Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭silver_sky

Swords. It has quite a lot within a small area.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Cheers. Just curious just don't see that many...

• Registered Users Posts: 7 slideaway

Ones in malahide are regularly in use also. Free parking for ev charging in fingal from memory

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭silver_sky

There was, but that was removed a few years ago. I'm not sure if it's policed.

I see about 3 locations in Malahide 6 in swords. I'm going to assume anywhere I see 22kw its an AC charger. So, 7, 11 or 22 etc. I can see what different cars got on PlugShare checkings. Lot of Zoes predictably.

It Just doesn't seem to be enough to service any sort regular large demand from people without home chargers. I guess if they have a some demand stats you could work out the occupancy rate on them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Lots of options in Malahide. 2x22kW eCars site in Malahide Train station, 2x22kW eCars site on St James's Terrace, 4x22kW GoPower site in Grand Hotel. There was also two free 5kW lamp post chargers in Malahide but they were removed earlier this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭yermanthere

AC charging could be needed in the medium future. For drivers in apartments and rented accommodation, or simply no driveway.

If every shop with a deli- counter and a carpark had AC. And Pubs and restaurants. That would be a great supply of plugs. All you need is 3-phase power.

They could also be used as destination chargers if they are within a 5 minute walk. I've used ones in Tesco car parks all around the country as destination chargers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,278 ✭✭✭markpb

I think that planning permission for all new apartment blocks requires the developer to fit AC chargers from the start. There are also grants available to OMCs to retrofit AC chargers into existing apartment blocks. It’ll take time to trickle down to all blocks but I think we’ll see a marked improvement over the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,585 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

It's going to be harder in a lot of places — I live in an apartment block where it's all outdoor parking, quite far away from the apartments too. I'm resigned to never having charging available here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭zg3409

I think brand new apartments only need a few chargers with ducting (pipes) to all parking spots. Even then I have seen cables fitted but no actual chargers even though car park open.

ESB ecars have stated they have no intention of rolling out public AC chargers on streets,as in 0 new sites planned. Same for easygo on AC. All the Dublin councils concluded DC hubs are preferred to AC on street so council is not rolling out any AC. Even then it seems council does not really want to get in public charging game, they hope if they do nothing then it will happen itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

For eCars to change their mind and install new AC it would have to be a PSO instruction, which ain't going to happen IMO. In the past the cost of the AC pillars was high and they could only serve 2 cars with 44kW available. Was never going to succeed.

Not just apartments even housing areas like Stoneybatter or that picture of the Charge Arm on a street of red brick houses could benefit from banks of AC. Their streets often have a side street with no housing, these No Man's Land street are ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I wouldn't fancy leaving my car unattended for hours in one of those streets. As it is, with chargers being put in the darkest corner of the car park, leaving your car is risky.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭wassie

Its a pity. New York seems to be taking the opposite approach - keeping DC hubs on the outskirts of the city, whilst providing incentives for kerb-side AC charging for the innnercity.

Sounds like they fine ice cars for blocking them..

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Yeh I've been in a few dark and dreary car parks that have seemed dodgy. The streets I had in mind are totally safe and in busy non isolated areas, but it depends street by street. Won't happen so not an issue anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭innrain

Supervalu in Balinteer appears to have a brand new 2+1 site not live yet. I don't think I've heard about it on here

https://www.plugshare.com/location/613347

Back from Carrickmines. Covers are removed and screens are lit. Even the cones were on the back of the security car which was still parked across the lot. If there is no other photoshoot maybe will be live soon.

Someone on Facebook said they were live so I put it on new charger thread, but ESB ecars app does not list them as of right now.

I'll try them later. I didn't consider it yesterday as the security van was parked across the chargers.

I can Confirm Carrickmines Hub it is working even if it not on the app yet.

Got only 127 kW as I pre-cond for only 3 mins. Not on the app but once started the app knows the location

• Advertisement

Post edited by zg3409 on

I was in Blanch today to discover that the units share the 200kW power. My charging dropped from 150 kW to 99kW as soon as another car plugged on the other side. Maybe it was just a hiccup as the freshmile didn't work either. More tests needs to be done to confirm this but that's quite disappointing if turns to be true.

Nice turnout though 7 out of 8 in use. 3 were BZ. Are the DC charging restriction still in place for BZ? I mean at launch there was some restriction number of times one can charge in a 24h window.

What is BZ?

Sorry BZX4 from Toyota. I shortened the acronym

• Registered Users Posts: 21,798 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Given the rate the wheel fall off them, I propose BS instead of BZ as the acronym!

Most large units share power over multiple connectors. Typically the advice is not to try share with someone else on same unit and get a unit all to yourself. This may have not been possible in this case. You may also have site limits once reached all chargers may reduce power. Lots of ESB ecars sites have reduced power available and in some cases it's mentioned for that site on their own app. In other cases there are comments on plugshare app about reduced speeds at certain sites.

Tried it again this morning. Definitely power sharing. I got another BZ beside me 2 minutes after I started and dropped from 149kW to 100kW. While not terrible as the charging stayed constant from 14% to 54% SoC (by my calculations increased waiting time by 5 minutes), I think it is bad form not to inform customers about the power sharing.

Anyway it is good to know and spread around to EV community, that, if possible use a unit which does not have another car charging on the other side. If you're drive a Leaf and all chargers have one side occupied choose the one which will have less impact to the other car eg. choose a Kona over an EV6. Similar to SuC V2 tech from 2015

I actually think loadsharing is a good idea. It allows peak charging if you're the only one, but allows some charging which otherwise may not have been installed at all if there wasnt such a thing as load sharing, due to network peak demand charges

It's not like most EV can sustain peak charging rate over the entire session anyway.

• Advertisement

Certainly not if the throttled speed is 100kW. There are more vehicles sold that can't even reach that speed I'd say! Certainly here, in this banana republic, where >300kW EV charging speeds achieved by Lucid, GMC et al are not even sold here!

Advertisement