Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk X: The Long Hard Road to a Semi. MOD WARNING POSTS #1, #1474, #5707

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Rockbeast2

Toner walked like he was wearing a moonboot and starring in a The Police video.

Watch the Wales/Ireland game back from when, IMO, he hobbles on.

The Irish camp cannot say anything about a player's fitness - GDPR - that would affect him negotiating a contract with a province.

I hope Big Dev plays for years more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    It's a long time since Ireland wanted rain for a game....we are much better in the dry!!!

What, like since every game against Wales in Cardiff, roof open?

* I'll never forget the day I saw Dev make his debut in Donnybrook.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyxEIc0eHLE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

What, like since every game against Wales in Cardiff, roof open?

That was Joe making a point, which back fired

Wales wanted the roof closed in the previous 6 nations match and Ireland agreed...then Wales soaked the pitch so it was like playing in the rain anyway

The noise in Cardiff when roofis closed is incredible so Joe's point was if your going to soak the pitch anyway might as well leave the roof open.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Why what's this humidity factor talk? Ireland is quite a humid country, so you'd think that that type of weather would be to our advantage.

Ireland is not humid, certainly not compared to Asian humid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

stephen_n wrote: »
    Ireland is not humid, certainly not compared to Asian humid.

Honestly I have no idea who it is relevant for. The SH countries are just coming out of their winter. They're more used to it generally, but are they more used to it now? I also think the knockout games will have cooled down a lot. Typical tokyo temps by that stage in October aren't far off here

* Don't believe this hard/fast/humid grass BS.

It's a nonsense.

Ireland must best South Africa upon a quarter-final. That's it. That's our World Cup. Everything else is PR and a desperate reach for clicks.

We'll beat Scotland by 14-31 points.

Japan by more.

Ha Ha

All natural, I'm sure.ie

* The good news is, their dicks look like very small walnuts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJ4qF0QkcT4

^^ That's scandalous.

Shared it with a couple Doctor/Consultant friends, they laughed.

LiveStrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

errlloyd wrote: »
    Honestly I have no idea who it is relevant for. The SH countries are just coming out of their winter. They're more used to it generally, but are they more used to it now? I also think the knockout games will have cooled down a lot. Typical tokyo temps by that stage in October aren't far off here

Probably only relevant for Japan really, maybe Samoa too but less so as most of the players don’t play at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Gonad wrote: »
    I have a theory re Dev Toner .

I think he brought Klein for the group games . There is more than likely going to be an injury to a lock at some stage before the 1/4 finals .

Dev is Joes most capped player and knows the calls and everything inside out .Klein is still so new so rather than leave him behind and have him miss out on another month of learning everything he has brought him along to keep him up to speed . If there is an injury to a lock Dev can come straight in and won’t miss a beat .

Also come knock out rugby the lineout is going to be essential for Ireland to progress. If there is no genuine injury to a lock before the last group game one of either Beirne or Klein will pull up with an injury in training and Dev will be out a week or so before the 1/4 final and will probably start . I expect this to happen even sooner if the lineout is not up to scratch in the first 2games .

Don’t quote me on that

Outlandish theory here but maybe Schmidt believes that Jean Kleyn is a better player than Devin Toner.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭willit

Also come knock out rugby the lineout is going to be essential for Ireland to progress. If there is no genuine injury to a lock before the last group game one of either Beirne or Klein will pull up with an injury in training and Dev will be out a week or so before the 1/4 final and will probably start . I expect this to happen even sooner if the lineout is not up to scratch in the first 2games .

I don't know if this is serious or a joke??? I hope it's the latter, otherwise you're condoning an Irish international player at a rugby world cup faking an injury to get another player out. The last time something like that happened in an Irish context it was called blood gate and a head coach, quite rightly, lost his job and all credibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,680 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Could replace any lock or back row except probably VdF with Toner should there be a bad injury, as Beirne can switch to 6/8 cover in that case.

I think he brought Klein for the group games . There is more than likely going to be an injury to a lock at some stage before the 1/4 finals .

Dev is Joes most capped player and knows the calls and everything inside out .Klein is still so new so rather than leave him behind and have him miss out on another month of learning everything he has brought him along to keep him up to speed . If there is an injury to a lock Dev can come straight in and won’t miss a beat .

Don’t quote me on that

Not saying Kleyn or toner are better worse

But Toner has struggled with injury since earlier this year

I was in Egypt in 45 degree heat, believe me when I tell you that it's a bloody humid and harder to breath in Ireland at 22 degrees. The humidity will not be a factor.

https://www.currentresults.com/Weather/Ireland/humidity-annual.php

I don’t doubt the knowledge of poster on boards

But first interview with the team and

“Ireland hit the pitch this morning for their first training session in Japan. We hear from Tadhg Beirne and Niall Scannell as they get to grips with the humidity and look ahead to the first game.“

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,030 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Really hope the weather doesn’t feck up any of the games in any pool. If it’s cancelled due to a typhoon and shared points, could be a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭andymx11

Just looking at some of the Irish Rugby Instagram stories from this morning - their training kit is the regular ‘sponsored’ version with no RWC logo- do they only have to wear the WC merchandise for the actual games?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,324 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

pc7 wrote: »
    Really hope the weather doesn’t feck up any of the games in any pool. If it’s cancelled due to a typhoon and shared points, could be a nightmare.
    How about this for a scenario

South Africa beat New Zealand,
    Italy lose to SA in a close result to a heavily rotated SA team

Italy and NZ win all the rest of their games

the Italy v NZ game is called off due to bad weather

This would mean the results of Pool B would come down to points differences against Namibia and Canada.

I hereby predict a World Cup QF as Ireland vs Italy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

Don’t quote me on that

I could see Dev being called up - one of the 31 will def get injured (although I hope they don't). Provided its not a position like scrum half where we only have 2 options Dev could be called up esp if line out shaky. I can definitely see him being in the squad for the quarter finals.

The chances of all the selected locks and back rowers being injury free by the quarter finals is low. I suspect James Ryan will be wrapped in cotton wool after the Scotland or Japan game - without JR we wont be beating any team in QFs

• Advertisement

Dev is one player. If we get an injury then we have:
    Marmion, Dev, McGrath, Murphy, R Byrne, Addison etc all available to fly in

People complaining about Joe not testing players, that is some back up squad after the 31 players.

P.S before everyone goes off on one Iam sure other players are available, I just cant think off top of head

Also seems England think humidity might be an issue....of course Eddie Jones wouldn't know, oh wait.......

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/extreme-humidity-japan-gives-england-20060403?fbclid=IwAR0H9D4HXb_FT0_G-21CmtfN0zyUAEO_zwcy02ZSjbJopeYynGE_nX03xcE

:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Dev is one player. If we get an injury then we have:
    Marmion, Dev, McGrath, Murphy, R Byrne, Addison etc all available to fly in

People complaining about Joe not testing players, that is some back up squad after the 31 players.

P.S before everyone goes off on one Iam sure other players are available, I just cant think off top of head

McGrath
    Herring
    Bealham
    Dillane
    Toner
    Murphy
    O donnell
    X
    Marmion
    Byrne
    Kearney
    Scannell
    Addison
    X
    Haley

Not a terrible team of players involved in the preseason not traveling.

Wegians89 wrote: »
    McGrath
    Herring
    Bealham
    Dillane
    Toner
    Murphy
    O donnell
    X
    Marmion
    Byrne
    Kearney
    Scannell
    Addison
    X
    Haley

That's without really looking at the U20 squad either and some of the young Munster/Leinster/Ulster/Connacht players.....

I would have Balacoune on the wing by the way :P:P:P:P I think that is the spelling

• Registered Users Posts: 67,431 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Also seems England think humidity might be an issue....of course Eddie Jones wouldn't know, oh wait.......

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/extreme-humidity-japan-gives-england-20060403?fbclid=IwAR0H9D4HXb_FT0_G-21CmtfN0zyUAEO_zwcy02ZSjbJopeYynGE_nX03xcE

:-)

Is he talking about humidity or humility? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

Wegians89 wrote: »
    McGrath
    Herring
    Bealham
    Dillane
    Toner
    Murphy
    O donnell
    X
    Marmion
    Byrne
    Kearney
    Scannell
    Addison
    X
    Haley

You coulda stretched to the full 15 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭shootermacg

I don’t doubt the knowledge of poster on boards

But first interview with the team and

“Ireland hit the pitch this morning for their first training session in Japan. We hear from Tadhg Beirne and Niall Scannell as they get to grips with the humidity and look ahead to the first game.“

So what are their thoughts on the subject then?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭Wegians89

JJJackal wrote: »
    You coulda stretched to the full 15 :)

Couldn’t think of any other players who were in preseason with Ireland. You could throw in jack o donoghue or deegan at 8 and Adam Byrne, sweetnam on the wing too and they wouldn’t let you down

• Registered Users Posts: 11,315 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Rumours about an injury already. Player could be homeward bound

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Rumours about an injury already. Player could be homeward bound

Thanks for the info

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement