Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,370 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

120kW CCS is all well and good, but if you happen upon a leaf charging at 50kW then what's the point? Multi bay chargers are what's needed at these hubs. It gives redundancy if a charger is down or a second car is already charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,613 ✭✭✭zg3409

New 44kW DC in Sligo town at union square seems to be up running, with 6kW AC. Plugshare app updated. Live on ESB app.

• Moderators Posts: 12,370 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

zg3409 wrote: »
    New 44kW DC in Sligo town at union square seems to be up running, with 6kW AC. Plugshare app updated. Live on ESB app.

Wasn't the old charger constantly offline? Seemed like any time I'd look it was offline.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,613 ✭✭✭zg3409

Wasn't the old charger constantly offline? Seemed like any time I'd look it was offline.

According to plugshare the old one was working until removed. I think they identified the sites they would change to DC, then replaced oldest AC units with new AC, and are now replacing old AC with DC where they had planned all along.

In terms of this thread, I think they had problems getting chargers on motorway and main routes as petrol station owners did not want them. They seemed to have an easier time installing them at council car parks, public streets and tesco stores. I am not sure if they were willing to pay decent site rental, but Ionity say grid supply is a problem for them with ESB saying no go at many sites.

I agree the effort should be on main routes and 50kW+ multiple co located chargers. Even load share is better if the load is split across say 4 chargers, as not all cars will take maximum at all times.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,639 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

zg3409 wrote: »
    According to plugshare the old one was working until removed. I think they identified the sites they would change to DC, then replaced oldest AC units with new AC, and are now replacing old AC with DC where they had planned all along.

In terms of this thread, I think they had problems getting chargers on motorway and main routes as petrol station owners did not want them. They seemed to gave an easier time installing them at council car parks, public streets and tesco stores. I am not sure if they were willing to pay decent site rental, but Ionity say grid supply is a problem for them with ESB saying no go at many sites.

I agree the effort should be on main routes and 50kW+ multiple co located chargers. Even load share is better if the load is split across say 4 chargers, as not all cars will take maximum at all times.

No.

I'm already waiting 1hr for a 10-80% charge. And my car is constantly drawing the peak 50kW.

Even in my 2017 Ioniq, it was powerlimited by the charger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

ELM327 wrote: »
    No.

I'm already waiting 1hr for a 10-80% charge. And my car is constantly drawing the peak 50kW.

Even in my 2017 Ioniq, it was powerlimited by the charger.

That's a terrible wait, how or why did that happen? Even at 100 kW it still would be a 30 minute charge, I would have though with a long range EV, you could be anywhere and back with a 15 to 20 minute stop.

The super hubs are all fine and good on motor ways, but people still need to charge and to ask them to drive 20 km or 50 in the wrong direction for a charge is pointless, charging stations need to be scattered ideally in pairs for now and with the increase in EV's add more stations or locations.

kanuseeme wrote: »
    That's a terrible wait, how or why did that happen? Even at 100 kW it still would be a 30 minute charge, I would have though with a long range EV, you could be anywhere and back with a 15 to 20 minute stop.

The super hubs are all fine and good on motor ways, but people still need to charge and to ask them to drive 20 km or 50 in the wrong direction for a charge is pointless, charging stations need to be scattered ideally in pairs for now and with the increase in EV's add more stations or locations.

Simple maths. ~75kWh usable battery * 70% (10-80%) = 52.5 kWh
    Charging at 50kW peak (40-45kW net to the car) that will take over 1 hour.

The chargers are too slow.

I know the math, and at 100 kW its only 30 minutes.

The question is how or why you let yourself in that position?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I totally agree these "fast" chargers are too slow so hence the annoyance of replacing two 22 stations with a single 44.
    Leave all the 22s as is and put in proper 100-150 fast chargers next to them or somewhere else.

This elimination of perfectly fine 22 chargers and halving the number of charge points (I do not consider a 2kW a charge point) is stupid, if it was to replace with a 100-150 then yes, but in 2020 to be installing 44kW chargers is just madness.
    I totally get the number of existing EVs that can't take advantage of 100-150 (I have a Leaf so maxed at 43) but we should not be installing new charge points for either legacy or existing cars, it needs to be for future capability.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

kanuseeme wrote: »
    I know the math, and at 100 kW its only 30 minutes.

The question is how or why you let yourself in that position?

I didn't. It was a hypothetical "I'm left waitinG" not an actual "I was".
    However, the entire country is not covered by Ionity/SuC and particularly in the north/north west / southwest it's possible that you have a long wait maxing out the 50kW charger.

The only times I've ever waited 1 hr for a charge was when it was free (eg at kinnegad)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

It's a paid DC charger, so I'd be making the assumption that I'd have a max wait of 45 mins due to the overstay charges and auto disconnect.

In 1 hour of charging in Cavan pre upgrade, I would of added 6.6kW (42km in an Ioniq 28), with a 45 min wait and 15 mins of DC charging, I would of added 11kW (70km).
    If I'm prepared to wait another 15 mins then it's now 140km vs 52km.

I didn't. It was a hypothetical "I'm left waitinG" not an actual "I was".
    However, the entire country is not covered by Ionity/SuC and particularly in the north/north west / southwest it's possible that you have a long wait maxing out the 50kW charger.

The only times I've ever waited 1 hr for a charge was when it was free (eg at kinnegad)

Apologies, I read it as you were bored waiting and on boards.ie to pass the time,

Why is it expected of Ecars to install hubs where none of the rest will?

As for sucking free electrons, wait till 2nd hand model s and x become cheaper, as everyone within 30 minutes of a supercharger will be queuing for some free electricity, you will be glad of 50 kW then.

I saw a leaf driver the other evening charging for an hour and only got 3 kWh . I thought the AC charger was faulty, I asked him was he nearly full ? "yes" he said. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭innrain

slave1 wrote: »

This elimination of perfectly fine 22 chargers and halving the number of charge points (I do not consider a 2kW a charge point) is stupid, if it was to replace with a 100-150 then yes, but in 2020 to be installing 44kW chargers is just madness.
    I totally get the number of existing EVs that can't take advantage of 100-150 (I have a Leaf so maxed at 43) but we should not be installing new charge points for either legacy or existing cars, it needs to be for future capability.
    Would they require planning permission when replacing an existing 2x22AC with a 44DC?
    My gut feeling is the "let's do something to show that we do something" mentality and not the "let's do something to be proud of" like these guys https://insideevs.com/news/353022/fastned-1000-meters-cable-ducts-charging-station/
    I want to be wrong.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

innrain wrote: »
    Would they require planning permission when replacing an existing 2x22AC with a 44DC?
    My gut feeling is the "let's do something to show that we do something" mentality and not the "let's do something to be proud of" like these guys https://insideevs.com/news/353022/fastned-1000-meters-cable-ducts-charging-station/
    I want to be wrong.

They don't need planning permission as it's a simple electrical hardware swap.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,058 ✭✭✭✭unkel

innrain wrote: »
    I want to be wrong.

Look here, ESB. This is how it's done. Small hub:

223763-fastned-4_rgb-7b97cb-original-1473172599-e1486493864438.jpg?quality=82&strip=all

• Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Where's the coffee machine?! :)

Now get rid of the pesky chademo and we're good :)

Now get rid of the pesky chademo and we're good :)

I'll give you €50 for your CHAdeMO cable :pac:

Obsolete charging standard and totally redundant for you as you have SuC, CCS and 3 phase AC charging already :D

unkel wrote: »

Obsolete charging standard and totally redundant for you as you have SuC, CCS and 3 phase AC charging already :D
    It's so big and bulky that 50 quid woudl barely cover postage :D

From Facebook:
    A 150kW charger will be installed alongside our current fast charger locations at Kilcullen, Kildare (M9) and Carrowkeel, Galway (M6). These high power chargers will also be used for sites at: Monasterevin, Co Kildare; Portlaoise, Co Laois (N7); Ballinalack, Co Westmeath (N4; Carrick on Shannon, Co Leitrim; Lahey, Co Donegal and Kells, Co Meath.

Additional locations will be announced in the coming months. Keep an eye on our Facebook page for details and when the installations will take place.

https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FESBecars%2Fposts%2F3145917688779847

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

unkel wrote: »

Surely you'll need to go the CCS route as Superchargers V3 in Europe are CCS connections, no second cable for "legacy" Teslas

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

It's so big and bulky that 50 quid woudl barely cover postage :D

I'll gladly come pick it up. Any excuse for a nice spin :D
    slave1 wrote: »
    Surely you'll need to go the CCS route as Superchargers V3 in Europe are CCS connections, no second cable for "legacy" Teslas

No need for CHAdeMO or CCS on the continent, full SuC coverage over there. Only in Ireland with our just 3 SuC stations would it be handy to have alternative DC charging options. On the very rare occasion that I take a trip beyond the range of my car and the family is on board

• Registered Users Posts: 12,239 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

liamog wrote: »

I was starting to think that the word "alongside" didn't exist in Anna's vocabulary!

Finally some good news from eCars.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

From Facebook:

That's good news, although it looks like a massive shame that they still haven't figured out a charger design where the cables will stretch to accommodate certain cars.

Looking at the branding on Facebook picture.
    The new unit is branded as a "High Power Charge Point", the existing two in Kilcullen are branded "Fast Charge Point".
    I think they are just replacing one of the two in Kilcullen & Galway with this new model. They are both newish sites so were were probably installed with the new 150kW charger in mind.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Looking at the branding on Facebook picture.
    The new unit is branded as a "High Power Charge Point", the existing two in Kilcullen are branded "Fast Charge Point".
    I think they are just replacing one of the two in Kilcullen & Galway with this new model. They are both newish sites so were were probably installed with the new 150kW charger in mind.

I thought there was space set aside for additional chargers at those sites, could be wrong though.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I thought there was space set aside for additional chargers at those sites, could be wrong though.

Could be, that would be great. 2 50kW Chargers, and 1 150kW charger. That would allow 4 DC cars to charge at once.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Could be, that would be great. 2 50kW Chargers, and 1 150kW charger. That would allow 4 DC cars to charge at once.

Heres hoping.
    (I've yet to use any eCars fast charger, but Waterford is a route I'll take from Dublin quite often when we are fully unlocked, so this would be great if it went in, in addition to the 2 already there)

496841.jpg

503383.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Finally they are adding multiple chargers per site

Well, no. Not quite.
    They have announced they are to add chargers...........

They have form here for making announcements.............ask Unkel....... :pac:.

Going by their recent AC charge point policy, they'll probably replace 2x 50kW DC chargers with one new 150kW charger (throttled to 95kW - grid constraints) & a 2kW Type 2 AC connector.

:D

Advertisement