Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk X: The Long Hard Road to a Semi. MOD WARNING POSTS #1, #1474, #5707

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

The 2020 tour is to Australia, there won't be a mass influx of young players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Jewelers

I'm hearing that Kilcoyne being selected ahead of Jack McGrath is happening to "incentivise" McGrath to move to Ulster.

ah cop on

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Heymans

The 2020 tour is to Australia, there won't be a mass influx of young players.

It all depends on Farrell selection policy and who is in his back room with him. If Lancaster is there I wouldn't rule out seeing some green youngsters but I get the feeling Farrell likes his bisch bosch players and will be fielding beefy older teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

aloooof wrote: »
    Agreed, but that's entirely different from what ShefWedFan was suggesting; that Earls himself would retire to lengthen his Munster career.

I don't think it is crazy idea, at next renewal Earls will not get a central contract. So take himself out to get some proper rest during the season and I am sure Declan Kidney would love ot give him a bit of a payday over in UK for 1-2 seasons.....

I don't think any Irish or Munster fan would begrudge him

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Some Yoke

Quinn Roux or Henderson for Italy? Rouxs jersey to lose for the time being I think, the Henderson Ryan combo wasn't great in the line out in their last outing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

2tprf1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

flatface wrote: »
    2tprf1.jpg
    For those who dont go into club thread....

lots AIL games on this weekend for those who want a rugby fix
    All Saturday 2.30 unless stated otherwise
    1A
    Cork Con v Clontarf, Trinity v UCC, Garryowen v Terenure, Lansdowne v Shannon, UCD v Young Munster

1B
    St Marys v Naas, Ballynahinch v Old Wesley, Malone v Banbridge, Old Belvedere v Ballymena, Armagh v Buccaneers

2A
    Friday 8pm
    Nenagh v Old Crescent, UL Bohs v Cashel
    Saturday
    Blackrock v Dolphin, Galwegians v Highfield, Queens v Navan
    2B
    Belfast Quins v Rainey Old Boys, Dungannon v Wanderers, Barnhall v Corinthians, Sligo v Skerries, Sundays Well v Greystones
    2C
    Bangor v Seapoint, Malahide v Tullamore, Midleton v Ballina, Omagh v Bruff, Thomond v City of Derry

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

For those who dont go into club thread....

lots AIL games on this weekend for those who want a rugby fix
    All Saturday 2.30 unless stated otherwise
    1A
    Cork Con v Clontarf, Trinity v UCC, Garryowen v Terenure, Lansdowne v Shannon, UCD v Young Munster

1B
    St Marys v Naas, Ballynahinch v Old Wesley, Malone v Banbridge, Old Belvedere v Ballymena, Armagh v Buccaneers

2A
    Friday 8pm
    Nenagh v Old Crescent, UL Bohs v Cashel
    Saturday
    Blackrock v Dolphin, Galwegians v Highfield, Queens v Navan
    2B
    Belfast Quins v Rainey Old Boys, Dungannon v Wanderers, Barnhall v Corinthians, Sligo v Skerries, Sundays Well v Greystones
    2C
    Bangor v Seapoint, Malahide v Tullamore, Midleton v Ballina, Omagh v Bruff, Thomond v City of Derry

Still though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Club Rugby ! Blimey, there's a blast from the past.
    You almost forget that it still exists these days. So retro, but nice to know its still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

flatface wrote: »
    2tprf1.jpg

Pro14, Premiership, Top 14, Super rugby, club rugby etc. Plenty on this weekend! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Some Yoke wrote: »
    Quinn Roux or Henderson for Italy? Rouxs jersey to lose for the time being I think, the Henderson Ryan combo wasn't great in the line out in their last outing

With all due respect to Roux, a fit Henderson is on a different planet. No brainer for me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭b.gud

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    With all due respect to Roux, a fit Henderson is on a different planet. No brainer for me

I wonder might we actually see both start against Italy? If you start Roux and Henderson Ryan gets a break, either bench or not played at all, and Henderson gets a chance to get back to match fitness.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

b.gud wrote: »
    I wonder might we actually see both start against Italy? If you start Roux and Henderson Ryan gets a break, either bench or not played at all, and Henderson gets a chance to get back to match fitness.

Then Ryan goes 3 weeks without a game prior to France

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I don't think it is crazy idea, at next renewal Earls will not get a central contract. So take himself out to get some proper rest during the season and I am sure Declan Kidney would love ot give him a bit of a payday over in UK for 1-2 seasons.....

I don't think any Irish or Munster fan would begrudge him

And that's fine except you've you've completely changed your point. What you initially said was to lengthen his Munster career.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Then Ryan goes 3 weeks without a game prior to France

I'd be fine with that. He's 22 so isn't someone that needs games to keep himself fit or get up to speed. He's also started 15 matches already this season and with a very heavy few months ahead of him along with the RWC year, I'd like to see him take a break.

I'd fully expect him to start alongside Henderson though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Buer wrote: »
    I'd be fine with that. He's 22 so isn't someone that needs games to keep himself fit or get up to speed. He's also started 15 matches already this season and with a very heavy few months ahead of him along with the RWC year, I'd like to see him take a break.

He doesn't need to start a Pro14 match till the Semi so all the Leinster players will get a good rest.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Buer wrote: »

He could also bench against Italy, not starting doesn't mean he doesn't have to play. B.gud actually even said it...

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭baas baa

Roux is 5th choice lock so too far down the pecking order to invest playing time in for the sake of it, Ryan and Henderson will be the first choice pairing for the rest of the 6n and possibly the WC, so we do need to get them on the pitch together.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭jonok28

baas baa wrote: »
    Roux is 5th choice lock so too far down the pecking order to invest playing time in for the sake of it, Ryan and Henderson will be the first choice pairing for the rest of the 6n and possibly the WC, so we do need to get them on the pitch together.

Wouldn't mind seeing Beirne and Henderson against Italy if both are healthy.

jonok28 wrote: »

Henderson could start if he gets through tonight alright. Guess Beirne could come off bench as he doesn't feature with Munster tonight. Is there usually an updated squad announcement sometime next week ahead of rounds 3 and 4?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Was there an update on Beirne?

There's a good chance that Ryan and Henderson is our first choice pairing when everyone is fit, let's get them playing together.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

JVG said earlier this week that Beirne is a few weeks away. I'd guess that the best case scenario for him is to be involved with Munster possibly against the Ospreys and Scarlets in some capacity with a mind to being available for the French and Welsh games.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,058 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

None of Henshaw, Ringrose or Addison trained for Ireland today. Starting to look very light on centres.

After the England and Scotland games we're in desperate need of Ringrose's quality at 13.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Clegg wrote: »
    None of Henshaw, Ringrose or Addison trained for Ireland today. Starting to look very light on centres.

After the England and Scotland games we're in desperate need of Ringrose's quality at 13.

Hopefully they're all minor issues they're all working out.

But even still. We've Italy next week where we should have Farrell and Aki if none of the above make it.

Then another week off before France.

That's plenty of time to get the bodies right

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭jonok28

Was there an update on Beirne?

There's a good chance that Ryan and Henderson is our first choice pairing when everyone is fit, let's get them playing together.

Joe said he is hopeful that Beirne will be available for the Italy game.

Joe said he is hopeful that Beirne will be available for the Italy game.

Just reading up that he's only back running this week so might be a bit too soon

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Southdubin6

Eod100 wrote: »

Seen this today at the open training session. He’s so involved it’s unreal, first time I seen him at a session and he was out with forwards too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,058 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Andy Farrell says Henshaw will train next week, but that Ringrose will need to be assessed further over the weekend. Sexton trained and will be good to go against Italy.

Tadhg Beirne is "progressing well" but nowhere near a certainty to take part against Italy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Very much doubt Beirne will feature if he's not getting gametime for Munster this week. He's not in the category of players who can walk back into the team without featuring for their province and proving their fitness. He won't have had a game since the Exeter game. Assuming Henderson gets through tonight, it should be Hendo Ryan or Hendo Roux to start against Italy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement