Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

elections and cycling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭purple hands

Duckjob wrote: »
    The Pat Dunne one is hilarious, it's like he's going I know I really NEED to say something positive sounding here but ..... GAAAAAHHHHH - Feckin' Cyclists!

I also enjoyed his response to question 9.
    If elected, how would you increase the number of parks and green spaces?
    Pat Dunne
    Most definitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Any tips on the best least useless candidates in Stillorgan?
    I honestly don't know how to decide between them at the moment except to vote for/against certain parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Schrodingercat

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    Any tips on the best least useless candidates in Stillorgan?
    I honestly don't know how to decide between them at the moment except to vote for/against certain parties.

From a cycling point of view Eva Dowling (Green) and Paul Gordon (Labour)are both cyclists and look to be very pro cycling . None of the rest seem to have it on their radar.

If you want to see what the current Councillors are like take a look at the recent cycle lanes put on Kilmacud road. (Its not good) .

Barry Saul in Fine Gael is pretty involved in the local parks and answers things on twitter if you judge based on that. Seems like a nice guy. (Never met him in person), but Neal Richmond is the local senator for Fine Gael and he came out recently saying he thinks helmets should be mandatory, and with Verona Murphy as a candidate in Wexford, I think Fine Gael seem pretty toxic for cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

From a cycling point of view Eva Dowling (Green) and Paul Gordon (Labour)are both cyclists and look to be very pro cycling . None of the rest seem to have it on their radar.

If you want to see what the current Councillors are like take a look at the recent cycle lanes put on Kilmacud road. (Its not good) .

Barry Saul in Fine Gael is pretty involved in the local parks and answers things on twitter if you judge based on that. Seems like a nice guy. (Never met him in person), but Neal Richmond is the local senator for Fine Gael and he came out recently saying he thinks helmets should be mandatory, and with Verona Murphy as a candidate in Wexford, I think Fine Gael seem pretty toxic for cyclists.

Thanks for the response, does seem like it's party voting really then.
    I've already taken a dislike to Saul and Richmond (wish I could remember why).
    My wife seemed impressed after talking to Dowling at the door, but all literature seems to be assumed at climate change which I feel it's a 'bigger than council' issue. The most sensible flyer I've seen was from Grainger (FG), but turns out she's not in my area.

Cheers anyway, I'll probably go green, independents and labor really.
    And then prob rate the rest by how genuine to smug they look on their pictures. That's some solid political analysis right there.
    Oh, and good knows who I'll vote for in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Schrodingercat

Deirdre Donnelly (IND) is a Shane Ross proxy (he has a grouping of independents) if that affects your choices. No interest in bikes.

Eva Dowling had a baby 8 weeks ago, so small people will be probably important to her.

If all they put on their posters is their face and a vote number 1 you can't judge on anything else but their faces. Never understood why they don't add a line "My important issues are x and y"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

but all literature seems to be assumed at climate change which I feel it's a 'bigger than council' issue.

Yes, it's bigger than council for sure but the council has a lot of impact in terms of encouraging more carbon friendly transport and better planning/zoning so that as many people don't have to commute crazy distances.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

by god, that was some field of fruitloops on the european election ballot paper.

by god, that was some field of fruitloops on the european election ballot paper.

At least 4 definite fruitloops (Gemma, Gilroy, Herman, Murphy).
    Tony Bosco Lowth I was unable to find anything about other than I'm pretty sure he's not Bosco.
    Same with the aid worker guy, name escapes me, a one minute video on RTE that detailed his aid work (good) but finished with a line about taking back control - which sounded like something Farage would say. Does not make it easy to put him much above the definite fruitloops

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Yes, it's bigger than council for sure but the council has a lot of impact in terms of encouraging more carbon friendly transport and better planning/zoning so that as many people don't have to commute crazy distances.

There is some amount of greenwashing though. They all say they care about he environment but no one actually said what it was they would do about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Don't know if "tell your pals" is one of the two, but here's hoping:
    https://twitter.com/oconnellhugh/status/1132231132815265794

• Registered Users Posts: 28,415 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Don't know if "tell your pals" is one of the two, but here's hoping:
    https://twitter.com/oconnellhugh/status/1132231132815265794
    He is - O'Neill in Dundrum (tell your pals) and Daly in Sandyford gone. Apparently the lady in Blackrock dropped Ross a few months ago, and O'Donovan in Rathfarnham ran away from the circus to join FF some time back.

A lonely soul is Min Ross.

Looks like my first preference in the local elections - mr. dublin bikes, Andrew Montague, is not looking likely to retain his seat

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭jd

Looks like my first preference in the local elections - mr. dublin bikes, Andrew Montague, is not looking likely to retain his seat

Unfortunately no. He lost half his base when the LEAs were re-drawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Was he on the look out for more pints?

More Green Party Councillors should help the effort for safe cycling post these elections.

Very sorry to hear about Montague.

Was he on the look out for more pints?

More Green Party Councillors should help the effort for safe cycling post these elections.

He was at the count today .... wearing his chains.

It's a bit sad really

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭jd

It's a bit sad really

Saw that :/

I now believe that he did try to door that salmoning cyclist and got walloped by the door. He's that big of a buffoon.

It's a bit sad really
    i would love to think he didn't get re-elected, but i guess i'm not naive enough to expect that.

• Advertisement

i would love to think he didn't get re-elected, but i guess i'm not naive enough to expect that.

7 seats and he's currently in 5th, he'll get in.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/elections-2019/results/#/local/dublin-city/north-inner-city

Some of the councillors caught up in the Prime Time fake wind farm corruption sting will top the poll in their areas - there's no accounting for people's voting.

Was one of them Queenan? For Heaven's sake, he explained all that. He was distracted by chocolate digestives and cleavage!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Thanks for the response, does seem like it's party voting really then.
    I've already taken a dislike to Saul and Richmond (wish I could remember why).
    My wife seemed impressed after talking to Dowling at the door, but all literature seems to be assumed at climate change which I feel it's a 'bigger than council' issue. The most sensible flyer I've seen was from Grainger (FG), but turns out she's not in my area.

Cheers anyway, I'll probably go green, independents and labor really.
    And then prob rate the rest by how genuine to smug they look on their pictures. That's some solid political analysis right there.
    Oh, and good knows who I'll vote for in Europe.

If not the mandatory helmet stance , he seems to also want us to rejoin the commonwealth. Once had a 'lovely' email exchange with him where he belives he is correct in posting his leaflets in my letterbox despite me having Addressed mail only clearly labelled. An absolute melt that fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Looks like this chap will finish either last or next to last. Spectacular own goal :D

Tell your political pals to fund active travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

If not the mandatory helmet stance , he seems to also want us to rejoin the commonwealth. Once had a 'lovely' email exchange with him where he belives he is correct in posting his leaflets in my letterbox despite me having Addressed mail only clearly labelled. An absolute melt that fella.

Ireland was never in the British Commonwealth.

Rechuchote wrote: »
    Ireland was never in the British Commonwealth.

It was a Dominion in 1926 when
    Britain and its dominions agreed they were "equal in status, in no way subordinate one to another in any aspect of their domestic or external affairs, though united by common allegiance to the Crown, and freely associated as members of the British Commonwealth of Nations". The term "Commonwealth" was officially adopted to describe the community.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commonwealth_of_Nations#Origins_of_the_concept_and_establishment_of_the_term

Ireland never really participated, but the UK and the other Dominions officially regarded Irish people as British subjects until the Republic of Ireland Act.

So I read recently anyway.

This was the thing I was reading. It seems pretty careful to be accurate, but I'm no expert:
    https://www.statelessness.eu/blog/irish-british-subjects-living-reminder-inter-linked-history-between-uk-and-ireland
    Further, the UK position was that, outside the territory of the Irish Free State, the position of persons belonging to it was that they were (solely) British subjects, that is that they possessed British nationality, of which Irish Free State citizenship was but a local, territorial expression. In other words, for the purposes of international law, the UK did not consider that Irish Free State citizenship was a true nationality.

(They regarded Canadian, Australian, New Zealand, South African the same way)

But since there's no longer a Dominion status to go back to, we'd have to join the Commonwealth of Nations, rather than re-join the British Commonwealth. So the "re-join" framing is wrong, I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

It was a Dominion in 1926

If I'm remembering history correctly, De Valera applied to join the Commonwealth and was indignantly refused; however, when India shucked off the empire's shackles a few years later it was sleeveenly invited to join.

Advertisement