Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Incident at Roscommon hotel (asylum seekers)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

BBFAN wrote: »
    The total embarrassment for anyone who thinks this Gran Torino guy is anything but an attention seeking dole scrounger. :rolleyes:

He owns a pretty big construction business that employs multiple people, but try again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

You see I don't get anyone's argument about how people shouldn't be housed in rural areas when on any debate on the homeless issue the same people claim they should be all housed in Leitrim or wherever?

The vast majority of people in Europe don’t want large amounts of immigrants living beside them. That’s the harsh truth.

And people don’t mind being called racists or fascists anymore either. Because they’ve lost all meaning and it’s usually being uttered at them by some Kitty Holland or Fintan O’Toole wannabe.

DvIQ-9OXgAIZjJi.jpg:large

The Irish intelligentsia, 2018.

He owns a pretty big construction business that employs multiple people, but try again.

Back up to this fact please?

I find it hard to believe he does anything constructive when he has time to run around Ireland with a stupid looking mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

It's a transparent deflection trying to associate people on this thread with Gran Torino, or Turino, whatever his name is. Yep, I have heard of him - in the context of, what does this lad have to say, watch for five minutes, switch off and move on, next...just like with Gemma O'D and anyone else pushing boring conspiracies.

We are not all fcuking eegits ye know, lapping up the lads and lassies on youtube, there are plenty of people out here well able to think coherently for themselves without looking either to RTE or the 'independent media' youtubers for their script.
    So, yeah, go back and see if ye have anything better to throw up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,869 ✭✭✭enricoh

Serious amount of criticism and anger in the tweets today about that article alright.

Has she denied it?

Was reading it in the sunday times today, wonders will never cease to amaze me that the times covered it!
    "kisyombe denied that she needed to be transparent about her circumstances given that she is an election candidate"!!!
    Quite happy to talk about the evil that is direct provision not so happy to discuss lying on her application for asylum. Another spoofer here to milk us.

Everyone, watch this. All of it. This is an incredible bit of stuff.

Whatever you think about Grand Torino, the guy has fùcking balls.

How he didn't lose his temper is beyond me.
    Zorya wrote: »
    It's a transparent deflection trying to associate people on this thread with Gran Torino, or Turino, whatever his name is. Yep, I have heard of him - in the context of, what does this lad have to say, watch for five minutes, switch off and move on, next...just like with Gemma O'D and anyone else pushing boring conspiracies.

We are not all fcuking eegits ye know, lapping up the lads and lassies on youtube, there are plenty of people out here well able to think coherently for themselves without looking either to RTE or the 'independent media' youtubers for their script.
    So, yeah, go back and see if ye have anything better to throw up.

Here you go, just a couple of examples of people who think this lunatic is actually sane.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The vast majority of people in Europe don’t want large amounts of immigrants living beside them. That’s the harsh truth.

And people don’t mind being called racists or fascists anymore either. Because they’ve lost all meaning and it’s usually being uttered at them by some Kitty Holland or Fintan O’Toole wannabe.
    And that's the bloody worry for me J. The Kitty Holland or Fintan O’Toole wannabes as you describe them for the most part have really crappy, often childish arguments and fall back on the slanging match and shut down tactics in very short order and that's how the cleverer actual hardliners can make inroads.

Take that above video. Imagine you arrived from Mars and knew absolutely nothing about the subject involved, even imagine you can't speak the language, or just view it without sound, which "side" comes off as the more measured, less reactive, even "braver" for walking into that? Seriously, watch it with the sound off. I don't know the guy involved, he could well be a jackboot wearing brownshirt ranting in German in his spare room of an evening, but if he was, which optic looks better? Especially to any section of society that feels disgruntled and ignored?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 746 ✭✭✭GinAndBitter

Everyone, watch this. All of it. This is an incredible bit of stuff.

Whatever you think about Grand Torino, the guy has fùcking balls.

How he didn't lose his temper is beyond me.

He should of drop kicked Ming the merciless into the Shannon.

Here you go, just a couple of examples of people who think this lunatic is actually sane.

No, I think it was one person posting footage from the site of the protest, which as it happens I had watched earlier, because it is quite good to see these things unfold in real time without any edit to the footage. Gobshytes abounded it appeared to me.
    I may not agree with Gran Torino's pov on things - he is a bit too out there for me, but that's just because I am cautious - yet I am still glad to watch footage from events I cannot attend to get a sense of it before it is spun. And as much as I may not gel with him, if I ever hear national radio broadcast news these days, heh, you can be damn sure I don't gel with those reporters either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,648 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Its just a pity that wherever these asylum seekers are being dumped, the very same locals are the last ones to be spoken to.

Totally accept your point re. consultation with communities.
    However, the people who set fire to the hotel on two occasions moved this issue up onto the national agenda.
    It needs to be said that this "solution" is rejected by Irish people.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Are you actually reading posts or does your device have some weird translation app running?

The person you quoted said: Yep, I have heard of him - in the context of, what does this lad have to say, watch for five minutes, switch off and move on, next...just like with Gemma O'D and anyone else pushing boring conspiracies.

She then goes on to state: We are not all fcuking eegits ye know, lapping up the lads and lassies on youtube, there are plenty of people out here well able to think coherently for themselves without looking either to RTE or the 'independent media' youtubers for their script.

I quoted her again, because clearly you didn't read what was said.

She's specifically saying she thinks he's cut from the same daft cloth as anyone else pushing boring conspiracies. In what universe do you read that as support?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Are you actually reading posts or does your device have some weird translation app running?

The person you quoted said: Yep, I have heard of him - in the context of, what does this lad have to say, watch for five minutes, switch off and move on, next...just like with Gemma O'D and anyone else pushing boring conspiracies.

She then goes on to state: We are not all fcuking eegits ye know, lapping up the lads and lassies on youtube, there are plenty of people out here well able to think coherently for themselves without looking either to RTE or the 'independent media' youtubers for their script.

I quoted her again, because clearly you didn't read what was said.

She's specifically saying she thinks he's cut from the same daft cloth as anyone else pushing boring conspiracies. In what universe do you read that as support?

I can read perfectly well thanks. The poster accused me of stating that people were supporting this lunatic when they weren't so quoted some people that were supporting him.

I never said that the OP was supporting them, just stating that some people are so warped in their thinking that they are willing to support anyone who backs up their view.

That's all. Less of your patronizing attitude Wibbs, won't work on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,648 ✭✭✭✭elperello

It is when you are fighting for accommodation,school places and hospital beds like we do in west dublin

The well heeled protesters will never have that worry in their lives

I'm sure those issues will weigh as heavily on the people of Roscommon and Leitrim.
    I have no idea how "well heeled" the protesters are but their right to protest against arsonists is immutable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

It's called a wider discussion on the matter, something you clearly don't want to occur, unless it agrees with you 100%...

After all these years, your lack of understanding on this subject is shameful. You're still conflating refugees and asylum seekers and I think a lot of people are starting to lose faith in your ability to educate yourself on this topic.

The people being placed in these provision centres/hotels, that are the subject of constant arson attacks, are from Syria. Refugees taken in as part of the Irish Refugee Protection Programme. The majority of which are families with around a third of the total under 12 years old. I get the feeling that you and your friends want to discuss anything but this.

The history of Irish people taking in refugees fleeing from war torn countries stretches back further than "So about two decades. Tops." as you put it. You are displaying a shocking paucity of knowledge about this and about Irish history in general.

I can read perfectly well thanks. The poster accused me of stating that people were supporting this lunatic when they weren't so quoted some people that were supporting him.

I never said that the OP was supporting them, just stating that some people are so warped in their thinking that they are willing to support anyone who backs up their view.

The problem is there is no OBJECTIVE media. The regular media spin this the way the owners of their outlets determine. The alt-media for want of a better description are pissed off because they can see that something is wrong, and in this they are correct. It is only the radicals that get attention in the alt media, so anyone doing a centrist approach does not get the clicks.
    The only way one can possibly get any sense of what is going on (if that is even possible!) is to watch various sources. To this end I am glad that guy was there with his camera live streaming because there were no others who were not there to pat themselves on the back about how great they are rolling into a village to declare the locals to be all racists.

Zorya wrote: »
    The problem is there is no OBJECTIVE media. The regular media spin this the way the owners of their outlets determine. The alt-media for want of a better description are pissed off because they can see that something is wrong, and in this they are correct. It is only the radicals that get attention in the alt media, so anyone doing a centrist approach does not get the clicks.
    The only way one can possibly get any sense of what is going on (if that is even possible!) is to watch various sources. To this end I am glad that guy was there with his camera live streaming because there were no others who were not there to pat themselves on the back about how great they are rolling into a village to declare the locals to be all racists.

And you think he's OBJECTIVE?

Okay, now I agree with Wibbs that you are not actually reading posts. I'm not going to repeat myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,877 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Favorite moment of that video - your man hanging around in the background, and then sidling up.

'I wrote a poem'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

Ireland's fav poet was at the demonstration in Rooskey

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Just saw the rte news report about today's Roscommon protest.

They're said something like "few locals, or local reps and one MEP present" ( Ming)

Normally local county councillors would sell their souls to get on the 6 o'clock news. :pac:

dav3 wrote: »
    After all these years, your lack of understanding on this subject is shameful. You're still conflating refugees and asylum seekers and I think a lot of people are starting to lose faith in your ability to educate yourself on this topic.
    You hope you mean. As I said earlier you'd love if some were all Muslamic Rayguns, because that's about the level of opposition you appear to be able to handle, but when more measured opinions, facts and questions are put your way your answers are limited, mostly to hoping for a sniff of actual racism so you can point and loudhailer that.
    The people being placed in these provision centres/hotels, that are the subject of constant arson attacks, are from Syria. Refugees taken in as part of the Irish Refugee Protection Programme. The majority of which are families with around a third of the total under 12 years old. I get the feeling that you and your friends want to discuss anything but this.
    Again in your head. Five times on this thread I have repeatedly stated I do not condone that attack and crime. You seem to ignore this. We have discussed Syrian refugees on every single page of this thread. And we have discussed the wider implications of the migrant crisis beyond actual Syrian refugees on this thread. You seem to want the conversation to go entirely your way like an only child at his birthday party. That's not how conversations and debates work.
    The history of Irish people taking in refugees fleeing from war torn countries stretches back further than "So about two decades. Tops." as you put it. You are displaying a shocking paucity of knowledge about this and about Irish history in general.
    Really?. Man this just gets weirder and more surreal by the page.

Remember the Vietnamese "boat people"? That was worldwide news for quite a while before the distractions and short attention spans of the interwebs world. I seem to recall numbers involved were near a million(going on memory so open to correction there) of such folks on boats and rafts fleeing the shitstorm that was Vietnam after European and US powers played football with the place. And do you know how many the "Irish peeeeple" took in? A couple of hundred. Not thousands, hundreds. And only after international pressure was brought to bear.

The Hungarian crisis of the 1950's? Took a couple of hundred in then too, under duress and treated them so well the vast majority buggered off for the US. When other Iron Curtain refugees fled? As the Americans say: None. Zip. Nada.

World War Two? De Valera finally accepted around one hundred Jewish kids fleeing Europe and he had to go against the wishes of his party to do so(to be fair many of the countries of the world refused Jews too. Not exactly a glowing period that one).

The actual historical facts of our welcoming refugees and immigrants of any stripe is completely at odds with your apparent fairyland notions of Irish history and welcome. And yet you reckon I'm the one with a "shocking paucity of knowledge about this"? You really are living in a parallel universe.

What on earth is this supposed to show? That the loonies are okay?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

I watched that Grand Torino video and I have to say, the behaviour of the “ anti facist “ people was utterly unacceptable. So called liberals acting like real fascists.
    Nothing more than a shower of illiberal liberals.

I don't think any Irish people see him as objective. Nobody takes people like him serious. When you start pushing conspiracy theories such as QAnon.

QAnon is a far-right conspiracy theory detailing a supposed secret plot by an alleged "deep state" against U.S. President Donald Trump and his supporters…

…accused numerous liberal Hollywood actors, politicians, and high-ranking officials of engaging in an international child sex trafficking ring, and that Donald Trump feigned collusion with Russians to enlist Robert Mueller to join him in exposing the ring and preventing a coup d'état by Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton and George Soros.

One of the main reasons people call him and people who share his videos as nutters.

Then they start pushing "Irexit", wanting Ireland to leave the EU with the only plan after that to join the UK in a glorious union sticking it up to Europe.

One of the main reasons people call him and people who share his videos as tans.

In other news today, apparently some people turned up in Rooskey accusing the locals of being racist, putting up posters and trying to pin it on the anti-racist demonstrators.

statesaver wrote: »
    I watched that Grand Torino video and I have to say, the behaviour of the “ anti facist “ people was utterly unacceptable. So called liberals acting like real fascists.
    Nothing more than a shower of illiberal liberals.

And what did you think of the behaviour of so called "Grand Torino"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭QuintusFabius

Lovely behaviour from the refugee loving crowd here.

Facists.

Yep, Neo Fascists, the irony of them throwing about that word willy nilly, while they are there assaulting him and blocking his camera, not letting him film it, he was not being a disturbing influence at all.
    Also, seriously how many people there were actually from the area?

The actual historical facts of our welcoming refugees and immigrants of any stripe is completely at odds with your apparent fairyland notions of Irish history and welcome. And yet you reckon I'm the one with a "shocking paucity of knowledge about this"? You really are living in a parallel universe.

Jesus christ shocking stuff. You're embarrassing yourself here. Keep reading, you'll get there eventually. You've covered about half so far.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭QuintusFabius

Are you actually trying to defend that idiot?

Yeah how dare he not have an opinion the same to yours, let's just open the borders all are welcome.
    Watch the country go down the toilet if these total nutters have their way.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement