Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk X: The Long Hard Road to a Semi. MOD WARNING POSTS #1, #1474, #5707

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

He will have to start his best 15 v Scotland (whatever that 15 is) and rinse and repeat for the Japan match.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,438 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Jack McGrath motm. wa wa wee wa

O'Driscoll, O'Connell, Heaslip, D'arcy etc...seems so long ago now, but was only 2013.

30 minutes on the clock against Wales. Simmons picks from the base of the scum, swats Murray and is tackled forming a new breakdown - fast ball.

Welsh hooker picks and goes - look at the tackle from Kleyn. Didn't notice it first viewing. Wales lose momentum and get slow ball.

RTE player if anyone doesn't have a link (against the head highlights).

Say Raynal was having flashbacks when Parks ran into his feet. Henshaw bit rusty leaving the gap between he and Aki.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

30 minutes on the clock against Wales. Simmons picks from the base of the scum, swats Murray and is tackled forming a new breakdown - fast ball.

Welsh hooker picks and goes - look at the tackle from Kleyn. Didn't notice it first viewing. Wales lose momentum and get slow ball.

Say Raynal was having flashbacks when Parks ran into his feet. Henshaw bit rusty leaving the gap between he and Aki.

That is the kinda stop Kleyn will give you all afternoon. And fairly quick reaction to make it as well as Tipuric was trying to prevent Kleyn and Ryan for getting into position aswell.

Was it Raynal that had his leg badly injured by a player crashing into it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

Tomtom364 wrote: »
    That is the kinda stop Kleyn will give you all afternoon. And fairly quick reaction to make it as well as Tipuric was trying to prevent Kleyn and Ryan for getting into position aswell.

Was it Raynal that had his leg badly injured by a player crashing into it?

Yes, suffered a leg break refereeing in the Top14 a few years back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Yes, suffered a leg break refereeing in the Top14 a few years back.

Suffered the same leg break in the most traumatic event I ever hope to experience.

Watched that footage a few years ago and got horrendous flashbacks.

Wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy

Suffered the same leg break in the most traumatic event I ever hope to experience.

Watched that footage a few years ago and got horrendous flashbacks.

Wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy

I absolutely obliterated my left arm in a bike fall two years ago. Three breaks, both bones in forearm shattered.

Won a game of player unknown on pc two weeks after the fall whilst in a cast and with limited movement and power in fingers. Modern medicine is a wonder!

It's certainly made me more sympathetic to sports injury, recovery was hard work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Just watched that on the iPlayer, the next phase was HAdleigh Parkes' try, who would take the blame for that?
    At the time I remember thinking that was way too easy but perhaps Parkes took an exceptional line.
    Looking at it again I think Henshaw had a howler of a missed tackle.

Just watched that on the iPlayer, the next phase was HAdleigh Parkes' try, who would take the blame for that?
    At the time I remember thinking that was way too easy but perhaps Parkes took an exceptional line.
    Looking at it again I think Henshaw had a howler of a missed tackle.

Henshaw came off the line but went for the wrong man so I'd say he's to blame. I think Aki was maybe a bit tight to the ruck also but you can't ignore the timing of Parks and quality of the line he ran. He was flying so no guarantee Henshaw stops him there either way.

A 5m scrum is as good an attacking platform as you get, we held them up for a few phases and I think we were expecting more pick and goes. It was just a well worked try.

Interesting that Wales first break down the right wing was almost exactly how we scored against the ABs in November. Gatland flattering Schmid with that one!

Kearney sharp as a fcuking tac to spot it so early.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

cadaliac wrote: »
    He will have to start his best 15 v Scotland (whatever that 15 is) and rinse and repeat for the Japan match.

It’s a 6 day turn around and expect extreme humidity for both games, Japan have an additional day and have an easier opener

Rinse and repeat would have half the team dead on their legs in the first half....Japan are going to try run Ireland off the pitch

I expect a new front row at least, probably centre partnership etc...

• Advertisement

aloooof wrote: »
    Fair enough. Personally, I don't think posts like the following amounts to getting behind the squad, but there you go.

You seem a small bit obsessed with quoting my every post and then trawling back over internet to find ones......

Other people post on the forum as well, you can reply to their posts

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    It’s a 6 day turn around and expect extreme humidity for both games, Japan have an additional day and have an easier opener

Rinse and repeat would have half the team dead on their legs in the first half....Japan are going to try run Ireland off the pitch

Japan beating Ireland would be a bigger coup than SA 4 years ago. We are ranked #1 FFS

I honestly think there is a real risk of finishing 3rd in the group. Just a risk tho. I'm sure we will have the right selection, be 100% fresh and have the winning mentality for Scotland. Will still have my fingers crossed

Japan beating Ireland would be a bigger coup than SA 4 years ago. We are ranked #1 FFS

I honestly think there is a real risk of finishing 3rd in the group. Just a risk tho. I'm sure we will have the right selection, be 100% fresh and have the winning mentality for Scotland. Will still have my fingers crossed

Yes Japan beating Ireland would be a bigger coup, so not sure why your FFS is about?

Playing the same 15 players with just 6 days rest after a game in that humidity would be a huge risk, as I posted Japan will try to run the legs off ireland

I’m not sure where the finishing 3rd in group is coming from....Ireland are in competition to win, not get out of the group

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Y

Playing the same 15 players with just 6 days rest after a game in that humidity would be a huge risk, as I posted Japan will try to run the legs off ireland

the high temps have already broken somewhat

the forecast for now is 20-24 degrees for both games. could still be humid of course but nothing like the 33-38 or recent times it would seem

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

The amount of comments over the last few weeks fearing we might come third is as weird as it is tiresome at this point. The doomsday stuff has no basis in fact at all. There is less chance of us coming third than in any other group. We got a gift of a group. If people can’t be optimistic about our group chances this time round they never will.
    Anything is possible of course. But living your life fearing for a freakishly unlikely event that will almost definitely not happen is no way to enjoy a once in four year event

• Registered Users Posts: 4,843 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Playing the same 15 players with just 6 days rest after a game in that humidity would be a huge risk

Why what's this humidity factor talk? Ireland is quite a humid country, so you'd think that that type of weather would be to our advantage.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,265 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Why what's this humidity factor talk? Ireland is quite a humid country, so you'd think that that type of weather would be to our advantage.

Absolutely, and our pressure game in that humidity works in our favour too

Bridge93 wrote: »
    The amount of comments over the last few weeks fearing we might come third is as weird as it is tiresome at this point. The doomsday stuff has no basis in fact at all. There is less chance of us coming third than in any other group. We got a gift of a group. If people can’t be optimistic about our group chances this time round they never will.
    Anything is possible of course. But living your life fearing for a freakishly unlikely event that will almost definitely not happen is no way to enjoy a once in four year event

I've half the match thread for the World cup final already done. When I find out who Ireland will be playing I'll write the rest!

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/ireland-using-algarve-base-to-acclimatise-ahead-of-rugby-world-cup-1.3990994

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Bridge93 wrote: »

Hear hear.
    We could jumble up any team at random, and we would win the last 3 group games. They just aren't real matches in any true competitive context. Training games, rest games, match fitness minutes games, combination testing exercises games.
    The Scotland game matters little more. We will be playing NZ or SA in the first game that will define the success or not of this WC, and whether Joe can indeed crack this heretofore unbreachable test. He has cracked most of them, so we must be optimistic he can deliver one last time for us.
    But the first four outings matter diddly squiff. Footnotes in the history of Irish rugby.
    Warp speed to the semi final Mr Schmidt!

• Advertisement

I was in Egypt in 45 degree heat, believe me when I tell you that it's a bloody humid and harder to breath in Ireland at 22 degrees. The humidity will not be a factor.

https://www.currentresults.com/Weather/Ireland/humidity-annual.php

The level of fitness these players are in and the type of exertion of rugby should see full recovery in 2 and at most 3 days.

Recovering from knocks and bangs can take a bit longer - but outside of this there is absolutely no issue with two games in six days.

These temperatures are not problematic at all. Expert nutritionists are accompanying the team and I'd be amazed if any of the players run into difficulty here.

Let put it this way

Since Joe arrived in Ireland
    2011 - Heineken Cup
    2012 - Heineken Cup
    2013 - Amblin Cup, Pro 12
    2014 - 6 nations
    2015 - 6 nations
    2016 - First NZ win
    2017 - Rested
    2018 - Grand Slam, Tour win in Australia
    2019 -???

It was mentioned on the podcast that Joe and Sexton said they tried things in the 6 nations because of the 3 out of 5, I stopped for a min to release Ireland had won 3 out of the previous 5 6 nations. It's now 3 out of 6.

For people complaining about Joe.....look at that list above and how impressive is that for Irish rugby.....as far as I am concerned that is incredible.

Ireland are going to the WC to win it, not get out of the group!!!

• Subscribers Posts: 41,265 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Remember as well though that Japan generally don't play around this time of year in competition either.

It will be a leveller for all teams.

The level of fitness these players are in and the type of exertion of rugby should see full recovery in 2 and at most 3 days.

Recovering from knocks and bangs can take a bit longer - but outside of this there is absolutely no issue with two games in six days.

Yeah, SA absolutely mullered Japan playing nothing but box kicks. We'll absolutely destroy them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Good luck to Japan running us off the park with 15% possession.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Ah I expect Japan to be good actually but we will absolutely win every game in the group.
    If we have no key injuries then I think it's 60/40 for us against SA. Of course anything can happen

Kilcoyne absolutely emptied Ken Owens at full time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Yes Japan beating Ireland would be a bigger coup, so not sure why your FFS is about?

I’m not sure where the finishing 3rd in group is coming from....Ireland are in competition to win, not get out of the group

Getting the coup against the world #1 team. It would never live down

Finishing 3rd is a possibility, not a probability

BUT, I did say just a risk tho. I'm confident Joe has it right. Cant help worry about the Japanese banana skin. I lived out there so usually root for them. Just watch SA v Japan RWC2015. Cant wait. 8 more sleeps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Getting the coup against the world #1 team. It would never live down

Finishing 3rd is a possibility, not a probability

BUT, I did say just a risk tho. I'm confident Joe has it right. Cant help worry about the Japanese banana skin. I lived out there so usually root for them. Just watch SA v Japan RWC2015. Cant wait. 8 more sleeps
    Its not very likely though. It would require very big shot for Ireland to finish 3rd and not qualify from group.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement