as they'd stand out like sore thumbs and attract tow trucks and clampers.

I've said it before, Galway could be an amazing foot city with plaza's and lots of pedesrianised areas. The bad planning around the city is impossible to service with public transport, some of the areas being large housing estates of one of housing so park and ride facilities seems to be the answer.

The whole project will need bravery and ambition.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭ratracer

John_Rambo wrote: »
    The article mentions the removal of car parking.

The whole project will need bravery and ambition.

Unfortunately bravery and ambition is not something that any elected rep in Galway could ever be credited with! There is no such thing as long term planning, only whatever can get them re- elected!

Galway’s traffic nightmare and the lack of any action to relieve same should be one of the first questions asked of candidates knocking on doors in the very near future.

ratracer wrote: »
    Unfortunately bravery and ambition is not something that any elected rep in Galway could ever be credited with! There is no such thing as long term planning, only whatever can get them re- elected!

Galway’s traffic nightmare and the lack of any action to relieve same should be one of the first questions asked of candidates knocking on doors in the very near future.

Fyi, they have little to no impact on the developments of infrastructure in the city apart from a rubber stamping role

Councillors have very little power over anything much

Travelled this evening from Salthill to the Tuam road via lough Atalia at 6pm took approximately 45mins. I couldn't imagine travelling to claregalway or gort at this time. Does anybody know the approximate average commute time from/to Claregalway, Athenry, Oranmore, Gort, Spiddal, Moycullen at peak traffic?

These are all places from which people should not be commuting to the city by car (single occupant). Any transport plan which doesnt address this fact is madness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,650 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

John_Rambo wrote: »

I've said it before, Galway could be an amazing foot city with plaza's and lots of pedesrianised areas.

In ireland, a lovely plaza at 2pm can be an absolute zoo at 2am.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement