Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread VII (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,164 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

It can only be theatrics for the sake of helping TM sell this dead horse to the HoC.

The EU capitulating now would be like taking your seat belt off just before impact. This crash is happening either way.
    Well it could also be about an A 50 extension. Which has been gaining traction today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

I would imagine Barnier sold something to the Irish delegation at the rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,687 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Headshot wrote: »
    And recorded.....

I cannot wait to see this nasty piece of work squirm

What are you on about.

Specifically

• Registered Users Posts: 23,499 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Merkel saying "a very important offer has been made to Britain" reports The Guardian newspaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Either the EU has shafted Ireland or it hasn't. If it has, then that sends a very strong message to other smaller countries and will embolden the Eurosceptics across Europe who will point out that Ireland's national interest was thrown under the bus by the big bully EU. If it hasn't, then things will proceed as expected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

prawnsambo wrote:
    Well it could also be about an A 50 extension. Which has been gaining traction today.

That's for more than just the Irish government to decide on though?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Sounds like a fudge that could mean all things to all sides:

http://twitter.com/nick_gutteridge/status/1105173764533350400

Sounds like a fudge that could mean all things to all sides:

http://twitter.com/nick_gutteridge/status/1105173764533350400

A fudge is no good. Clear and unambiguous language is needed. I wouldn't trust the Tories as far as I could throw them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

A fudge is no good. Clear and unambiguous language is needed. I wouldn't trust the Tories as far as I could throw them.

They still need and want a trade deal. That will keep them in check

• Registered Users Posts: 17,665 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

And we should object on those grounds if its seen to be impacting our priorities.

The phrase never never never could be used ironically to add a bit of fun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,150 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Patser wrote: »
    But if something is being seriously considered, enough so that the whole Irish cabinet has to meet to discuss it, then it's safe to say is bigger than anything previous and something that's been suggested to the UK delegates and seen as having potential.

My worry is that, regardless if Irish Govt reject, genie will be out of the bottle as the UK see that there's potential chunks in the armour there. Also possibility that if the Irish do reject it, May suddenly has her new scapegoat- Oh we were so close until those pesky Irish blocked us.

Hopefully just a minor wording semantic they want cleared by our cabinet.

Cabinet, and opposition have always been briefed on what's going on. I think people are reading too much into it, but the press love the drama of it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭Enzokk

I am not worried about fudging the language as the fudge will be for the UK to eat and not the EU. They will have to accept the WA and it seems they are trying to fudge that, or at least that is my hope.

I am wondering though, unless those that voted against the deal in the HoC is literally only concerned about the backstop, how does she still get it passed? Labour will vote against it, the Tory rebels will and you presume that Labour and TIG will do as well with the other parties, including the DUP. So she will need to turn around 115 Tories of which 70 or so are the ERG. Good luck with that.

They still need and want a trade deal. That will keep them in check

Dunno. A snap GE which sees the Tories with a decisive margin, a shift to the right and a new PM like Boris would change the political landscape. In such a scenario, the EU would need everything bolted down.

VinLieger wrote: »
    And we should object on those grounds if its seen to be impacting our priorities.

The phrase never never never could be used ironically to add a bit of fun

For sure. 'Out, out, out.' would be equally apt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Anteayer

Hurrache wrote: »
    Cabinet, and opposition have always been briefed on what's going on. I think people are reading too much into it, but the press love the drama of it all.

I'd ignore anything coming from the UK suggesting that the EU is putting "Dublin" under pressure. It's been a recurring fantasy over there and it has not been proven to be remotely based in fact in any of the previous rumours.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Dunno. A snap GE which sees the Tories with a decisive margin, a shift to the right and a new PM like Boris would change the political landscape. In such a scenario, the EU would need everything bolted down.

Fine off you go lads. Back to no deal. No flights, no nothing. Come back to us when you're feeling sane again

• Registered Users Posts: 53,898 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Sorry, were you replying to me? Can't make sense of that. :confused:
    listermint wrote: »
    What are you on about.

Specifically

Lol I quoted the wrong quote

I was referring to JRM tonight on ch4

http://twitter.com/MichealLehane/status/1105191426793586688

Sounds rather more innocuous than Nick Gutteridge's tweet.

Dodds and Foster going into the chief whip's office in Westminster. I do hope there's a camera crew following all these moves in order to make a documentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

galloney wrote: »
    Just curious, what will happen to the border immediately after they leave on no-deal (because let's face it it is either no-deal or extension)? As in, what will happen on the morning of the 30th March on the border with no-deal.

My understand is that there'd be customs checks immediately, as the UK would be trading on WTO terms and customs checks would be required at every border, including Dover-Calais and the NI border. Please correct me if this isn't legit.

• Advertisement

galloney wrote: »
    Just curious, what will happen to the border immediately after they leave on no-deal (because let's face it it is either no-deal or extension)? As in, what will happen on the morning of the 30th March on the border with no-deal.

Presumably, as with the planes, there would be a temporary grace period of 3-6 months, but we'd then have to phase in customs controls.

http://twitter.com/MichealLehane/status/1105191426793586688

Sounds rather more innocuous than Nick Gutteridge's tweet.

Yeah, I'd be amazed if it was anything else. As I said the press, particularly the British are, loving the drama and hype.

Dodds and Foster going into the chief whip's office in Westminster. I do hope there's a camera crew following all these moves in order to make a documentary.

This suggests Ire/EU have accepted some form of legal wording...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,164 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Headshot wrote: »
    Lol I quoted the wrong quote

I was referring to JRM tonight on ch4
    Cheers. Thought you were being a bit harsh on Leo. :D

Yeah, I'd be amazed if it was anything else. As I said the press, particularly the British are, loving the drama and hype.

The Telegraph is playing it down and quoting government sources who advise that no major breakthrough should be expected.

Govt representatives present in Strasbourg...

https://twitter.com/Claude_Moraes/status/1105192349171417089

• Registered Users Posts: 33,687 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The Telegraph is playing it down and quoting government sources who advise that no major breakthrough should be expected.

You'd tell that lot nothing. Theyve form and reason to stir it up.

listermint wrote: »
    You'd tell that lot nothing. Theyve form and reason to stir it up.

They do. Which makes their relative neutral reportage all the more strange. Of course, they are full on Brexiteers so anything that suits May might not suit their agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,511 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So what was assumed to be a mundane enough Monday before more madness in the HOC tomorrow and the days after seems to be not mundane at all.

• Advertisement

Laura Kuenssberg suggesting theres a bit of uneasiness in Dublin over the UK and the possibility of being allowed a unilateral statement on the backstop.

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1105197987381284865

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement