Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread VII (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭BobbyBobberson

According to Channel 4 Leo Varadkar was "taxiing on the runway and had to be pulled off the plane" to go to this meeting. Interesting times

• Registered Users Posts: 67,030 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Varadkar taken off a taxiing plane apparently. Was headed to Washington according to C4

• Registered Users Posts: 15,317 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I’d like to see an Irish source confirm that. Sounds very dramatic

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Sounds far too dramatic to be true.

I’d like to see an Irish source confirm that. Sounds very dramatic

I know it is St. Patrick's week, but I'd be amazed he was leaving at this juncture actually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

MPs taking about changing the Lisbon treaty. Where do they get this nonsense?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,164 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I know it is St. Patrick's week, but I'd be amazed he was leaving at this juncture actually.
    There's normally a good few meet and greets before the big day.

This tweet suggests he was on a plane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Re Leo's curtain recall - "When the legend becomes fact, print the legend"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,369 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I know people will be focused on the Irish Cabinet meeting and the meeting in Strasbourg but Channel 4 have this tonight (which I won't get to see)...

https://twitter.com/jonsnowC4/status/1105141721669746689?s=19

Could be a worthy watch. £7 million since the referendum. I mean, this guy has convinced people he is out for the working classes. How he's maintained this facade for so long is beyond me.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

UK is determined to get out of EU before the money laundering/exchange of information thinnggy becomes live. I think that is very soon.

Someone might know more....

• Advertisement

prawnsambo wrote: »

Yeh, I get that, but given the week that was in it...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭Enzokk

I know people will be focused on the Irish Cabinet meeting and the meeting in Strasbourg but Channel 4 have this tonight (which I won't get to see)...

https://twitter.com/jonsnowC4/status/1105141721669746689?s=19

I don't know if that is how JRM usually acts in an interview but he seemed very cagey when the interviewer was asking him about receiving 15% of £47m profit. He also never once answered a question directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Sparko

According to something I read earlier his plan was to travel today instead of tomorrow so that he wouldn't be in transit while the first Westminster vote was in progress. But that has now obviously changed as a result of the last minute cabinet meeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

Enzokk wrote: »
    I don't know if that is how JRM usually acts in an interview but he seemed very cagey when the interviewer was asking him about receiving 15% of £47m profit. He also never once answered a question directly.

He usually talks a lot more. The short, curt answers are uncharacteristic.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,898 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

This is fascinating stuff, I heard on sky news that the May is expected to have a conference at 9pm if everything goes smoothly

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Popeleo

MPs taking about changing the Lisbon treaty. Where do they get this nonsense?

So that would mean that we in Ireland would get to have a referendum on their exit deal but the UK people won't....

Obviously that won't happen but if it is true, it just goes to show how little their politicians know about the EU even at this stage. Sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,928 ✭✭✭Patser

I'm actually a little worried about the Irish Cabinet suddenly meeting, the EU are hardly going to blink are they, please don't let them live up to that Brexiteer fantasy.

But why would Leo be caught on the hop unless something dramatic, that affects the backstop being seriously considered by EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,898 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

prawnsambo wrote: »

And recorded.....

I cannot wait to see this nasty piece of work squirm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I'm intrigued to find out what's happening, but the EU had better not be stabbing Ireland in the back here. I'd be very surprised and disappointed if that were the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,150 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Looks like the Cabinet is meeting tonight. Deal done?

https://twitter.com/fiachkelly/status/1105166902010232833

There's no deal to be done as technically it's already done. It's just wording to convince her cabinet who still won't vote for it no matter what the wording is IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,499 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Patser wrote: »

But why would Leo be caught on the hop unless something dramatic, that affects the backstop being seriously considered by EU.

The government may have to reject such an outcome this evening if that was the case. Hopefully that isn't the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,150 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

judeboy101 wrote: »
    EU will move on arbitration. Cox is a cute hoor, he'll get a legal guarantee on "Reasonableness" introduced as a way to trigger unilateral arbitration review, and as its not related to EU law will bypass ECJ.

I don't think so, they know what he's up to with regards to that and EU diplomats have already publicly been aghast at the neck on him trying it last week.

In fact Barnier used an interview in the Mail on Sunday with him where he said that if he got what he wanted he could initiate arbitration on day 1 as an example to show the EU ambassadors one of the reasons talks were acrimonious.

According to Phillippe Lamberts of Belguim, the only change the EU will make to the WA is a NI only backstop. He was withering about the British political class on C4 there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭BobbyBobberson

According to Phillippe Lamberts of Belguim, the only change the EU will make to the WA is a NI only backstop. He was withering about the British political class on C4 there.

And felt No Deal was most likely too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

Verhofstadt tweeted that they would stand behind Ireland. I was a little concerned at Tajani's tweet before it.

https://twitter.com/guyverhofstadt/status/1105180608408547328

• Registered Users Posts: 7,928 ✭✭✭Patser

The government may have to reject such an outcome this evening if that was the case. Hopefully that isn't the case.

But if something is being seriously considered, enough so that the whole Irish cabinet has to meet to discuss it, then it's safe to say is bigger than anything previous and something that's been suggested to the UK delegates and seen as having potential.

My worry is that, regardless if Irish Govt reject, genie will be out of the bottle as the UK see that there's potential chunks in the armour there. Also possibility that if the Irish do reject it, May suddenly has her new scapegoat- Oh we were so close until those pesky Irish blocked us.

Hopefully just a minor wording semantic they want cleared by our cabinet.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,164 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Headshot wrote: »
    And recorded.....

I cannot wait to see this nasty piece of work squirm
    Sorry, were you replying to me? Can't make sense of that. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,293 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I think he was referring to Leo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

It can only be theatrics for the sake of helping TM sell this dead horse to the HoC.

The EU capitulating now would be like taking your seat belt off just before impact. This crash is happening either way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,142 ✭✭✭✭Water John

This is the business end of Brexit, at last.
    Whatever assurances TM gets this evening, and I suspect the Strazbourg dash is to give it gravitas, won't pass the ERG or DUP IWT.
    TM's best hope may be to reduce her loss to lowish figures.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement