Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

elections and cycling

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭buffalo

Stark wrote: »
    **** yeah.

Any more members in contention for a seat? Sadly their representative in my area didn't get in.

Costello just got elected in Dub SC.

Matthews in Wicklow is looking good. Hackett in Laois/Offaly is a possibility. Maybe Healy in Dub Bay N?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,895 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Cool. I think Duffy in Dublin South-West might also be a possibility?

https://www.rte.ie/news/election-2020/results/#/national/dublin-south-west

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

buffalo wrote: »
    Maybe Healy in Dub Bay N?

Unlikely I think, he's in 6th behind Haughey, with Heney's transfers to come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Would Verona have any possibility of having a role in Transport in a coalition government?

Her influence on transport should be the least of our concerns.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

Stark wrote: »
    Cool. I think Duffy in Dublin South-West might also be a possibility?

https://www.rte.ie/news/election-2020/results/#/national/dublin-south-west

Hopefully so, he's my no2 and with Bailey out I'm holding hope that my transfer will help.
    buffalo wrote: »
    Costello just got elected in Dub SC.

Principled gentleman, he'll do very well by his constituents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

I'm hoping. Lahart just had a huge surge in numbers from count 9 to 10 and knocked Duffy down a spot. 2500 vs 500!

Hoping he gets the last seat - between him and Zapone now. He's one of the more approachable and sounder lads to deal with in the area. Let me chew the ear off him about ****e cycling in the area before

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

I'd say it'll be Lahart and Duffy that take the last two seats.

Both got in. 11 seats for the Greens now.

Matthews has yet to be eliminated in Wicklow though it looks like it's between him and a FG candidate for the last seat and the FG candidate will probably do better on transfers when his running mate gets elected.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

droidus wrote: »
    They also propped up FF through the bailout and for 2 years afterwards. .
    True, they should have pulled the plug sooner but if they had pulled out at the start of the crisis they would have been accused of running away as soon as the train hit the buffers, and even of being unpatriotic. Also, the deceit by the banks & 1 thus framing of the issue as a liquidity crisis & not a banking crisis meant that that late-nightcabinet meeting didn't have the full picture.
    All parties mess up & all get punished by the electorate, but if don't consider second chances, then we'll run out of perfect parties

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

Interesting to read through this thread, post GE and see the people mentioned in first pages, (when the impending election was the LE19) who have made it as TD's. Hopefully some of the new lot who 'get' cycling for transport will serve on the transport committee and bring what's needed to enable cycling and walking to the fore

• Advertisement

And it's 12 seats for the Greens (Matthews just got in). Fantastic result for them. Let's hope it translates into results for the cycling agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Just harking back to the Green/SDs/Labour bloc:
    jd wrote: »
    They'll be hoping 20+ seats between them. It will be interesting where some of the SF surpluses go.

Well, 24 will have to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭jd

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Just harking back to the Green/SDs/Labour bloc:

Well, 24 will have to do!

I was a bit more precise on twitter

https://twitter.com/highnellybike/status/1225808969798766593

• Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

1 out. Must try harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

tomasrojo wrote: »
    1 out. Must try harder.

The tweet he replied to was well off though!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,405 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

thread bump, for the local elections are looming.

this lad (and full disclosure, i know him and he's sound) is standing for Labour in Artane/Whitehall. he's a cyclist and definitely very supportive of cycling measures.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭jd

Yeah, he's sound. Unfortunately I'm in the wrong part of Santry to vote for him.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,405 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

should be useful for anyone in the dublin city council area:

minor chuckle at the response of the FF candidates in Artane/Whitehall:

What should be done to make it nicer and safer for people to get around the city on foot and by bike?

We need to focus on light rail transport there has been huge investment in cycle lanes over the last five years.

and in my ward (ballymun/finglas)

What should be done to make it nicer and safer for people to get around the city on foot and by bike?

I regularly cycle into the city centre and I feel relatively safe, I would support more cycle lanes if they don’t have a huge impact on traffic such as Griffith Avenue, which has had a dramatic negative impact on traffic in the area. Hopefully with improvements to public transport people will have a variety of methods to go into the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Drake66

Mannix flynn up to his old tricks in his responses to the questions

" Now a lot of the cyclists think they can do what they like, can go up on footpaths and God knows what. A lot of the motorists are irate because they’ve been pushed and shoved and moved this way and that way, they’re not quite sure where to go. We also need a limit of speed on bicycles as well as on cars. "

The rest of his reponses are incoherent rambles as well. This guy is well overdue getting voted out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,414 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Advertisement