Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apex Legends

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Nationalistically Fluid is the PC term I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,124 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Wonder if the new heroes will have slightly OP powers to tempt people into buying them? I wasted my 12k from levelling on Mirage and I never use him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

J. Marston wrote: »
    Wonder if the new heroes will have slightly OP powers to tempt people into buying them? I wasted my 12k from levelling on Mirage and I never use him.

Well if they keep the prices the same as caustic and mirage, you will have enough creds to buy 3 more legends on top of those two, from what you can earn from just leveling to level 100.

Does anybody know if you keep earning the creds on leveling up after 100?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

nix wrote: »
    Well if they keep the prices the same as caustic and mirage, you will have enough creds to buy 3 more legends on top of those two, from what you can earn from just leveling to level 100.

Does anybody know if you keep earning the creds on leveling up after 100?

Must be able to considering the credit skins in the shop. So if each legendary skin has a credit counterpart it would cost 204k credits for all them. And i assume they will add more legendary skins.

Must be able to considering the credit skins in the shop. So if each legendary skin has a credit counterpart it would cost 204k credits for all them. And i assume they will add more legendary skins.

Well yeah, but if you're gonna wanna catch em all, you're gonna have to spend a lot of money. Then you will have to factor in wait times for each skin to come around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Pick Caustic: bottom finish four games in a row.

Pick Lifeline: Win instantly.

I guess I'm naturally a healer :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

fixxxer wrote: »
    Pick Caustic: bottom finish four games in a row.

Pick Lifeline: Win instantly.

I guess I'm naturally a healer :-/

Also you'd be harder to hit.

Character Area cm² Normalized
    Wraith 33 100%
    Lifeline 37 112%
    Bloodhound 37 112%
    Mirage 44 133%
    Bangalore 44 133%
    Pathfinder 63 190%
    Caustic 68 205%
    Gibraltar 79 240%

Compared to Wraith who has the smallest hitbox - Caustics one is about 105% larger while Lifelines is only 12% larger. Gibraltars is roughly a whopping 140% larger than Wraiths. They need to do something about it as given an equally matched gunfight, a larger hitbox will mean you lose 99% of the time. Give the tanky looking characters some damage reduction or extra health.

Pathfinders hitbox is just broken and the devs already said theyre working on it. Hes a walking diamond at the moment.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Seems like a pretty silly oversight, Respawn seems to do everything else so well it's unusual to see they've made a mistake here :) I believe that the usual is to either give everyone the same hitbox or to adjust health or damage taken based around a median set of values.

Gibraltar has the shield so maybe they thought that would mitigate some of the damage, but it really doesn't do a whole lot, especially if the enemy gets the drop on you they can burn you down fast enough. Another thing is how good hip fire is in this game, in this case the bigger guys are at an overwhelming disadvantage.

I hope they balance it out abit by either giving more HP or something to the bigger guys as I main Gibraltar and play Caustic as my second

• Registered Users Posts: 12,475 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I'd much rather they change character models than HP. Having to track different HP for different characters would be a nightmare. At least now I know when I'm shooting someone how much health they have left based on the game's feedback.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

AdamD wrote: »
    I'd much rather they change character models than HP. Having to track different HP for different characters would be a nightmare. At least now I know when I'm shooting someone how much health they have left based on the game's feedback.

Give them all the same hit box seems like the best solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

I have heard that the characters with higher hit boxes have slightly increased defense / damage reduction base stats.

I dont think all hitboxes should be the same, But I do agree that they need fixing. Anyone watch a video on pathfinder? Hits register on him in places that it doesn't on other characters, like in between legs etc.
    Rossi IRL wrote:
    Give them all the same hit box seems like the best solution.

It would make taller characters have an unfair advantage if all hotboxes were the same size.

Only way to get it 100% fair is to design all characters the same which wouldn't be very fun IMO. Next best thing is to balance a characters defensive stats around their hit boxes.

I am very happy however that everyone has the same move speed.

I think they need the same hit boxes. Any other balancing act would be too difficult given the speed of the game. They definitely do not have different defensive damage modifiers at present. Anyone who uses the wingman right now can see that a body hit does 45 damage to all characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Lol , this takes me back to the Halo 2 days, where only d!ckheads would pick arbiter as his player model was wonky.

If they make all the hitboxes the same, it will be a bit dumb. You will be able to shoot the air around the majority of the players then and still be hitting them..

I think an alternative trade off would be better, like beefing up their abilities or changing how the big guys look, putting a fat samoan into a bloody bomb suit was a bad idea :rolleyes:

They can easily tidy up and maybe reduce Pathfinders size without it being noticeable, Caustic maybe reduced a lil, hes not that bad tbh. The only one thats crazy in size to me is Gibraltar.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,475 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

If they make all the hitboxes the same, it will be a bit dumb. You will be able to shoot the air around the majority of the players then and still be hitting them..

I think an alternative trade off would be better, like beefing up their abilities or changing how the big guys look, putting a fat samoan into a bloody bomb suit was a bad idea :rolleyes:

They can easily tidy up and maybe reduce Pathfinders size without it being noticeable, Caustic maybe reduced a lil, hes not that bad tbh. The only one thats crazy in size to me is Gibraltar.

They could just alter the character sizes slightly..reduce some of the bigger ones and increase the smaller ones so they're all within say 30% of eachother and then rejig abilities slightly to achieve some balance. Changing HP just isn't a feasible route to go down.

AdamD wrote: »
    They could just alter the character sizes slightly..reduce some of the bigger ones and increase the smaller ones so they're all within say 30% of eachother and then rejig abilities slightly to achieve some balance. Changing HP just isn't a feasible route to go down.

Yeah i only said abilities as to me it would be a better route than altering hp/armor pools, reducing the size of big characters is the better option, its just it might be hard to do without making them look weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Yeah i only said abilities as to me it would be a better route than altering hp/armor pools, reducing the size of big characters is the better option, its just it might be hard to do without making them look weird.

New Gribaltar:

02b65ea5934b48f938813747fd6a906f--beetlejuice-tim-burton.jpg?b=t

I don't think buffing or nerfing abilities will do anything because they're fairly weak as it is. Best way to kill someone (pretty much only way to kill someone) is with guns. Changing HP or defence modifier would be too imbalanced. I really think making all the hitboxes the same is the only option.

I don't think buffing or nerfing abilities will do anything because they're fairly weak as it is. Best way to kill someone (pretty much only way to kill someone) is with guns. Changing HP or defence modifier would be too imbalanced. I really think making all the hitboxes the same is the only option.

Well you could make gibralters shield bigger and/or absorb more damage, also his bubble should be reworked as it works against him alot more than it helps him..

If you normalise everybody to the same hitbox, graphic wise you will have players with ghost limbs and others where bullets are going through parts of them, and if you make them the same graphically it will look silly, it gets messy, its not an easy solution.. :(

• Advertisement

Korvanica wrote: »
    Also you'd be harder to hit.

Character Area cm² Normalized
    Wraith 33 100%
    Lifeline 37 112%
    Bloodhound 37 112%
    Mirage 44 133%
    Bangalore 44 133%
    Pathfinder 63 190%
    Caustic 68 205%
    Gibraltar 79 240%

Compared to Wraith who has the smallest hitbox - Caustics one is about 105% larger while Lifelines is only 12% larger. Gibraltars is roughly a whopping 140% larger than Wraiths. They need to do something about it as given an equally matched gunfight, a larger hitbox will mean you lose 99% of the time. Give the tanky looking characters some damage reduction or extra health.

Pathfinders hitbox is just broken and the devs already said theyre working on it. Hes a walking diamond at the moment.

Also those normalised numbers are a little misleading. The total area isn't as important as the how large the character appears on your screen. The area of the largest cross section of a character should be compared.

edit nevermind, that's exactly how its calculated

Doing some basic maths, the median is 50.625 - so set that at 100 and adjust all the characters based on their numbers using that as the baseline. Simples :) Smaller hit-box - modified health OR damage resistance - whatever's a better way of doing it. Also, leave shields untouched - they should offer the same protection regardless of "size" but when they're whittled down, have the character's "physical" traits come into play.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Gibraltar has the shield so maybe they thought that would mitigate some of the damage, but it really doesn't do a whole lot, especially if the enemy gets the drop on you they can burn you down fast enough. Another thing is how good hip fire is in this game, in this case the bigger guys are at an overwhelming disadvantage.

I hope they balance it out abit by either giving more HP or something to the bigger guys as I main Gibraltar and play Caustic as my second

They'll need to nerf hipfire a bit, at this stage theres no need in most engagements since the distance is usually low enough.

Working on getting a win with all characters. Have only done Bloodhound, Gibraltar and Pathfinder so far. Pathfinder is so much fun to play. I will be coming back to him once i finish.

I think they need the same hit boxes. Any other balancing act would be too difficult given the speed of the game. They definitely do not have different defensive damage modifiers at present. Anyone who uses the wingman right now can see that a body hit does 45 damage to all characters.

Ah, that rules that out then. I have damage numbers turned off altogetger, fond they really distract me. Still get the icon shields break which is very useful.
    I could of swore I heard it in a YouTube video about hitboxes yesterday though.

oh gods, I couldn't imagine playing without the numbers, you've no idea how well you're doing without them. They'll also tell you how much shielding the player has by their colour.

Shiminay wrote:
    oh gods, I couldn't imagine playing without the numbers, you've no idea how well you're doing without them. They'll also tell you how much shielding the player has by their colour.

I tend to use the same weapons most of the time, you get a feel of how many hits it takes to kill after shield is broken. I play at 1080p and find the big flashing numbers very distracting. Find myself looking at the numbers more than their head xD

Why would changing character HP be such a bad idea? Don't they do it in other hero shooters? Sure its even done in Street Fighter where bigger slow characters have bigger hurtboxes but more HP generally

Why would changing character HP be such a bad idea? Don't they do it in other hero shooters? Sure its even done in Street Fighter where bigger slow characters have bigger hurtboxes but more HP generally

Well im gonna ignore the street fighter comment :P, but the only other shooter i can think of thats similar in terms of classes in a shooter is Overwatch. And the reason its ok for the HP values to be different in that is because their hp pools are balanced around their set weapons and abilities.

While apex has abilites, the weapons are not set and the ability to heal is through items also, lifelines healing ability is crap, its good for topping up health while you loot.

Imagine Gibraltar with a larger health pool and yellow back pack vs a small low hp character, they would get rinsed with ease.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Got a second win there just now. End game was tailor made for Caustic. Lone building in the centre of the map, gas traps everywhere and a gas bomb ultimate to flush out the last remaining squad. Now I can finally pick someone else :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Just need wins on Wraith, Caustic, and Mirage (still need to unlock), then to work on the 8k damage on each. Some are above that just through general play anyway, taking longer to get a win than others.

I honestly don't know who I'd "Main" though. Quite happy with Bangalore / Lifeline / Pathfinder / Bloodhound.

Advertisement