Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk X: The Long Hard Road to a Semi. MOD WARNING POSTS #1, #1474, #5707

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭guapos

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    It’s a 6 day turn around and expect extreme humidity for both games, Japan have an additional day and have an easier opener

Rinse and repeat would have half the team dead on their legs in the first half....Japan are going to try run Ireland off the pitch

Japan beating Ireland would be a bigger coup than SA 4 years ago. We are ranked #1 FFS

I honestly think there is a real risk of finishing 3rd in the group. Just a risk tho. I'm sure we will have the right selection, be 100% fresh and have the winning mentality for Scotland. Will still have my fingers crossed

Do you really think there's a chance we'll come third? All logic would say that we'll win the group and at worst come 2nd, 3rd is just taking the piss

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Rockbeast2

A lot of talk about Ireland squad in media this week; is it the best ever?

MK wrote it best, but he called nothing out...

There is every chance that this is the Irish bench in a quarter-final.

Imagine this bench being unleashed after 50/60 minutes V bnz or sa...

16: Cronin
    17: Kilcoyne
    18: Porter
    19: Beirne
    20: Stander
    21: McGrath
    22: Carbery
    23: Ringrose/Conway/Larmour

* I will try to photoshop Joe as Maximus saying:

"On my command, unleash hell."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Rockbeast2 wrote: »

I think ROG said it best, it’s the 31 that will win the WC not the 15.....if we get hit with injuries like 2015 then we are in trouble....We will lose players but hopefully not critical and not many

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

I think ROG said it best, it’s the 31 that will win the WC not the 15.....if we get hit with injuries like 2015 then we are in trouble....We will lose players but hopefully not critical and not many

No. For Ireland, there are only 15 who can win it. We saw that the last time out, when shorn stupidly of 4 key players, we flopped. Sure, you need a second 15 to win the walkover games. We don't have depth and never will, to have 31 first team level players. We barely have 15 at best. Our WC will be defined by how the first 15 deliver or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

I would love to share your enthusiasm, but if you think that the Boks or AB’s will be bricking themselves at that bench, you are mistaken methinks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

You seem a small bit obsessed with quoting my every post and then trawling back over internet to find ones......

Other people post on the forum as well, you can reply to their posts

No other poster seems to post the same amount of sometimes hypocritical, sometimes nonsensical material tho.

In any case, back to the rugby, I just don't see us making the 8+ changes that you're suggesting between Scotland and Japan. Just finished listening to Murray Kinsella on Under the Sticks and his take is there may be some changes in the back-row or midfield, but that's about it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I'd say it's very close to our strongest squad ever, while perhaps not being our strongest starting 15. I'd say the set of players who didn't make the 31 are certainly our strongest ever tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

No. For Ireland, there are only 15 who can win it. We saw that the last time out, when shorn stupidly of 4 key players, we flopped. Sure, you need a second 15 to win the walkover games. We don't have depth and never will, to have 31 first team level players. We barely have 15 at best. Our WC will be defined by how the first 15 deliver or not.

But the point is that this time around it _should_ be different to last time.
    You only have to see the bickering on this thread to realize that the second 15 are a lot closer to the first 15 than last time out!

IMO There isn't a first 15 - but rather a preferable 15 depending on the team in front of you...

• Subscribers Posts: 41,264 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

In my opinion there are clear first choices at 1, 3, 4, 9, 10, and 15.

Every other position is arguable with the gap between the players closer than ever.

I've left the wingers out because any choice two from earls, Stockdale, larmour and Conway is potent, as they all have different strengths and weaknesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

sydthebeat wrote: »

Every other position is arguable with the gap between the players closer than ever.

I've left the wingers out because any choice two from earls, Stockdale, larmour and Conway is potent, as they all have different strengths and weaknesses.

Which of those 6 would you worry most about? For me its probably 15... (assuming no fitness issues)

• Advertisement

schmoo2k wrote: »
    Which of those 6 would you worry most about? For me its probably 15... (assuming no fitness issues)

Assuming no fitness issues... If kearney is fit he plays. Again, this is a guy who has played every minute of two grand slams.

Yes, it's definitely the biggest issue if he goes down, and to be honest personally I would have been honing joey carbery as his next replacement, but management have put their time into larmour as the next off the rank. Imo there's little between Conway and larmour though.

I don't want to see the Henshaw experiment repeated during the rwc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

I’d think Larmour doesn’t have enough experience at 15 to play against any of the top teams. They would all look to exploit his positioning and fielding.
    If RobK is not available for any of the KO matches they will probably bring in Addison and he would go straight in at 15.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

I'd say Earls is absolutely nailed on and Stockdale is 80-90% to start. Not that Conway and Larmour are that far behind but I'd be surprised to see either in the first XV.

I don't think this first XV or the wider squad is any better than 2015 tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 17,767 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Assuming no fitness issues... If kearney is fit he plays. Again, this is a guy who has played every minute of two grand slams.

Yes, it's definitely the biggest issue if he goes down, and to be honest personally I would have been honing joey carbery as his next replacement, but management have put their time into larmour as the next off the rank. Imo there's little between Conway and larmour though.

I don't want to see the Henshaw experiment repeated during the rwc

Another reason why I'm surprised Addison didn't go.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I’d think Larmour doesn’t have enough experience at 15 to play against any of the top teams. They would all look to exploit his positioning and fielding.
    If RobK is not available for any of the KO matches they will probably bring in Addison and he would go straight in at 15.

I'm pretty sure a player has to be ruled out of the tournament to bring a replacement out, so not being available for a match wouldn't count.

bilston wrote: »
    Another reason why I'm surprised Addison didn't go.

From all reports Addison was on the plane. Even the team that leaked had him. All the press had him included.

From what I heard Addison picked up another injury, just a niggle or something and that is why Farrell jumped him into the squad. Hence why when it was announced the only change was Farrell for Addison.

As mentioned a few times, players will be injuryed so the likes of Addison will be ready and waiting to go over if required.

Addison has had a small run of injuries so that didn't help. Even at start of preseason games he had an injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

I'm pretty sure a player has to be ruled out of the tournament to bring a replacement out, so not being available for a match wouldn't count.

If a player is injured and ruled out for one match the team can choose to replace them as an injured player in the squad.

But the injured player can then not rejoin the squad if they recover.

They are replaced completely in the squad and therefore they must leave the team hotel, not participate in any training sessions etc.

So if its a Knock out game, If the coach feels he needs a specific replacement or they wont win that game anyway then he can replace the player. But he gambles that in the next knock out game that the player would be fit for he wont have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Tomtom364 wrote: »
    If a player is injured and ruled out for one match the team can choose to replace them as an injured player in the squad.

But the injured player can then not rejoin the squad if they recover.

They are replaced completely in the squad and therefore they must leave the team hotel, not participate in any training sessions etc.

So if its a Knock out game, If the coach feels he needs a specific replacement or they wont win that game anyway then he can replace the player. But he gambles that in the next knock out game that the player would be fit for he wont have them.

The trickiest part of replacing a player is you can't replace a suspended player.

Makes the 2 scrumhalves thing a bit worrying.

If Murray gets a tackle badly wrong and shoulders a fella in the head and gets himself a 6 week ban, we only have 1 scrumhalf for the entire tournament.

Get to that situation and another back will have "hurt himself falling down the stairs" to be conveniently replaced by Marmion

"Try and make it a clean break, will ya?"
    - Escape to Victory

Id say Earlsy would offer himself up for the cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

The trickiest part of replacing a player is you can't replace a suspended player.

Makes the 2 scrumhalves thing a bit worrying.

If Murray gets a tackle badly wrong and shoulders a fella in the head and gets himself a 6 week ban, we only have 1 scrumhalf for the entire tournament.

Get to that situation and another back will have "hurt himself falling down the stairs" to be conveniently replaced by Marmion

Play Chris Farrell there.
    Good passer of the ball. Would terrify opposing halfbacks with his break potential.
    Be a bitta craic.

In reality I imagine Carbery would have the closest skill set to step in as a reserve scrumhalf if needed.

• Advertisement

Carbery is officially the third SH

• Registered Users Posts: 13,039 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I would say in Schmit's head there are a lot more nailed on starters, bolded are shoe-ins imo. Henderson should be too and I hope he is. Centres are Aki+1. Despite the fact he's been better for the entire year Conan won't start imo. Everything else is settled.

Team that I think will be picked for Scotland

Healy
    Best
    Furlong
    Ryan

Henderson
    POM
    VdF
    Stander
    Murray
    Sexton
    Earls
    Aki

Henshaw
    Stockdale
    Kearney

I'd be very surprised if I'm out by more than 2 players there. Just the 11 of them started the game against England which is a pretty clear concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

Serious rain forecast for Yokohama next wend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Auldloon wrote: »
    Serious rain forecast for Yokohama next wend.

Would be good for IRE

Would be good for IRE

Operation Typhoon
    Genius Joe has tailored a game plan perfect for rain
    https://youtu.be/OKuRZBe0GJI?t=593
    Super Typhoon Trami - Sep Last year

Would be good for IRE

It's a long time since Ireland wanted rain for a game....we are much better in the dry!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,767 ✭✭✭✭bilston

From all reports Addison was on the plane. Even the team that leaked had him. All the press had him included.

From what I heard Addison picked up another injury, just a niggle or something and that is why Farrell jumped him into the squad. Hence why when it was announced the only change was Farrell for Addison.

As mentioned a few times, players will be injuryed so the likes of Addison will be ready and waiting to go over if required.

Addison has had a small run of injuries so that didn't help. Even at start of preseason games he had an injury.

He starts for Ulster tomorrow against Glasgow, he probably needs to get through 80 minutes and then I'd expect him to be the next cab off the rank for the backs.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Rockbeast2

My 175/1 bet (it used to be 256/1)

Discuss and be disgusted:

Russia (+40.0)
    10/11
    Australia v Fiji - Handicap Betting
    Australia (-15.0)
    10/11
    France v Argentina - Handicap Betting
    France (-2.0)
    10/11
    New Zealand v South Africa - Handicap Betting
    New Zealand (-6.0)
    10/11
    Italy v Namibia - Handicap Betting
    Namibia (+30.0)
    10/11
    Ireland v Scotland - Handicap Betting
    Ireland (-9.0)
    10/11
    England v Tonga - Handicap Betting
    Tonga (+39.0)
    10/11
    Wales v Georgia - Handicap Betting
    Georgia (+27.0)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

How many players have incurred bans while playing for Ireland under Joe Schmidt?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Gonad

I have a theory re Dev Toner .

I think he brought Klein for the group games . There is more than likely going to be an injury to a lock at some stage before the 1/4 finals .

Dev is Joes most capped player and knows the calls and everything inside out .Klein is still so new so rather than leave him behind and have him miss out on another month of learning everything he has brought him along to keep him up to speed . If there is an injury to a lock Dev can come straight in and won’t miss a beat .

Also come knock out rugby the lineout is going to be essential for Ireland to progress. If there is no genuine injury to a lock before the last group game one of either Beirne or Klein will pull up with an injury in training and Dev will be out a week or so before the 1/4 final and will probably start . I expect this to happen even sooner if the lineout is not up to scratch in the first 2games .

Don’t quote me on that

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement